• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I was wondering what's the best way to stream from a PC to my TV nowadays? I would like to keep my PC in the office as I use it a lot for work (and it's too big).

I read somewhere that Steam Link is a good option? Can I somehow download this on an LG 55B6? I know there was a dedicated box from Valve but it was discontinued.

tastybread

Oct 27, 2017
Would something like the Nvidia Shield help here? It's an android device, so I think you could plug a controller into it. And then you'd use Steam link (desktop app)?

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
If you have an Nvidia GPU, I'd highly recommend using Moonlight Game Streaming over Steam Link. I've tried both and Moonlight is just better in every way. Only problem is it requires a somewhat-recent NVidia GPU. All you need to run Moonlight is a PC laptop or something with Android connected to your TV (I hear the new Chromecast With Google TV is a good inexpensive option).

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
My TV (Samsung) has a steam link app that works great. If Lg doesn't have an app, any android box that can get apps from the Play store would be good

BlodiaMkII

Jan 5, 2019
I personally love the Nvidia shield. I've got the 2015 model paired up with a gtx 1060 in my pc and it works well.

DaCocoBrova

Oct 27, 2017
I have exponentially more powerful hardware all around now (PC, laptop, network)...yet I remember getting MUCH better performance like 5 years ago on average. The compression/macro blocking/dropped frames is a mess now via Steam Link no matter the host/client settings. I need to go back to Moonlight I think. Very odd that I get better performance when I connect from outside of my LAN than I do sitting next to the router.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I read somewhere that Steam Link is a good option? Can I somehow download this on an LG 55B6? I know there was a dedicated box from Valve but it was discontinued.

Steam Link is pretty good, though Moonlight is better if you have the option; Moonlight has generally better streaming quality, lets you stream from other stores (Windows Store, Origin, EGS, GoG, etc.), and more stable in my experience.

And no, Steam Link isn't available for LG smart tvs unfortunately.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
Moonlight is the best option if you've got an NVIDIA GPU. There's a webOS port of Moonlight, but it's not up to par with the other versions yet and you'd have to side-load it which isn't as convenient on webOS as it is on e.g. Android. Otherwise, your options for Moonlight are basically any kind of Android device with HDMI out, an Apple TV/iPad/iPhone, or a laptop, connected to the TV. Moonlight also runs on a "hacked" Switch or Vita, if you wanna go down that rabbit hole.

If you don't have a device you can use, I recommend getting a cheap 4K-rated Android TV box (e.g. Xiaomi Mi Box 4K). A Shield is overkill for just streaming. If I were you, I'd only buy one if I could get a good deal used.

If you have an AMD GPU: Steam Link. There isn't a webOS app at all, but there are apps for Android/Apple so the advice here is same as above.

Edit: Also, for moonlight you have to do it through the geforce library, right? For the life of me I cannot get that shit to recognize my games.

You would only have to do that for non-Steam games (or at least those that don't run well under Steam). For everything else, you can just manually add the Steam executable under the Shield section in GeForce Experience and launch into Big Picture (unless automatically detected, which I think it was the last time I set up my machine). GFE's detection of games is whitelist-based I guess. Some of my UWP games appear, some don't. But for the most part, the games I've tried seem to work fine after being added manually.

Last edited:

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I snagged a steam link for 50$ because despite owning a 3080 I don't have any device that can do moonlight to my TV. Check craigslist or whatever your country uses to just quickly see if any are around.

It's fine for my purposes, I mostly play JRPGs/indies on it which don't need super high resolutions or low input lag to be enjoyable.

Edit: Also, for moonlight you have to do it through the geforce library, right? For the life of me I cannot get that shit to recognize my games.

