• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

05_redfireball.jpg

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I will never get this defeatist attitude some people have to anything challenging in fighting games. "Oh no I will never be able to do that, might as well not play at all." What the hell? I'm by no means an expert at fighting games myself, I still screw up a lot of inputs in training mode let alone in an actual battle and I love stuff like this. Gives me another reason to get better at the game.

Plus I highly, highly doubt the benefits added by these kind of just frame specials will matter in anything other than professional tournament play.

naw

Oct 25, 2017
damn near every fighting game has just frames lol. street fighter 5 had just frames

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This game doesn't sound like it's catering to the casual crowd at all other than the simple input mode

Them putting a single player mode that actually seems to have care on it will be 10000x times more relevant for the casuals than adding a variant of a move that you will only see on matches with people that actually put the time on learning the game. And if SFV is any indication, matchmaking actually puts you with people on your level, so unless someone is smurfing most casuals wouldnt see anything out of the ordinary besides people pulling it by sheer luck

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
More options for players who invest time into the game to express themselves is good in my book

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
Hm...that's quite the difference between the perfect and regular Sonic Boom. The former is much faster. I'd be ok with just optional properties (i.e., more frame advantage, higher damage) of it changing, but that speed change makes the move and the contexts where it can be used significantly different. If it's hard to pull off it means you can't really use the move at all reliably...

Neo_MG90

Apr 23, 2018
That is really cool, I hope other moves get some properties like that, like a perfect shoryuken, with an input a la EWGF

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
My concern here would be the times I'm perfect in my input catching me off guard that it actually happened and throwing me off any follow-up.

Hueytothe

Oct 25, 2017
The negative responses in here alarming. It astounds me how against people are about a competitive game having any sort reward for higher execution.

Icarian

May 9, 2018
I know nothing about fighting games and I haven't played them since SF II and Tekken 3 era. I don't quite grasp the complaints about this making the game less approachable for the casual crowd because pro players will curb stomp them. Yes, the gap between casual player and someone who spent tens of thousands on it is most likely going to get bigger, but that gap was already insurmountable without this, a Pro player could beat any casual player using only regular punches and kicks just by their sheer knowledge about spacing, blocking and whatever fighting games have nowadays.

I think these additions make the game more fulfilling to learn for people who enjoy them.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Do those moves give you access to combos not possible otherwise? If so that's dumb. The skill gap between beginners and pros will be huge

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
Cool feature glad to see more execution rewarded but in a way casual player probably won't even notice. I know he gets sonic vlade back but I find it funny if Guile doesn't get any more specials and their answer to that is to double the variations of boom and kick instead.

Ombala

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If you're a casual player playing another casual player, how tf are you gonna know if your opponent even did a perfect frame move to you? If you're a casual playing a pro, then this is a matchmaking issue, not a game issue. WHY are people flipping out over this?
People aren't flipping out, just the usual suspects that complain about everything.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
How tight is the input window? If it's not something a pro can get 99% of the time, is there a risk of introducing a frustrating sort of variability (i.e., "I was counting on x timing and instead got y")?

Either way, I don't really see this having much significance for scrubs like me.

J_Macgrady

Oct 25, 2017
That's cool. I played with Karin in SFV so I'm used to just frame specials. I'm not sure why people in here are criticizing it from a casual perspective. It's just adds depth for players who are gonna spend a lot of time with the game

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know nothing about fighting games and I haven't played them since SF II and Tekken 3 era. I don't quite grasp the complaints about this making the game less approachable for the casual crowd because pro players will curb stomp them. Yes, the gap between casual player and someone who spent tens of thousands on it is most likely going to get bigger, but that gap was already insurmountable without this, a Pro player could beat any casual player using only regular punches and kicks just by their sheer knowledge about spacing, blocking and whatever fighting games have nowadays.

I think these additions make the game more fulfilling to learn for people who enjoy them.
Yeah, a pro can beat a casual with like one button and some footsies. And apparently, the enhanced version of a special move is too much...

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Meh, I don't like it (as someone who has pretty good execution and can pull off JF's). I prefer when only certain characters have JF's as it adds to their identity. It isn't fun if every character is technical.

Hutchie

Oct 27, 2017
Cos people wanna mash their way to victory. Didnt karin have two versions of her launcher based on your timing? Its not like the normal boom will be garbage

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Why does it seem like some of y'all thrive on negativity?

I'm a scrub who loves fighting games but have sucked at them for the entirety of my gaming career.
This looks awesome to me even though I'll most likely never take advantage of it.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Isn't this only applicable to charge moves anyway? Which most of the cast are unlikely to have. It would makes sense of Capcom put characters in the game which have a individually diverse learning curves. Odd that all charge characters would pose an execution challenge though as I think traditionally their combos are quite simple.

Karsha

May 1, 2020
I feel like the gameplay of this game will be a mess, they have just thrown old ideas into it, not sure how they will mix. Can't put an opinion yet since its a year away but it seems that from the testing everyday a new mechanic is discovered which isn't that great even though it looks exciting

Tsumami

Feb 3, 2022
Do those moves give you access to combos not possible otherwise? If so that's dumb. The skill gap between beginners and pros will be huge
Yes you can see it in the guile clip, the perfect boom lets him follow up when the regular one doesn't. The skill gap between pros and beginners was already huge. I'm just okay at Street Fighter but, and i'm not saying this to be mean, for anyone that wants to get into this game because of easy specials I could probably beat them using nothing but normal attacks. The gap between a beginner vs someone that learned the game vs a professional player is worlds apart.

