• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Question, how did Ono influence SF? Are there any "Ono-isms" that can be seen throughout his time on these games? With him gone, so far are there any noticeable changes?

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Ono into the really horny female character designs? Mika, Laura, jiggle physics Chun, etc…
That's one thing that I thought as well but I'm not sure. I'm also wondering if he's someone who pushed the more "slapstick" side of SF. Not that it wasn't slapstick in parts before, it definitely was, but I noticed it a bit more with 4 and 5 than any prior. Like I don't know, Rufus for example. I wonder how Rufus would be if he were in SF2 or even SFA. I think he'd be portrayed a lil bit differently then compared to how he was in 4.

If that makes any sense.

J_Macgrady

Oct 25, 2017
Question, how did Ono influence SF? Are there any "Ono-isms" that can be seen throughout his time on these games? With him gone, so far are there any noticeable changes?
Well for one there doesn't seem to be any comeback mechanics in this game. Also, the characters in SF6 so far don't have any goofy animations or facial expressions. I got nothing but love for Ono though. Who knows if SF would even still be around if he didn't advocate for it back in the PS3 gen.

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest difference for fans is how open and responsive the Street Fighter team has been since he left. We literally never even saw the people working on the game before. That was reportedly Ono's fault.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Well for one there doesn't seem to be any comeback mechanics in this game. Also, the characters in SF6 so far don't have any goofy animations or facial expressions. I got nothing but love for Ono though. Who knows if SF would even still be around if he didn't advocate for it back in the PS3 gen.
Yeah I give Ono full respect and love for reviving SF and the genre in genre in general, always. The goofy animations and facial expressions is interesting, I figured he might have had a part in that. Even Blanka looked normal in that leaked artwork.
The biggest difference for fans is how open and responsive the Street Fighter team has been since he left. We literally never even saw the people working on the game before. That was reportedly Ono's fault.
Good point, yeah you're right about that. Wow.
Obese character for comedic effect was one of his things too
Welp, that explains a lot.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019

StayHandsome

Nov 30, 2017
This is not a PS5 exclusive tho. They are also releasing it on Xbox Series and PC. So even without PS4, they'd have a lot of potential costumers. And we have to keep in mind that this game is not coming out for another year. We've already seen stats like PS5 selling over 20 million units and while the chip shortages and lack of availability is still very much a problem, it has gotten better to some degree and will keep getting better.

Also another thing to consider is that even with cross-gen games, we've seen time and time again that a good number of people rather wait to get a current gen console and get the current gen version of the game they want, than to play it on the last gen hardware it's available on.

Last gen support is a thing that might make sense on paper and in isolation, but I honestly don't think it'll pay off all that much in the end when it's all said and done.

Got to take into account countries like Brazil where adoption of new consoles is slow, but software sales potential (especially for competitive games like SF) is good.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be so happy if this really doesn't have a comeback mechanic. You just get a full drive meter with tons of options but no 'hehehehe, my turn now!!!' cancel into block advantage because you've been taking damage.

That would be so fucking amazing.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
I made a couple of gifs:

biYvSz1.gif

cX7ZKxc.gif

DeadeyeNull

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 26, 2018
His role for 3rd strike was sound producer so the hip-hop vibe for that game he might be partially responsible for.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
I made a couple of gifs:

cX7ZKxc.gif

What is this? I still can't figure it out. I don't think it's a parry into drive rush because the attack whiffs. I don't think it's drive impact because I think the attacks that looks like Ryu's SF4 focus attack and his SFV Ryu's VT2 punch is the drive impact which basically is a focus attack. And it's also not drive reversal because Ryu didn't block anything. And it's not an EX move because that uppercut move is not one of his specials.

So what am I missing? My best guess is that you can do parry into drive rush even on whiff. Which would be kind of nutty if true.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
His role for 3rd strike was sound producer so the hip-hop vibe for that game he might be partially responsible for.
I'd feel comfortable attributing that vibe to Hideki Okugawa. Even his non Street Fighter work has that jazzy/hip-hop flair. Hell, the Adam the Clown theme from Dead Rising sounds like it could be a lost Third Strike track.

