• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's a shame that NRS are being called out for MK11 for being grindy while SFV made changes that made the FM economy fucked and being ignored.

1k FM from challenges and 50FM from winning online matches to unlock characters and stages that cost 40k-100k FM
This is because as you know what you are saying isn't true because there are many other FM sources that you don't mention: main story, char stories, leveling up in survival or online, golden/silver soldiers, trials, demonstrations, ads, weekly missions... you can unlock a lot of stuff without paying real money with very low effort required, basically you just need to play the game to continue unlocking stuff for free. And certain DLC stuff you can or almost must pay it with real money like in most other modern games.

But yes, many people complained about it when they did the change. About this and about many other topics. Several toxic community members have been throwing shit non-stop to the game since day one for any other real or imaginary issue. I suggest you to read this thread the OT1, reddit or even the Eventhubs comments.

Last edited:

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
My week with MK has really shown me how hard capcom has dropped that ball in regards to...everything in terms of SFV and their whole fighting game division for the past 8 years.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They've never been called out for reducing the amount of FM earned as well as completing SP content. Jim Sterling called them out for the "lootbox" but that's it. Everything else is back when the game first released.
dead games don't get called out

My week with MK has really shown me how hard capcom has dropped that ball in regards to...everything in terms of SFV and their whole fighting game division for the past 8 years.

Not that I entirely disagree, but out of curiosity, how exactly, in comparison to MK11?

Last edited:

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Not that I entirely disagree, but out of curiosity, how exactly, in comparison to MK11?

Single player shit, online being insanely well thought out/workin, insane graphics, great community engagement, and a seemingly amazing internal dev cycle that lets them pump out a game like this seemingly effortlessly.

Barring all the dumb WB forcred grindy bullshit, NRS seem to have "solved" how to make fighting game appeal to casuals. The formula is really just...

-story mode
-arcade mode (with some sort of twist). Capcom got this right with their choose the era arcade mode. But it's a little half baked and NRS towers take the win.
-some sort of rpg/stat/loot progression mode and game system.
-and then another distraction/mini game (for mk11 its that bullshit krypt mode)

Like, to us, none of this matters. But when I was a kid I played the shit out of fighters by myself. World Tour in Alpha 3 or VF4's tour mode were god sends that kept giving me a reason to play.

And then the fucking "just works" online. Matches feel amazing. The way they handle opting out of bad connections before a fight. How the ping/bars don't seem to lie and not fuck you with some random dude from Brazil.

Like, I'm no NRS stan. I hate the sluggishness revolving MK. And you tell me I gotta take that sluggishness online? That sounds like my worst nightmare. But...I've sat here all week dumb founded and how I've had 98% great matches. I can react and whiff punish with ease. It's crazy to me.

Add to all of this amazing graphics, great voice work, AND multiple different intros and dialog with all the characters.

Like, check out this Blade Runner reference. The whole game comes off as some smash bros tier labor of love. Heart and personality is everywhere.

And then I look at capcom and see the struggle shit of
sf x tekken's bad launch
mvc 3 into ultimate in the same year shitfest
reusing sf x t characters and assets for sf4 / decapre
the SFV beta / launch / FUCK don't get me started...
and then the big one...mvci

NRS has had boob ninjas and fucked up faces and animations but, you know what, they seem to actually learn and GROW. Where's the growth from capcom?

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's clear that MK has much more ambition, production values, and perhaps effort put into it than SFV did.

On the other side, for elements I prefer in SFV:
  • I like the SFV aesthetic more than MK's edginess. The music in NRS games coninues to be unmemorable and bland, while the SFV music pops.
  • SFV's current training mode is better than MK's. The frame data calculator is actually better, and you can try to find a match while being in training mode. It astounds me that MK11 doesn't allow this, when even Smash has this.
  • Finding and analyzing other players is a million times better with CFN than what MK has going. You can only search through the top 100 players on the leaderboard. What is that?
If Capcom can get their shit together and finally learn the lessons they should have from their recent games and more, and also focus on making an online experience/netcode that can rival MK's, it'd be really something.

Last edited:

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, there is a ton SFV does better.