OP
OP
Necron

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
If you have an Nvidia GPU, I'd highly recommend using Moonlight Game Streaming over Steam Link. I've tried both and Moonlight is just better in every way. Only problem is it requires a somewhat-recent NVidia GPU. All you need to run Moonlight is a PC laptop or something with Android connected to your TV (I hear the new Chromecast With Google TV is a good inexpensive option).
I do have an Nvidia GPU (RTX 2080). Sounds like I should try out Moonlight Game Streaming + get a something with Android for the TV.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
You don't even need THAT recent of a Nvidia GPU these days, I think as long as it's 10XX or newer it's supported.

I've used Moonlight on my iPad for years at this point with my 1070 which I think I got 4 or 5 years ago.

If you do use Steam Link OP, make sure to set the bit rate setting (it's kinda buried in the second or third settings menu) to be higher as long as you have good wifi/internet. At default it's only like 10 mbps which makes the video quality and latency poor, but when I bumped it up to 30-50 it got a lot better and closer to Moonlight.
Moonlight also has that setting which I usually set to about 40 or 50.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Do you currently have a wired network connection going to the TV? If so, consider using HDBaseT instead of an IP streaming based solution. It's more expensive, for sure, but will give you native HDMI signal instead of transcoded video.

Last edited:

Poshi

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Nvidia Shield TV Pro is what you need if you want the best (and uncomplicated). It comes with integrated 4k upscaling.

If not Steam Link is a good bet, but any of the newer android tv-devices should do the job. People like streaming via moonlight, but i use Nvidias own gamestream on my shield.

Burnburn

Oct 26, 2017
I wanted to do the exact same thing for the new Yakuza games, so good timing on the topic!

Moonlight is the best option if you've got an NVIDIA GPU. There's a webOS port of Moonlight, but it's not up to par with the other versions yet and you'd have to side-load it which isn't as convenient on webOS as it is on e.g. Android. Otherwise, your options for Moonlight are basically any kind of Android device with HDMI out, an Apple TV/iPad/iPhone, or a laptop, connected to the TV. Moonlight also runs on a "hacked" Switch or Vita, if you wanna go down that rabbit hole.

Interesting, in what way do you mean it's not up to par to other versions of moonlight? I want to stream 4k60fps to my LG tv and very interested in trying this out. How does it recognise your games on the PC? Do you need to load them up in the PC app of Moonlight or something? I only really see how to get it working on the TV but how does it work on the PC side?

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
A lot depends on how far away these elements are, and what kinds of thing you want to interface with at the other end.

Broadly, option one is to have a Steam Link / Moonlight client, running on some hardware next to your TV, performing remote-play with your PC over your home network, and outputting AV to where it needs to go (eg. into the TV, or into a receiver).
Option two is to send the AV itself - for instance just using a very long HDMI cable running the distance to the TV / recevier.

Opt 1:
Running ethernet sets you up nicely for option one. Depending on your house size and shape it could be more fiddly, or less.
Because you'd be installing a network, it would offer flexibility for other purposes down the line (rather than just a direct AV link in option two).
The alternative version of option one is to have kickarse wifi of the latest standards. You'd need to carefully ensure that the wifi capabilities of the PC, the router, and the receiving device, were all at the same high level of performance. Otherwise the connection is limited to the speed of the slowest point. High speeds are essential for this solution - realistically ethernet is as superior in strength and robustness as it is inferior in convenience ...

Opt 2:
There are limits to how far HDMI can travel, but there are higher grades for this kind of purpose.
One advantage of HDMI is you don't need another bit of hardware next to the TV ... The NVIDIA Shield Pro is great, but not cheap.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I use the Steam Link to do it, but it's limited to 1080p. I'd like a 4K option, but I'm also spoiled by buying the Steam Link for like fifteen dollars, so recommending a $200 box isn't the attractive option people think it is.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Option one run a hdmi cable if possible. If not the second best option is Nvidia shield.
Second-best to running HDMI and USB cables is sending HDMI and USB over Ethernet via an HDBase-T adapter.
Video quality is near-lossless, and there's zero latency.