Nothing but respect for Ono from me though, even if I don't necessarily agree with some of the ways he handled the IP.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017

It's feeling like "ladies with muscles" was an Ono thing, because Chun and Cammy already have way less muscle definition compared to SFV. I hope I'm wrong about this though

We can also thank Ono for our lord and savior, Ingrid

Ingrid-Capcom-Fighting-Evolution.jpg

(Ingrid in Capcom Fighting Jam, which Ono worked on)

maxresdefault.jpg

(Ingrid in Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX, which I think was the first post-CFJ Street Fighter game)

ingrid-sfxtekken.jpg

(Ingrid bestowing Pandora's Box on the rest of the plebs in Street Fighter X Tekken's comic. She didn't get any mentions during the SF4 period BUT a potential reason for that is she was originally supposed to appear in TVC and then MVC3. Ingrid would get to properly appear in a crossover, Project X Zone 2, during the SF5 era. Speaking of...)

494e46e2f3801c7cff10587be1b2c986-1-jpg.24922

dark00.jpg

SUYm1Jb.gif

(Ingrid during the SF5 Era aka the 'When Ingrid's not on screen, everyone should be asking, "Where's Ingrid?"' Era of Street Fighter. Including stuff like an Ingrid costume for Karin, a concept for Dark Ingrid, Ingrid's walk cycle animated by one of the SF5 devs and so on)

latest

600031-yoshinori-ono-leaving-capcom.jpg

Ingrid is Ono's legacy, his final gift, to the Street Fighter series

/s

I actually don't think Ono is the (only) one pushing Ingrid. He definitely wasn't in the position to push her for TVC, MVC3 and Project X Zone 2. It seems like the SF team does like Ingrid.

I do 100% believe Ono is the reason Ingrid, and not the other Code Holders, got to leave cancellation limbo though

Semi-related, I am also 100% expecting Ingrid to come back if time travel shenanigans are confirmed for SF6

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
One thing I find funny is that after the first teaser everyone talked about how they are changing the style and making everything look more "realistic" (more like anime realism). But after looking at the gameplay footage, the visual style in gameplay doesn't seem that different than the previous games. It looks very much in line with the evolution of SF4 and SF5, down to the way the characters are proportioned and the way they move.

Honestly, with Street Fighter always being referred to as a series where each entry is different than the last, I wish this looked even more different from SFV than it currently does.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
One thing I find funny is that after the first teaser everyone talked about how they are changing the style and making everything look more "realistic" (more like anime realism). But after looking at the gameplay footage, the visual style in gameplay doesn't seem that different than the previous games. It looks very much in line with the evolution of SF4 and SF5, down to the way the characters are proportioned and the way they move.

Honestly, with Street Fighter always being referred to as a series where each entry is different than the last, I wish this looked even more different from SFV than it currently does.

Street Fighter is certainly referred to as a series where each entry is more different than the last, but the series has honestly been iterating on the same ideas mechanically since 1999 and aesthetically since 2009 (aesthetically since 1999 in some respects, tbh).

It's what inspired me to make this thread
www.resetera.com

SFII revolutionized fighting games. 3rd Strike revolutionized Street Fighter.

Street Fighter II: The World Warrior codified the fighting game genre in 1991. We all know this story, I will not rehash it, but SFII is not where Street Fighter reached maturity. SFII was simply the start of Street Fighter’s disruptive adolescence. The 1990s were an age of discovery, not just...

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I'd feel comfortable attributing that vibe to Hideki Okugawa. Even his non Street Fighter work has that jazzy/hip-hop flair. Hell, the Adam the Clown theme from Dead Rising sounds like it could be a lost Third Strike track.

Nothing but respect for Ono from me though, even if I don't necessarily agree with some of the ways he handled the IP.

