• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I guess he is at least confirming that some new characters are coming?

Right?!?
They already did. The official twitter account confirmed more verbatim when Kage released and there's an interview on SFV's website with someone credited for creating S4's animations.

There are more characters and they've defnintely been done for a long time. There's something else they're planning to release obviously and they're gatekeeping characters behind it which was a BAD decision.
Japan's "little bit longer" can mean 6 months.
This. There's no reason they can't at least give a date for new info other than their laughably bad communication. Why does Arika have better communication about FEXL than Capcom does about one of the most well known franchises in the world?

I feel like a little longer means EVO at this point. Which is wack.

Last edited:

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
They already did. The official twitter account confirmed more verbatim when Kage released and there's an interview on SFV's website with someone credited for creating S4's animations.

There are more characters and they've defnintely been done for a long time. There's something else they're planning to release obviously and they're gatekeeping characters behind it which was a BAD decision.

This. There's no reason they can't at least give a date for new info other than their laughably bad communication. Why does Arika have better communication about FEXL than Capcom does about one of the most well known franchises in the world?

When this drops it better be huge. Like huge enough to justify 6 months of blue balling content releases.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Well at least they said something.

I doubt a full season 4 is happening. We'll get one more asset flip character this season if we're lucky.
We're essentially waiting for season 5 (Super), imo.

Sussudio

Oct 27, 2017
SFV is at the tail end of its life. If they're still adding characters, they should introduce a couple more new characters to carry over to SF6. Putting Honda in the game at this point is a waste imo.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Literally been six months since the last time they revealed a new characters or flat out talked about "season 4."

Has an active GaaS received worse treatment than this?
i suppose it depends on the definition of active but team fortress 2 has been a whole year at this point without anything substantial, and cs:go has gone on dead stints as well. i can't blame people for getting increasingly pitchforky though as they've set the expectations for seasons and have done nothing of note since farting out kage. there would probably be a lot less restlessness and disappointment had they waited until they could get a more consistent release schedule and then started dropping s4 stuff. it's this whole mixed messaging of what s4 is that's really weird.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
When this drops it better be huge. Like huge enough to justify 6 months of blue balling content releases.
They had the arcade release, the dev team did help DMCV, MHW and RE2R, released the 2 stages and many costumes and they recently has chamges in their gamedev division, Capcom USA management and eSports management.

It's normal that they had to make a break from releasing new characters. Devs have been busy with other things and there have been many important management changes that may have impacted their SFV plans.

They also announced a gazillion SFV eSports events so they won't kill the game soon, they just need some time to continue releasing important stuff.

Last edited:

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I decided to do a bit of research after this post. Here is the list of CPT Premieres/major gaming events from now until EVO:

1. Combo Breaker: May 24th
  2. Taipei Major: June 8th
  3. E3: June 11th
  4. CEO: June 28th
  5. Game Over: July 6th
  6. VSFighting: July 20th
  7. EVO: August 2nd

Considering the extreme likelihood that they're going to be releasing several characters at once, they'd have to either enforce a ban so nobody gets robbed due to matchup unfamiliarity (it's hard for me to see this happening) OR release in between the premieres that have a large gap in time between them so everyone can get used them.

So uh....After June 8th is really the only logical time there can be any kind of pre-EVO announcement.

So basically what I'm saying is that there isn't going to be shit until EVO.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
I agree. A half-assed announcement of a bunch of characters at Evo.

The only thing that I would cross my fingers for is a tease at E3 or CEO. Something cryptic and brief.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
SF5 to get an Xbox One version, to be announced at the Microsoft show at E3.

