• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Why does every goddamned thread on this forum turn into a clusterfuck now? Can't you people just be NORMAL for once.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Of course she knew. This way gets more viewers and attention though.
"You know what I'm gonna do, Jerry?

"I'm gonna wake up today and start a Twitch channel. I'm gonna get big enough to get some sponsors and a fan base.

"In a few years when Breath of the Wild comes out, a game in a franchise I don't even play, I'm going to play it first. I'm then going to lie to my established audience that I don't know anything about this game and pretend to play the game without knowing the extended combat mechanics.

"Then I'm going to upload my reaction upon discovering the tutorial onto my also established Twitter because as a woman I need attention--

"No, no, no, Jerry! It's not stupid! You're missing the point. In order for me to get attention, I need to build up a Twitch fanbase, wait for a Zelda game to come out, and then pretend to fuck up at it.

"It's how you make money in this late-stage capitalist world."

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't there someone on GAF who went through MGS3 without tending to Snake's injuries lol?
Something similar happened to me on Skyrim , where I missed the Standing Stones you're supposed to go to as soon as you escape from the prison at the beginning.
Aren't you literally forced to heal Snakes wounds at the start of the game though?

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
"You know what I'm gonna do, Jerry?

"I'm gonna wake up today and start a Twitch channel. I'm gonna get big enough to get some sponsors and a fan base.

"In a few years when Breath of the Wild comes out, a game in a franchise I don't even play, I'm going to play it first. I'm then going to lie to my established audience that I don't know anything about this game and pretend to play the game without knowing the extended combat mechanics.

"Then I'm going to upload my reaction upon discovering the tutorial onto my also established Twitter because as a woman I need attention--

"No, no, no, Jerry! It's not stupid! You're missing the point. In order for me to get attention, I need to build up a Twitch fanbase, wait for a Zelda game to come out, and then pretend to fuck up at it.

"It's how you make money in this late-stage capitalist world."
I mean yea, Twitch streamers are closer to actors than how normal people talk and act.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having a hard time believing that people are seriously calling fake on this. I think they're only doing it to get attention, and score points with the cool idiots. I mean, how could you miss the fact that people miss shit all the time?

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
You...you can charge attacks in BotW?

...haha, I mean, I knew that. I totally didn't beat the game and sink 90 hours in without knowing that. Haha.
Lmao

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
This happened to me on my playthrough of Master Mode, didn't come across the tutorial until like the 200 hour mark.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
After that was the one on top of the mountain guarding the lightning arrows you need for the Divine Beast, and I sat there for a minute or two wondering what Nintendo was playing at with this bullshit.
See, my immediate assumption was to sneak around and collect the arrows.

When the Lynel spotted me I freaked out and jumped off the cliff. On the long climb back up I thought to myself, you know what, I'm stronger than I was before, maybe I can take him.

Broke one weapon barely making a dent and jumped off the cliff again.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I mean yea, Twitch streamers are closer to actors than how normal people talk and act.

I can't tell what's parody anymore. This is some next level tinfoil hat shit.

I'm having a hard time believing that people are seriously calling fake on this. I think they're only doing it to get attention, and score points with the cool idiots. I mean, how could you miss the fact that people miss shit all the time?

Absolutely and complete inability to put themselves in anyone else's shoes, even as a thought experiment. This thread is actually great at low-key exposing people's capacity for empathy. :D

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
See, my immediate assumption was to sneak around and collect the arrows.

When the Lynel spotted me I freaked out and jumped off the cliff. On the long climb back up I thought to myself, you know what, I'm stronger than I was before, maybe I can take him.

Broke one weapon barely making a dent and jumped off the cliff again.
Haha, same with me. I knew you had to sneak around, but the fact that a lynel was there and I'd already been traumatized had me sitting on my couch Thinker style like "What did I do wrong in my life?"

I think one time I got caught, I ran around gathering the remaining arrows I needed before bailing.

I can't tell what's parody anymore. This is some next level tinfoil hat shit.
"We've got them now, Jerry. It's working!"