Interesting well whoever was responsible did a great job with it!
It's feeling like "ladies with muscles" was an Ono thing, because Chun and Cammy already have way less muscle definition compared to SFV. I hope I'm wrong about this though

We can also thank Ono for our lord and savior, Ingrid

Ingrid-Capcom-Fighting-Evolution.jpg

(Ingrid in Capcom Fighting Jam, which Ono worked on)

maxresdefault.jpg

(Ingrid in Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX, which I think was the first post-CFJ Street Fighter game)

ingrid-sfxtekken.jpg

(Ingrid bestowing Pandora's Box on the rest of the plebs in Street Fighter X Tekken's comic. She didn't get any mentions during the SF4 period BUT a potential reason for that is she was originally supposed to appear in TVC and then MVC3. Ingrid would get to properly appear in a crossover, Project X Zone 2, during the SF5 era. Speaking of...)

494e46e2f3801c7cff10587be1b2c986-1-jpg.24922

dark00.jpg

SUYm1Jb.gif

(Ingrid during the SF5 Era aka the 'When Ingrid's not on screen, everyone should be asking, "Where's Ingrid?"' Era of Street Fighter. Including stuff like an Ingrid costume for Karin, a concept for Dark Ingrid, Ingrid's walk cycle animated by one of the SF5 devs and so on)

latest

600031-yoshinori-ono-leaving-capcom.jpg

Ingrid is Ono's legacy, his final gift, to the Street Fighter series

/s

I actually don't think Ono is the (only) one pushing Ingrid. He definitely wasn't in the position to push her for TVC, MVC3 and Project X Zone 2. It seems like the SF team does like Ingrid.

I do 100% believe Ono is the reason Ingrid, and not the other Code Holders, got to leave cancellation limbo though

Semi-related, I am also 100% expecting Ingrid to come back if time travel shenanigans are confirmed for SF6
I'm also really hoping they go and add more muscle to the ladies for 6. It was realistic, it was just better overall so yeah that was an amazing addition. Let's hope that others in Capcom understand that.

And Ingrid's dope so whatever's contributing to her in the series, it's dope lol.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What is this? I still can't figure it out. I don't think it's a parry into drive rush because the attack whiffs. I don't think it's drive impact because I think the attacks that looks like Ryu's SF4 focus attack and his SFV Ryu's VT2 punch is the drive impact which basically is a focus attack. And it's also not drive reversal because Ryu didn't block anything. And it's not an EX move because that uppercut move is not one of his specials.
Parry (Blue Ink) cancel into Drive Rush (Green Ink) into s.HP into Ryu's new Hashogeki.
  • Hashogeki – Ryu concentrates ki in his palms and unleashes it a short distance forward. Useful as a follow-up after block strings and combos.
aeAMaDf.png

Note the Drive Rush says it can be executed from a Drive Parry stance. It never says anything about it having to be a successful parry.

Actually, no. I think that punch isn't a s.Fierce, but just a part of the Drive Rush. Green ink on that impact too. So Parry Stance Dash Cancel (PSDC) into Hashogeki.

Last edited:

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
I remember asking a while back for Capcom to re-examine meter as a whole, and I'm glad they did. It's interesting that all resources are more or less in one gauge.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Parry (Blue Ink) cancel into Drive Rush (Green Ink) into s.HP into Ryu's new Hashogeki.

Note the Drive Rush says it can be executed from a Drive Parry stance. It never says anything about it having to be a successful parry.

RE4 has never been remade before.

It is. He's canceling the drive parry 'stance' into the drive rush. It doesn't have to hit.

OMG, they've made whiff punishing this braindead easy? 🤣

All these years that I've spent working on my spacing to be right outside of specific characters long reaching normals that have a lot of recovery so I can whiff punish it and feel like a god(which I'm terrible at because this is super hard to do). And now we can sit back at a very safe distance and just press two buttons to cause a slow down and then a dash input to punish? 🤣

Well, this is the future. No more whiffing heavies or specials from mid screen now lol.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This game needs to give SFV its respect and put Crush Counters in.
This is the most disappointing aspect of this dang game for me. I loved the shit out of crush counters. It's a mechanic that simply just feels great, every time. They really have completely abandoned SFV. Meanwhile they bring back focus attacks and parries lol. Whatever man.