But it's an expensive option.
You'd pay about as much as the Shield TV Pro (or more) for the transmitter/receiver, and most need a point-to-point connection (no passing through a router).
It's a significantly better option than wasting system resources and adding latency by compressing the video down to a comparatively-low bit-rate H.264/HEVC stream though.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
Interesting, in what way do you mean it's not up to par to other versions of moonlight? I want to stream 4k60fps to my LG tv and very interested in trying this out.

It's a fairly new project with missing features still. No hardware video decoding is the big one, causing performance to suffer greatly at the hands of a low-power TV CPU. The latest demo I saw was skipping frames at a 720p30 target. Moonlight/Game Stream can definitely do 4k60 right now on a streaming device that's capable of it. And you'll probably want wired networking too (a USB 3.0 Gigabit adapter should be enough on the Xiaomi even though capped by USB 2.0).

How does it recognise your games on the PC? Do you need to load them up in the PC app of Moonlight or something? I only really see how to get it working on the TV but how does it work on the PC side?

You don't need Moonlight software on the host PC. The Moonlight client (i.e. the device connected to the TV) appears as a Shield device to GeForce Experience, whereupon GFE will want to pair it. The games are managed entirely through GFE. GFE should automatically add officially supported games on your PC, and other games can be added manually. Once added, they will automatically be picked up by the Moonlight client over the network. If you have a lot of Steam games, you can just add Steam itself and stream Big Picture Mode better than Steam Link does. You can even add mstsc.exe and stream your desktop.

Last edited:

Burnburn

Oct 26, 2017
It's a fairly new project with missing features still. No hardware video decoding is the big one, causing performance to suffer greatly at the hands of a low-power TV CPU. The latest demo I saw was skipping frames at a 720p30 target. Moonlight/Game Stream can definitely do 4k60 right now on a streaming device that's capable of it. And you'll probably want wired networking too (a USB 3.0 Gigabit adapter should be enough on the Xiaomi even though capped by USB 2.0).

You don't need Moonlight software on the host PC. The Moonlight client (i.e. the device connected to the TV) appears as a Shield device to GeForce Experience, whereupon GFE will want to pair it. The games are managed entirely through GFE. GFE should automatically add officially supported games on your PC, and other games can be added manually. Once added, they will automatically be picked up by the Moonlight client over the network. If you have a lot of Steam games, you can just add Steam itself and stream Big Picture Mode better than Steam Link does. You can even add mstsc.exe and stream your desktop.

I see, thanks for the information! From your information it seems like it's not what I'm looking for just yet but I'll definitely be keeping an eye out on the project

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
I'm gonna try moonlight tonight, but any recommendations for 4k hdmi?

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
I'm using a 3080 with a Shield TV Pro (Android TV) and Gigabit Ethernet (DS4 connected via Bluetooth directly to the PC).
Rate set to 150Mbit (max), 4k and 60fps.
edit: with Moonlight.

I can't see and feel a difference between native (HDMI) and stream on my LG OLED.

Steam Link (Android TV) on the other hand had insane input lag, but that was most likely a config error on my end.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
So if I run a 50foot HDMI cable, then whats the best way to get my mouse, keyboard, and controller to go the same distance?

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
Second-best to running HDMI and USB cables is sending HDMI and USB over Ethernet via an HDBase-T adapter.

