• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
User Banned (1 Week): Sexism.
That's a shit ton of make up and hair spray to play some videogames

Not my cuppa tea

People need to leave this personality worship in the dust and not just in videogames

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Is this the most #GamersRiseUp thread here?

And that combat tutorial should've been in one of the plateau shrines that you have to go through, so weird stuff this basic (albeit unnecessary) would be at all optional.

Not my cuppa tea

People need to leave this personality worship in the dust and not just in videogames
Think of how much more bs she'd get if she didn't have that much makeup on.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I think exactly what I said in the post you quoted.
The only way you would think she was lying is if she planned this out years in advance.

For this to be an act, she would've had to decide A.) To buy it, B.) To spoil the mechanics, and then C.) Play 95 hours with pitch-perfect acting and no slips of muscle memory so as not to let on she knew about the mechanics already.

For what, exactly? Attention? She's already a sponsored streamer, which is undoubtedly the thing that helped signal-boost this in the first place since there was already an install base to share the video, meaning- again- she would've had to have gone into Twitch streaming for as long as she did with as much gumption as she did to gather said audience before Breath of the Wild came out to make this long-ass con.

This is what you and others are playing at. It's dumb.

Maybe she likes to look like that regardless.

Fuck is it to you?

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
She did everything right! Play the game how you want to.

Also, her hammy reactions are just top tier streamer camera work. TV presenters have to do this all the time, as do some salespeople or hospitality folk. Also some people just have very large personalities.

Her experience reminds me of playing Oblivion, where I played for seventy hours as an archer and had a great time with my first elder scrolls. A friend said 'but isn't annoying with the demons spawning all over the map'... I had neglected to close the first Oblivion gate and do whatever causes the spawning!! I had no idea. Oops I accidentally had a great time.

Exactly. Yes, she is probably playing up her reactions a bit more than if she was not playing for a crowd but like...hamming it up is what you do for the camera as an entertainer. That doesn't mean that she staged this whole thing in some grand conspiracy to get likes and views. People are so stupid.

Get the fuck out of here with this sexist garbage.

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
Though it'd be fun to go down this rabbit, going to cut it short and mention to Krauser that the person you're quoting is citing a meme that carried over from GAF. Back when Final Fantasy XIII was announced to be coming to the Xbox 360 (the first Xbox FF game), there was an infamous NeoGAF post about Japanese game developer culture and honor and shame that became a meme that still persists today. It got so well known even some games (like Persona 4) lightly reference it in the game. So on occasion people will spin it to the topic as hand, as it's kinda' a joking way to show

Thanks for the info. My Occam's razor for how crazy this culture gets is getting dull.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to butt in here and say that my 12 year old self played through RE4 and didn't know you could run until the late castle area. I ain't lying.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Not quite the same thing, but I was somewhat "lost" in Dark Souls for maybe four hours after hitting Firelink Shrine. I didn't realize that there was a stair well in the background leading up to the Undead Burg, so I spent all of that time slowly making progress through the Catacombs. I thought the game seemed bizarrely more difficult at that point than it should have been, and maybe those claiming the game was "harder" than Demon's were correct.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to butt in here and say that my 12 year old self played through RE4 and didn't know you could run until the late castle area. I ain't lying.
I didn't know you could run up and do melee attacks to stunned enemies in RE4 until the second playthrough myself (I knew you could knife them, didn't know you could melee them).

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much the first thing I do in any game is to do a button check. I will try out every button to see what it does. I will try out every button in different contexts to see what they do (IE: game allows you to lock on to an enemy? What does each button do while locked on as opposed to when not locked on?).

It's something I pretty much do unconsciously to become acquainted with game controls, and it allows me to teach myself a good portion of the mechanics. I might miss out on a few things, like the shield surf in BotW, but it serves me well.

I don't understand these people who go through entire games without checking what a button does.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
No? I think exactly what I said in the post you quoted. I didn't read your Seinfeld script.

I'll simplify it again, streamers act.
How is this woman behaving in such a way that would make you think that? We have already unfortunately discussed how stupid it would be to insinuate she lied to her viewers for over one-hundred hours to make a short video that may or may not have even gone viral, without slipping up and doing the moves she claimed to not know through muscle memory.

Like you are obviously talking about her, if your claim was unfinished and you meant to say "Streamers act like human beings" then I would be inclined to agree.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017

Not my cuppa tea

Every day I see something and I'm like that's the worst take I'll see on ERA today and then someone decides they need to one up it.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
if you wear anything more complicated than a burlap sack and a thick patina of grease on stream,

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Don't remember when I hit that shrine, but if it was near Kakariko then yep I probably didn't do it until 40-50 hours in. Main quests are nice and all, but have you seen that giant bridge to the south? Impa can wait.

But she's got like... makeup on so it must all be an act and she's a fake gamer girl we live in a society etc. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.