• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lueken

Dec 15, 2017
Just got the speedrun to do now. The only speedruns I've done in the past were in the Resident Evil games, and Ico on PS3. Hopefully this should be trouble free.
Did the speed run last night. First run was 2:18, but I jumped right back in and got it. The earlier chapters made me stumble during the first run. Forgot some solutions which went quickly the second attempt.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
If you leave the game the controller turns off and the timer stops. I slept and every 15 min or so had to hit a button. If you pause the game you will see a timer for last checkpoint, I used that as a guide and waiting for it to go past 60 minutes and the trophy popped. Honestly the trophy is lame as hell, should have been 10 minutes of sleeping or something.

See, I left my controller plugged in since it was constantly vibrating and I didn't want the battery to die lol The light never went off so I wasn't aware that if anything stopped. The checkpoint timer said something along the lines of 1 hour 15 mins since the last checkpoint.

Meh. I'll try again some other time, just annoyed that it didn't work. I'll randomly push a button every 10 mins for a couple hours next time I give it a shot.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I still have a bit left of the game before I finish (God I'm enjoying it bit by bit)

The soundtrack really reminds me of some parts of Mort Garson's Plantasia in the best way possible. The vibe and feel of the whole game gives me a wholesome af feel just like this album.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0vrsO3_HpU

Stray's subtitle should be "warm human game for Cats and the People who love them"

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the ending, I didn't have a problem with it personally but one option that maybe addresses some of the complaints while not changing anything too much:

I agree that it would be ridiculous to have the other cats just waiting there, but a simple way to address this would've been to have cat mews that you could hear from a distance, suggesting that they're out there and going about cat business (or maybe even looking for you) but not close by, and then the protagonist trundles off in that direction for an eventual assumed reunion. You can keep the last shot where the frame refocuses on the computer screens in the foreground lighting up to show B12 night still be alive in the network, but the cat's fate is less ambiguous.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck the person who decided to give the contact a newspaper to hide behind. I've been looking forever for him.

saforia

Apr 19, 2019
UK
The Can't Cat-ch Me trophy is soo frustrating, I think I'm my 20th try and it feels like I'm making no progress.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Just wrapped this up and I am surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Nothing too deep about this game, but everything fits together really well. Love the art direction and visual design.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Only complaint I really have after just finishing is I want more. Loved the atmosphere, being a cat was fun because you do cat things, but also the way it opened up traversal verticality. Would love a full sequel where you go around the post apocalyptic outside and visit the other 98 walled cities. So much potential for a bigger experience with bigger map, more characters, more side quests etc. seems like it was very successful so let's hope,

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
Finally finished and I gotta say I really adored this game. Such a chill little journey through a charming and constantly stunning world. Some of the best music I've heard in a game in a while as well.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
My cat has been standing with his paws staring at the screen for a long time now and meowing every time the ingame cats meow. Wife is worried about our cat being stressed. Is this something that could be stressful for him? I dont want to stress our own cat out over a game.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My cat has been standing with his paws staring at the screen for a long time now and meowing every time the ingame cats meow. Wife is worried about our cat being stressed. Is this something that could be stressful for him? I dont want to stress our own cat out over a game.
I am not a cat expert, but you can usually tell if they're stressed through their body language (if their tail is a low, wagging position, ears back, etc). Meowing is a pretty normal form of communication for them and it can mean many things!

Oct 27, 2017
Stray uses the unreal engine. Personally the game looks good but not mind blowing. I think the cats fur is a bit meh. But I guess proper fur graphics are still some way off.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
This game looks so good that some of the jankiness with the npc animations, lack of reflections, etc. kind of bothers me. I try not to hold it against it because it's an indie joint, but when games are technically impressive I find the flaws stand out more. Also it bugs me that the robots don't clang more or have foot steps lol

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Finished the game yesterday, very good. It doesn't overstay its welcome, the art direction is fantastic, there's enough variety despite the limited gameplay options and the pre-defined jumping actually feels very good (was initially worried it would feel too on-rails).

But this Can't Cat-ch Me trophy can burn in hell, I've made absolutely no progress with it :(

EDIT: and of course, trying again today I manage to get it on the second try. TYPICAL.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
This game looks so good that some of the jankiness with the npc animations, lack of reflections, etc. kind of bothers me. I try not to hold it against it because it's an indie joint, but when games are technically impressive I find the flaws stand out more. Also it bugs me that the robots don't clang more or have foot steps lol
The physics are the most unfortunate for me. There's just zero weight to anything. The book stacks show it the best with the way they keep jiggling around. Or how barely touching something can launch it at mach 10.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
Just finished, what a pleasant and original experience.