You'd pay about as much as the Shield TV Pro (or more) for the transmitter/receiver, and most need a point-to-point connection (no passing through a router).
It's a significantly better option than wasting system resources and adding latency by compressing the video down to a comparatively-low bit-rate H.264/HEVC stream though.
Wouldn't a fiber optic HDMI cable be a better and cheaper solution? I'm planning on buying one in the near future since I'd like to connect my PC to a TV and I need a 15m cable. Not sure about latency though, I was more worried about signal loss than latency over such a relatively short distance.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I bought a Steamlink when they were basically getting rid of them. It works okay on Wifi for tactical games or Lego games but no so much for action-oriented or twitch play. Someday I'll drop an HDMI through the wall from my PC to the living room.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't a fiber optic HDMI cable be a better and cheaper solution? I'm planning on buying one in the near future since I'd like to connect my PC to a TV and I need a 15m cable. Not sure about latency though, I was more worried about signal loss than latency over such a relatively short distance.
Yes, a direct HDMI connection is always the best option if you can make that work.
HDMI supports higher bandwidth and the signal is untouched.
The thing is that many places are already pre-wired for Ethernet, or Ethernet can be run easily where HDMI may not. I've also seen those inexpensive fiber HDMI cables fail after a short amount of time.

Though significantly higher quality than streaming, HDBaseT is not 100% lossless (despite what may be claimed) and may have limited bandwidth for things like 4K HDR, 4K120 etc. so it's certainly a compromise.
My point with latency is that streaming devices like the NVIDIA Shield or Steam Link add a frame or two of lag due to the video capture/encoding/decoding they do, which is not present with HDBaseT.
I measured an 0.12ms delay over 30m of Ethernet (not that the length should matter) - which you'll never get with streaming.

The thing to remember is that with a PC you'll also need a USB cable to go along with it.
This can be a single active extension connected to a hub in the room for your peripherals though - or you might find that USB over Ethernet is preferable.
I've found that long USB extensions can be more expensive than sending it over Ethernet cables - and extensions are not always reliable either.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
I've never gotten HDMI to work reliably (or inexpensively) past the 5m barrier. Redmere or not. I'm using SDI for long runs to my capture card, but it of course works just as well the other way. Converters aren't as expensive as HDBase-T, and the coaxial cabling is robust and relatively cheap. Then there's NDI. Being IP-based, it doesn't require a point-to-point connection. The manufacturer claims sub-frame latency and visually lossless compression, but I don't know. The adapters are expensive (however it can be done in software if you have the resources to spare). The downside to both SDI and NDI is that you'd have to figure out the input situation. These are professional broadcast solutions.

Abaddon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm using Gamestream/Moonlight as my solution on an Nvidia Shield as there's no practical way to run a HDMI from my PC to my TV, but even if you are able to get a direct connection rather than running a USB cable or USB over Ethernet, VirtualHere is an alternative practical solution. It runs a server at your TV that acts as a tunnel for USB over your existing network back to a client on your PC. I run the server off my Shield, but I believe it can be run on another PC or a Raspberry Pi instead.

FreezerGeezer

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Thinking of picking up the Shield TV Pro for streaming my PC games to the TV. Am I able to plug in a keyboard and mouse (Via the 2x USB) or use wireless and play my games with the keyboard and mouse? Or horrible lag / other issues?

OP
OP
Necron

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I use the Steam Link to do it, but it's limited to 1080p. I'd like a 4K option, but I'm also spoiled by buying the Steam Link for like fifteen dollars, so recommending a $200 box isn't the attractive option people think it is.
I bought a Steamlink when they were basically getting rid of them. It works okay on Wifi for tactical games or Lego games but no so much for action-oriented or twitch play. Someday I'll drop an HDMI through the wall from my PC to the living room.
Also found a Steam Link box for cheap, luckily. It probably won't be my main source for gaming but it's nice now to have the option to play some PC games from my living room couch.

I decided to use this now instead as it's cheap and very easy to setup/operate. If not for the import tax, it would have been an even better deal.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Also found a Steam Link box for cheap, luckily. It probably won't be my main source for gaming but it's nice now to have the option to play some PC games from my living room couch.

