• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Yep.

Its a scummy product but you are delusional if you think there would be this level of outrage over Dr Disrespect hawking some crystals. Or Joe Rogan hawking some brain pills.

The stupidest thing is... It's lotion? No different than people selling blue filter glasses or shit. It's really not that big a deal.

Dr Squatch is as much of a fucking scam as their soap is wildly over priced and seemingly just repackage wholesale soap, but nobody taking up pitchforks for that.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The stupidest thing is... It's lotion? No different than people selling blue filter glasses or shit. It's really not that big a deal.

Dr Squatch is as much of a fucking scam as their soap is wildly over priced and seemingly just repackage wholesale soap, but nobody taking up pitchforks for that.

Hint: The reasons people are talking about this specific scam and not Dr. Squatch or whatever are:
  1. She's videogame-adjacent.
  2. Somebody made a thread about it.
  3. The audacity of the claim.
  4. People defending her presenting weird arguments that provoke a response.
Nobody's talking about Dr. Squatch because it's unlikely that someone would create a "Dr. Squatch Soap is Overpriced" thread, and it's even more unlikely that there'd be anything beyond a smattering of posts saying "well.. yeah."

This would have gotten a lot less traction here if a bunch of people hadn't jumped in to say "actually, this isn't a scam because there's actually lotion in the bottles, you just hate women" or whatever.

I need to be aware of all the injustices in the world at all times. Imagine if I didn't know that someone was trying sell goddamn blue light lotions. She should be in jail right now.

Hyperbole time!

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Hint: The reasons people are talking about this specific scam and not Dr. Squatch or whatever are:
Nobody's talking about Dr. Squatch because it's unlikely that someone would create a "Dr. Squatch Soap is Overpriced" thread, and it's even more unlikely that there'd be anything beyond a smattering of posts saying "well.. yeah."

This would have gotten a lot less traction here if a bunch of people hadn't jumped in to say "actually, this isn't a scam because there's actually lotion in the bottles, you just hate women" or whatever.

Bingo. And there have been threads on here about male streamers bullshit sales pitches in the past too. I'm for sure remembering the gambling one. But remember, everyone's a misogynist because we don't support snake oil.

What a joke. When I see people make crazy leaps like this it makes me disregard whatever they say. Nonsense.

Sayre

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Rae is rightfully getting backlash for this, so I have no problem with people calling her out… but you can make an argument that woman streamers are scrutinized more and thus threads are more likely to be created for them as opposed to male ones. Everything you said is right on.

the product itself is… fine. Typical budget skin care based on the formulation. Just the blue light marketing claim is sus. If she marketed it as just gamer skin care without all that blue light nonsense, it would be fine.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Bingo. And there have been threads on here about male streamers bullshit sales pitches in the past too. I'm for sure remembering the gambling one. But remember, everyone's a misogynist because we don't support snake oil.

What a joke. When I see people make crazy leaps like this it makes me disregard whatever they say. Nonsense.

Again there is a middle ground here. The people coming out in full defense of valkyrae selling a con product are obviously wrong, but it is absolutely, verifiably true that threads on reset era about streamer controversies see significant more posts and go for significantly more pages when they are about women than when they are about male streamers.

I've seen threads about male streamers doing racist caricatures as part of their brand and as bits, and they go for like 5 pages total. This one is already at 12 and still rolling at a high speed, will hit many more pages yet.

Barius

Jan 2, 2019
New Jersey
Again there is a middle ground here. The people coming out in full defense of valkyrae selling a con product are obviously wrong, but it is absolutely, verifiably true that threads on reset era about streamer controversies see significant more posts and go for significantly more pages when they are about women than when they are about male streamers.

I've seen threads about male streamers doing racist caricatures as part of their brand and as bits, and they go for like 5 pages total. This one is already at 12 and still rolling at a high speed, will hit many more pages yet.

