• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Some early dev of the game:

hkgraphtest123.gif

int_hallway_0000_2.gif

Ikg6OSf.gif
Gorgeous.

It's times like this I wish console rentals were a thing.
They used to be back when Blockbuster was a thing.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
There's quite a lot of games where you play a cat, from ancient pre-NES Garfield games, to like a thousand indie games that exploit Internet's fondness of felines. Some are actually pretty good, like Cat Quest. Even narrowing it down to "regular" cats, you have games like Tokyo Jungle and Catlateral Damage.

it is, possibly, the first high-budget game where you mainly play as a regular cat, but don't quote me on that.
I'm both incredibly impressed and slightly concerned about your ability to relate the entire history of cat games off hand on Era.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
These gifs make the game look offline renderered.

Seeing things like this makes me much more confident in getting that offline rendered look in nextgen games.

A true graphical showcase.
Very impressive materials, I wonder how/why this is Playstation exclusive....doesnt seem to be doing anything that requires the PS5 SSD and its coming to PC so im gonna assume it was a paydeal.
The artist behind the game is Koola, whose photoreal Unreal Engine 4 videos blew up on twitter and youtube a few years back. Guy's a wizard. Here are some of his early experiments in UE4-

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
I thought the cat was going to climb higher and higher, then parachute off a tower or building.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I would love to play something like this right now. The kitty sitting at the bar with his backpack on...
7qXK.gif

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know anything about the actual game cause lordy its beautiful

Stray is a third-person cat adventure game set amidst the detailed neon-lit alleys of a decaying cybercity and the murky environments of its seedy underbelly. Roam surroundings high and low, defend against unforeseen threats and solve the mysteries of this unwelcoming place inhabited by nothing but unassuming droids and dangerous creatures.

See the world through the eyes of a stray and interact with the environment in playful ways. Be stealthy, nimble, silly, and sometimes as annoying as possible with the strange inhabitants of this foreign world.

Along the way, the cat befriends a small flying drone, known only as B12. With the help of this newfound companion, the duo try to find a way out.

Stray is developed by BlueTwelve Studio, a small team from south of France mostly made of cats and a handful of humans.
stray.game

Stray

Lost, alone, and separated from family, a stray cat must untangle an ancient mystery to escape a long-forgotten cybercity and find their way home.

Oct 27, 2017
Some early dev of the game:

hkgraphtest123.gif

int_hallway_0000_2.gif

Ikg6OSf.gif
Wow I had seen pictures but in movement this game is unbelievable. Scale aside, I actually think this is the best looking real time gameplay we've seen so far. Would this be the first time ever an indie game is setting the benchmark for next gen graphics? Amazing how a small team can create something that surpasses AAA projects. This is a very good sign for next gen.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
stray.game

Stray

Lost, alone, and separated from family, a stray cat must untangle an ancient mystery to escape a long-forgotten cybercity and find their way home.

I'm so, so in for this. Was the highlight of the show for me.

Such a no-brainer idea since cats defy the nature of gravity with its aerobatic antics. Perfect for a video game world. I'll bet the inspiration comes from docs like KEDI.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Wow I had seen pictures but in movement this game is unbelievable. Scale aside, I actually think this is the best looking real time gameplay we've seen so far. Would this be the first time ever an indie game is setting the benchmark for next gen graphics? Amazing how a small team can create something that surpasses AAA projects. This is a very good sign for next gen.

I might agree with this. I guess Ratchet is the only thing that competes so far. Stray is gorgeous. I'm so in for next gen cats in backpacks.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
BTW, the two main members of this studio are ex-artists from Ubisoft Montpellier (the studio behind Rayman and Beyond Good and Evil) and they are currently hiring for level design, level artist and programming positions.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Seeing things like this makes me much more confident in getting that offline rendered look in nextgen games.
Ray Tracing change everything. It is still ealry for the tech, but yeah, that's really already impressive.
stray.game

Stray

Be stealthy, nimble, silly, and sometimes as annoying as possible with the strange inhabitants of this foreign world.
Honk honk.
Along the way, the cat befriends a small flying drone, known only as B12. With the help of this newfound companion, the duo try to find a way out.
This is real life Ratchet and Clank :D

Thanks for the gameplay sharing. I didn't knew how to take the trailer (that could have been anything). But some part of it are clearly gameplay with a debug camera. That's really impressive art and tech. Sad it is 2021.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not really a fan of cats, but this game looks amazing and isn't out to kill me , so can't hurt to try it atleast.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some told us that this game cant run on a ps4. But is released on ps4 as well...
I'm looking forward to the first VS screens.

That said, game look nice art direction (not nextgen imo) looking forward too it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Stray gameplay (feat raytrancing)
49996329857_a6a18b57de_k.jpg

49996329737_ac14eeb1f5_k.jpg

49995557468_a8f8c9b225_k.jpg

49996076396_af818dc790_k.jpg

49996076326_414cded7c9_k.jpg

Just WOW !!

OH MY GOD. This is gorgeous. Seriously thought that a few of these were painted/concept art.

Some told us that this game cant run on a ps4. But is released on ps4 as well...
I'm looking forward to the first VS screens.

That said, game look nice art direction (not nextgen imo) looking forward too it.

It bodes really well for the next year or so if cross-gen games are looking like this. Kena and Stray both look like legit next gen exclusives. It's amazing that they're both able to downscale to PS4 hardware too.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Day one. Love cats and love robots.

This looks so good in motion too. Wow.

This would convince be to get a PS5 day one of it were a launch title haha.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I might agree with this. I guess Ratchet is the only thing that competes so far. Stray is gorgeous. I'm so in for next gen cats in backpacks.
You both did not see Horizon 2? Because that blew everything else out of the water.

I like the gameplay clips of Stray, but kind of wished for a lower and closer camera position, so it would feel more like you are the cat instead controlling a remote control cat

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
You both did not see Horizon 2? Because that blew everything else out of the water.

I like the gameplay clips of Stray, but kind of wished for a lower and closer camera position, so it would feel more like you are the cat instead controlling a remote control cat

I think the Horizon trailer was gorgeous but I wouldn't consider it raw gameplay like we saw with Ratchet and with this new Stray footage. I'm sure it'll be a looker when we see what it looks like being played.