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

I'm still trying to wrap my head around your whole mental model of the situation. I mean, you're saying she:
- Lied about not having played the game.
- Went on to play the game on camera for 95 hours, convincingly faking she was playing blind.
- Successfully avoided using any single one of these techniques during any of these 95 hours (this may be the biggest leap of logic for me; I mean, she didn't even slip up once into muscle memory? Wow!).
- All of this for a five minute video payoff of her faking learning of the existence of these moves.

Is that about right? Am I off with any of these points? Please correct me if I got anything wrong, this is downright fascinating.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wanna say there's a short blurb during the great plateau saying you can dodge attacks with the jump button, but I may not be remembering that right. Even if there is it would be easy to click through it. This shrine is at a location the game does suggest you go to early on, but it's BotW so you could miss it or ignore it.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still trying to wrap my head around your whole mental model of the situation. I mean, you're saying she:
- Went on to play the game on camera for 95 hours, convincingly faking she was playing blind.
- Successfully avoided using any single one of these techniques during any of these 95 hours (this may be the biggest leap of logic for me; I mean, she didn't even slip up once into muscle memory? Wow!).
- All of this for a five minute video payoff of her faking learning of the existence of these moves.

Is that about right? Am I off with any of these points? Please correct me if I got anything wrong, this is downright fascinating.

I mean... 'play' Zelda for 95 hours without charge attacking to post a twitter video and go Viral?

Small price to pay.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I shouldn't be surprised, but it's really incredible how much intent and manipulation Twitch audiences ascribe to women and how much they deny to men. When a woman misses a tutorial, it's part of a months-long, byzantine con with the intention of getting more viewers. When Pewdiepie recommends a Nazi, he's just flailing at the keyboard. Women mastermind global conspiracies, but men are incapable of keeping racist slurs out of their mouth.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine how deeply humiliating it would've been for her if she'd accidentally charge attacked 60 hours in and her house of cards had come tumbling down. Quick, let's all watch all her archived streams to try to find the fault in her plan. And donate a lot of money to her to see if that stirs her guilt and compels her to be honest. We'll get to the bottom of this!

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
I myself found a new way to unlock seeds at like hour 100 and it felt sort of amazing, another reason to love the game.

I don't believe she never did one of those moves in 95 hours. Impossible. I believe she might have done them by accident and not know how to replicate or maybe not notice the prompt until the actual tutorial but I didn't the the previous 95 hours.

But in the end what is the point? Is the video aimed to be a negative or positive. I don't get some of the reactions and why it has devolved.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
She did everything right! Play the game how you want to.

Also, her hammy reactions are just top tier streamer camera work. TV presenters have to do this all the time, as do some salespeople or hospitality folk. Also some people just have very large personalities.

Her experience reminds me of playing Oblivion, where I played for seventy hours as an archer and had a great time with my first elder scrolls. A friend said 'but isn't annoying with the demons spawning all over the map'... I had neglected to close the first Oblivion gate and do whatever causes the spawning!! I had no idea. Oops I accidentally had a great time.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is honestly incredible. Even IF she knew the whole time, it'd be next level if she was such a mastermind to avoid it for her whole 95-hour playthrough, only to build up to this manufactured moment. It'd be amazing in a completely different way.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I don't believe she never did one of those moves in 95 hours. Impossible. I believe she might have done them by accident and not know how to replicate or maybe not notice the prompt until the actual tutorial but I didn't the the previous 95 hours.
I think it's pretty possible not to run into them! I don't believe these games are her usual thing.

My partner plays almost no games but clocked over a hundred hours in BOTW. She never uses these moves!! She uses archery, but mostly relies on food items and extra hearts.

Oct 25, 2017

Women are such sneaky and manipulative creatures that they would create this masterplan for the clicks.
lol

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
If it isn't staged then it's clear there're some games that clearly weren't made for the average streamer.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe she never did one of those moves in 95 hours. Impossible.
A lot of their combat relies on context and holding down certain buttons while using other inputs. It's not impossible to miss this.
But in the end what is the point? Is the video aimed to be a negative or positive.
The video is obviously an amusing bit of self-deprecation.

