• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
Midtown looks absolutely breathtaking. I had to stop just to absorb all the details. Spoilers: So the robots in the lower levels are humans right? They uploaded their minds like the B-12. I mean it explains they have human like behavior. A stark difference to the bots in the control room which seem lifeless. The game also implies whatever ecological disaster that impacted earth, which forced the people to live in this prison have recovered. Glimpses of the outside indicate a luscious greenery. And off course the kitty.
the game implies that the robots evolved after mimicking human behaviour, eventually developing their own language and customs, but not necessarily being humans themselves. we're several hundred years removed from when humans and robots coexisted, and with the existence of 'younger' robots that mention they've been around for less time calling others their parents or elders, it's suggested that these robots have been created by robots and would have never been around to interact with humans in the first place. none of them are able to recall an outside world, and the small group that want to escape are only able to imagine an idyllic image borne from old postcards - unlike B-12, who, with the more memories that they interact with, are able to recollect their actual memories as a human. it makes sense that the ones in the control room, whom had very little contact with humans over the years compared to those who had lived with them in the city, remain basic helpers, untouched for centuries.
Thank you, that's great :)
a bit of a warning, there are some slight horror elements in parts of the game that the other posters didn't mention. at one point you end up exploring a heavily infested part of the sewers and there's some creepy eye stuff. it's nothing gory or anything, and it's a fairly short-lived section, but it's worth a heads up.
How suitable is this for kids aged 8+ playing/watching? Opening seems calm enough, but I don't want to open a horror can of worms if it drifts off into decay.
^

Last edited:

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
How suitable is this for kids aged 8+ playing/watching? Opening seems calm enough, but I don't want to open a horror can of worms if it drifts off into decay.

Darkkahn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FYG8X5paQAExk5r
Oh my god! They look like dolls!

VeuillezPLP

Oct 28, 2017
France

It's fine since you know quite fast that the cat is okish and that it's just the beginning of a fantastic trip.
The rest of the game is also suitable but they might need some help here and there depending on their puzzle solving abilities.

SuperOctopus

Apr 22, 2020
I find this game very relaxing I dunno how to describe it like a dream of some sort lol it's a great game something abit different. graphics and world are stunning too
I agree with you, I have played about 2/3h and it feels relaxing to play. The world is atmospheric and stunning. While the platforming could have a tiny more bit more depth, there is no stress at all controlling the cat as he cannot fall and die from that. I'm definitely enjoying my time with it and I'll see what the second half has in stores for me.

Oct 25, 2017
This is a slight spoiler about the very beginning of the game. The cat takes a big fall and limps a bit before falling over, but then gets back up and is running just like before the fall. If you feel that would be okay, then you should be good to go with the game on that front. As far as difficulty goes, if she can handle Astro and Mario, then this is a cakewalk by comparison. It's very much meant to be something anyone can pick up and enjoy regardless of their age.

Cool, that sounds like it should be fine. Thanks.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
the game implies that the robots evolved after mimicking human behaviour, eventually developing their own language and customs, but not necessarily being humans themselves. we're several hundred years removed from when humans and robots coexisted, and with the existence of 'younger' robots that mention they've been around for less time calling others their parents or elders, it's suggested that these robots have been created by robots and would have never been around to interact with humans in the first place. none of them are able to recall an outside world, and the small group that want to escape are only able to imagine an idyllic image borne from old postcards - unlike B-12, who, with the more memories that they interact with, are able to recollect their actual memories as a human. it makes sense that the ones in the control room, whom had very little contact with humans over the years compared to those who had lived with them in the city, remain basic helpers, untouched for centuries.

a bit of a warning, there are some slight horror elements in parts of the game that the other posters didn't mention. at one point you end up exploring a heavily infested part of the sewers and there's some creepy eye stuff. it's nothing gory or anything, and it's a fairly short-lived section, but it's worth a heads up.

^

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind for when she's playing.

So far the game is cool. It's great as theres far more to explore than I thought there would be, and they've definitely got some cat traits nailed (knocking things over etc). Gotta love the noises through the Dual Sense too :)

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
How come these types of games always have very cheap looking menus? Is that because they are priced cheaper and thus can skimp out on such aspects? The game itself is lovely, but I can't get over the interface which looks like it was quickly slapped together in unity on the last day...
It's pretty much the stock UE4 menu

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't have any stutter on PC thankfully (one puzzle room lagged for some reason though). Someone gifted the game to me and I beat it in 3 sittings. Its fairly short but adorable. Can't say i've played anything else quite like it.

SoloTerran

Jun 29, 2018
I've been playing this after work for an hour or two the last 3 days and I feel like I'm still not that close to the end. This game is actually great, I find myself interested in the story and unravelling the mystery of what's going on. The graphics and music are fantastic and playing as a cat is such an interesting and different mechanic. The creativity here is awesome.

