• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
You have to give credit to the content team for SFV. The game is several years old and their primary job is modifying the gameplay mechanics to keep the meta alive and drive DLC sales.

They COULD have ignored the find and issued bans to modified installs of SFV.

When it became possible to reduce input lag, they issued a patch to fix it. When they got tipped off to a simple netcode fix, they implemented it in less than a month.

We can give shit to Capcom for SFV's botched development and launch, but they've maintained the game for four seasons at this point and it's undeniable that they have worked amazingly hard to make SFV as good as possible.

I hope that the love and care they have put into post-live support for SFV translates to their next fighter.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I can clearly see their defense posts saying stuff like "it's fine now", "People are still watching and entering tournaments", and going as far as calling me toxic and the reason they hate the community (Lol), but to say it took them 4 years to make all of those horribly greedy skins available on a new entry you have to purchase, it's simply ridiculous. How about rewarding all players who already bought the game (about 3 million people worldwide) and make them available for free? And How about working together with the people that fix the netcode for the steam version and making the game ACTUALLY playable online? (which btw, a lot of people are still complaining of not being fixed)

But let's go with "i'm toxic". Yeah.

No one is calling you toxic bud. There's just disagreement on what makes SFV a enjoyable experience for others, while it isn't for the other half.
I have my fair share of criticism on SFV as many others do, but there has at least been attempts to change things for the better and the support for people who do enjoy the game is definitely better than say MVC:I where it was dropped right after.

SFV is definitely at a point where if you weren't a fan of it and nothing even now has swayed you, that won't change. But with word on SF6 being on the horizon, lets hope that starts off on a better leg for everyone and that it takes feedback from SFV (both positive and negative) to do that.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
No one is calling you toxic bud. There's just disagreement on what makes SFV a enjoyable experience for others, while it isn't for the other half.
I have my fair share of criticism on SFV as many others do, but there has at least been attempts to change things for the better and the support for people who do enjoy the game is definitely better than say MVC:I where it was dropped right after.

SFV is definitely at a point where if you weren't a fan of it and nothing even now has swayed you, that won't change. But with word on SF6 being on the horizon, lets hope that starts off on a better leg for everyone and that it takes feedback from SFV (both positive and negative) to do that.

I know you didn't, just didn't replied to those that did as to avoid what i deem is unnecessary discussion over the matter. We'll leave it at: some people do like it.

But yes, as SFVI is in the horizon, people should sound off their complaints and feedback so that they can take it hard into consideration, since Capcom has done a MIGHTY GOOD JOB with their recent games and franchises. (and soon that DC revival)

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The updated netcode functions a lot like Altimor's mod in practice, which makes the people moaning and crying last night on twitter about it all the funnier. It tends to introduce slowdown and a general chunky/underwater feeling to your own inputs in certain high ping connections in lieu of the usual animation frameskipping that SFV is known for (although there's still that sometime instead, the randomness effect of SFV's netcode will never go away I guess). I never liked this about the mod, and I don't like this now. The one thing I enjoyed about SFV online is that my own inputs felt the same as when I was in training mode, even if my opponent was teleporting around the stage. It's the exact same complaint I had about the Altimor mod. Like I personally don't find that better, just a different way of handling lag. If you have a good enough connection with a player it's going to feel solid (as it did before), and you won't really feel the chunk. Played a bunch of matches last night against people from the Era discord and they all felt really good despite me being in Peru and they in North America. It's just going to depend who you connect to. The one thing that does seem like has been corrected is one-sided rollback has been largely corrected, at least it isn't anywhere near as extreme as it used to be. In about 90 minutes of playtime nobody I played against suffered from it, the connection was impressively stable.

The problem with SFV is still matchmaking, not necessarily its rollback netcode. Those bars so often mean very little.

