• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Oh, to have even this much faith in them.

Oh, please.

Mike Z correctly deduced the problem while this game was still in beta.

The guy who made GGPO (also one of the EVO founders) dedicated an entire chapter of his EVO panel towards explaining why SF5 often performed poorly online, and even asked Capcom to discuss it with him.

"He should have gotten into contact with capcom." lmao.

I'm convinced more than ever that Capcom hasn't been listening specifically or actively trying not to listen to what people were complaining about in the first place. They clearly have to know theres a problem with the clients syncing demonstrated by the fact that the arcade cabs linked to each other in the same damn room will demonstrate the very same problem players have everywhere else.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Or just not let people fully boot the game if they have the mod.

The most likely outcome. As great as this fix is pc vs pc and as much as it raises questions about why the hell Capcom has done nothing about the netcode as there are clearly seemingly simple adjustments that can make a big difference, this is also people being able to go online with a modified client that directly affects online and can make the match unplayable when paired against a PS4 player. Capcom cannot allow people to go online with a mod that can make the match unplayable for an opppnent

Ideally this should lead to Capcom looking into the netcode..

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Can yall quit it with the "this breaks crossplay" misinformation? It doesn't make crossplay more unplayable than it already is. How the game worked before was that the PS4 version would usually be slightly behind the PC client as desyncs got worse and the PC player would suffer as a result. Now the opposite problem occurs because the mod delays the PC version when significant lag is detected. This delay compensates for the lag, but a non-dynamic solution will result in the other player dealing with the overcompensation. Meaning now the PS4 players will deal with what the PC dudes have for 4 years, but not as bad under most connections.

Also if the modder is really working on a dynamic implementation that reduces delay as the connection stabilizes, that's huge news that would conclusively outdo SFV's netcode in every way.

Oct 25, 2017
Can yall quit it with the "this breaks crossplay" misinformation? It doesn't make crossplay more unplayable than it already is. How the game worked before was that the PS4 version would usually be slightly behind the PC client as desyncs got worse and the PC player would suffer as a result. Now the opposite problem occurs because the mod delays the PC version when significant lag is detected. This delay compensates for the lag, but a non-dynamic solution will result in the other player dealing with the overcompensation. Meaning now the PS4 players will deal with what the PC dudes have for 4 years, but not as bad under most connections.

Also if the modder is really working on a dynamic implementation that reduces delay as the connection stabilizes, that's huge news that would conclusively outdo SFV's netcode in every way.
The way this breaks cross play is that the rational move for all console players is to limit themselves to PS4 matchmaking only, thus removing the vast majority of the player base for PC users. It's not strictly an issue of the actual connections, it's the shift in the community dynamics that will leave everyone, but especially PC players, with a smaller online community.

This modder did something with serious repercussions without nearly sufficient forethought about downstream consequences or even sufficient testing of the basics.

I just hope Capcom can nuke this without ruining all PC modding. Thanks to this modder everyone now knows it's possible to make local modifications that will push lag onto the other person, so this could mean trouble for all SFV modding and even modding in SF6.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The way this breaks cross play is that the rational move for all console players is to limit themselves to PS4 matchmaking only, thus removing the vast majority of the player base for PC users. It's not strictly an issue of the actual connections, it's the shift in the community dynamics that will leave everyone, but especially PC players, with a smaller online community.

This modder did something with serious repercussions without nearly sufficient forethought about downstream consequences or even sufficient testing of the basics.

I just hope Capcom can nuke this without ruining all PC modding.

Or, you know, fix the netcode so that a mod isn't necessary.

This isn't the modder's fault, lol. It's capcom's fault for not addressing their terrible ass netcode for the past four years that led to a somebody else thinking up a potential fix.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
I like the idea of claiming a fix was this easy, releasing it without really testing and then finding out the easy fix leads to new issues even among users who have the mod.

Oct 25, 2017
Or, you know, fix the netcode so that a mod isn't necessary.

This isn't the modder's fault, lol. It's capcom's fault for not addressing their terrible ass netcode for the past four years that led to a somebody else thinking up a potential fix.
Of course I want Capcom to fix the netcode. Disrupting the community this way isn't the answer.

The modder publicly released software that is barely tested and has obvious negative consequences for the player base as a whole. That part is absolutely their fault.

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
That is one of those nonsense rumors people use to talk shit on r/Kappa.
They have heavily supported and worked on this game for like 4 years after release now. They added different features with some of them being engineering intensive. And they have made a better netcode for MvC:I.
They would have done something if it were that easy.

I blame the weak PS4 hardware.

*facepalm*

This is not a ps4 hardware issue.

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
The modder publicly released software that is barely tested and has obvious negative consequences for the player base as a whole. That part is absolutely their fault.

