• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Hey I have no problem with that, but I just want to point out I only responded to a pretty random and unneeded outburst against me and my opinions. I'll ignore and move on like you said, but yeah just wanted to make that clear.
I understand. Just Great was out of line and you had the right to respond. I had no problem with what you said either.

I just don't want the NEXT quote/reply to go further.

We tend to let mods who are a part of communities monitor those communities, so I'd rather just deescalate before a dozen reports get filed over an argument derailing a thread, which then leads to the other mods asking wtf is going on in the SF6 thread.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand. Just Great was out of line and you had the right to respond. I had no problem with what you said either.

I just don't want the NEXT quote/reply to go further.

We tend to let mods who are a part of communities monitor those communities, so I'd rather just deescalate before a dozen reports get filed over an argument derailing a thread, which then leads to the other mods asking wtf is going on in the SF6 thread.

Yeah that's completely understandable and I appreciate the response. Thanks for stepping in.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
As I mentioned in the past, I don't think every single World Warrior is a requirement. For example, we could go a game without Honda (he'd probably be forgettable if he was introduced in any other SF game anyway).

It's a phenomenon that seemingly only happens with Street Fighter's roster. There'd be extremely few people saying Tekken 8 shouldn't have Jack, Kazuya, Law, Nina, King, Paul, Michelle (Julia), and Yoshi in the launch roster.

Last edited:

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I would be fine without Honda, Blanka, Dhalsim and Gief.

Ryu, Ken, Chun & Guile are all they need to retain.

I get the gameplay argument for Gief and Dhalsim being distinct play styles, but it's time for Haggar and they can make new characters with those other functions.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

I get the gameplay argument for Gief and Dhalsim being distinct play styles, but it's time for Haggar and they can make new characters with those other functions.
We're long overdue for a new South Asian character anyway.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Why throw away iconic characters to give new characters the same kits?

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Why throw away iconic characters to give new characters the same kits?
Just to keep it fresh. It doesn't need to be exactly the same kit, just similar archetypes, and possibly better representation.

I get the arguments for keeping them since they're there for gameplay and iconic, but that's just where my personal cutoff preference is.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
Just to keep it fresh. It doesn't need to be exactly the same kit, just similar archetypes, and possibly better representation.

I get the arguments for keeping them since they're there for gameplay and iconic, but that's just where my personal cutoff preference is.

This isn't too far off from Combofiend's "function" comment that got him lambasted (even though he was just trying to make the best of a shit situation that was handed to him). People had an absolute conniption over MVCI not having the X-Men even if there were plenty of characters that fulfilled simiar roles and had similar moves.

Oct 25, 2017
If Dhalsim's Flame Carpet comes back as a level 2 I think it and other moves that have a "burn" effect will chip away at Drive.

AKI's poison will probably just drain health like normal, but I think Flame Carpet won't do direct damage until you're in Burnout.

You probably won't be able to parry either effect.

NOW we're thinking about the interesting stuff. This is fascinating.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
If half a dozen shotos can coexist in a single game then so can Zangief and Haggar. The double lariat and piledriver are the only moves they need to share, and even those could look and function differently. (For one, Haggar's original Final Fight piledriver doesn't even spin.)

Zangief would be a pure grappler and a flamboyant showman who strikes poses as often as possible. Haggar would be a grizzled brawler who beats people with a pipe because he's too old for this shit. (Mad Gear is back? Not on Haggar's watch.)

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still going with the shitty easier move scheme, my fingers can't do any motion inputs anymore. Really hoping to hit high rating in ranked.
have you tried all types of controllers? I don't like pads for fighters and joysticks always felt uncomfortable so I went with a button box. Just feels great and alot easier on my fingers and wrists.

Turnscr3w

Jan 16, 2022
have you tried all types of controllers? I don't like pads for fighters and joysticks always felt uncomfortable so I went with a button box. Just feels great and alot easier on my fingers and wrists.
I used to play a lot with dualshock 4, but the stress was too much and I went to keyboard. It's much better on keyboard, but doing motion input combos really stresses my entire hands, not as much as a controller, but still uncomfortable.

Oct 25, 2017
I be tryna have gameplay discussions but everybody wanna argue about the roster instead :(

Real talk, I've been thinking about how dedicated zoners will feel in this game ever since people have been predicting that universal parrying will be the end of that archetype.

But I think the existence of the Drive Gague will create the opposite situation. I'm thinking long range zoners will be scary because of the hurt they'll put on your Drive from half a screen away. You'll spend resources to get close to them, putting yourself closer yo Burnout by the time you reach them.

