• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
If you like being told what to watch and having ads shoved down your throat at regular intervals then sure I guess cable could be the better option.

This debate is so ridiculous. More streaming options isn't a bad thing. You don't have to sub to all of them, the whole point is you can choose what's important. And really for the amount of money cable costs you can have basically every available streaming sub. So what is there to discuss?

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's only bad if you have some FOMO complex where you NEEEEEED to have every service at all times no matter what. Cancel Hulu for a month. Next month after GoT is over, cancel HBO until something good is on there you want to watch.

Personally I only have Hulu because it's free with Spotify, hbo go is "free" with my mobile plan, amazon video with prime, and I pay for Netflix. At this point I refuse to pay for another streaming service, even though I want to watch the new Trek stuff, I'll live.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you like sports, cable is and always will be necessary

It's also why cable is expensive, if streaming got something like the NFL or NBA, prices would double or even triple for them as well.(and no, Prime getting a broadcast simulcast once a week of TNF doesn't count)

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
And really for the amount of money cable costs you can have basically every available streaming sub. So what is there to discuss?

how much is cable now though? At least in the US, cable TV is bundled with internet. Everyone NEEDS internet and most of the time they add a cable option for $30 extra or so for hundreds of channels. With all the deals they run with new subscribers and 2 year agreeements and what not, it's not really clear at any time how much adding a cable TV package is.

I agree in general though that I like things better now and wouldn't want to go back.

Oct 27, 2017
I have OTA for sports as well as Netflix and Amazon Prime. I'm not willing to sign up for anything more and will just not see whatever is on the other services, Disney's included.
I won't ever go back to cable, though.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
My HD cable is only $20 a month at most. National Geographic, and Sports is probably all that I watch. I get one subscription service, then cancel and so on

Non-HD cable is only $10 where I'm at.

Oct 27, 2017
how much is cable now though? At least in the US, cable TV is bundled with internet. Everyone NEEDS internet and most of the time they add a cable option for $30 extra or so for hundreds of channels. With all the deals they run with new subscribers and 2 year agreeements and what not, it's not really clear at any time how much adding a cable TV package is.

I agree in general though that I like things better now and wouldn't want to go back.

Idk where you get those prices but i know my grandmother pays like 150/m for hers. After bundle discount. Then there's all the other fees like renting their stupid box. It's an insane ripoff.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah for me internet+cable with TiVo was only $20/month more than just internet. Hell no data cap internet is more expensive than the cable/internet package. Cable will never die as long as the cable companies control the internet market. My contract is also up soon, and AT&T just moved into the area and is offering cable(one tier up, I need my NFLN)+unlimited data internet for $90/month. Cable is only super expensive if you don't haggle at all.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Hell no, if you have Netflix and Hulu you're still saving ~60 bucks a month from a cable subscription. Double up with friends and family and save some money.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hulu+Netflix+Amazon Prime is all I need. Sometimes I'm subbed to HBO as well. Even then, its far cheaper and my convenient that cable tv ever has been. I don't care about sports so, that's a plus. I don't even pay for the Netflix or HBO and Amazon comes free with Prime that I would pay for anyway. Our streaming services are shared across multiple households without issue.

Oct 29, 2017
If you like sports, cable is and always will be necessary

It's also why cable is expensive, if streaming got something like the NFL or NBA, prices would double or even triple for them as well.(and no, Prime getting a broadcast simulcast once a week of TNF doesn't count)
I think this just depends on what sports you watch. I am mostly a football fan but I also watch some college basketball, golf, and tennis. Youtube TV has ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, all of the ESPN channels, FOX sports, FS1, and FS2. It also gives access to WatchESPN. I rarely miss out on anything I want to watch.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Idk where you get those prices but i know my grandmother pays like 150/m for hers. After bundle discount. Then there's all the other fees like renting their stupid box. It's an insane ripoff.

That's part of my point. It's not really clear how much cable is because it's different for every customer basically depending on if they are a new custmoer, if they took advantage of some deal, if you called in a threatened to cancel and got a discount, etc.

