• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should Capcom start including guest characters in Street Fighter?

• Yes, & it should be done in Street Fighter V.

Votes: 104 8.9%
  • Yes, but they should save them for Street Fighter VI (&/or beyond).

Votes: 193 16.4%
  • No, Capcom has enough Street Fighter characters to pull from.

Votes: 878 74.7%

• Total voters

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

Remapped88

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I wouldn't mind it but I'm gonna go with nope since they already have a lot of cool characters they can pull from. If anything FF are basically like guest characters in a way lol.

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
On one hand I wouldn't mind as long as it's like Terry Bogard, and not Rick Grimes.

On the other they could add characters from Rival Schools or Power stone.

On the last hand, using characters from Power stone or Rival Schools may encourage Capcom to further neglect those franchises.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
No, not every fighter needs guest characters. I wouldn't mind more Capcom series getting absorbed into SF though

TBH, the appeal of guest characters in fighters is baffling to me. Folks tend to complain and not even buy into sequels of their favourite series if their mains aren't there.... guest characters in fighters are like the ultimate 1-shot characters (excepting cases like DOA, KOF and Smash of course). It doesn't help that including them probably makes re-releasing games a hassle too, bc of licensing bullshit.

Sure it's fun at first (and more importantly, it probably makes a lot of money) but it's always come off as a short-sighted gimmick that doesn't really seem helpful to a series in the long-term.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I think the guest skins do a much better job than actual characters.

And Capcom should fix their netcode before they start looking at alternative methods of monetization for their next fighting game.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
No, not every fighter needs guest characters. I wouldn't mind more Capcom series getting absorbed into SF though

TBH, the appeal of guest characters in fighters is baffling to me. Folks tend to complain and not even buy into sequels of their favourite series if their mains aren't there.... guest characters in fighters are like the ultimate 1-shot characters (excepting cases like DOA, KOF and Smash of course). It doesn't help that including them probably makes re-releasing games a hassle too, bc of licensing bullshit.

Sure it's fun at first (and more importantly, it probably makes a lot of money) but it's always come off as a short-sighted gimmick that doesn't really seem helpful to a series in the long-term.

It pays off in EXPOSURE BUCKS

Bringing attention to a game from an audience that is outside of the usual group.

People might not like Anime but they might like JON SNOW in blazblue cross tag battle!

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Considering the lore of SF isn't exactly the most tightly knit thing, having guest characters wouldn't even be that much of an issue. What Tekken 7 did with Akuma was pretty amazing.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Between street fighter characters, final fight characters and potential rival schools characters they have a huge roster as is.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
A guest character from a franchise they don't own would make it difficult to keep rereleasing the game like Capcom likes to do.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I just think that Capcom doesn't need to follow what everyone else is doing, just because it generates hype or makes more money. It feels lacking in integrity in my opinion.

I don't think anyone here is saying they should go buck wild with guest characters. As I think how characters are implemented plays a part in the "integrity" you speak of. Since there's a big difference from 1 or 2 guests from maybe some rival fighters versus a ton of guests from whomever will give a check out.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
That's a no from me dawg, unless it's Capcom related. We don't even have Rolento in V yet, too much home grown talent missing to care about guests.

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
I don't think anyone here is saying they should go buck wild with guest characters. As I think how characters are implemented plays a part in the "integrity" you speak of. Since there's a big difference from 1 or 2 guests from maybe some rival fighters versus a ton of guests from whomever will give a check out.
Yeah, I just personally prefer full-on crossovers over having a few guest characters in a fighting game. It still feels "tacked-on" to me. I highly prefer them continuing to expand the world that they've already built. Like in the case of SF, if they pull from other Capcom series and canonize them, that's dope! But if Kazuya or Terry shows up, it somehow feels...lame.

I feel this way about every fighting game though, including the ones that do it like MK, Injustice, and Tekken, so I know that I'm in the minority.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
It pays off in EXPOSURE BUCKS

Bringing attention to a game from an audience that is outside of the usual group.

People might not like Anime but they might like JON SNOW in blazblue cross tag battle!

I suppose that makes sense

Though as a Soul Calibur fan, I have to question if it's really that effective/helpful

Because while Link in Soul Calibur 2 did get a lot of attention, it feels like it only brought attention to SC2 specifically

I feel like bringing Slam Masters into the mix is the most obvious thing that they just won't do for some reason

I thought it was because of some weird rights issues with the characters/artist

The only Slam Masters characters I've seen outside of that game are in that one SF: Alpha stage (with Lynn from Aliens vs Predator. Coincidentally, she's another character that Capcom doesn't really own)

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Because while Link in Soul Calibur 2 did get a lot of attention, it feels like it only brought attention to SC2 specifically

Well, Soulcalibur did have the issue of immediately abandoning Nintendo systems afterwards, so it's not they could carry any momentum from that.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Soulcalibur did have the issue of immediately abandoning Nintendo systems afterwards, so it's not they could carry any momentum from that.

That's a fair point.

Now I kinda want to see a SC6 on Switch with BotW Link, just to see if it really bump up numbers for the series

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
OP is fundamentally wrong, as there were guest characters starting with the alpha series when we saw final fight characters in there.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SF has the best characters out of any fighters they can pull them from older titles. They don't need guest characters from other Companies, if final fight counts or rivals schools which technically they wouldn't because those are established sf canon

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
I prefer SF's method of taking other Capcom products and absorbing them into their world

Final Fight, Rival Schools, Slam Masters, Strider, Ruby Heart, Pirate Ship Higemaru

all of 'em, just keep doin' what they're doin' (Ruby and Momotaro should really become playable though)

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I prefer SF's method of taking other Capcom products and absorbing them into their world

Final Fight, Rival Schools, Slam Masters, Strider, Ruby Heart, Pirate Ship Higemaru

all of 'em, just keep doin' what they're doin' (Ruby and Momotaro should really become playable though)
You forgot Captain Commando

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
The prevalence of guest characters from other companies in fighting games right now makes them feel small time, like the games can't get attention on their own.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, keep it pure. Even more so when we still have characters we haven't seen in 20 years not having returned yet.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The prevalence of guest characters from other companies in fighting games right now makes them feel small time, like the games can't get attention on their own.

in other fighters i feel like guest character devalue characters of intended game series because instead of putting returning cast that slot is used up as a guest character.

xmonkeyofevil

Jun 9, 2019
I feel like any desire Capcom has for guest characters in SF is served by full blown crossover games. And there's tons of them.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
we need to make it canon that Devilotte is descended from the Kanzuki Zaibatsu
it's too easy to pass up, even if they fucked up and gave Menat the devilotte costume like a bunch of IDIOTS

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

They can't.

We establish that graphics and character roster sells fighting games right? Therefore having guest characters outside of the usual roster would expand the audience beyond the usual base.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no but they should use rival school characters