• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Just said on stream that she got many requests because of reddit asking her to try dragonforce, but apparently the one that started it was one of the bandmembers? That's pretty neat. Then proceeded to play her version of it then added bubble bobble to the end of it for the hell of it.

The difference between her and Dragonforce is that she can actually play the song live.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
this is the lady that did that videogame meddley a few months ago where she went from videogame theme to videogame theme in one sitting right?

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
There's also Pianoimproman on Twitch that does similar stuff. His channel kinda exploded all of a sudden a couple of years ago.

https://www.twitch.tv/pianoimproman

He's a retired musician living in Florida with is wife that just streams almost everyday now lol. He's really great.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine this version being used for an Oscar winning movie trailer like that weird ass version of Creep for the Social Network.

The difference between her and Dragonforce is that she can actually play the song live.
DragonForce didn't die it was murdered.

Holy shit

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
watch her live on twitch, the way she switches from song to song is fantastic

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I was watching her stream earlier tonight, and she took a break, then came back had around 3000 people watching. She was like, "What's going on? This is like 5 times the normal amount of people I have!"

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
She streamed 7 hours today. Took 1 hour break in between. Playing medley the whole time from chat.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
The best part of Lara's streaming for me isn't the impressiveness of the learns or the impressiveness of being able to play songs called out in chat for hours, it's the feeling she puts into the songs. So really the long versions of songs she already knows. She doesn't go viral because of that.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
Her stuff is always great.

I don't know music well enough, is this something you can learn or is this prodigy tier? Because it's like an Ear-Sharingan.

As far as learning this particular piece of music, it's actually not that difficult. Harmonically the song's actually not that terribly complex, in total it's maybe 6-7 chords/generalized note groups and the key/most basic note stays the same throughout. Notice her left hand on the base part doesn't move around much and often goes back to the same positions. Rock music has relatively predictable cadences, i.e. particular sequences of chords that end/begin a particular musical section/idea like going from the verse to the chorus, so to even the moderately trained ear it's not hard to listen and predict what's coming next (also why she's able to pretty easily point out "this sounds very chorus-y" right when it happens). The melody also pretty much stays entirely with the same key, so knowing basic major and minor scales will get you through the relatively small melodic intervals/jumps in pitch from note to note. All that being said, doing it as quickly and effortlessly as she does comes down to having practiced a long time and having both a good grasp of music theory and a well-trained ear, and the time and dedication it takes to get to that level is for sure praiseworthy on her part. She's really good, don't get me wrong, also largely because mechanistically playing piano at this level IS pretty hard and she's doing this all with relatively few mistakes, but this video specifically is hardly prodigy-level stuff given the material she's working with. Given enough time this level of musical ability is certainly achievable.

Perfect pitch AND synesthesia? Holy shit

I wouldn't call this perfect pitch, though a really well-trained ear. And I think people in here have a misconception of what synesthesia is. synesthesia is the experience of perception from two or more unrelated sensory modalities from the same stimulus, i.e. perceiving uncolored digits as colors or tasting a sound. EDIT: OK nvm I see in another she talks about having synesthesia.

Last edited:

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
She is talented and she has from what someone above said perfect pitch and synesthesia. Even with those things what really sets her apart is the 30 years of playing and training. Music is structure and she has dedicated her life to the craft of understanding music. Awesome channel and she gained another subscriber.

Dang, seems like her talents are being wasted if she only has her Twitch stream.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
This song was made to be scary from guitar hero. The basic structure of the song so super easy. It's harder to play on a video game than it is to play in real life.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty awesome! The Mega Medley is even cooler. Started following her on Twitch, hopefully I'll be able to catch her stream on Monday (Sunday's way too early for me).

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Synesthesia is just a cool thing to have but I'm not sure it has any influence on her skills or learning ability.

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, though, she didn't actually make it to the chorus. What she (understandably) misidentified as the chorus is better described as the song's pre-chorus.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Synesthesia is just a cool thing to have but I'm not sure it has any influence on her skills or learning ability.
I think it gives her improved perception. Like, she says people ask her "How did you know that was D-flat?" And she responds "Because it was warm orange."

I figure, her mutant superpower is giving her an improved ability to break down and analyze and remember a song. But her 30 years of training and practice and hard work is what gives her the ability to play a piano as easily as some people might hum a tune.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's nothing about the song that is especially difficult to learn how to bang out on the piano (she even says it's just the double-kick and speed that makes it sound scary) but it's still crazy impressive she picked it up in like 30 seconds.

Yea, I was going to say this.

She has over two decades of musical experience that includes a degree in the field.

TTFAF isn't really that difficult of a song beyond the tempo. (also it's a really bad song)

With her level of skill and training I would expect her to be able to get the chords down rather fast, irregardless of any other special musical gifts she has that has been posted in the thread.

Did.....did she just improv TtFatF on the piano just by listening to it? HOW. Now seriously how the flying fuck did she did this, pure talent.

20+ years of playing music, that's how.

When you dedicate yourself to a craft you get crazy good

Last edited:

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it gives her improved perception. Like, she says people ask her "How did you know that was D-flat?" And she responds "Because it was warm orange."

I figure, her mutant superpower is giving her an improved ability to break down and analyze and remember a song. But her 30 years of training and practice and hard work is what gives her the ability to play a piano as easily as some people might hum a tune.

Right, it probably makes things easier to break down but in reality anyone in her talent level should have trained their ears to the point where they can easily name off notes and play portions of songs by ear without the need of sheet music.

Think of all the music you (you as in the people in this thread) hear on a daily basis. If you hear a new song, chances are you can predict chord progressions without even knowing what is going to happen next, or even without knowing what a chord progression even is.

Now imagine if you've trained decades on music theory and know chord progressions by heart, you'll be able to pick apart any type of modern music with ease.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018
I don't get why Through the Fire and Flames is considered this crazy song in large parts of the internet, especially for a pianist. Have people never listened to Chopin or Mozart? It's just embarrassing to read "you will die" and shit like that when she's probably played stuff like Fantaisie Impromptu.

She's a real talent though and I loved her medley video.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why Through the Fire and Flames is considered this crazy song in large parts of the internet, especially for a pianist. Have people never listened to Chopin or Mozart? It's just embarrassing to read "you will die" and shit like that when she's probably played stuff like Fantaisie Impromptu.

Yes, most people have not.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017

The song is hard as fuck in Guitar Hero. I think that's really where its reputation comes from.

I just saw this vid she did with another artist named Marcus Veltri where they went on Omegle and played for strangers. Basically like what people were doing on Chat Roulette a few years ago. The number of pervs she encounters is crazy, but she's got a great sense of humor.