The art and care in world design is what makes it shine. It looks great without being a tech power house (still advanced enough though).

The story left me with some humidity in my eyes ('tis but some dust under the lid, promiss) and with a bittersweet mood.

We need more games like this, it has persona.

Oct 27, 2017
Rift Apart don't count?
Erm dunno never heard of it, had to google it and you mean the Ratchet and Clank thing (mainly a PC gamer here so never played console games). i checked out a few vids of it and whilst the fur looks better than stray I would still say it looks a bit "painted on" rather than actual fur like look. Plus it is possible for developers to take certain liberties with a game that uses a cartoon character rather than an actual real cat.

I don't want people to think I am ragging on Stray, I am not I love the game and graphically it does look good but there is nothing "wow" about the graphics.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Finished the other day. Thought it was fantastic for what it was; a gorgeous, moody, simple little game that doesn't outstay its welcome. Love the tone and feel of the game, and the elegance of how it plays. I do think it's on the fringe of being something a bit richer, and because of that it feels like it ends way too soon. But in the same breath it's really just the right length.

Yann Van Der Cruyssen's soundtrack is fucking incredible, by the way. The audio production here is really, really, really good.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
It took me two hours to do the Can't Cat-ch Me trophy, and then I did it perfectly in one to during the speedrun trophy. Figures.

Oct 27, 2017
The game is currently sitting at number one on the Steam global sales charts. It's been almost 2 weeks now since release. Expect this game to easily sell over a million units.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting out-of-bounds discovery someone found on Reddit:

During the ending sequence the game actually loads the cat crew from the intro in an out of bounds area. Seams like they originally planned for the player to reunite with them at the end, but decided to go with a more open-ended ending late in development?
I was hoping for that tbh. Give us a little more hope.

Anyways, the story was great, visuals great, world was interesting enough --- but I still felt like the game could have been more. Didnt really feel like puzzles were interesting enough, but glad it was free.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since it went unanswered in the review thread, I'll ask here. Is the PS4 version worth it? I'm talking base PS4

Oct 27, 2017
Its hilarous 😂. Every time i play that game, my cat look at the screen like he was watching a tv show hehe.
Props to the animators and cat riggers I guess. Even the cat's eye effect as you pan the camera is so realistic.

And my cat has never reacted to the numerous amounts of cat vids I have played on my tv over the last several years. It's crazy.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
This took 7 years to develop so I'm certainly not expecting anything soon to cash-in on the hype or anything.
Now that they have a team, a workflow and (I imagine) a healthy wallet, a new game would come much quicker.
Not expecting anything anytime soon either but it's certainly not 5+ years away, in my opinion.

Personally I LOVED the game, way more than I had imagined. It oozes mood, the world and the vibe are perfect. It's not a hard game and it shouldn't be, it's just right as it is, it's an adventure that flows well. Plus the soundtrack (and sound-design) are 10/10, huge props to Yann van der Cruyssen for that.

I would be down for more Stray, especially because I want to see more from this world, but whatever they decide to do next I'll be there.

Boomstick75

Banned
May 7, 2021
Yeah this game was not what I was expecting, but I mean that in a positive way. It's much deeper than I was expecting, and the mood is top notch. The end was just more abrupt than I would have liked it to be.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
FZUy1YLaAAUGKLU

yourcatbackpack.com

Stray x Travel Cat Harness & Leash Set - Limited Edition

This "Stray x Travel Cat" Harness & Leash Set - Limited Edition is inspired by STRAY, a new video game by Annapurna Interactive.

FellowTarnished

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
I'm having one of my "bad days" today and I'm feeling super depressed, so I figured it was time to start Stray and it's exactly what I needed! I'm 2 hours in so far, and I'm already feeling more relaxed, it's such a cute, fun game, and it's completely different to what I'd normally play. It's so simple in concept but it's executed very well, my only gripe is I'm getting the dreaded asset loading stutter, but it's nowhere near as bad as some other titles of late, so it's not hurting the experience. I did just die though, which I didn't even know was possible, poor kitty :(

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I agree with whoever said that this game was a diagonal line pointing down.

The beginning was great but then it just got worse and worse as it became more of a stealth/action game.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
What engine is this game using? It's silly how no one's talking about how incredible this game looks.
It's incredible how good the lighting is. The dense environments are a treat also. I think it's one of the best looking games I've ever played. Im playing on a 77 inch OLED with surround sound so it's incredibly immersive.