I can clearly see their defense posts saying stuff like "it's fine now", "People are still watching and entering tournaments", and going as far as calling me toxic and the reason they hate the community (Lol), but to say it took them 4 years to make all of those horribly greedy skins available on a new entry you have to purchase, it's simply ridiculous. How about rewarding all players who already bought the game (about 3 million people worldwide) and make them available for free? And How about working together with the people that fix the netcode for the steam version and making the game ACTUALLY playable online? (which btw, a lot of people are still complaining of not being fixed)

But let's go with "i'm toxic". Yeah.
Capcom should just give away the game for free to be honest. In fact they should pay you to download it. That's the real solution.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, so personal update :

I've done a few matches tonight, they were significantly better than this morning.

This morning it was SFV at its worst. Tonight it ran mostly well, still some random stutter or half second freeze here and there, but otherwise no teleport hell.

I think the game's matchmaking might be the reason why it can be terrible : it thinks some awful connections are 5 bars and match you with them.

In the morning I assume not many people with optimal connections for me were up, but I had it set to 4 minimum and then 5 only bars. It gave me horrible matches.

Also it considers that EU to West Coast USA is 4 bars sometimes. Which is insanity as that should be 1 bar at most.

So basically it's a coin flip. Playing at peak time may alleviate the issue ? Not sure.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
The updated netcode functions a lot like Altimor's mod in practice, which makes the people moaning and crying last night on twitter about it all the funnier. It tends to introduce slowdown and a general chunky/underwater feeling to your own inputs in certain high ping connections in lieu of the usual animation frameskipping that SFV is known for (although there's still that sometime instead, the randomness effect of SFV's netcode will never go away I guess). I never liked this about the mod, and I don't like this now. The one thing I enjoyed about SFV online is that my own inputs felt the same as when I was in training mode, even if my opponent was teleporting around the stage. It's the exact same complaint I had about the Altimor mod. Like I personally don't find that better, just a different way of handling lag. If you have a good enough connection with a player it's going to feel solid (as it did before), and you won't really feel the chunk. Played a bunch of matches last night against people from the Era discord and they all felt really good despite me being in Peru and they in North America. It's just going to depend who you connect to. The one thing that does seem like has been corrected is one-sided rollback has been largely corrected, at least it isn't anywhere near as extreme as it used to be. In about 90 minutes of playtime nobody I played against suffered from it, the connection was impressively stable.

The problem with SFV is still matchmaking, not necessarily its rollback netcode. Those bars so often mean very little.

Capcom should just give away the game for free to be honest. In fact they should pay you to download it. That's the real solution.

Don't see /s
So i'll take it as legit. Yes, you got the right idea.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I've had mixed results with the mod. Heck we played SFL Norcal vs Socal on the mod and it was extremely bad with a lot of slowdowns.
Then went back to base PS4 and it was fine on both ends.

You don't have to take my word for it, there were dozens of hours done of testing, on stream.

And in 95% of cases it made a gigantic difference. Personally it ran like a dream for me and my friends. (couldn't play without it before)

We don't know what's causing the netcode to break, whether it was the mod or the actual SFV patch.

But what I experienced this morning was literally the worst time I have had on this game since the Beta.
It was a lot better tonight, I have no idea. I think the game is flagging awful connections as "5 bars" and you're being matched with this. And in lobbies, unless you play with people you know, you can't trust bars either.
It's a mess. The inconsistency doesn't really make me want to play anymore, but if it seems to work for most people I'm glad for them.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles

I initially thought Capcom's take on the Altimor patch was preserving some one-sidedness to avoid slowdown, but I now see that chunkiness is present in the worst cases...and that's my nightmare since the mod was introduced come to life. I will take teleporting over that any day of the week.

That said, I'm happy that the game is constantly resyncing now, so runaway desync shouldn't be an issue anymore.

I'm still going to keep my online settings at 5 Bars Only, though. It seems like this patch has made good connections more consistent and bad connections a different kind of bad.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
I think the game's matchmaking might be the reason why it can be terrible : it thinks some awful connections are 5 bars and match you with them.

In the morning I assume not many people with optimal connections for me were up, but I had it set to 4 minimum and then 5 only bars. It gave me horrible matches.

Also it considers that EU to West Coast USA is 4 bars sometimes. Which is insanity as that should be 1 bar at most.