You kind of explain it in your own post though, as you said people here are coming out in full defense of her thus more discussion is had especially when they're implying that people calling her out for pushing a scam product are a misogynist. The male streamers get rightfully called out, and everyone agrees so the thread(s) die pretty quickly at least from what I've seen.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
The two frequently commenting (and Rae-defending) people in this thread who apparently made "dunking on toxic gamers" their entire stick, have yet to see the irony that they are these very toxic people—on a gaming forum no less.

Unironically wanting a rich streamer to successfully scam her audience and waving any legit criticism and arguments away with transparent misogyny cries... just to then also complain about the thread's length that they themselves caused with their inane comments is just...something else.

But hey, you go venture forth and increase your ERA street cred by yelling "fuck toxic gamers" and bringing misogyny into hardly related threads. Because that's probably your extreme view on ERA's progressiveness and what people want to see here. Meanwhile, any feminist would actually shake their head at people somehow co-opting this of all topics to "genuinely" bring light to those matters.
Goddamn.

Yes to all of this, especially the last part. Fake woke performative trolling nonsense really.

This hasn't really been my experience. Prominent male streamers involved in scandals have wayyy bigger threads than this one. The Ninja thread about why he won't stream with women went for 19 pages (at 100ppp so almost 40 pages on 50ppp). Another thread about Dr Disrespect went for similarly long. It simply depends on how famous they are and how much bickering will ensue really. And, as others pointed out, sometimes if it's really that blatant in how bad the streamer was behaving, there just isn't much to discuss beyond saying "wow fuck him" so the thread doesn't explode. So, thread page count isn't the only metric.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
This hasn't really been my experience. Prominent male streamers involved in scandals have wayyy bigger threads than this one. The Ninja thread about why he won't stream with women went for 19 pages (at 100ppp so almost 40 pages on 50ppp). Another thread about Dr Disrespect went for similarly long. It simply depends on how famous they are and how much bickering will ensue really. And, as others pointed out, sometimes if it's really that blatant in how bad the streamer was behaving, there just isn't much to discuss beyond saying "wow fuck him" so the thread doesn't explode. So, thread page count isn't the only metric.

Let me rephrase it slightly? Ninja has 16 million twitch followers compared to the 900k that valkyrae had when she streamed on that platform. Obviously bigger names are going to have bigger draws. But when comparatively sized male twitch streamers have controversies, they draw less attention here. Find me a page with a controversy involving a 900k follower male twitch streamer that gets anywhere near the traction.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Raising concerns over a non-existant threat, then offering to sell a solution to it. That's definition snake oil salesman shit. I'm not terribly concerned because this seems minor as fuck but calling it a scam doesn't seem inappropriate.

I mean we have aisles upon aisles of homeopathy "medicine"

Which is probably a bigger scam than this shit. This probably at least has vitamins and minerals that do something right?

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
For me, it's mainly just that the thread uses "backlash" as though hawking this product is some egregious thing that requires the community to unite in opposition to this specific streamer. That's where I see the double standard.

And I'm always going to be wary of topics that appear to single out women in gaming. I really don't give a shit if that comes off defensively sometimes.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Which is probably a bigger scam than this shit. This probably at least has vitamins and minerals that do something right?
That's why I was pretty mild in my criticism, yeah.
EDIT: As unfunny pointed out below, there's other shit out there. I'm personally far more concerned by people being paid ludicrous sums to promote gambling sites. What Rae is doing here is near harmless in comparison. It's a scam but kind of who cares.

Last edited:

Deleted member 90924

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2021
There is a difference between overpriced shit based on over-the-top marketing and outright scams and or false claims.

The dude being sarcastic saying she should go to jail is unironically right. Shit should be criminalized, not just tortious.

Edit: It also says something about greed and human nature that there are these constant gambling, crypto, or other promotional scams happening in the streaming space. I don't really follow streamers, but it is wild to me that Twitch allows this type of shit on their platform. Ads are on thing.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
For me, it's mainly just that the thread uses "backlash" as though hawking this product is some egregious thing that requires the community to unite in opposition to this specific streamer. That's where I see the double standard.