Gigabit Fios over Black Friday last year is $80/month for me for 2 years. I think it was like $85/month (plus equipment rental) if I wanted to add the base cable package on top of that.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Cable is still far more expensive than the 3-4 video streaming services I'm subscribed to at any given to time. Don't get how that's "convoluted".

Spiderz

Oct 25, 2017
People are just going to revert back to piracy when you need 10 streaming services to watch the things you used to only need one or two for.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this just depends on what sports you watch. I am mostly a football fan but I also watch some college basketball, golf, and tennis. Youtube TV has ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, all of the ESPN channels, FOX sports, FS1, and FS2. It also gives access to WatchESPN. I rarely miss out on anything I want to watch.
Streaming live sports has always been a terrible experience,(any big event gets buffering for example) and those streaming services that are just cable over the internet aren't any cheaper than cable in my experience.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I mean does every kid need a TV? I had to share 2 with 4 other siblings and it was fine. Not to mention you can stream on multiple devices and I doubt everyone will watch Netflix at the exact same time.

This. Not to sound old (...) but I grew up in a 6 bedroom house with two siblings.

We had ONE Tv in the house until I was 13 and got a mini one for my room

Abhor

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Nah. I don't care about sports and I just sub to one service at a time that has content I want to binge.

Also fuck ads.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Don't forget about over the air if you really want to save money. Sure you'd need to buy extra equipment to record but it's not bad for the basics.

Oct 29, 2017
Streaming live sports has always been a terrible experience,(any big event gets buffering for example) and those streaming services that are just cable over the internet aren't any cheaper than cable in my experience.
I recently watched the Final Four, the final round of the Masters, the CFB National championship, and the Super Bowl all on streaming with no problems at all. I will admit that this is very dependent on the service. Direct TV Now had plenty of problems when I used it, as did Sling TV. Youtube TV and PS Vue were nothing but rock solid for me pretty much all of the time.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I got cable about a year ago because my internet provider told me they were going to start aggressively charging for going over data caps. And between my wife and I both regularly working from home and streaming most of our TV, we were regularly going WAY over our data cap.

I recently noticed that my provider added an addon that I could buy to remove the data cap. But when I considered adding that on plus the price of the streaming services, (Playstation Vue is my favorite) it was going to only save me something like $10-15 per month.

Then I considered that through the cable provider I get free access to a bunch of TV channel apps like the Food Network app (for my wife and I) and the Disney Jr app (for my daughter) to stream video, or to watch it on a tablet. (It might not be the best parenting, but being able to sit my two-year-old down with her tablet and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is a godsend when I need to get stuff done.)

So I decided to keep my cable for now. I'm going to keep evaluating, especially because I think I'm on a promotion that expires soon that might drastically change the price of having cable. But for now, the pros of Cable outweigh the cons for my family.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
(It might not be the best parenting, but being able to sit my two-year-old down with her tablet and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is a godsend when I need to get stuff done.)

This might be a totally off-topic point to address, but speaking as someone who is not a parent but did a lot to help raise my much younger brother in his early years, the fact that you are at least monitoring the content, making sure it is age-appropriate, and presumably contextualizing it puts you head and shoulders above most parents. Good on you!

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This might be a totally off-topic point to address, but speaking as someone who is not a parent but did a lot to help raise my much younger brother in his early years, the fact that you are at least monitoring the content, making sure it is age-appropriate, and presumably contextualizing it puts you head and shoulders above most parents. Good on you!
Thanks! It's tough to do (and it means I watch a lot of the same kids shows over and over,) but it's worth it.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disney and other companies aren't gonna keep their best stuff on demand like they currently do. They will likely stop offering as much stuff once their streaming networks are up. Cable subscribers are gonna keep paying more for even less content.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
at this point for me it's not so much about cost but rather viewing habits. i've become so accustomed to streaming rather than following regular programming (with the exception of something like HBO Now where i obvs can't binge the new season of GOT) i really don't care this or that cable package would shave off some odd $

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
Don't forget about over the air if you really want to save money. Sure you'd need to buy extra equipment to record but it's not bad for the basics.

This is the plan. Ween down to just OTA+DVR and Disney+

This. Not to sound old (...) but I grew up in a 6 bedroom house with two siblings.