It is not. Having no protective measures for your game is to blame here.
Do I have to link videos of people cheating online and Capcom not even banning them?
They did not even solve the alt+tab or macro issues for 5 years.
And based on the early reports, this patch just inverts the problem. Previously pc people got the lag, now console people get it.

You might not agree with me, but anything that breaks the status quo is good in my book.
Capcom is forced to react now. Let's see what they will do.

Last edited:

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta

I just hope Capcom can nuke this without ruining all PC modding. Thanks to this modder everyone now knows it's possible to make local modifications that will push lag onto the other person, so this could mean trouble for all SFV modding and even modding in SF6.
This is horseshit.

As a PC only player, I do not in the slightest bit care whether or not the pool of available opponents shrinks in exchange for more reliable performance, and either way, there is no one to blame for this other than Capcom.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I'm convinced more than ever that Capcom hasn't been listening specifically or actively trying not to listen to what people were complaining about in the first place. They clearly have to know theres a problem with the clients syncing demonstrated by the fact that the arcade cabs linked to each other in the same damn room will demonstrate the very same problem players have everywhere else.
I mean, it's nothing new that JP devs don't want to listen to people about netcode, even (especially?) if they know what they're talking about.
There's enough examples about that, latest in date being ArcSys.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA

To repeat, the issues that PS4 players are seeing now are legit what PC players have been dealing with anyway. Losing PS4 cross-play at large isn't exactly going to hurt the PC playerbase any more than the busted ass cross-play netcode already has done anyway.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

Pretty sure Capcom's mindset behind all of this is, "if it doesn't make money, don't bother."

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Lazy Dev Rhetoric
Fucking Capcom I swear down.
How many revisions/updates have they put out now where they could of fixed this?

I know we aren't supposed to say this but it's 100% laziness on Capcom's part. 100%.

Oct 25, 2017
To repeat, the issues that PS4 players are seeing now are legit what PC players have been dealing with anyway. Losing PS4 cross-play at large isn't exactly going to hurt the PC playerbase any more than the busted ass cross-play netcode already has done anyway.
I've played plenty of matches against PS4 players that were fine. What's the specific claim here, that PC vs. PS4 matches are laggy for the PC user 100% of the time? 80%? 50%? What value justifies potentially eliminating crossplay entirely, for everyone, as decided by one single modder?

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
This is great news. It's probably optimistic to hope Capcom will take steps to test this solution and apply a fix across both platforms but PC players gaining greater consistency of connection quality is superb.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017

I play SFV online matches on PC almost daily. I'm regularly matched with PS4 players and the kind of teleporting/rollback PS4 players are reporting caused by the mod are maybe what I experience from PS4 players in 1-in-20 matches. So I don't think the situation is comparable. All this mod is going to do is piss off the PS4 playerbase in excluding PC players in matchmaking.

Oct 25, 2017
This only happens maybe every couple of matches against PS4 players, not like this.

Oct 25, 2017
I play SFV online matches on PC almost daily. I'm regularly matched with PS4 players and the kind of teleporting/rollback PS4 players are reporting caused by the mod are maybe what I experience from PS4 players in 1-in-20 matches. So I don't think the situation is comparable. All this mod is going to do is piss off the PS4 playerbase in excluding PC players in matchmaking.
You're forgetting that many of the tests being done are comparing worst case connections. The 1-in-20 figure is likely how often PS4 players will get shit on (by their own connection mind you) when finding PC players with this mod. People complaining about the severe rollback are testing US vs Brazil connections, coast-to-coast connections, US-EU connections, etc.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This only happens maybe every couple of matches against PS4 players, not like this.

Not for me. PS4 matches have been unplayable since the CE patch. I switched to PC only, and had mostly perfect games.

Edit: I mean since CE only because I stopped playing a couple years ago because the netcode has always been trash.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
I've played plenty of matches against PS4 players that were fine. What's the specific claim here, that PC vs. PS4 matches are laggy for the PC user 100% of the time? 80%? 50%? What value justifies potentially eliminating crossplay entirely, for everyone, as decided by one single modder?

This. I cannot blame the guy for trying to fix shit that the devs of the game could have. I can blame him for not first testing this extensively between both platforms and releasing it to the public without thinking about the repercussions for the community.

PC players can be as jolly as they want about PS4 players finally getting their "comeuppance" but you cannot sit here and say this is good thing for the SFV community on the whole.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017

Capcom needs to do something. Fix the netcode so the mod isn't needed or kill it.

This is great because it forces their hand on something other than a fly away glitch.

Man, they need to start beta testing street fighter 6 right fucking now. The new online environment going into next gen needs to be TESTED as soon as possible. Fuck the "we've learned our lesson" bullshit PR speak. Fucking test it. Openly and often.

What an absolute shit show. And this is an "Olympic" game. lol, holy shit.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This. I cannot blame the guy for trying to fix shit that the devs of the game could have. I can blame him for not first testing this extensively between both platforms and releasing it to the public without thinking about the repercussions for the community.

PC players can be as jolly as they want about PS4 players finally getting their "comeuppance" but you cannot sit here and say this is good thing for the SFV community on the whole.

If only Capcom cared as much about the community as some of its players.

Deleted member 61909

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2019
Guess you can only put a bandaid on shit netcode if you didn't make it. At least he tried, hopefully SF6 is infinitely better than this netcode.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
So if you're a PC player at this point you have to install this since you're at a disadvantage if you come across someone who has the mod online and you don't right?

closer

Oct 25, 2017
This is horseshit.

As a PC only player, I do not in the slightest bit care whether or not the pool of available opponents shrinks in exchange for more reliable performance, and either way, there is no one to blame for this other than Capcom.

Yep, while it does cause issues for one of the only crossplay available fgs, it's not as if i, as a pc player, could really care much that i have to limit myself to playing with the 2k+ population if it means my in-game experience isn't awful, the latter is a much higher priority to me in a game this healthy.

I already play dbfz on pc with a lower population than sfv pc, and enjoy how it runs better on the platforn. A lot of better players are also converting to pc due to how netplay is better on the platform, the choice for better netplay is way way better than no choice at all.

It would be way more of an issue if there wasnt an option to limit yourself to your own platform, tho ofc it has a bevy of other issues; as a player tho these issues do not seem relevant to my own experience.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
So if you're a PC player at this point you have to install this since you're at a disadvantage if you come across someone who has the mod online and you don't right?
Seems like it.

If both players have the mod, then their PCs should split the delay evenly and no one should fall notably behind the other player.

But if only one player has the mod and the other doesn't, then this means that the one with the mod will be playing on a PC that can "correct" its delay as needed but the other player can't, forcing any one-sided rollback on the latter player.

Granted, this "should" only really affect connections that were rife for lopsided delay / one-sided rollback in the first place. It shouldn't really make a notable difference for players who were staying in-sync with their opponents in the first place.

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen reports that no major issues were found when playing PC modded vs PC unmodded. The videos showing pre-patch and post-patch are from connections that you'd expect to be unplayable on vanilla SF V anyway.

If you continue to filter by connection quality, you can safely ignore the mod.

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Sorry, I know other games are pulling it off, I mean their currently available options to fix it might be limited. I just don't understand it otherwise.

Their decision making is the limit here. They are actively making a decision to continue development of the game but not touch this aspect of it. For whatever reason they don't feel like allocating the resources necessary to fix this bug. The only conclusion that can be made is that they just don't think it's important. That's literally it. They do not think that the player experience online is important enough to fix.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It sounds more like all this does for crossplay is flip things around.
Instead of PC players getting the short end of the stick when the connection is bad, it's the PS4 players. So now it's a big problem all of a sudden. Not the past four years of it.
Ideally it would be a good experience for everyone, but that is reliant on Capcom fixing the game.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Their decision making is the limit here. They are actively making a decision to continue development of the game but not touch this aspect of it. For whatever reason they don't feel like allocating the resources necessary to fix this bug. The only conclusion that can be made is that they just don't think it's important. That's literally it. They do not think that the player experience online is important enough to fix.
Yep.

Japanese fighting game developers largely do not really care whether or not you can actually play their games. That sounds crazy. It IS crazy. But the past 10 years has basically proven it to be true.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Yep.

Japanese fighting game developers largely do not really care whether or not you can actually play their games. That sounds crazy. It IS crazy. But the past 10 years has basically proven it to be true.
Really people should vote with their wallets and not buy this crap if it doesn't have functioning online.

Like that new Guilty Gear. I'm not touching it with a ten foot barge pole if it doesn't have decent netcode.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
What about that new Granblue Fantasy Versus game that's going to have online qualifiers for its pro tour and still has delay netcode!?

I mean, fwiw - the netcode was pretty stable during the beta.

But it's not, nor will it ever be rollback and yeah, the fact they're doing online qualifiers for anything is a fucking joke.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Really people should vote with their wallets and not buy this crap if it doesn't have functioning online.

Like that new Guilty Gear. I'm not touching it with a ten foot barge pole if it doesn't have decent netcode.

God knows with the way that capcom does market research, they'll just interpret that as "the fighting game boom is over, shut it down, let's just stick to PS1 RPG remakes on our new engine."

Churrific

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, if this fix actively negatively affects a certain subset of players alot, I'm ok with ppl hating on it. The best thing to come out of this is making Capcom be more transparent about their business and development decisions though, and forcing more accountability on them.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Eh, if this fix actively negatively affects a certain subset of players alot, I'm ok with ppl hating on it. The best thing to come out of this is making Capcom be more transparent about their business and development decisions though, and forcing more accountability on them.

Haha. Ah...::wipes tear::

That will never happen.

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The best thing would be if this absolutely fucking breaks the game on PS4 so Capcom have to come and finally patch it.