I guess some V-Triggers could come back as install supers.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

All these years that I've spent working on my spacing to be right outside of specific characters long reaching normals that have a lot of recovery so I can whiff punish it and feel like a god(which I'm terrible at because this is super hard to do). And now we can sit back at a very safe distance and just press two buttons to cause a slow down and then a dash input to punish? 🤣

Well, this is the future. No more whiffing heavies or specials from mid screen now lol.
Gonna cost meter though!

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

The gif is playing like 30% slower than the video they pulled it from. Also I think the slowdown is coming from the Drive Rush activation.

It still looks absurdly good, but you're not causing anything close to a V-Trigger Activation slowdown to check and leisurely buffer your next action. It's also going to cost at least 1.25-1.5 bars of Drive Gauge to execute (The Drive Parry is a continuous drain, but I'm assuming there's some minimal cost to activate).

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

I think the part Daigo is missing in his concern that the Drive System favors defense, is that taking damage drains the gauge. Making your gambles to use the meter for defense even riskier, because once you get to that burnout state you're vulnerable to be stunned.

It's hard to say whether this game will favor offense or defense yet, I can see it going either way. The Drive System appears to follow the same rules as Luke's V-Triggers. Self-replenishing, but can run out very easily if mismanaged.

All that said they need to put Crush Counters in this game to assuage me and Daigo's fears…

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This is the most disappointing aspect of this dang game for me. I loved the shit out of crush counters. It's a mechanic that simply just feels great, every time. They really have completely abandoned SFV. Meanwhile they bring back focus attacks and parries lol. Whatever man.

I guess some V-Triggers could come back as install supers.

I'm taking Crush Counter hopium until I see a DP get punished.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the perfect parry screen freeze isn't as obnoxious in the final product. Ditto for a successful Drive Impact.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
People can comment on what they want to comment on, you don't have be triggered by it and respond either.

I'm not apologising for saying I don't like the music and for hoping its not all like that.
I don't appreciate that implication.

So I'm not a fan of one genre. That makes me racist huh? I love jazz and blues, but fuck me... I guess I hate black people. News to me.

This is a discussion forum. Any comment on a topic (that's not off topic) is by definition, not unprompted.

And like I said, if this trailer had country music, nu-metal, K-pop, polka or any other kind of music that many people dislike, I 100% would expect people to comment about it.
That's the soundtrack of the US version of the movie, for americans, the biggest fans of the IP.
I don't see any reason to be embarassed for not liking a certain style, its a personal preference after all. :)
I admit thought that I had completely forgoten about 3rd Strike as when it came out, almost none of the arcades in my area had it so I barely touched it!
So yes, people are correct that this is not "new" for the series, mea culpa and my apologies on that!

Apart from that though, I still don't feel that it jells very well with the more grunge / punkish rock vibe that I recall from most of the SF games.
I got no issues with hip hop being a street music style, but in the end its not like punk, smash, rock and many many other style weren't also street music once upon a time.
I simply feel that those suit this particular series more. Not sure though why so many people think that a personal preference is a "hot take" but eh, who cares. If you thing that the style shown yesterday and the song were great, then thats awesome, I'm glad you will enjoy it!

