• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should Capcom start including guest characters in Street Fighter?

• Yes, & it should be done in Street Fighter V.

Votes: 104 8.9%
  • Yes, but they should save them for Street Fighter VI (&/or beyond).

Votes: 193 16.4%
  • No, Capcom has enough Street Fighter characters to pull from.

Votes: 878 74.7%

• Total voters

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
time travel has been a part of the KOF canon for a while now, so it's not an issue

Wait, time travel is canon? I thought all those dead characters returning and all that was just dream matches! Guess I gotta read up what happens after the Orochi saga, lol.

But, okay, I'll concede. Guest characters in the context of the thread specifically refers to third party characters, which I don't think the Street Fighter series needs since guests are usually added just to help give more visibility to the franchise hosting them, and Capcom, if they ever need to boost attention towards their games they can just add costumes from their own IPs, they also look super awkward sometimes, like everything they have crossed over with in Monster Hunter.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Also, aren't Nakoruru, Mui Mui and what's her name the pirate guest characters in KoFXIV?

King of Fighters from the start was supposed to be a crossover fighter, thus the Psycho Soldier, Ikari Warriors and even the Sports team. it's just SNK pretty much stopped adding characters from games outside of Fatal Fury/AoF after KoF 94 (outside of extra strikers in 2000, which included even Metal Slug and Last Blade characters, in addition to Nakoruru and some other older franchises), which is why those 3 stand out now.

I guess it depends on one's definition of guest. Nakoruru is from the same timeline as KoF, since I think one of the Samurai Shodown characters has some relation to Mai, but Nakoruru isn't even from the same century as Kyo and friends and aparently the pirate, Love Heart, was sold to another company according to the wiki:

Nakoruru is actually in KoFXIV for the same reason she is in the post-Samurai Shodown 2 games (the 3d ones) - she's a materialized spirit. It's not actually the human Nakoruru.

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
It would be a good way for Street Fighter V to break off of its blonde hair, blue eyed characters that has been drowning the cast. It is slowly turning into Aryan Fighter instead of capitalizing on the diversity it used to display and was better for it.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
time travel has been a part of the KOF canon for a while now, so it's not an issue

Yeah and speaking of time travel, I have a hunch we'll be seeing World Heroes characters in KOF XV. It's just the natural progression of the series as a company crossover game why original characters and story.

Yes.

I always felt it was pretty BS that Capcom will shove their characters into any game known to man but won't do the same for others in the SF series. Especially when you consider everyone else is making good money off of it.

I feel like this, but I'm just baffled they haven't even dipped their toes into adding Rival Schools characters.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Nah, it's already got the best characters of any fighting game.

giphy.gif

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah and speaking of time travel, I have a hunch we'll be seeing World Heroes characters in KOF XV. It's just the natural progression of the series as a company crossover game why original characters and story.
I'm still bitter that the Savage Reign and Buriki One guys only got to be in one KOF game before they took them away

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little sick of guest characters at this point.

Unless they're SNK characters in KOF, which is just them remembering that it's a crossover series.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing wrong with Street Fighter sticking to Street Fighter characters. We get Cody, Guy, Hugo, Poison (Final Fight) and stuff from other games if you need, they are just Capcom characters, that shouldn't make it as if it's not a guest character now that I think about it.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not a big fan of guest fighters. I think it's disappointing, because it muddies the identity of the game (look at Tekken, where watching high level Geese and Akuma gameplay doesn't even look like Tekken anymore), and I think strengthening the identity of your the games own roster is a better option when thinking about the overall brand.

What I would really like to see is more big brands licensing out their IPs to studios to make fighting games, centered exclusively on their IP. Like Granblue, Dragon Ball Fighters Z, Injustice and Pokken Tournament.

What if Namco made a Star Wars fighting game? Or a God of War fighting game with all the norse and greek gods? What if Capcom made an X-Men fighting game?

There's nothing wrong with Street Fighter sticking to Street Fighter characters. We get Cody, Guy, Hugo, Poison (Final Fight) and stuff from other games if you need, they are just Capcom characters, that shouldn't make it as if it's not a guest character now that I think about it.

I think characters like Cody are really embedded into the Street Fighter lore. I think that makes a big difference.

It's like if you stay at someone's house for too long, you eventually cease to be a guest, right? There's a line somewhere.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Let Street Fighter be Street Fighter.

If they want to do a game with guest characters, we got the VS. Series for that.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
As long as they make sense like having Geese or a darkstalkers character, and not like Spawn or Master Chief or not-fighting-game characters.

They should make a deal with Akira and get Skullo or Garuda.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Street Fighter does have a lot of guest costumes also, for what that's worth. All from other Capcom IP though.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never cared much for the influx of guest characters in fighting games, personally. Keep that to the crossovers, imo.

