• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah thanks! kind of crazy that for just 5 euros i can play Miles, Tsushima and Stray and i guess a whole list of other games for 50 days. how can i not pay up..? i was skeptical because i thought there had to be a catch..
That's the power of the GamePass/rental model. It works due to economy of scale, and for you on an individual basis that usually means insane value.

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Finished it with all memories collected. I really loved the ambiance of the environments and the characters. Some of the environments did kind of reminded me of a Half-Life world.

Not sure if to pursue all the achievements since I'm close to 100%. I usually don't care about that stuff, but it might turn out like a fun adventure.

Oct 27, 2017
I really appreciated that this game didn't overstay it's welcome.

In an age of videogames where it seems like every developer is trying to artificially pad the length of their games with boring missions and fetch quests, this game was really refreshing to play. It gives the player the agency to stop and take in the world and do some side-quests or move on to the main story that's appropriately paced.

I appreciated that and that there was no "cat sense" mode

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Anyone else getting motion sickness with this game? Normally I have no problems with third person games but this game make me feel really, really queasy arter a few minutes. Even activating the recticle did not help.

I will have to play this in short bursts, thankfully it is only a few hours long.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else getting motion sickness with this game? Normally I have no problems with third person games but this game make me feel really, really queasy arter a few minutes. Even activating the recticle did not help.

I will have to play this in short bursts, thankfully it is only a few hours long.
Maybe tone down the Motion Blur?

Oct 28, 2017
I dunno, this game has really outworn its welcome now. Should have ended a long time ago. Wish the game really was only a couple hours long like people said.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Was I the only one that teared up at the end? Also, it was sad that you never got to reunite with your kitty friends.

My wife and I were literally begging for there to be a post-credits sequence where you find your family on the "outside". After reflecting on it, it does make sense to leave an element of melancholy open ended-ness given the heavy revelations near the end.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game & while it definitely would have been my GOTY in 2012, in 2022 its just okay. Didnt regret playing it but its little too rigid in a way that feels dated in a 360-era kinda way & I think theres a lack of imagination in the playing as a cat aspect. For long stretches (particularly in the backhalf) you're interchangeable with any other third person protagonist except small. Loved doing stuff like using the meow to lure Zurks away from where you need to go, loathed the third person shooter sequence in the sewer.

Once you meet B-12 they basically become the plot's protagonist but the game wants to keep acting like its the cat leading to imo weird gamey disconnects. For example, I wouldve been fine accepting B12 was the one going through its inventory menus instead of the bizarre implication its the cat doing it. Its fun to knock over a painting to find the 4 digit code you need but it begs the question why a cat is finding keycodes at all. I will be the first to admit I'm being nitpicky but it routinely stood out to me & contributed to me feeling like less of a cat & more of a lil man, just a small kinda guy, as the game went on.

Also (ending spoilers) as someone who cared about reuniting with the other cats but didnt really care about the companions & b12, the ending was really hollow for me. I was hoping the game would be one long side story in the cats journey to reunite with its friends instead of that aspect being completely dropped.

I agree with your take 100%. I loved playing as a cat but couldn't care less about the drone. It would have been great if they found a way to tell the story from the eyes of a cat through various non-verbal interactions with the companions, rather than having a sentient drone tell it to me. I loved the cat parts but the drone ruined what could have been a much better game. A missed opportunity though it was, I still appreciated exploring the world and the cat animations and controls were top notch. Also, they should have had the cat sniff at everything first. And what kind of cat just nonchalantly wades through puddles like that?

Jun 24, 2019
That cutscene in the beginning :'(

giphy.gif

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Just completed the game. It wasn't exactly the wild rollercoaster of emotions that The Last Guardian was, but
I did choke up a little when B-12 bid farewell before 'dying'. And then the kitty slept next to it. That tugged on the heartstrings a bit. Even the act of leaving my little drone friend motionless on the floor in order to get up to the surface was rough for me.
Overall, I really enjoyed Stray. Not quite masterpiece-tier, but almost there.

Just one question:
did we get any closure on what happened to Momo in the end? I tried looking out for it during the ending, but I don't think I saw it anywhere.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Just one question:
did we get any closure on what happened to Momo in the end? I tried looking out for it during the ending, but I don't think I saw it anywhere.
That's been on my mind too.
if I remember correctly the game purposefully shows you as you enter that area that there's at least 2 zurks in close proximity to momo, the implication is obviously that they will attack. Unclear if we're to assume they didn't survive though…

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Just one question:
Wasn't Momo one of the ones at the end looking up from his porch?