And I'm always going to be wary of topics that appear to single out women in gaming. I really don't give a shit if that comes off defensively sometimes.
100% this and couldn't have said it better myself

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
I think the likely thing is that a company approached her to become the face of it, and they knew that her base was for gamers so they needed a unique selling point to target them. They showed her some 'blue light research' and she agreed.

I highly doubt she made the grift herself

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
It's absolutely harmful and she deserves to be called out on it, but 100% there are men doing the same sort of thing without any backlash.

Those facts aren't contradictory.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
Let me rephrase it slightly? Ninja has 16 million twitch followers compared to the 900k that valkyrae had when she streamed on that platform. Obviously bigger names are going to have bigger draws. But when comparatively sized male twitch streamers have controversies, they draw less attention here. Find me a page with a controversy involving a 900k follower male twitch streamer that gets anywhere near the traction.

If you're using numbers.. why are you using outdated numbers? Valkyrae is considerably more famous and well known compared to her twitch days. It's no debate that Valkyrae is one of the biggest names in streaming today.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Alright for all the people who really think there isn't a more disproportionate amount of attention towards female streamers compared to male streamers regarding any kind of controversy :

www.resetera.com

Twitch announces new category, "Pools, Hot Tubs, and Beaches", live today

https://blog.twitch.tv/en/2021/05/21/lets-talk-about-hot-tub-streams/ "Community and advertiser feedback made clear that we need to offer more ways to control the content that’s recommended as well as where ads appear. So, we’re introducing a new category: Pools, Hot Tubs, and Beaches." I...
16 pages
www.resetera.com

How do you feel about Twitch's current Just Chatting "hot tub meta"?

I had been considering making this thread for a while, but finally decided to do so after xQcOW (the current top streamer on the platform by some metrics) tweeted this today: https://twitter.com/xQc/status/1384097608684109828 (Edit: Just to clarify, I don't care what xQc thinks and am not...
17 pages
www.resetera.com

RIP hot tub streams; ASMR ear licking in 'tiktok leggings' is the new Twitch meta

Maybe NSFW links - features butts in leggings https://www.earlygame.com/entertainment/asmr-meta-twitch-ear-licking-tiktok-leggings-amourant-indiefoxx/ https://www.dexerto.com/entertainment/twitch-meta-shifts-as-asmr-with-tiktok-leggings-overtakes-hot-tub-streams-1595565/ Honestly doesn't...
20 pages

www.resetera.com

What's up with the gambling streams lately on Twitch? (I've read these sponsors pay streamers $1-2 million a month)

I noticed in the last few months some of these streamers playing slots? The streamers that refuse to do so has gained a lot of respect from me. The small possibility of influencing one of your followers to ruin their lives by gambling is pretty awful.
2 pages
www.resetera.com

So people on twitch are now just gambling on slot machines?

Was surprised to see "slots" listed among the top games being watched and it's just... people playing slot machines. Is this something new or have I been living under a rock? https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Slots
4 pages
www.resetera.com

Twitch Streamers Rake in Millions With a Shady Crypto Gambling Boom

https://www.wired.com/story/twitch-streamers-crypto-gambling-boom/ Oblig:
4 pages

As I stated before, I don't care if Valkyrae gets called out for a product not doing what's intended but it seems like some of the reactions are overblown and the reasons are pretty obvious why.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Well said. It's one thing people are poo-poo-ing her product, but sometimes it's TYPE of talking down that happens that makes this a lot uglier than it should.

Guaranteed most people would take the deal she got; barely any celebrity endorsed product has them playing chemist behind the scenes. Any of y'all wanting the gallows for this are weird; there are way bigger grievances and injustices that actually could use that ferver. I don't want this and I won't buy it because the research is there; then I let it go. But an "internet reaction" is a hell of a thing --- doubly so if it's a chick at the centre of the "controversy"

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
If you're using numbers.. why are you using outdated numbers? Valkyrae is considerably more famous and well known compared to her twitch days. It's no debate that Valkyrae is one of the biggest names in streaming today.