Matchmaking is fkin terrible. The game will show a 1 bar connection as 5 bar then suddenly it ll become 1 bar again.

My online experience is smooth now , only because i have manually blacklisted tons of people who i lag with.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Alright, so personal update :

I've done a few matches tonight, they were significantly better than this morning.

This morning it was SFV at its worst. Tonight it ran mostly well, still some random stutter or half second freeze here and there, but otherwise no teleport hell.

So basically it's a coin flip. Playing at peak time may alleviate the issue ? Not sure.

I'm pretty sure the matchmaking is making things way worse than they should be. My first 2 games post patch had me matched with someone in Mexico and the very next one in Panama. That is assuming those people who had those flags were actually in those counties since players can pick their own flags. I find incredibly hard to believe that no one on the east coast US was playing the game. Even then why not the midwest? Why the fuck did match making send me damn near a continent away?

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I know people will complain that they did this too late but I welcome Capcom being more communicative with their audience. Badly needed from their fighting game division.

It is good, but why was it 2 days after the fact? The best time to release patch notes is before the release not after.

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
They probably only released the patch notes at all as a response to community demand.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Oh... So they CAN explain what the patch did. Just you know. 2 days after the fact instead of just before.
It is good, but why was it 2 days after the fact? The best time to release patch notes is before the release not after.
Seems obvious, they did it because of the shitstorm surrounding the release of this.

Happy to see anyway that releasing detailed notes on a netcode update is in fact possible.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
This turned out perfect. They exposed how mindless, ignorant and (in sajam's case) rude the fgc's so called leaders can be AND they gave us patch notes showing they are working to improve the netcode. Keep up the good work Capcom.

giphy.gif

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
This turned out perfect. They exposed how mindless, ignorant and (in sajam's case) rude the fgc's so called leaders can be AND they gave us patch notes showing they are working to improve the netcode. Keep up the good work Capcom.

giphy.gif

Is this satire? Lol when you remove a fan added netcode improvement and don't tell people exactly how your patch is better, a shitstorm is to be expected. Glad to see they dropped some notes though.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Capcom, if you're reading this, can you please incorporate a benchmark test for PC to help make sure the computers of players meet your standards? I'm not sure if this is reasonable this late in SFV's life, but at least do it for SFVI. Also give us an indicator to see if the opponent is using Ethernet or Wi-Fi.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Is this satire? Lol when you remove a fan added netcode improvement and don't tell people exactly how your patch is better, a shitstorm is to be expected. Glad to see they dropped some notes though.

I mean these are the people who un-ironically said that the FGC deserves to be destroyed for this.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
If you are experiencing these issues during your online matches, it may be due to your or your opponent's network environment setting. In these situations, we recommend you review your network setup.
Oh boy I missed this. I hope it's not one of those "our work is done, if you still got problems, not our fault" disclaimer, because there is still much more to do.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Capcom, if you're reading this, can you please incorporate a benchmark test for PC to help make sure the computers of players meet your standards? I'm not sure if this is reasonable this late in SFV's life, but at least do it for SFVI. Also give us an indicator to see if the opponent is using Ethernet or Wi-Fi.

For maximum visibility, you should send any constructive feedback/request to sfvserver and yoshi_onochin :-)

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Imagine thinking not removing an unauthorized, fanmade patch that breaks cross-play is in any way acceptable.

I think you unsurprisingly missed my point entirely lol. This all could have been avoided entirely if Capcom had worked on fixing their Elmer's glue constructed netcode ages ago. It's sad that it took one random person's hours long tenacity to inspire Capcom to replicate their unpaid labor for the good of their playerbase.

Edit: the Capcops are here!

Oct 25, 2017
I think you unsurprisingly missed my point entirely lol. This all could have been avoided entirely if Capcom had worked on fixing their Elmer's glue constructed netcode ages ago. It's sad that it took one random person's hours long tenacity to inspire Capcom to replicate their unpaid labor for the good of their playerbase.