Hueytothe

Oct 25, 2017
Hm...that's quite the difference between the perfect and regular Sonic Boom. The former is much faster. I'd be ok with just optional properties (i.e., more frame advantage, higher damage) of it changing, but that speed change makes the move and the contexts where it can be used significantly different. If it's hard to pull off it means you can't really use the move at all reliably...
I think in a game with a universal parry this will be important at high level play for a zoner like Guile

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
This game doesn't sound like it's catering to the casual crowd at all other than the simple input mode

Majority of the people I've spoken to who never play fighting games but are picking this is up is because
  1. There's actual meaty single player content outside of just fighting.
  2. It looks cool and flashy as fuck and it sounds cool as fuck.
Just frames means absolutely nothing to them.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
(...) a Pro player could beat any casual player using only regular punches and kicks just by their sheer knowledge about spacing, blocking and whatever fighting games have nowadays.
I'm pretty sure I saw Sajam (fighting game commentator, good but by no means a pro) do exactly this a while ago in order to demonstrate how much more important fundamentals are compared to flashy combos.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this only applicable to charge moves anyway? Which most of the cast are unlikely to have. It would makes sense of Capcom put characters in the game which have a individually diverse learning curves. Odd that all charge characters would pose an execution challenge though as I think traditionally their combos are quite simple.
They could make it so the last directional input has to be done in the same frame as the attack button like EWGF in Tekken

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I hate this. I'm okay with offering different versions of moves based on input timing, but one shouldn't be objectively better in all departments such that it completely invalidates the non-timing version of the same move. That just creates a bigger gulf between New Players and Veteran players as well leading to unneeded frustration. If specific to Charge type moves then at least it limits 'holding' the move since the timing window seems to be reliant on performing it quickly which isn't always desired.

Also from a balance perspective do they tune a character expecting players will use the Perfect timing version of their kit? Regardless of if they do or not it'll skew how a character should perform even more and I'm not a fan at all

Hutchie

Oct 27, 2017
This seems like a bad idea for making the game more approachable for a wider audience. If you're going to let pro players literally have better moves on top of having higher skill it just makes the skill gap even wider.

If they have higher skill then the gap is gonna be wide unless you handicap the better players. The only real way to close the skill gap is for newbs/casuals to learn to play the game

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Meh, I don't like it (as someone who has pretty good execution and can pull off JF's). I prefer when only certain characters have JF's as it adds to their identity. It isn't fun if every character is technical.

I agree with this. Having a couple "technical" characters like SC used to do with Setsuka is something I like more than having it built into the systems universally. Then I can at least just ignore it!

I've lost this battle though, design is going the other way. Oh well.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Oh no how am I going to win Evo now...

I wonder if even pros can nail these things consistently?

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Wait a minute. I switched to my phone to see the tweets; we're just seeing a perfect charge on some specials. That doesn't necessarily mean 1-frame links.

giphy.gif

I really wish more folks would put the tweet text in quotes... -_-

Why was this a problem for you? It s part of the reason I dropped V. I wanted that extra level.
I just couldn't perform any of the links ever. I sat in training mode for hours and I could not for the life of me get it. Meanwhile, the input buffer in SFV left nothing out of reach. Sure it would still take me 1 hour+ to large combos but I *could* do it in SFV.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

I mean, let's be real here, the skill gap is always going to be there. The barrier of entry has always been a matter of giving people a better onboarding process and more content for people not interested in ranked matches.

But this idea of "well I also want to gut this aspect for the competitive side because I'd rather not think about it" seems really short-sighted.

shadoclone

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So wait do people think this is a universal thing? Luke already had this in SFV and has it in SFVI (and his is different in how it's implemented), and they are showing it here as a Guile thing now too. I guess if you want to play Guile I could see it being off putting, but I'd wait to overall doom until they say it's a system level thing, which would be incredibly unlikely for no one to have noticed it on Chun (who also has a charge fireball) Ryu or Jamie.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
They could make it so the last directional input has to be done in the same frame as the attack button like EWGF in Tekken

Does that not seem too easy compared to this type of fuzzy timing with a charge? I feel like it would really add value to controllers like Hitboxes too because you can easily press both at the same time with the same hand.

00Quan[T]

May 12, 2022
This seems like a bad idea for making the game more approachable for a wider audience. If you're going to let pro players literally have better moves on top of having higher skill it just makes the skill gap even wider.

The game isn't supposed to be extremely easy for all commands, this would break the game.

Sep 7, 2020
This is fine, this won't mean much except for at higher levels of play. If two scrubs are playing, this will NOT be the difference in who wins. Some people just want to complain without even having played the game lol, let alone understand the basics/fundamentals but are concerned about precise frame inputs? Come on yall!

TimeKillr

Feb 9, 2021
So this is super unclear, really.

From what I understand, with those Sonic Booms, it's basically "If I charge the bare minimum I get special properties". Sure, I can get that - if you charge longer, you don't get them, and it's made for those charge characters so you don't go holding down+back all the time. Not sure I actually like the system, but hey.

But for non-charge moves? What's a "Just frame SRK"? Just Frame basically means "1f timing" - it's 1f links, etc. If Just Frame SRK is basically just "Your input buffer ONLY has Forward -> Down -> Down+Forward" then you get special properties then I also kind of understand, but it's very weird. SF has a very, VERY lenient input system - it looks a specific amount of frames back in your inputs and if something somewhat matches a move, it'll come out" and it also means you can get Tiger Knee motions on some moves to get them low off the ground.

So basically this is like "If your execution in performing motions is top tier, you get bonus stuff in your specials"? I'm personally not sure I like this, to be honest.

Everything about this system makes very little sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.