I'm looking forward to the new kind of mental pressure zoners will bring in this game.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't too far off from Combofiend's "function" comment that got him lambasted (even though he was just trying to make the best of what was given to him). People had an absolute conniption over MVCI not having the X-Men even if there were plenty of characters that fulfilled similar roles and had similar moves.
I was aware when I used the term. I used it to play along with sentiment I see that Haggar and Zangief would be redundant. (I don't agree actually). But if that's the prevailing opinion, swap Haggar in since he's iconic too.
Also because, I'd argue the X-Men's importance to people in that series is bigger than Honda, Blanka, Dhalsim and Gief in another SF game.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I used to play a lot with dualshock 4, but the stress was too much and I went to keyboard. It's much better on keyboard, but doing motion input combos really stresses my entire hands, not as much as a controller, but still uncomfortable.
Depending on what stresses your hand the upside of custom hitboxes are the amount of customization you can have on the layout. I personally found KB far too cramped so the larger hitbox layout with actual arcade style buttons I feel is much nicer. There is stuff that use bigger buttons or spread the movement and attack buttons farther apart etc. But if it's the act of pressing it may not help much.

LwxcTWdHW0_QfaYCugqS1qes2f2mq4UnlxFDWDUOK_U.jpg

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Well, if we want some idle chatter for this thread, I do have a topic: Controls.

Been thinking about it a bit. If Modern controls are the way to go for me or not. If so that's easy enough. Connect Xbox controller to PC, play.

If not, I have two options. My old FightStick, which, thanks to Steam Input is still compatible with basically anything that runs with a stick and eight face buttons. Or keyboard, since I have a gaming keyboard that can actually handle several keys pressed at the same time. No idea how to bind the keys for it, though, I think I'd want movement on they arrow keys, though. Played an old fighting game on PC back in the day, but means that most of the common fighting game motions are muscle memory for my right hand if I use arrow keys.

I just kind of worry how to do a 360 on arrows. Or arrows and spacebar if I'm doing the Hitbox variant and putting jump on Space, which makes sense to me.

Anyone have experience playing fighting games on a mechanical keyboard? Is it a good idea? And if so, any ideas for keybinds?
I'm going to say try a hitbox layout. ASD for left, down, right; spacebar for jump.

Freeing jump from your middle finger is so...freeing. I found it awkward when having to move immediately from down to up with the same finger. This is especially important if you play a charge character. You have so many keys at your disposal, there's no need for a finger to be doing double duty if you can avoid it.

How do you feel about pressing two keys together for Drive Impact, parry, etc.? That can feel weird for some people so it's something to consider.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

I'm really liking these stance cancels. That's st.HP into Serenity Stream cancelled into LK (I think). The range on that is crazy.

Seiniyta

Oct 25, 2017

I have an issue where my wrists would hurt like hell playing with a controller or a regular PC stick, I think you'll find the hitbox the most comfortable. It's the only input device where I can play fighting games without any stress for hours on end. I really recommend them. Keyboards are 'okay-ish' but the way you arc your hand to press the buttons (depends how you set the keys up of course) can still cause a lot of stress on your hands.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
As it should be. Let people who don't care have fun and do cool stuff while people who want to be competitive move on to classic.

I think this is the right take. The devs have come out and said that Modern controls and World Tour Mode aren't really intended to turn casuals into competitive players. They can certainly help with that transition, but they're really just there to let casuals be casuals. To enjoy the game without the homework.

Real talk, I've been thinking about how dedicated zoners will feel in this game ever since people have been predicting that universal parrying will be the end of that archetype.

But I think the existence of the Drive Gague will create the opposite situation. I'm thinking long range zoners will be scary because of the hurt they'll put on your Drive from half a screen away. You'll spend resources to get close to them, putting yourself closer yo Burnout by the time you reach them.

I'm looking forward to the new kind of mental pressure zoners will bring in this game.

I think zoners are gonna eat in this game.

For one, fireballs are SUPER FAST in SF6.

For two, blocked fireballs chip away at Drive and can kill if the opponent is in Burnout.

For three, if the opponent mistimes the parry a fireball will do a PUNISH COUNTER. So extra damage, advantage, and Drive stolen.

For four, knockdowns and techs in SF6 send people flying damn near full screen. This game is serious about resetting neutral. You even start rounds further away than prior SF games. So while parry will make getting in a bit easier, you will have to do it more often and you will have to cover more ground to do so.

Gotta wait and see how it plays out, but I don't think Guile was our first character trailer by accident. Capcom wanted to show zoners are gonna be a thing in SF6.

Jaded Alyx also pointed out Guile's "perfect" sonic booms from the reveal trailer. I dismissed it as a meaningless audio cue at the time (forgive me, fam), but since I realized there's also a red visual effect that goes with these booms. There might be extra sauce SF6 is giving zoners that hasn't been fully revealed yet.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Normals look big too compared to SFV, they def want zoning and footsies to be good. Just gotta see the anti-airs.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the right take. The devs have come out and said that Modern controls and World Tour Mode aren't really intended to turn casuals into competitive players. They can certainly help with that transition, but they're really just there to let casuals be casuals. To enjoy the game without the homework.