We had ONE Tv in the house until I was 13 and got a mini one for my room

8690aeedb92773e17a8cd7e52717bcbc.jpg

+

ViciousCookedAmericanindianhorse-size_restricted.gif

Is my house in 80's bro. (We old Now)

Canklestank

Oct 26, 2017
Subscribe to fewer services? With Hulu (not live) and Netflix, I have no need for anything else. I do have antenna TV with a DVR that gets used occasionally, but that's free. I'm nowhere near cable prices.

Do I miss out on things like Game of Thrones? Yep. Oh well.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Besides Netflix what's the best streaming service for the money? I'm currently looking at Hulu live.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I recently watched the Final Four, the final round of the Masters, the CFB National championship, and the Super Bowl all on streaming with no problems at all. I will admit that this is very dependent on the service. Direct TV Now had plenty of problems when I used it, as did Sling TV. Youtube TV and PS Vue were nothing but rock solid for me pretty much all of the time.
It has admittedly been a couple of years since I've tried those services,(Vue was the one I used the most). But considering both would be $50/month for the package I'd want, it's actually more expensive than just having cable, so I haven't tried it recently.

Vue also wouldn't give me the Fox Sports channel I wanted, while my cable provider does.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I have a 1 TB data cap per month which means a streaming only future isn't viable for me, especially if you add in game streaming too ;p. I have 0 alternatives right now other than Verizon 5G which I am not sure is in my part of the city yet - but even if it is, come on it is Verizon so you know the cheap price and unlimited data will go away as soon as the 5G service gains any traction.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed it is easier to sub or unsubscribe with streaming services but I'll disagree on the portable aspect that people keep bringing up. All of the major channels allow you to login with your cable/satellite provider meaning when I go to a hotel and take my fire stick, I have access to almost everything expect for local channels live.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
It was going to end up happening when every content producer wanted to get more money. Everything is fragmented to shit. The amount of streaming services is getting absurd

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I ended up just going with Hulu Live tv. It has all channels I need and most importantly no contracts or rental feels on equipment and I can cancel any time. Imo the streaming options are way more convenient than cable still.

This is ultimately what we did.

Thought we'd be slick... But then Optimum raised the price of internet 20 bucks a month, and because we're streaming we needed to update the speed which cost another 20/month... Annnndddd we're basically back to where we started.

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
We have Sling Blue, antenna, Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon year round. I would have Amazon and Netflix whether I have cable or not, so the total I pay for 'cable' is about $40/month.

Contrast that with how much AT&T wants around here for their service and DirecTV or Uverse. The promo period price is $95/mo, and the contracted second year is $145/mo. Not really a hard decision.

And if I really hit a budget crunch, just antenna and Netflix would be good enough.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Not even close when cable TV barely has any truly 4K content.

Amazon Prime and Netflix delivering actual 4K content is enough for me at the moment.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
But those crappy boxes, terrible image quality, and poor UIs. Do you really want to go back?

Image quality is fine to me. I didn't know people thought it was bad until this thread haha. With a bundle currently offered in my area, I'd save like $40 per month. At least until the contract is up.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I still don't understand what's so awful about multiple streaming services you can just subscribe to for a single month at a time. You don't need to subscribe to everything simultaneously.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

I watch live sports almost exclusively with PS Vue and Youtube TV and I do not have this issue.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I didn't have cable TV service for years, but I signed up for it prior to this past football season. Honestly, for the channels that I wanted, it was the best value, which really struck me as odd, given how many more channels I get. Obviously many of them are junk, but I hate the "cord cutting" thing that's being pushed as this better value, only for none of them to have all of the channels that I want. It's getting to a point where all of these streaming services are getting as bad as the cable companies when you put them all together.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
the only reason cable is "expensive" is because you have to pay ridiculous fees and rent their equipment. The actual content cost, when the rest is removed, is essentially comparable to similar streaming plans.

I've owned my own DVRs and Modems for years, and find that to make the equation go in cable's favor (esp since I get all the app access with my cable log anyway)

I also watch sports, and sports is a cable / satellite game.