Edit: the Capcops are here!
Your point is flawed because the patch had to be removed whether they improved the netcode or not. You can't have people modding the game for online play and basically "cheating" against PS4 users. Good on them for improving the netcode as well though.

Oct 27, 2017
I played with friends for a few hours just now and outside of the occasional lag spike it was pretty solid. Felt like SFV, for better or worse lol.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
My post was sarcasm, their FG division is not on point.

Point is that they're getting better but still have a long long way to go.

Your point is flawed because the patch had to be removed whether they improved the netcode or not. You can't have people modding the game for online play and basically "cheating" against PS4 users. Good on them for improving the netcode as well though.

But you do acknowledge that they likely wouldn't have done this if not for said patch?

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017

giphy.gif
It was pretty amazing to see James Chen and UltraDavid call the death of SFV for about an hour from second hand sources about the netcode. At least james apologized for jumping the gun but he should have waited to try the netcode since its what he preaches almost every week.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the game needs :

- PC benchmark
- Wifi filter
- 8 bars indicators instead of 5 bars (Eu to US shouldn't be 4/5 bars, ever)

Currently I simply can not play the game. The amount of randomness and inconsistency makes it impossible for me to enjoy this.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl

I mean of course you can't have that. My problem is not that they were simply removing it. It's that it took a random user to improve it on their own (for one platform) 4 years after everyone has had to swim in seas of lag with no life boat in sight. You wouldn't have had the "PC fix" if Capcom fixed it ages ago. During this time I just played against PS4 users only to avoid the issue altogether which shouldn't have been the case but I'm glad it happened because now Capcom has listened.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I feel like capcom should actually add all these user suggestions whereever possible to SFV and then hopefully they can implement ALL the same features on whatever comes next from day 1. Turn themselves into a defacto industry standard benchmark game that all should aspire to instead of constantly playing catchup. There will always be people who complain obviously and I for one would have been fine with even just locking out the fan mods (because you can't tell who does and does not have it and it broke one of the games best features AND you can't have added randomized connection issues if you plan to use an online tournament mode in any serious capacity). The adjustments to the netcode are doing exactly what people said they liked about altimors mod and this was accomplished in barely a month. Hopefully any remaining issues that can be fixed without a total rewrite can be implemented as we all move forward.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I feel like capcom should actually add all these user suggestions whereever possible to SFV and then hopefully they can implement ALL the same features on whatever comes next from day 1. Turn themselves into a defacto industry standard benchmark game that all should aspire to instead of constantly playing catchup. There will always be people who complain obviously and I for one would have been fine with even just locking out the fan mods (because you can't tell who does and does not have it and it broke one of the games best features AND you can't have added randomized connection issues if you plan to use an online tournament mode in any serious capacity). The adjustments to the netcode are doing exactly what people said they liked about altimors mod and this was accomplished in barely a month. Hopefully any remaining issues that can be fixed without a total rewrite can be implemented as we all move forward.

This would be the wise way to go. They probably see it as a sunk cost for SFV, but they gotta look at the bigger picture. Being able to iterate and test netcode changes live with this game would save them time and money for the next game.

It's not speculation to say that either. That investment paid off for NRS with MKX. Their subsequent games benefitted from that initial investment.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
This would be the wise way to go. They probably see it as a sunk cost for SFV, but they gotta look at the bigger picture. Being able to iterate and test netcode changes live with this game would save them time and money for the next game.

It's not speculation to say that either. That investment paid off for NRS with MKX. Their subsequent games benefitted from that initial investment.

Ultimately I feel like SF6 NEEDS to knock it out of the park from Day 1. They can't afford another SFV launch.

It may sound dumb but SF6 needs to be the: MH: World of Street Fighter.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the game needs :

- PC benchmark
- Wifi filter
- 8 bars indicators instead of 5 bars (Eu to US shouldn't be 4/5 bars, ever)

Currently I simply can not play the game. The amount of randomness and inconsistency makes it impossible for me to enjoy this.
Definitely needs region filter. I only want US to US matches luckily they have the blacklist so I just put every foreigner I run into on it.