Replays are handled better. And SFV has the best training mode of all time hands down. "Do a button on block" is needed so hard in MK. And the overall responsiveness of how SF is played I'll always prefer. Yeah, and everything else you said, Flux. Like, I won't stop playing SFV anytime soon but it's just amazing to see a product I think street fighter should be come from those goof balls at NRS. I've always thought mk was super corny...yet here I am playing a fighting game with a block button willingly lol. Crazy to me.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
]

MK11 isn't treated like a GAAS. They also mention a fix for the SP progression

They are doing this because fans made a stink about it, as the fans should had.

So no shame they got called out. It lead to them addressing the issues.

Unless we learn they had all this in the pipeline before people got their early copies and started hitting the interwebs with the their issues.

Part of me thinks they tested the waters to see if they could get away with it (NRS does mobile games as well, with this kind of grind) or they shipped with the bad designs for this outlying stuff and planned to fix it at launch with patches. Doesn't seem like it though, cause patch wasn't ready day 1 (you have to get it in the cooker at 1st party).

This is where capcom fucking sucks. They do not react fast enough. Be it, they don't care, they don't think whatever things people are complaining about are issues, don't have the resources or talent. Who knows.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
Does anyone here believe that...somewhere, tucked away inside of Capcom's HQ, there's a bunch of characters waiting to be unveiled in SFV? Do they exist or not? I must know!

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Capcom can get their shit together and finally learn the lessons they should have
This is really the biggest problem isn't it. Japanese companies don't tend to learn from that kind of failures, the lesson they generally learn is "OK, it didn't work the way it used to, but if we try doing the same thing but harder, it will probably return to when it was working really well!". And so on until they crash and decide to drop the whole thing.
I'd love for Street Fighter to have its own RE7 / MHW moment, but I'm not optimistic about it. Maybe now that Ono is gone... TBH he should have been gone after SFxT.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe now that Ono is gone... TBH he should have been gone after SFxT.
No shit.

What Capcom should do is collaborate with Crafts & Meister for Street Fighter VI. If they teamed up with Dimps of all people, they might as well team up with the studio literally run by the man who produced SSF2T, the entire Alpha series, SF x X-Men, and MvC.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you know what C&M has been doing for the last 10 years? Of all the possible answers, C&M is definitely not one of the good ones.
SF5 has shown they still have quite a lot of talent internally, they just need a structure that allows the talent to express itself. Capcom is not creatively bankrupt, just stiff because of old people at the senior roles.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
Does anyone here believe that...somewhere, tucked away inside of Capcom's HQ, there's a bunch of characters waiting to be unveiled in SFV? Do they exist or not? I must know!

I do. I think they are holding back on them for the time being because they want to figure out the best way to make money off this season. I'm in the camp that they will drop a bunch of characters at Evo.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who likes playing against CPU's I really hope next Capcom fighter has better singleplayer modes. But maybe something more like World of Light rather than Towers of Time.

If there's one thing Capcom should ABSOLUTELY rip off, its custom costumes. I am kinda done paying real money for a set in stone costume while games like Tekken, SoulCal, Injustice and now MK lets me just make my own with stuff from items earnable in-game, Capcom is very behind the times on this front.

Last edited:

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
They are doing this because fans made a stink about it, as the fans should had.

So no shame they got called out. It lead to them addressing the issues.

Unless we learn they had all this in the pipeline before people got their early copies and started hitting the interwebs with the their issues.

Part of me thinks they tested the waters to see if they could get away with it (NRS does mobile games as well, with this kind of grind) or they shipped with the bad designs for this outlying stuff and planned to fix it at launch with patches. Doesn't seem like it though, cause patch wasn't ready day 1 (you have to get it in the cooker at 1st party).

This is where capcom fucking sucks. They do not react fast enough. Be it, they don't care, they don't think whatever things people are complaining about are issues, don't have the resources or talent. Who knows.

They do, only related to gameplay related bugs and gaming outlets when the game came out. But these sites aren't going to reporting issues on the game's flaw. Reviews thought the netcode was good and the AE review just only speaks about the SP with no comment on the FM reduction. The same with S4 ehen Kage came out.