X1 exclusive Guest star announced for Season 4, it's the cloud. Most OP character in the game.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Hopefully it's them actually reworking the game instead of waiting 2 years to put a line of code for player 2 rematch.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I decided to do a bit of research after this post. Here is the list of CPT Premieres/major gaming events from now until EVO:

1. Combo Breaker: May 24th
  2. Taipei Major: June 8th
  3. E3: June 11th
  4. CEO: June 28th
  5. Game Over: July 6th
  6. VSFighting: July 20th
  7. EVO: August 2nd

Considering the extreme likelihood that they're going to be releasing several characters at once, they'd have to either enforce a ban so nobody gets robbed due to matchup unfamiliarity (it's hard for me to see this happening) OR release in between the premieres that have a large gap in time between them so everyone can get used them.

So uh....After June 8th is really the only logical time there can be any kind of pre-EVO announcement.

So basically what I'm saying is that there isn't going to be shit until EVO.
Ono asked us "to wait a little longer" and to support eSports until then, which sounds as if some major eSports events will happen until we get the announcement.

I assume this means we'll need to wait a few months to get the stuff, probably just after Evo. If it is a juicy update, maybe some of this content may be announced or teased (but not released) before, probably at E3, CEO or Taipei.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yep. And there will only be 3 characters at most
I think they might announce or tease the content at E3 or more likely Evo. I'm pretty sure that S4 will have 6 characters like the previous one.

But they won't release 5 characters at Evo because devs seems to have been busy with the arcade version and helping RE2R, DMCV and MHW teams. So they need time.

I think the most likely scenario is that they reveal the S4 plans: the 5 remaining characters, a couple of cool stages (classic Ken, Honda and Dhalsim) and some huge update as big end of season (let's call it SSFV with new modes and 2nd VSkill). But that day they only would release a character or two and the other ones would be released every month or two and the last one of the season would be released on December just after Capcom Cup.

At the end of Capcom Cup they'd announce CPT and SLF 2020 plus the 6 characters of Season 5.

SF5 to get an Xbox One version, to be announced at the Microsoft show at E3.
Won't happen because Sony put money on the game in enchange of console exclusivity of all SFV versions at least for this generation.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I think they might announce or tease the content at E3 or more likely Evo. I'm pretty sure that S4 will have 6 characters like the previous one.

But they won't release 5 characters at Evo because devs seems to have been busy with the arcade version and helping RE2R, DMCV and MHW teams. So they need time.

I think the most likely scenario is that they reveal the S4 plans: the 5 remaining characters, a couple of cool stages (classic Ken, Honda and Dhalsim) and some huge update as big end of season (let's call it SSFV with new modes and 2nd VSkill). But that day they only would release a character or two and the other ones would be released every month or two and the last one of the season would be released on December just after Capcom Cup.

At the end of Capcom Cup they'd announce CPT and SLF 2020 plus the 6 characters of Season 5.

Won't happen because Sony put money on the game in enchange of console exclusivity of all SFV versions at least for this generation.
But RE2 & DMC5 are over at Division 1. If anything, MHW may take resources from SFV since they're both made at Division 2 (& even that's unlikely).

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
They had the arcade release, the dev team did help DMCV, MHW and RE2R, released the 2 stages and many costumes and they recently has chamges in their gamedev division, Capcom USA management and eSports management.

It's normal that they had to make a break from releasing new characters. Devs have been busy with other things and there have been many important management changes that may have impacted their SFV plans.

They also announced a gazillion SFV eSports events so they won't kill the game soon, they just need some time to continue releasing important stuff.

You may be able to explain why their communication has been dreadful. You might be able explain why so little of substance has been released in the last six months. But what you can't do is explain away how low the morale of their fanbase has dropped. Truth be told, Capcom has done this game a great disservice.

I mean, SFV has been mangled since day one, but this last six month period was the chef's kiss of shitty management. They are going to need to deliver BIG if they expect to get this train back on the tracks.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
But RE2 & DMC5 are over at Division 1. If anything, MHW may take resources from SFV since they're both made at Division 2 (& even that's unlikely).
Capcom always shared devs between their divisions. Scroll down here to see SFV and DMCV share over 100 workers, over 90 with RE2R and MHW. More than with SFIV.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/street-fighter-v/credits

There seem to be 2 groups, games where they share over 80 workers and games where they share under 60. And not related to their divisions. Probably these 60 aren't devs but instead people from management, marketing, publishing, localization, Capcom USA/Europe staff, Q&A etc., people who may appear in all Capcom games.