I genuinely don't know how the metrics for youtuber subscriber base vs twitch followers goes, if its easier or harder to gain follows on one platform, so that gets more complicated.
But if we decide for sake of argument its all equal, she STILL has less than 1 quarter of ninja's followers.

Alright for all the people who really think there isn't a more disproportionate amount of attention towards female streamers compared to male streamers regarding any kind of controversy :

www.resetera.com

https://blog.twitch.tv/en/2021/05/21/lets-talk-about-hot-tub-streams/ "Community and advertiser feedback made clear that we need to offer more ways to control the content that’s recommended as well as where ads appear. So, we’re introducing a new category: Pools, Hot Tubs, and Beaches." I...
16 pages
www.resetera.com

I had been considering making this thread for a while, but finally decided to do so after xQcOW (the current top streamer on the platform by some metrics) tweeted this today: https://twitter.com/xQc/status/1384097608684109828 (Edit: Just to clarify, I don't care what xQc thinks and am not...
17 pages
www.resetera.com

RIP hot tub streams; ASMR ear licking in 'tiktok leggings' is the new Twitch meta

Maybe NSFW links - features butts in leggings https://www.earlygame.com/entertainment/asmr-meta-twitch-ear-licking-tiktok-leggings-amourant-indiefoxx/ https://www.dexerto.com/entertainment/twitch-meta-shifts-as-asmr-with-tiktok-leggings-overtakes-hot-tub-streams-1595565/ Honestly doesn't...
20 pages

www.resetera.com

What's up with the gambling streams lately on Twitch? (I've read these sponsors pay streamers $1-2 million a month)

I noticed in the last few months some of these streamers playing slots? The streamers that refuse to do so has gained a lot of respect from me. The small possibility of influencing one of your followers to ruin their lives by gambling is pretty awful.
2 pages
www.resetera.com

Was surprised to see "slots" listed among the top games being watched and it's just... people playing slot machines. Is this something new or have I been living under a rock? https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Slots
4 pages
www.resetera.com

4 pages

As I stated before, I don't care if Valkyrae gets called out for a product not doing what's intended but it seems like some of the reactions are overblown and the reasons are pretty obvious why.

Thanks for this post. People are really hesitant to admit there is a sexism problem on reset era but it is plain as fucking day there.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017

www.resetera.com

16 pages
www.resetera.com

17 pages
www.resetera.com

20 pages

www.resetera.com

2 pages
www.resetera.com

4 pages
www.resetera.com

4 pages

39 pages and a lock:
www.resetera.com

Hasan, Twitch political commentator, getting heat for purchasing 2.7 million LA home.

I have no issues with this myself, but curious what ERA thinks? Hasan himself is extremely progressive supporting stronger safety nets, higher taxes, and more public investment. Celebrities and sports stars do the same and no one minds their pockets. Can you be an ardent progressive and also...

8 pages and a lock:
www.resetera.com

WoW/FFXIV streamer Asmongold has a recent history of using ableist slurs and defending the use of racial slurs Video/Streaming

I think SE and Yoshi-P are doing a poor job of enabling this kind of behavior and thus should also answer of why they allowed Asmon into the game. Couldn't they just ban him outright or are they supporting this kind of character?

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
39 pages and a lock:
www.resetera.com

Hasan, Twitch political commentator, getting heat for purchasing 2.7 million LA home.

I have no issues with this myself, but curious what ERA thinks? Hasan himself is extremely progressive supporting stronger safety nets, higher taxes, and more public investment. Celebrities and sports stars do the same and no one minds their pockets. Can you be an ardent progressive and also...