I think zoners are gonna eat in this game.

For one, fireballs are SUPER FAST in SF6.

For two, blocked fireballs chip away at Drive and can kill if the opponent is in Burnout.

For three, if the opponent mistimes the parry a fireball will do a PUNISH COUNTER. So extra damage, advantage, and Drive stolen.

For four, knockdowns and techs in SF6 send people flying damn near full screen. This game is serious about resetting neutral. You even start rounds further away than prior SF games. So while parry will make getting in a bit easier, you will have to do it more often and you will have to cover more ground to do so.

Gotta wait and see how it plays out, but I don't think Guile was our first character trailer by accident. Capcom wanted to show zoners are gonna be a thing in SF6.

The interaction with drive has assuaged my fears about zoning in the game entirely. Furthermore, juggle state off anti-air counter hits assured me that Capcom has the right idea with balancing offense and defense's risk/reward which, as much as I enjoyed SFV, was alllll the way in favor of offense there.

I also like the idea of capcom adding more just frame moves, they're one of my favorite aspects of 3D fighting games that only show up in 2D occasionally.

Turnscr3w

Jan 16, 2022
I have an issue where my wrists would hurt like hell playing with a controller or a regular PC stick, I think you'll find the hitbox the most comfortable. It's the only input device where I can play fighting games without any stress for hours on end. I really recommend them. Keyboards are 'okay-ish' but the way you arc your hand to press the buttons (depends how you set the keys up of course) can still cause a lot of stress on your hands.
I use the numpad for attacks, trying to use letter keys is way too cramp for me. I might check a hitbox, but it's really expensive so it depends.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
@Jaded Alyx also pointed out Guile's "perfect" sonic booms from the reveal trailer. I dismissed it as a meaningless audio cue at the time (forgive me, fam), but since I realized there's also a red visual effect that goes with these booms
Nah wasn't me, I just backed up what the original poster said because I went back to check the trailer after they brought it up. Apparently Luke also says "Perfect" after his charge thing sometimes?

Oct 25, 2017
Jaded Alyx also pointed out Guile's "perfect" sonic booms from the reveal trailer. I dismissed it as a meaningless audio cue at the time (forgive me, fam), but since I realized there's also a red visual effect that goes with these booms. There might be extra sauce SF6 is giving zoners that hasn't been fully revealed yet.

I was discussing the perfect timing on moves with a friend last night. He pointed out how Luke shouts "Perfect," presumably when one charges his uppercut to its max.

But while my friend suggested that there might be some sort of "frame perfect charging" for Guile, I'm thinking it might have to do with frame perfect releasing. E.G. hitting the forward and the punch button on the EXACT same frame for a "perfect" Sonic Boom.

But who knows? Maybe the red Sonic Boom and the "Perfect" line are just what happens during the heavy version of Boom now.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Nah wasn't me, I just backed up what the original poster said because I went back to check the trailer after they brought it up. Apparently Luke also says "Perfect" after his charge thing sometimes?

My bad. Alex2DX first pointed it out from the Vesper breakdown, I see. I shouldn't have dismissed it either way.

I didn't even peep Luke does it too.

I was discussing the perfect timing on moves with a friend last night. He pointed out how Luke shouts "Perfect," presumably when one charges his uppercut to its max.

But while my friend suggested that there might be some sort of "frame perfect charging" for Guile, I'm thinking it might have to do with frame perfect releasing. E.G. hitting the forward and the punch button on the EXACT same frame for a "perfect" Sonic Boom.

Hella interesting.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We need more wrestler types that actually have speed to them. That Zangeif/ Potemkin slow moving bollocks is played out.

Ronin | Rin |

Jul 13, 2021
It's a great idea. I did this with SFIV starting around this time before SFV came out (Summer 2015). I had spent all of SFIV just being a spectator but I wanted to experience high level play. Not to be a high level player, but I wanted to play against high level players. I got there. It's achievable. Started out struggling to get out of Rookie, but now I'm a certified CFN monster.

As far as resources go, definitely check out r/StreetFighter.

Thank you for sharing your story and for your kind and encouraging words! It's inspiring to hear that you were able to rise to a higher plane from being a spectator at the beginning. I'll definitely pick up SF V and I have the anniversary collection so I will try to get a taste for the others, too, especially SF III. I'm hearing that some mechanics from that game are present in the SF 6 gameplay we have seen so far? (Including SF IV) I'll check out the Reddit page, too.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
I use the numpad for attacks, trying to use letter keys is way too cramp for me. I might check a hitbox, but it's really expensive so it depends.

If you have access to a 3D printer, don't mind the 3D printed look, aren't afraid to DIY, and play on PC, there's several DIY options like the Flatbox. I know there's a mini-mixbox type controller called the Fightboard MX on etsy but I think the Mixbox layout is objectively worse than Hitbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.