But #gamers decided to come in here and accuse her of being a liar based on the fact that she's a woman who didn't play the game like they did.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Why wouldn't the game do a rundown of all different tactic tutorials through different encounters for the first few hours? Odd to suddenly trigger one that late.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Why wouldn't the game do a rundown of all different tactic tutorials through different encounters for the first few hours? Odd to suddenly trigger one that late.
Because Nintendo got accused of making Zelda too hand-holdy, and decided to make a game where you figure out everything as you go. Again, they made it so you can technically beat Ganon after leaving the Plateau, thus missing the shrine she did. Most of the stuff you do is for the sake of convenience and exploration.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The game doesn't require the player to be tutorialized on non-essential mechanics. It triggered in this shrine, because this shrine exists to show off this tactic, but it's completely optional.

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how much the rest of you know about streaming culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in television where you can become successful by being an a******. If you stage a reaction over in youtube, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.
HONOR AND SHAME!?!?! the fuck are you talking about.

Let your heart be your guide.
it hurts the heart but i laughed way too hard at this.

Last edited:

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
A dodge mechanic seems like a rudimentary thing to teach it, but I haven't played myself. Interesting that it's unnecessary through a lot of the game.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
My first thought was, "Yuuuup," I stream and do videos sometimes, and have missed things like this myself, and her reaction is similar to when I realize I've not known about something the whole game.

I was expecting to see some fun jaunty jokes and fun chat, but of course the topic has a lot of people accusing her of lying and acting. Some of y'all are way too uptight, suspicious, and accusatory from gut instinct. I should've remembered some people here for some reason really don't like streamers and get weirdly accusatory towards them.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A dodge mechanic seems like a rudimentary thing to teach it, but I haven't played myself. Interesting that it's unnecessary through a lot of the game.

It is unnecessary. She wouldn't have made it through 95 hours of the game otherwise. There's plenty of mechanics in this game that aren't necessary in order to progress.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
My first thought was, "Yuuuup," I stream and do videos sometimes, and have missed things like this myself, and her reaction is similar to when I realize I've not known about something the whole game.

I was expecting to see some fun jaunty jokes and fun chat, but of course the topic has a lot of people accusing her of lying and acting. Some of y'all are way too uptight, suspicious, and accusatory from gut instinct. I should've remember some people here for some reason really don't like streamers and get weirdly accusatory towards them.
It's really not uncommon for people to miss things in games.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Same thing happened to me. Not 95 hours in, but we're talking a LOT of hours in. Look, if a game tells me to go somewhere and it gives me freedom to go somewhere else, I'll go somewhere else!
Same here. When games have an objective marker, that's a place I'll avoid until I've looked around first.

Played the game for 80+ hours and beat it back when it launched... Not entirely sure if I knew you could charge attacks.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
It's really not uncommon for people to miss things in games.

Exactly, and her responses seem genuine to me while also still being in the "Streamer roll", and I don't think she's the only one who's been through this. It's also telling some immediately got accusatory despite the fact she was streaming the game the whole time and it's obvious they didn't background check this at all and just were speaking from their ill-informed gut, conditioned by what I can only assume is some viewpoint expressed onto them from their life. Even if she was staging this (which she isn't), why does it even matter? Some people getting way too uptight here and stirring drama.

HONOR AND SHAME!?!?! the fuck are you talking about.
Clearly, you're not an expert of streaming culture if you don't get it.
Though it'd be fun to go down this rabbit, going to cut it short and mention to Krauser that the person you're quoting is citing a meme that carried over from GAF. Back when Final Fantasy XIII was announced to be coming to the Xbox 360 (the first Xbox FF game), there was an infamous NeoGAF post about Japanese game developer culture and honor and shame that became a meme that still persists today. It got so well known even some games (like Persona 4) lightly reference it in the game. So on occasion people will spin it to the topic as hand, as it's kinda' a joking way to show uptight some people are sounding in the thread.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I knew there was parry in the game but didn't know how to do it until I was done with all 4 dungeons. I also didn't know how to shield surf for a very long time.

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
It's kinda cool how little hand holding the game has... then again it's kinda bad that the developers never though that maybe some players are going to skip this (one of a kind?) tutorial that introduces core move sets to the player.

Status
Not open for further replies.