• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Not sure if I'm willing to dive back in after Season 2.
Yeah that shit was pretty rough. I'm hopeful this will be better though as the whole gang should be together and not all broken apart like S2 was with it's terrible sideplots.

Just give us some good ol' 80s kids caper stuff like Goonies/scooby doo/paper girls type shit with the kids investigating stuff and getting into trouble and not these really drawn out and disjointed plot lines with everyone all over the place.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Should be the last season. As these kids grow up, the shine will wear off. Kids focused shows always risk falling off because they grow up and are not seen through same lens as when they were kids and the stories being presented through their lens. Harry Potter being the exception.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Should be the last season. As these kids grow up, the shine will wear off. Kids focused shows always risk falling off because they grow up and are not seen through same lens as when they were kids and the stories being presented through their lens. Harry Potter being the exception.
One of their main goals with this series as a whole was to follow the cast through their lives as they grew. IIRC they were originally going to wait longer between seasons to let the kids age more.

It was gonna be like IT, with each chapter having them deal with this recurring horror at different stages of their lives, I think.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
They're already signed on for season 4 with the possibility of season 5, but the Duffer brothers have said it will have an end.

jmood88

Oct 28, 2017
Looking forward to it, but i still wish they had gone for an anthology format with 'independent' seasons rather than reusing the same location and characters.
The anthology thing didn't make sense when people randomly decided that that should be the case at the end of season 1, and it still doesn't make sense now. The big draw for the vast majority of people were the characters.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Season 2 wasn't terrible and was filled with some of the best moments in the entire series. I think for the most part, the larger character moments hit the notes they need to. I feel like the general consensus around the season would have been much better without that one godawful Xmen pilot episode. The tone, writing and general pace of that episode deflated the tension built up at that point.

The directors seem to have learned their lesson though, they never seemed fully behind that one episode in the second season. As much as they say otherwise, I genuinely believe that it was an attempt by the studio to create fodder for a spinoff.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Second season was unnecessary and while I enjoyed it, I think it taints the original season. Should have been an anthology, each season a new story.
Is anyone scared of the cg monsters in this show? It's also laying on the 80s references pretty thick in a time when that stuff is over done.

The show is set in the 80s though.

What a strange complaint.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
The anthology thing didn't make sense when people randomly decided that that should be the case at the end of season 1, and it still doesn't make sense now. The big draw for the vast majority of people were the characters.

Seriously. Also I feel like people under estimate how hard it can be to do an anthology series. Do you get new actors or keep reusing the same ones? Now you need to also think of an entirely new setting with potentially different rules.

The show is set in the 80s though.

What a strange complaint.

Some people for some reason think that series set in specific time periods should not reference the time period they're in.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Seriously. Also I feel like people under estimate how hard it can be to do an anthology series. Do you get new actors or keep reusing the same ones? Now you need to also think of an entirely new setting with potentially different rules.

Some people for some reason think that series set in specific time periods should not reference the time period they're in.

I want to see these kids playing some Mario Kart 8 Deluxe while listening to some music by Drake.

In 1986 of course.

Edit - Seems I went too far. It's 1984 in season 2.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Certainly are some interesting opinions in this thread. Some of you take your shows way to seriously.

I loved both seasons, can't wait for season 3.

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't a fan of the second season so I'm not too sure I'll watch it. The show would have worked much better as one tight miniseries rather than something which seems like it's dragged on just out of commercial interests rather than a show where the story warrants multiple seasons.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't a fan of the second season so I'm not too sure I'll watch it. The show would have worked much better as one tight miniseries rather than something which seems like it's dragged on just out of commercial interests rather than a show where the story warrants multiple seasons.

I mean they said they wanted to do multiple seasons from day negative. So saying they're dragging it out for commercial interests seems to imply they knew it would be a massive success before it aired.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean they said they wanted to do multiple seasons from day negative. So saying they're dragging it out for commercial interests seems to imply they knew it would be a massive success before it aired.
I didn't say at all that subsequent seasons of the show were factually solely created for subsequent seasons, I said it seems that way because the story they're telling has never seemed to be one which warranted more than a single season, and the second season just reaffirmed this belief. Whether the show had been planned as one which would go on for ten/twenty seasons or not, it doesn't come across in the storytelling as a show which warrants that.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy time to watch Steve again

latest

NFinity

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know where the July release mentioned in this thread came from? I googled "Stranger Things season 3 release date" & can't find a single source that has a release date, beyond saying 2019. Besides, wouldn't July have been mentioned in this teaser?

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
J
I don't know where the July release mentioned in this thread came from? I googled "Stranger Things season 3 release date" & can't find a single source that has a release date, beyond saying 2019. Besides, wouldn't July have been mentioned in this teaser?

Just common sense guesswork based upon S1's launch. Also, they just wrapped so theres months of post production ahead.

July is a safe bet.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017

Obviously this is fine, it's part of the appeal, but it borders on gluttony.

Atari: Check
DnD: Check
Arcade with Dragon's Lair: Check
Ghost Busters: Check
George Bush: Check
etc

It's not so bad if they keep it under control, but season two was more indulgent in general. I hope they don't get too wacky with season 3 when mining for more references and 80s movie tropes.