Sites also reported there wasn't a penalty for RQ. Capcom added one and was even praised when it can easily be exploited.

The problem is big gaming outlet aren't reporting the game's issues that are currently present. Only sites like Eventhub and gaming forum do and that's small compared to your IGN, Gamespot and Kotaku where people go to see game reviews and news.

Fighting Chance was called out by Kotaku and Jim Sterling but it was misleading because the mode is similar to lootboxes and people hate lootboxes

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
As someone who likes playing against CPU's I really hope next Capcom fighter has better singleplayer modes. But maybe something more like World of Light rather than Towers of Time.

If there's one thing Capcom should ABSOLUTELY rip off, its custom costumes. I am kinda done paying real money for a set in stone costume while games like Tekken, SoulCal, Injustice and now MK lets me just make my own with stuff from items earnable in-game, Capcom is very behind the times on this front.

Tbh, I hope they don't copy how Namco does it. This is imho of course, some of that shit looks garish in the Namco stuff. And I hate how sc6 hs all your clothes coming off , looks dumb.

If they go the Namco route, I hope they give the option for me to not see customs online.

I like the way MK11 does it right now. DIffrent skins and you customize pieces on your kit. Like for claw, let me customize the mask and claw and stuff like that.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Single player shit, online being insanely well thought out/workin, insane graphics, great community engagement, and a seemingly amazing internal dev cycle that lets them pump out a game like this seemingly effortlessly.

Barring all the dumb WB forcred grindy bullshit, NRS seem to have "solved" how to make fighting game appeal to casuals. The formula is really just...

-story mode
-arcade mode (with some sort of twist). Capcom got this right with their choose the era arcade mode. But it's a little half baked and NRS towers take the win.
-some sort of rpg/stat/loot progression mode and game system.
-and then another distraction/mini game (for mk11 its that bullshit krypt mode)

Like, to us, none of this matters. But when I was a kid I played the shit out of fighters by myself. World Tour in Alpha 3 or VF4's tour mode were god sends that kept giving me a reason to play.

And then the fucking "just works" online. Matches feel amazing. The way they handle opting out of bad connections before a fight. How the ping/bars don't seem to lie and not fuck you with some random dude from Brazil.

Like, I'm no NRS stan. I hate the sluggishness revolving MK. And you tell me I gotta take that sluggishness online? That sounds like my worst nightmare. But...I've sat here all week dumb founded and how I've had 98% great matches. I can react and whiff punish with ease. It's crazy to me.

Add to all of this amazing graphics, great voice work, AND multiple different intros and dialog with all the characters.

Like, check out this Blade Runner reference. The whole game comes off as some smash bros tier labor of love. Heart and personality is everywhere.

And then I look at capcom and see the struggle shit of
sf x tekken's bad launch
mvc 3 into ultimate in the same year shitfest
reusing sf x t characters and assets for sf4 / decapre
the SFV beta / launch / FUCK don't get me started...
and then the big one...mvci

NRS has had boob ninjas and fucked up faces and animations but, you know what, they seem to actually learn and GROW. Where's the growth from capcom?

Honestly I don't see how most of what you mentioned relates to Capcom "dropping the ball." As shit as they may be, SFV does have a story mode, an arcade mode, and character progression (and you yourself call Krypt mode bullshit, and based on reactions it doesn't seem to have been received favorably this time around). Seems you want better production values in general, which sure, okay. I agree that it remains to be seen if Capcom's fighting division is actually capable of learning from their mistakes, but probably not, looking at MvCI.

This is what I believe

5Iyrqj0.gif

Last edited:

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I also found that I much prefer MK nowadays. I can't tell you why, I don't really care about story modes. I think I just didn't love SFV as much as I loved SFIV. SFIV > MK9, but MKX, 11 > SFV to me. MK11, as scammy as it is, has given me in a week more (free) cool outfits for my main than SFV has since launch. All because I main Sim and not an animu waifu. It all boils down to gameplay of course, but MK has really caught on and is really fun now.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
From my time at northwest majors, it felt like everyone and their mother had a pocket G. I'm not even kidding. And I played Danny Pham's zangief a few sets for the first time since S3 and...jesus holy hell Geif is on another level right now. Scary as fuck. And I was asking around and a lot of people didn't give two fucks about mk and don't care about the lack of a new character, which I found interesting.