Since Darkstalkers are Dead, they can dig into that well, though.

mecaguendeu

Oct 16, 2019
If Capcom puts a guest character before Gouken and any of other dozens requested character that aren't in the game, I'm going to be quite salty. The same if they do that in future games.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I consider Capcom Vs games to have guest characters. Especially Xmen VS Street Fighter and Marvel VS Street Fighter

And then we had the whole Capcom VS SNK which was a glorified SF VS KOF

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Here are a few ideas that come to mind, from animes or fighters:
_Ippo Makunouchi as boxer
_Yujiro Hanma from Baki
_Cervantes from Soul Edge
_Kenshiro from Hnk

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be happy with Capcom and Capcom-adjacent characters.

Anything outside of that and I'd want a Vs. game.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
SF needs a shake up to be relevant again so I think something like this would be ok.

Nov 4, 2017
While I like a good guest character, I think for a series it shows more confidence in the entry if they don't have guests. Soul Calibur is defined by what guest star is in each entry.

Also I think it's cool that fighting game characters can grow and change over time and having a guest show up one game to hav their novelist never return is a shame.

Deleted member 51306

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
The most annoying thing on the planet for me personally is when you have tons of un used characters from the franchise and you jam in a ton of guest characters. Looking at you Netherrealm. I know those characters sell well and that's why they do it.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA

I'm mostly being cheeky, but I genuinely think SF being this untouchable series in regards to character and guests is a really weird take to have.

I'm still bitter that the Savage Reign and Buriki One guys only got to be in one KOF game before they took them away

Yeah, I think they came at the worst time. XI was the peak of Neo Geo sprites, maybe even the swan song and they just... didn't feel like they were worth the trouble of upgrading them in XII/XIII style or converting them to 3D for XIV (They just had their hands full with doing everyone else). Again, I feel like with XV, they might go crazy since they don't have to scramble to do everyone else now.

I'm still waiting for a Metal Slug Team.

I think the trouble with Metal Slug in KOF is that a lot of their moves are still based around firearms and weaponry which really clashes with the martial arts tournament setting of KOF. Save them for another wacky vs game or Neo Geo Battle Coliseum. Going back to Street Fighter, I think that's part of it. I still think adding Rival Schools characters would fit or other characters they could sort of re imagine into SF.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be cool with it. Not sure what "having enough reserve characters" has to do with anything. Both Nintendo, Mortal Kombat, and Tekken have a huge roster of characters currently not in their games, but still do good jobs with guest character inclusion. Doesn't stop guest characters being great inclusions.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
No. Guest characters are only good in Smash.

The only guest characters I like in Tekken are Geese and Akuma.

The rest are bad IMO. Especially in MK.

bad_carbs

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda like the fact that they keep showing up in other games for decades but they have yet to include a guest character in their own game. I wanted to say final fight characters were kind of guest characters, but they are part of the SF lore

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It always amazed me how much this forum seems to hate guest fighters versus how much money they seem to make elsewhere.
Guess it just goes to show how small of a sample we really are.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have an issue with it as long as its not a large amount of them. Just a couple is fine.

The Tekken cast in SFxT was incredibly fun, and I would happily take any of them in a proper SF game, for example.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Only if it's characters that 100% fit in that world, so just characters from other Capcom fighting IPs (Rival Schools, Slammasters etc) or games they've crossed over with before (KoF, Tekken).

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
Nakoruru is actually in KoFXIV for the same reason she is in the post-Samurai Shodown 2 games (the 3d ones) - she's a materialized spirit. It's not actually the human Nakoruru.

Oh, cool, didn't knew that one, but now that you mention it, yeah, spirits have been in Kof for a while. I forgot Mature and Vice were still appearing after they were killed by Iori.

Varth

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Nah ... Guest chars usually don't show up in every iteration and end up being part of the main story.

Street%2BFighter%2B30th%2BAnniversary%2BCollection%2B-%2BStreet%2BFighter%2B89.jpg

Then you have chars like Zeku , who is heavily linked to a Final Fight character. And then goes on to link SF to another franchise.

zeku-sfv-story-artwork3.jpg

Don't really think they are guests at this point.

Is this an actual screenshot or some sort of meme? Cause holy shit I remember the art being BAD, but not THIS BAD.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Tekken, KOF, and/or Fighting EX Layer characters yes because of street fighter having history with these franchises. Anything else, 3rd party guest wise, not interested.

Unless I'm mistaken, parts of SFV's lore attempt to imply the EX Layer cast exist in the same universe. Darun Master is the character Zangief gives one of the Black Moons to off-screen. They're still considered somewhat Street Fighter characters.

KoF would be kinda cool. Put Terry in another game, please.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Yeah why not. Maybe someone that's not from another 2D fighter. The Tekken side of SFxT were translated to 2D in a pretty fun way and I'd like to see Capcom's take on characters from other franchises like Virtua Fighter.