• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So no character announcement in Final Round :/
The next update is on 26th and I doubt that new stage will be the only addition. We'll probably get a costumes blog post sometime in the upcoming week.
There is a time limited costume bundle that ends this month, maybe they'll replace it with another one (Megaman Costumes Bundle maybe?). Before the 26th they also have that SFVAE eSports event in Japan, so maybe they announce the next character there since now they seem so focused to pump the Japanese eSport scene. It would fit for a Japanese focused character like Honda or Sodom.

Omar310

Oct 27, 2017
UK
How y'all be looking being disappointed at no announcement today
D15C7TqXcAI-39g.jpg

NaM

Feb 7, 2018
I wasn't really expecting an announcement but still got disappointed and don't really know why.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'd really like to know what's going on at Capcom Japan. Someone is foolishly thinking this is the proper way to support this game and I'd love to ask them so many questions.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
The delay is just because we're getting 10 characters this season and they need some extra time. Book it.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Their timing and communication of S4 sucks, but I'm thinking the arcade machines are what's causing it. They just released SFV in arcades, and those are crossplay with the home versions of the game. Any major updates would have to be synchronous and that's probably going to slow things down going forward. Arcade Tekken 7 what, only just got Noctis?

Would be nice to get some concrete details out though.

Would've been even nicer if the character they kicked the season off with wasn't a turd.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
My theory still holds strong.

Lack of news because lack of content for S4; developmental resources have been moved on. Lack of communication because they're not talking about unannounced games just yet. You'll get new characters, just fewer of them and farther between and probably with more reused assets than usual.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'd really like to know what's going on at Capcom Japan. Someone is foolishly thinking this is the proper way to support this game and I'd love to ask them so many questions.
Since they started the new season they signed several eSport related deals and seem to be working on more, made the Uniqlo deal, released the arcade version, several costumes, the ex8 color, the stage and announced another stage. Not bad for a couple of months for a 3 years old game.
My theory still holds strong.

Lack of news because lack of content for S4; developmental resources have been moved on. Lack of communication because they're not talking about unannounced games just yet. You'll get new characters, just fewer of them and farther between and probably with more reused assets than usual.
Please stop saying "Lack of communication" and "Lack of content for Season 4". It's just a LIE. They communicated, announced and released many things during Season 4. Please say instead "lack of new character announcements since Kage" instead if you mean this. It's a very different thing.

Regarding the development resources, we know they released the arcade version of the game this week, so obviously at least a part of them had to be moved there for some months. Now the arcade version is released so they can go back to the game. Capcom has many SFV eSports events and keep announcing every month more and more and made very important partnership deals, so obviously they will keep supporting the game for a while and to do so they will release more content, something that we can assume looking at the placeholders they recently added to the game we spotted through datamining.

They just released SFV in arcades, and those are crossplay with the home versions of the game. Any major updates would have to be synchronous and that's probably going to slow things down going forward.
If I don't mistake the most recent 2 or 3 game updates were for PS4, PC and the arcade version. The porting now is complete, and that was what it required a lot of work from the dev team. Once now is done, the arcade version is basically the PC version with another menu and a couple of new features as only differences. To release new content like new characters, stages, costumes or colors works exactly like before, the arcade version doesn't affect that and will be updated at the same time as console and PC version, it won't cause any issue.

The delay is just because we're getting 10 characters this season and they need some extra time. Book it.
No, won't happen. At least what datamining tells us is that when they added the S4 placeholders they added the for 6 characters included Kage. And when adding Kage, in that same update added in another place the code for the next character, and in the most recent update they added in that place a second character coming after Kage.

I assume this means that S4 is going to have 6 characters including Kage and that they are still working on them one by one, and seems that a couple of them are more or less almost ready while the other still don't. If releasing the characters one by one the people is already whining because they have to wait like 3 months or so between characters, to release all upcoming characters at the same time would be even worse because a couple of months after that people would be winning and trolling again but this time they would have to wait an entire year until they have more characters ready, so it would be worse.