Also, I randomly popped on my own twitter feed in this clip on my way to mk top 16.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
And I played Danny Pham's zangief a few sets for the first time since S3 and...jesus holy hell Geif is on another level right now. Scary as fuck.
Part of that is Pham, I think. I follow him on Twitch and he's a very momentum-based fighter--when his gambles work, he's the best Gief in the game (yes, better than Ita, Snake, and Stoop). Problem is he can get flustered and lose early in pools.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
It's clear that MK has much more ambition, production values, and perhaps effort put into it than SFV did.

On the other side, for elements I prefer in SFV:
  • I like the SFV aesthetic more than MK's edginess. The music in NRS games coninues to be unmemorable and bland, while the SFV music pops.
  • SFV's current training mode is better than MK's. The frame data calculator is actually better, and you can try to find a match while being in training mode. It astounds me that MK11 doesn't allow this, when even Smash has this.
  • Finding and analyzing other players is a million times better with CFN than what MK has going. You can only search through the top 100 players on the leaderboard. What is that?
If Capcom can get their shit together and finally learn the lessons they should have from their recent games and more, and also focus on making an online experience/netcode that can rival MK's, it'd be really something.

I think it helps that WB spends WAY more money than capcom and pretty much everyone else does. So NRS basically didn't cut corners while everyone else did in some area or two. MK 11 seems to have all the parts in their complete form that the other games in the genre are missing.

[Sigma]

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This legit might have been the worse top 8 beating in a while.😂 The look on their faces at the end of the match. Like their soul was sucked from their body. Strider was beating them in every aspect of the game. Even when they did a little damage on him(G)he would had already built enough V gauge for Vtrigger offensively and it was a wrap. No comeback for you😂. Almost felt bad watching that but F it🎩👉🔥🔥🔥

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
I'm so happy that Strider won! How dirty is the c.HP anti air comboed into whiffed Spin Kick followed up with the command grab. I grinned every time I saw it. Xian got 2nd at the comp in Singapore, too. Good weekend for the players I like.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Oh, there is a ton SFV does better.

Replays are handled better. And SFV has the best training mode of all time hands down. "Do a button on block" is needed so hard in MK. And the overall responsiveness of how SF is played I'll always prefer. Yeah, and everything else you said, Flux. Like, I won't stop playing SFV anytime soon but it's just amazing to see a product I think street fighter should be come from those goof balls at NRS. I've always thought mk was super corny...yet here I am playing a fighting game with a block button willingly lol. Crazy to me.

I can't think of what SFV does better. Retrying ToT is free while SFV Survival Mode cost FM and what Capcom is doing with FM isn't helping either. Let's not forget that Survival was insufferable before AE

It has Online Private and Practice mode.

Frame Data is built into the Move List and can be viewed in game.

Challenges to earn Koins as well in Ladders

Best 3 out of 5 and character select in Rank as well as the ability to switch characters in the middle for the loser.

The only thing SFV does better is the replay feature that MK11 lacks.

Oggy

Oct 28, 2017
U.S.
He's right. Reacting to forward dash is very difficult. You have to know it's coming to properly check or punish it. Even then, it's still hard.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I would like SF6 to build on the aesthetic of TvC, CvS or even MvC3. I'm very impartial on the looks of SF4 and 5. Plays it a bit too safe.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Yay, new Chun costume coming soon! http://www.capcom.co.jp/game/content/streetfighter/info/game/5672
sfv-190426-onitsuka-article2.jpg

If you buy the special Chun-Li "MEXICO 66 SD" sneakers this July, it comes with a code for an Onitsuka Tiger costume for Chun. I guess it's better integrated than the other sponsored content, but the sneakers are ~160 USD, lol. And I thought 6 bucks for the CPT costumes was steep.
Red Bull costumes were the best marketing they've done. I don't get why they aren't willing to partner up again. Don't they still have Red Bull sponsored tournaments?

Status
Not open for further replies.