In the end, the music is a secondary thing in this case.
My no1 hope is that we avoid the massive dissapointment that was the SF5 launch, Capcom should really deliver a full and complete experience from the getgo and not launch an early access title again (no matter how nice the core gameplay was!)
If they deliver a solid and complete title (even with the fully expected tons of seasons and extra characters to buy), they can have eurovision music and dressups for all I care 😂

ps: any leaks / news about having Sakura in the starting setup? I 'suffered' in SF5 waiting for season 3 till they deigned to bring her back.
already said I don't mean it this way. English it not my first language so I am understanding that what I said really didn't translate the way I meant it, and I apologise again for that, I honestly do not mean to imply that I have an issue with a specific culture, I'm appalled even with the idea of doing something like that as I'm married with a person of different race, background, religion and country!
All I meant is that my personal preference in the style of the series is the the grunge / punkish rock style of the SF games which permeated my childhood with SF2 and we saw in many other games of the series, while I didn't like the hip hop style of 3rd strike. Its 100% personal preference on the art and music style, it has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of gameplay, people's races, backgrounds etc.
I've edited the original msg to clarify this and I apologize again for not explaining properly what I wanted to say and for upsetting people.

Yes I saw it but it could be that he/she is trained under Ryu/Ken for example? so we get a new variation of a shoto character?
or yes, as you say, it might be a full copy of any other character. Out of curiocity, how would that work in a tournament setup? Would you know the fighting style of the oponent or would you learn it only when you got a sonic boom in the face?

All you need to understand is that black people are tired of people shitting on our art every time it shows up in media, by saying it "doesn't fit" and they wish was some other genre that is "more appropriate". That's all. What you feel doesn't matter, your preference doesn't matter, what you wish it was doesn't matter, what you think fits doesn't matter.

Just stop fucking doing it. You are shitting on our culture, period. I don't care what you think you're doing. You and whoever you come from can keep it to yourselves and let us have our time in the sun with zero commentary for the next 1000 years, then check back and see if we think the scales have balanced.

What you think you're doing doesn't matter, when the black people receiving it are telling you to shut he fuck up. It's fucking racism, regardless of intention. Blowing the dog whistle is what it is.

Take this as a warning.

Last edited:

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
All you need to understand is that black people are tired of people shitting on our art every time it shows up in media, by saying it "doesn't fit" and they wish was some other genre that is "more appropriate". That's all. What you feel doesn't matter, your preference doesn't matter, what you wish it was doesn't matter, what you think fits doesn't matter.

Just stop fucking doing it. You are shitting on our culture, period. I don't care what you think your doing. You and whoever you come from can keep it to yourselves and let us have our time in the sun with zero commentary for the next 1000 years, then check back and see if we think the scales have balanced.

What you think you're doing doesn't matter, when the black people receiving it are telling you to shut he fuck up. It's fucking racism, regardless of intention. Blowing the dog whistle is what it is.

Take this as a warning.

Thank you.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
with the leaks i imagine capcom will show up to EVO with whoever they have done looking good in 3d and ready to show

cant wait to see more gameplay

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm less concerned about the Perfect Parry freeze (Though that really doesn't look like it's slowed for the sake of the trailer with Ryu's mouth flapping) and more concerned about just how fast that Drive Parry consumes gauge. We see an entire clip where Luke eats a jump in, two lows and a mid like it's nothing.
08RIPfU.png
Just madness. Wonder if this means we'll see Chip Kills again.

MizerMan

Oct 25, 2017

Just stop fucking doing it. You are shitting on our culture, period. I don't care what you think your doing. You and whoever you come from can keep it to yourselves and let us have our time in the sun with zero commentary for the next 1000 years, then check back and see if we think the scales have balanced.

Take this as a warning.

Motherfuckin A

J_Macgrady

Oct 25, 2017

Take this as a warning.
Thanks for saying it because this shit happens only when a game features a hip hop song

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Take this as a warning.
michael-scott-the-office.gif

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
At some point Ono was the only one on Capcom pushing for the development of a new Street Fighter
Indeed and for that I'll always thank him.

Just stop fucking doing it. You are shitting on our culture, period. I don't care what you think you're doing. You and whoever you come from can keep it to yourselves and let us have our time in the sun with zero commentary for the next 1000 years, then check back and see if we think the scales have balanced.

Take this as a warning.
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.