To spread the characters across the year gives people reasons to come back to the game every few months instead once per year, something they prefer because once people comes back can buy more dlc other than the characters and keep people active in the online so matchmaking is able to find people more similar to your level and faster.

Last edited:

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Since they started the new season they signed several eSport related deals and seem to be working on more, made the Uniqlo deal, released the arcade version, several costumes, the ex8 color, the stage and announced another stage. Not bad for a couple of months for a 3 years old game.

It's bad. In fact, it's horrible.

Arcade release is whatever. You're not exciting people outside of Asia with that, it might as well not happen for how much it will impact anything. The coolest costumes and the best stage in SF history are worth nothing until they give us a reason to turn the game on at all.

Please stop saying "Lack of communication" and "Lack of content for Season 4". It's just a LIE. They communicated, announced and released many things during Season 4. Please say instead "lack of new character announcements since Kage" instead if you mean this. It's a very different thing.

Regarding the development resources, we know they released the arcade version of the game this week, so obviously at least a part of them had to be moved there for some months. Now the arcade version is released so they can go back to the game. Capcom has many SFV eSports events and keep announcing every month more and more and made very important partnership deals, so obviously they will keep supporting the game for a while and to do so they will release more content, something that we can assume looking at the placeholders they recently added to the game we spotted through datamining.

Again: don't care about any of this. There's no reason for the vast number of hardcore consumers to care about any of this.

When we complain about no communication, we mean specifically communication about content that matters. "You can expect information ___". That's probably all it would take.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Please define "content that matters". The announcement of new characters I mentioned maybe?

Yes, new characters. Which hasn't been announced in any way. When are they coming, when should we expect news, anything at all to spark interest or excitement in this dying, boring mess of a game?

Placeholders on the CFN website is not it.

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
I recall several times being told "hold your complaining, Ono said wait until Final Round". Maybe not here but Twitter for sure.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, new characters. Which hasn't been announced in any way. When are they coming, when should we expect news, anything at all to spark interest or excitement in this dying, boring mess of a game?

If you think the game is dying and boring, why do you care about a character coming? Go focus on a game you actually like

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Well to be fair, when they bring in Super T Hawk, Shin Blanka and Perfect Dan I see everyone flocking back to the game, especially Luce (assuming he actually owned the game to begin with, I have my doubts ;) )

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
They never communicated that they were going to remove the 2500 FM weekly mission, and last year they never said they were going to halve the FM values for all weekly missions. They gave some vague message about changes to Shadaloo soldiers, which ended up being the limiting of them to one try, once a month. They also never say what the FM limits for ad campaigns are (it's around 2500 FM for the current one, for those who are curious). I think "lack of communication" perfectly describes how they've been handling the FM system, much less character reveals.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
You'll take your grass stage and be happy with it. But seriously, that stage does look rather nice. Pity we have no idea when any new characters are coming (I believe in the data mining shown off in this thread, its only a matter of time, I hope)

mujun

Nov 1, 2017

Are you complaining because you actually care or do you just want to shit on something because you don't like it?

Sussudio

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, what character do you guys want? I see people throwing fits on twitter calling the game stale and boring because they didn't reveal a character. I'm trying to figure out what character will actually change up the game that much, because I got nothing. It's just gonna be the same shit, > reveal a character > maybe some hype > play for a week > uninstall or go back to their mains because the new character isn't going to be viable competitive wise until the next seasonal patch. I don't even think the hype is going be there at all because I'm still banking on a Honda reveal or something on that level and it's just gonna deflate the crap outta everyone even more.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Haha, maybe Capcom wouldn't have blown their load with the G/Sagat double release if they had known this would he the state of the player base.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you think the game is dying and boring, why do you care about a character coming? Go focus on a game you actually like

"Dying" and "Boring" when it's still more relevant than other FG's in its 3rd year and will continue to be after new FG's released this year. It's evident he doesn't care about the game and is simply trolling at the moment.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
"Dying" and "Boring" when it's still more relevant than other FG's in its 3rd year and will continue to be after new FG's released this year. It's evident he doesn't care about the game and is simply trolling at the moment.