I do want to play through it again, I just don't know if I want to do it just yet.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
Just completed the game. It wasn't exactly the wild rollercoaster of emotions that The Last Guardian was, but
I did choke up a little when B-12 bid farewell before 'dying'. And then the kitty slept next to it. That tugged on the heartstrings a bit. Even the act of leaving my little drone friend motionless on the floor in order to get up to the surface was rough for me.
Overall, I really enjoyed Stray. Not quite masterpiece-tier, but almost there.

Just one question:

During the cutscene with the roof opening, we see Momo on the ledge outside their house.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kind of glad they don't have customization, actually. I'm not sure I'd want to see my kitty going through some of the rougher parts of the game.

Aside from that, though, I do agree with the devs on this.. this is the story of one particular cat, and he happens to be an orange tabby.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got the platinum. I'm certain that catch me trophy is based on luck. My palms were sweaty.

Holmes

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
ah yes, I'd forgotten about that bit. Just checked out a video and pretty convinced that is Momo during the end sequence video. Guess they got out of the sewers fine.
Yeah, no one who helped you in the game dies or is hurt. Momo acts like opening the sewer gate is a sacrifice but it's like.... just paddle back to the slums, babe.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
Seems like I am not the only one with major motion sickness problems in this game:

FOV options should be mandatory in any game, even if performance needs to be sacrificed.
i played with motion blur off at first and felt it.
had to turn on motion blur to leviate a bit of thw motion sickness feeling.
the game fov is way too zoomed in

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
I just finished this game. I wouldn't mind BlueTwelve Studio giving us a sequel or short DLC, I loved every second of this.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I didn't pick up a vital memory or something, but there was a Companion that said something about "Electric Zurks". I expected I would face these inevitably but there was no such thing. Did I just not explore some area where I would find these or did they just not exist or what?

I believe this is actually a reference to Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, if you recall the context in which "electric zurks" are mentioned. As far as I can tell there are no actual electric zurks in the game.

Yeah, no one who helped you in the game dies or is hurt. Momo acts like opening the sewer gate is a sacrifice but it's like.... just paddle back to the slums, babe.

It's kind of a sacrifice because it's Momo giving up on the journey to see their friends again, at least in the short-term. The idea that it might still be possible to make it to the Outside was clearly the spark Momo needed, so giving up on it again was kind of a big deal. That was how I interpreted the scene originally, it didn't really seem like Momo was going to die. Clementine definitely felt more like a real sacrifice, though.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The Trophy "Can't Cat-ch Me" is kicking my ass.. I am at the point of constantly zig-zagging through the aree to evade the Zurks but the little fuckers keep getting me. This one seems overly tricky, especially since the later stealthy and pacifist ones were much easier! :D

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
Seems like I am not the only one with major motion sickness problems in this game:

FOV options should be mandatory in any game, even if performance needs to be sacrificed.
I was getting nauseous at first. But was totally fine after turning off motion blur. The only other time turning off motion blur helped me so much with motion sickness is when I turned it off on Marvel's Avengers.

Stray is such a great game. It took me over ten hours to finish because I just wanted to explore.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
The Trophy "Can't Cat-ch Me" is kicking my ass.. I am at the point of constantly zig-zagging through the aree to evade the Zurks but the little fuckers keep getting me. This one seems overly tricky, especially since the later stealthy and pacifist ones were much easier! :D

This took me a good hour last night lol there is a lot of luck involved but there are some patterns. The one that always got me was where the path splits and you have to choose between the right or left doorway. The Zurks just flood the screen and I 100% believe that one is pure luck based 😭

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Might be one of the most stressless and relaxing games I played, just a visual feast from beginning to end. And also what an OLED showcase

Nov 19, 2017
Just finished, really enjoyed it. Glad it didn't overstay it's welcome although
the sewers
was almost getting there. Surprised I missed a few of the memories, felt like I went everywhere.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
Surprised by the Steam reviews so I picked it up.
I played for about an hour and while it's very cute, I don't think it's very compelling as a video game.
I won't be finishing it, but I'm glad people are enjoying it.

Holmes

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of a sacrifice because it's Momo giving up on the journey to see their friends again, at least in the short-term. The idea that it might still be possible to make it to the Outside was clearly the spark Momo needed, so giving up on it again was kind of a big deal. That was how I interpreted the scene originally, it didn't really seem like Momo was going to die. Clementine definitely felt more like a real sacrifice, though.
Oh, that's an interesting take! Although Momo articulates that really dramatically, lol.