The fact that this was a free day 1 release on PS+ Extra is huge.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it. Really enjoyed it. Took my about 5 hours according to the stats. Felt perfect. Kinda played it like a linear game. Didnt that much exploring. Didnt really feel like doing that.
Nice visuals overall, fun puzzles wich never are to hard or frustrating. Very cool music also. The story was intresting also. Not all needs to be explained.
Said it earlier in the thread. The games has the same kind of atmosphere like Inside had for me.

8/10

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Just finished it. Very solid game if perhaps not as ambitious as I was hoping for. Atmosphere is great, platforming is kinda meh and the game kinda falls off after the Midtown section. Didn't care for the stealth parts. Controlling the cat feels great though and the world has a lot of personality.

Wish it had a more robust hint system though - a few times I spent way too long trying to find something because I overthought the puzzle/task. Also the game really over-assumes how well you're going to remember the names of the robots and where they are. I had to look up a guide a few times because I was just going round in circles.

7.5/10. Really enjoyable overall but falls short of great for me.

Also whoever assigned different buttons for skip dialogue/end dialogue needs to go to jail.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
It has been said, but probably not enough: This game's soundtrack is fucking amazing. Like really really really good.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it, and gone back to a couple of chapters to mop up a few collectibles.

Loved it, and so did my cat – also a ginger.

It's one of the most atmospheric games I've played in ages. I loved how it's basically Half-Life 2 with a cat.

topplehat

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
Really great game, just finished it. Loved the length, visuals, story, music, all of it. I don't really want them to make a direct sequel or anything but I do wonder what a dog version of this game would be like!

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Does this game have save slots on PC? My partner wants to play their own save but I just realised that it might be difficult on Steam.

edit: Never mind! Just started the game to check, and there are three save solts on PC.

Last edited:

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Platinum got. 5 hours first play through. Then a 1 hour 35 speedrun.

Great game. Great length. No skipping cutscenes the only downfall for said speedrun.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Really great game, just finished it. Loved the length, visuals, story, music, all of it. I don't really want them to make a direct sequel or anything but I do wonder what a dog version of this game would be like!

I want a Shiba Inu game where the controller just frequently stops responding because the dog is ignoring you. There'd be a dedicated "feed cheese" button to bribe the dog to listen again.

Jan 4, 2018
Thought this was a really lovely game. Like, not the most incredible thing ever, but the combination of visuals, tone, music, lore, characters, puzzles, exploration, and even length all come together in a really fantastic way. Not everything needs to be super hardcore on mechanics, and Stray is a great example of that in my opinion.

Kinda hope they add other fur colors and patterns in the future.

twistedbasis

Jan 10, 2018
Finished it up last night and enjoyed my time with it. It was cathartic for me as... well 2020 was a bad year :(

I do feel like it could have doubled-down emotionally during some story beats though. Perhaps it was my state of mind but there were a few times where I thought, hoped even, the game would really drive home some extra sadness. Maybe I haven't let go just yet.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
Judging by the random person who brought Stray up to me randomly at work today, it's going to sell 5M copies by the end of the year.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Just finished it, and gone back to a couple of chapters to mop up a few collectibles.

Loved it, and so did my cat – also a ginger.

It's one of the most atmospheric games I've played in ages. I loved how it's basically Half-Life 2 with a cat.

No idea if it's just me but I got major 'Route Kanal' vibes with that bit on the boat (but perhaps I do that with every game with a boat in sewers).

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
The designers or artists whoever made this game needs to do a silent hill game. A lot of moments in the game just ooozes silent hill atmosphere all over

Fucking amazing

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
lSo did the humans get wiped out by 'the plague' or the Zerk? Or both? Topsiders plague/slum dwellers Zerk…? OR the plague killed everybody around the world and Zerk got the remaining survivors under the lid?

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Is the PC version as rough as people have been saying?
No, not at all. Most of the people I've seen complaining about it are doing so based on hearing about it in reviews and DF's video. Those of us actually playing it on PC find it barely noticeable.

It's absolutely NOT the same sort of problems we've seen in other games like Elden Ring.

ced

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny I keep seeing the comparisons to Inside and I totally agree, but I see some have mentioned HL2 and that's another one I really got the feelings of, something about it had City 17 vibes in an awesome way.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
lSo did the humans get wiped out by 'the plague' or the Zerk? Or both? Topsiders plague/slum dwellers Zerk…? OR the plague killed everybody around the world and Zerk got the remaining survivors under the lid?

I believe the zurks *were* the plague.

What I don't understand is how they got so big a threat when apparently sunlight kills them.