I decided to use this now instead as it's cheap and very easy to setup/operate. If not for the import tax, it would have been an even better deal.
Install moonlight on your Steam Link box (https://github.com/moonlight-stream/moonlight-qt/releases). It will still be limited to 1080p @ 30 Mbps but it performs significantly better than native steam in home streaming.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Does the NVidia Shield support the wireless Xbox adapter?

i've got a wireless adaptor on the way and I'll give this a try this week.

right now I'm using an 8bitdo SN30 Pro Plus, as using an old Xbox one controller over Bluetooth seem to have too much input lag especially sitting further than 5 feet from the Shield.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
If you have an NVidia card then you can use Moonlight on something like an Apple TV. I use that and it's serviceable but I tend to just run a long HDMI cable if I really need it :)

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I was using Bluetooth on the Steam Link, and I heard it was better to use the "real" wireless. I got an extra adapter, but I haven't gotten it working on the Link yet (Bluetooth worked pretty good, so I don't expect it'll be that much different).

I was hoping to use my XSX controller on the Link, but it doesn't support it. Maybe they'll add support through software, maybe they won't. I put my XBO controller back on it and I've got my XSX controller on the PC.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I'm finding Steam Link to be the best solution over Moonlight. The app on Samsung Smart TV has been great. Link Hardware was good enough but is discontinued. A friend has the new Chromecast Google TV thing, and it also works incredibly well. Biggest consideration though is your home network. If that is crap, your experience will be crap too. We upgraded our router to resolve issues we had compared to friends. PC on LAN to the router and then even over wifi the performance is excellent on phone and TV. Getting a Chromecast for an older TV so I can play there also, and got LAN setup up for the important devices so streaming can be as best as possible. Definitely recommended

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Android TVs have access to a native steam link app. I've used it back when it was first released and it worked surprisingly well on my 4 year old 4k tv. which is surprising because that shitty tv stutters even just browsing the menus. Luckily tho Im able to just connect my pc to my tv with a long ass hdmi, which works the best for me.

OP
OP
Necron

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I was hoping to use my XSX controller on the Link, but it doesn't support it. Maybe they'll add support through software, maybe they won't. I put my XBO controller back on it and I've got my XSX controller on the PC.
SteamLink seems to work with an Xbox Series S/X controller together with this PC adapter in one of the USB ports:
49fe6b1c-cc94-4b6d-9612-e92651a37042.jpg

In the settings, it still recognises it as an Xbox One controller, though.
Install moonlight on your Steam Link box (https://github.com/moonlight-stream/moonlight-qt/releases). It will still be limited to 1080p @ 30 Mbps but it performs significantly better than native steam in home streaming.
I'll look into this - thanks! Only tested it with two games so far. Saw the occasional stutter but was alright for the most part...

Last edited:

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
SteamLink seems to work with an Xbox Series S/X controller together with this PC adapter in one of the USB ports:
49fe6b1c-cc94-4b6d-9612-e92651a37042.jpg

In the settings, it still recognises it as an Xbox One controller, though.
Yeah, that was what I tried. It acted like it was paired, but the controller kept blinking like it could never connect to whatever was on the other end. I asked around about it, and someone basically said that the software on the Link just didn't support it. Worked perfectly fine when I put the XBO controller back on it.

Coolade

Oct 27, 2017
you can hook up your laptop to the tv via HDMI cable and just log into your steam account and stream from your gaming PC over your network. If both are wired there is almost 0 lag

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017

I would be 100% interested in this. Do you have any examples? I'd love to run a long HDMI cable from my "office" to the Living Room but it's just not feasible.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I would be 100% interested in this. Do you have any examples? I'd love to run a long HDMI cable from my "office" to the Living Room but it's just not feasible.
I've used HDBaseT "KVM Extender" devices from AV Access - though the prices for some models seem to be quite a bit higher in the US - or maybe they were discounted on Amazon.
www.avaccess.com

KVM Extender

AV Access KVM extenders can transmit 4K@60 4:4:4 UHD HDMI signal up to 100m/330ft via a CAT X cable, along with high-speed USB 2.0 signal. They are ideal for wide applications, like homes, offices, schools, sports bars or other locations which require KVM/USB extension.