Are you complaining because you actually care or do you just want to shit on something because you don't like it?

I understand that this is the OT and some fans are happy to be apologists for the game and the company, but I've almost certainly spent more time defending this game on this board and the old one than you have. I put thousands of hours in on this game and many more on the franchise; wrote damned essays defending the early game FM system from nonsensical drive-by posts from people who didn't have a beginners understanding of how easy it was to get the characters for free and why every other game would cost you twice as much.

So I'm taking the goddamn right to call this tire fire what it is because it's not close to good enough and it needs a lot to change or to be wholesale replaced. I think it's being replaced. I'll take a quality update, though.

Last edited:

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I don't think the game is finished just yet, but now we're three months in with so little, I'm convinced plans have changed and 2019 is the final year for SF5 support.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
I understand that this is the OT and some fans are happy to be apologists for the game and the company, but I've almost certainly spent more time defending this game on this board and the old one than you have. I put thousands of hours in on this game and many more on the franchise; wrote damned essays defending the early game FM system from nonsensical drive-by posts from people who didn't have a beginners understanding of how easy it was to get the characters for free and why every other game would cost you twice as much.

So I'm taking the goddamn right to call this tire fire what it is because it's not close to good enough and it needs a lot to change or to be wholesale replaced. There's no passion or joy in this game at any level.

If you are going to mention apologists just under a quote of mine then kindly show me where I've been acting like an apologist. Back it up.

And then after that you go all, "I am an expert on Japanese culture." What does any of that have to do with discourse? As you say with your tire fire comment this is a matter of opinion and expertise has nothing to do with it, not to mention that you come off as high and mighty.

I'm still yet to see a solid argument as to how this game suffers in comparison to other fighters. I guess you could call it stale because it's been out for 3 years but correct me if I'm wrong in that time it's had the most consistent release of new characters, patches, costumes, etc of pretty much any fighting game. Sure season 4 has been lackluster so far and some people have already lost patience but let's not forget the three season before that.

Maybe you just don't like the game, and that would be fair enough but that is a different conversation.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Honestly, what character do you guys want? I see people throwing fits on twitter calling the game stale and boring because they didn't reveal a character. I'm trying to figure out what character will actually change up the game that much, because I got nothing. It's just gonna be the same shit, > reveal a character > maybe some hype > play for a week > uninstall or go back to their mains because the new character isn't going to be viable competitive wise until the next seasonal patch. I don't even think the hype is going be there at all because I'm still banking on a Honda reveal or something on that level and it's just gonna deflate the crap outta everyone even more.
Honestly at this point I do not even want any of the characters I was holding out on to return because that would probably hurt their chances of being an early addition to Street Fighter VI.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
If Fighting games where more mainstream, SFV would have been eaten alive. But since time has pass and Arcade Edition added Arcade Mode, nobody cares.

You look at news what Bungie or Bioware did right or wrong, but you look at Capcom and the only news you mostly see are from Eventhub or ResetEra on google search.

Capcom has done good with Resident Evil, Monster Hunter and Devil May Cry. But you see the fighting game division as a black sheep.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
If you are going to mention apologists just under a quote of mine then kindly show me where I've been acting like an apologist. Back it up.

And then after that you go all, "I am an expert on Japanese culture." What does any of that have to do with discourse? As you say with your tire fire comment this is a matter of opinion and expertise has nothing to do with it, not to mention that you come off as high and mighty.

I'm still yet to see a solid argument as to how this game suffers in comparison to other fighters. I guess you could call it stale because it's been out for 3 years but correct me if I'm wrong in that time it's had the most consistent release of new characters, patches, costumes, etc of pretty much any fighting game. Sure season 4 has been lackluster so far and some people have already lost patience but let's not forget the three season before that.