8 pages and a lock:
www.resetera.com

WoW/FFXIV streamer Asmongold has a recent history of using ableist slurs and defending the use of racial slurs Video/Streaming

I think SE and Yoshi-P are doing a poor job of enabling this kind of behavior and thus should also answer of why they allowed Asmon into the game. Couldn't they just ban him outright or are they supporting this kind of character?
Using Hasanabi as a counter example when he's literally the target of constant harassment isn't the gotcha you think it is

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US

And when another streamer promotes that shit, we can criticize them.

The fact that are plenty of other grifts out there doesn't mean this one isn't a scam that needs to be called out.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
So what's your argument, sexism isn't partially why some controversies get way overblown when it involves women ?
Threads get different amount of posts if there is a discussion going on.
No one is defending gambling streams on twitch, there is not much to discuss. Same goes for crypto scams.

Here we have people defending it, so a discussion occurs.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Thanks for this post. People are really hesitant to admit there is a sexism problem on reset era but it is plain as fucking day there.
The hot tub saga and associated threads should have made it clear. People talking about how they're glad they're not their fathers, the usual think of the children pleas and lamenting of the death of their game watching website. Thread was glued steadfast to the top of the front page for a long time.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017

www.resetera.com

16 pages
www.resetera.com

17 pages
www.resetera.com

20 pages

www.resetera.com

2 pages
www.resetera.com

4 pages
www.resetera.com

4 pages

Taking some glances at those bottom three threads has me seeing just about everyone in agreement that the practice and respective people doing it are terrible.

This thread didn't need to be more than 4 pages long either. However, when people start to redefine the definition of scam, do a whole lot whataboutism, and wave away legit criticism by playing the misogyny card, well, it's gonna drag on.

And it wasn't just that people said "oh yeah, this is bad but I feel like she's receiving disproportionate backlash. Still, best she stops." No, they defended her going to ridiculous lengths with the worst ones even wanting her to succeed scamming her audience. Then doubling down over the course of dozens of replies.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines

www.resetera.com

2 pages
www.resetera.com

4 pages
www.resetera.com

4 pages

This three threads didn't get big because there is not much opposition with criticism with the streamers who got mentioned there for slots/gambling scams. Majority of it is agreement

Women really do get shit on, thats true and we've seen this many times. But on this thread? I don't think there is any anger here towards Rae, just criticism/meming on her specially she is the current no.1 female streamer/gaming influencer and on hindsight she could pull this off if only she released a normal cream/soap.

And the implications/accusations of misogyny here is the biggest reason of the back and forth replies.
It's not gonna end unless a MOD steps in

-Edit- God dammit now it feels like I just copied NaDannMaGoGo post. I didn't see that before posting to be honest

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Just to be clear on perspective: Rae gets between 20k-30k viewers every time she streams. Or, she did when Among Us was popular. I imagine she's still around 20k daily. That's more than all but a handful of Twitch streamers. Follower count ain't everything. She has one of the strongest retention rates and viewer rates of any streamer.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
Just to be clear on perspective: Rae gets between 20k-30k viewers every time she streams. Or, she did when Among Us was popular. I imagine she's still around 20k daily. That's more than all but a handful of Twitch streamers. Follower count ain't everything. She has one of the strongest retention rates and viewer rates of any streamer.

Yeah
FrN2aGB.png

iBNRf6u.png

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
They finally updated the website, it seems. I now know exactly what that BPLF stuff actually is:

rflct.com

Blue Light 101: How Blue Light Impacts Your Skin

What is blue light? Blue light is a high-energy, short-wavelength light that falls on the spectrum of visible light—just like UV rays (sunlight) and infrared light. It’s emitted by the sun, but also your electronic screens, from laptops to phones. How does blue light impact skin The most recent...