Sure but what if Microsoft put MORE money forward!?
Well, the game didn't sell a lot so I assume MS won't be that interested. In this kind of deals they secure the stuff by asking the one who breaks that with a gazillion dollars fine plus maybe send them to court, so in addition to this money MS should also pay a gazillion money to compensate Sony.

And well, it would affect Capcom's relation with Sony, something they don't want considering their partnership for other games, as they had with Monster Hunter World or RE7.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's more likely they're working on SFVI now than doing much for SFV.

SFVI development is going to take years- maybe they want it as a launch title for next-gen consoles, or near launch?

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
In a Capcom's Q&A session with investors they mentioned SF:

Q: Can we expect any changes for future Street Fighter titles, considering the games' usage in esports?
A. We would like to explore ways to provide added value to players, such as features that heighten their sense of immersion. However, we have nothing specific to share at this time. We will examine this issue based on the data we gather through upcoming league play

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/explanation/2018/full/explanation_2018_full_03.pdf

Not sure what they mean with "league play", but I'd say they aren't talking about the "SF League" events. Sounds more likely that they are talking about getting in-game metrics data. More likely they may be talking about score/rank/division we get by playing in the current ranked battles, but who knows if they are talking instead on an upcoming League Mode.

I also wonder when are they going to update the "Game Series Sales" and "Platinum Titles" data. They still show the numbers from Dec 31st 2018 there, so they show 42.0M for SF series and 2.9M for SFV.

Last edited:

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just bummed that now we'll never get a pre-experiment Necro fighter. It was a longshot even if SFV actually got new characters through 2020, but now it's just never going to happen. Oh well.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
That didn't seem all that likely, but that's based on Necro as we already recognize him having a cameo in the Halloween stage more than anything else.

Ganyc

Oct 26, 2017
In a Capcom's Q&A session with investors they mentioned SF:

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/explanation/2018/full/explanation_2018_full_03.pdf

Not sure what they mean with "league play", but I'd say they aren't talking about the "SF League" events. Sounds more likely that they are talking about getting in-game metrics data. More likely they may be talking about score/rank/division we get by playing in the current ranked battles, but who knows if they are talking instead on an upcoming League Mode.

I also wonder when are they going to update the "Game Series Sales" and "Platinum Titles" data. They still show the numbers from Dec 31st 2018 there, so they show 42.0M for SF series and 2.9M for SFV.
"at this time" always means "shut up and wait for the official announcement at *insert big show like E3 or TGS*"

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That's corporate speak for "we got nothing".
"at this time" always means "shut up and wait for the official announcement at *insert big show like E3 or TGS*"
Yup, seems like a typical reply to say "we'll continue with SFV for a while so I have no idea about SFVI so who knows when are we going to have something to share about future SF games".
I'm just bummed that now we'll never get a pre-experiment Necro fighter. It was a longshot even if SFV actually got new characters through 2020, but now it's just never going to happen. Oh well.
It would be a great idea, that also would justify to give him a different moveset to differientate him from other more or less similar characters in the game.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
SFL out of context
YYyBXZn.gif

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
The players and commentators are giving this entire event more life than I initially counted on. That the matches have been stellar can almost be seen as a plus.

#FreeLaura, though. Idom is on CFN racking up 50+ win streaks out of sheer frustration. These online warriors are being punished because everybody else at SFL fears that man's main that much.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
The US Army is playing SFV again, and a Lt. Commander is the guest commentator with some nuts chemistry with IFC Yipes, lmfao

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
The 30th Anniversary Collection and even SFxT run on linux.

The only ones that can't run are Vanilla SF4 and SFV.

Status
Not open for further replies.