Maybe you just don't like the game, and that would be fair enough but that is a different conversation.

I didn't mean to imply that you, specifically, we're an apologist. Frankly don't know you from anything. But there are certainly those here would rather dismiss criticism as a troll than, you know, criticism. I love Street Fighter and want it to be supported to an acceptable level. It hasn't been at any point, even with characters at a faster rate, and it's never been more dire than now.

I don't mean to sound high and mighty. I certainly take exception to the idea that I'm "trolling". I have spent hundreds of dollars, thousands of hours, and hundreds of posts on this game. I don't make it a point to bother this much about shitty games I don't care about. It is a tire fire, and that's of course my opinion, but also a widely held opinion throughout this games life. Few games, ever, will end as criticised and reviled as Street Fighter V in the FGC. It didn't need to be but Capcom has categorically failed it. No meaningful system update in it's entire life. No netcode fix. Few important QOL updates besides AE itself and now the one thing they've been okay with, character DLC, has fallen off.

SF's advantage has always been a solid place as the backbone of the FGC and SF4 was one of the games that built Twitch from a certain viewpoint. SFV has regressed in the FGC and it's regressing in CPT viewership. It's clearly, objectively stagnant and dying. I'd rather it didn't until it was replaced.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm taking the goddamn right to call this tire fire what it is because it's not close to good enough and it needs a lot to change or to be wholesale replaced. I think it's being replaced. I'll take a quality update, though.

No one cares if you put "thousands" of hours into the game and no one said you don't have a right to complain - it's just the melodramatic hyperbolic comments that I don't really understand. Game is probably the best it's been balance/character wise and I don't see how more characters will change the meta much now. Although, they are obviously welcome.

SF's advantage has always been a solid place as the backbone of the FGC and SF4 was one of the games that built Twitch from a certain viewpoint. SFV has regressed in the FGC and it's regressing in CPT viewership. It's clearly, objectively stagnant and dying. I'd rather it didn't until it was replaced.

SFV was the most watched FG at Final Round and peaked somewhere around 60K viewers in top 8. Wouldn't call that regressed when the competition is getting less than a quarter of that.

Last edited:

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
No one cares if you put "thousands" of hours into the game and no one said you don't have a right to complain - it's just the melodramatic hyperbolic comments that I don't really understand. Game is probably the best it's been balance/character wise and I don't see how more characters will change the meta much now. Although, they are obviously welcome.

New content ignites interest. It's not about upsetting the meta. I want to play something that's interesting and new because the game right now is stale.

Between Capcom's lack of ability to fix the games core issues, the lack of meaningful updates, the failure of MVC:I and the regression of CPT: There's a chance SF goes away again.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

New content ignites interest. It's not about upsetting the meta. I want to play something that's interesting and new because the game right now is stale.

Between Capcom's lack of ability to fix the games core issues, the lack of meaningful updates, the failure of MVC:I and the regression of CPT: There's a chance SF goes away again.

Perhaps it's not just for you at the moment? I mean SF4 still (apparently) exists so I guess you can play that game with a few dozen that are online playing that game. I doubt SFV is going anywhere anytime soon, not with the updates we have been getting in the last 3 months, and with CPT still going strong it's still relevant at the moment.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If Fighting games where more mainstream, SFV would have been eaten alive. But since time has pass and Arcade Edition added Arcade Mode, nobody cares.

You look at news what Bungie or Bioware did right or wrong, but you look at Capcom and the only news you mostly see are from Eventhub or ResetEra on google search.

Capcom has done good with Resident Evil, Monster Hunter and Devil May Cry. But you see the fighting game division as a black sheep.

Their FG division has been absolute balls and needs major shakeup. Ono needs to get booted completely. How can you run an alleged GaaS with essentially no communication whatsoever with your playerbase?

Status
Not open for further replies.