Then, defend against free radicals with antioxidants. RFLCT harnesses the power of BLPF™, a Japanese plant extract long used in skincare to shield, soothe and heal the skin. It's rich in polyphenols, which serve as powerful antioxidants, as well as vitamin A and vitamin C — two skincare heavyweights that both neutralize free radicals and help undo any damage they've caused. After cleansing with Aura Reset Facial Gel Cleanser, which pairs BLPF™ with hydrating humectants, follow up with the Screen Shield Defense Face Moisturizer and Eye Revive Gel Treatment. Both contain BLPF™, as well as key actives that smooth and replenish skin. Then, shield skin with a zinc oxide-based sunscreen.

It's the artemisia caprillaris flower extract. Not a lot of American brands use it, but it's used quite a bit in Korean skincare. It's anti-viral, anti-microbial, and has some niacin, Vitamin A and Vitamin C. And, like other plants in the wormwood family, it's commonly used to help with intestinal issues and is specifically used to help with liver disorders and hepatits.

In skincare, it's usually marketed in products for people with dry, irritated, sensitive or red skin.

Artemisia capillaris Yin Chen Hao PFAF Plant Database

Artemisia capillaris is a deciduous Shrub growing to 0.5 m (1ft 8in) by 0.5 m (1ft 8in). See above for USDA hardiness. It is hardy to UK zone 7. It is in flower from August to October, and the seeds ripen from September to October. The species is hermaphrodite (has both male and female organs)...

Soko Glam I'm From: Mugwort line: https://sokoglam.com/collections/mugwort-products

Of course, one can find cheaper products that include this extract or has those same anti-oxidants, and there are no studies on the flower's ability to counter blue light exposure, of course, but there's nothing really all that deceptive about this product, y'all.

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
They finally updated the website, it seems. I now know exactly what that BPLF stuff actually is:

It's the artemisia caprillaris flower extract. Not a lot of American brands use it, but it's used quite a bit in Korean skincare. It's anti-viral, anti-microbial, and has some niacin, Vitamin A and Vitamin C. And, like other plants in the wormwood family, it's commonly used to help with intestinal issues and is specifically used to help with liver disorders and hepatits.

In skincare, it's usually marketed in products for people with dry, irritated, sensitive or red skin.

Artemisia capillaris Yin Chen Hao PFAF Plant Database

Artemisia capillaris is a deciduous Shrub growing to 0.5 m (1ft 8in) by 0.5 m (1ft 8in). See above for USDA hardiness. It is hardy to UK zone 7. It is in flower from August to October, and the seeds ripen from September to October. The species is hermaphrodite (has both male and female organs)...

Soko Glam I'm From: Mugwort line: https://sokoglam.com/collections/mugwort-products

Of course, one can find cheaper products that include this extract or has those same anti-oxidants, and there are no studies on the flower's ability to counter blue light exposure, of course, but there's nothing really all that deceptive about this product, y'all.
I mean I'm pretty sure the whole blue light thing is why this thread exists

If she was just selling what you descirbed, people would be like oh cool, but nah they needed a kool hook

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
We're not going to prove or disprove sexism on era by thread length. This is a waste of time.

What matters is what people post and whether they get pushback for it.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
somebody noticed! I was proud of that one
I noticed the lack of credit. Unacceptable.

We're not going to prove or disprove sexism on era by thread length. This is a waste of time.

What matters is what people post and whether they get pushback for it.
Agree. And to that end, it's good to continue speaking to individual posts and not asserting the need to make meta commentary on entire conversation threads featuring hundreds of people. (not talking about you; just in general)

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
I remember Hasan's million dollar house caused a lot of controversy that it made it to I believe an SNL skit. Is this as big as that? I can't tell if the level of outrage people put out for certain "scandals" are ever appropriate or not.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I know you're gold and not meaning to draw a line here, but do want to note that on one side there's a discussion around women in revealing clothes or bikinis in hot tubs, and on the other things like racial slurs and sexual assault. Just feel like these things are not so easily set against one another y'know. That the former became a big enough topic across multiple threads to the extent that it's brought in against such things does speak to part of the issue imo.

Last edited: