• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought S4 would have a bigger time jump than it did, based on initial reports. S5 time jump was inevitable. They've been filming S4 for 3 years.

That's actually not true. While there were numerous delays, COVID etc, aside from filming for 2 weeks in early 2020 before the pandemic hit, the entirety of S4 was filmed over a one year period between September 2020 and September 2021.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also mad kudos to them for reusing the "She'll Kill You" score from S1 during the scene where Eleven
regains her powers and sends 001 through the gate
. Love it when musical callbacks like that land.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Episode 2 Spoilers

Ok I'm sorry Mike & Will but where the fuck is your courage for your friend? Eleven has been ride or die with you from the beginning, taking out both human and otherworldly foes without hesitation and you can't rip that record off the table? You can't knock the camera out of that dude's hands? You can't shove one of the dudes or take Eleven's side to help her leave? Like these two guys just sit there as she gets tormented like "oh noooo this is bad oh noooo what do we do?" Get in there and take an ass beating for a friend. Eleven almost died killing a Demogorgon for you and you can't knock a camera out of some goon's hands? Shameful.
I mean lets be real here
its clear they have absolutely NO idea what to do with Mike. My poor boy Finn

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the first seven episodes and boy, season is FIRE. Can't wait for the second part.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I mean lets be real here
its clear they have absolutely NO idea what to do with Mike. My poor boy Finn

I think the problem with Mike as a character is that for the most part, his main character traits were "leader", "dungeon mastre" and eventually "Eleven's boyfriend". He's not got a lot going for him outside of those core facets - especially now that Eddie snagged the Dungeon Master role from him in high school - so when all of those elements are no longer at the forefront of his personal arc, he just kinda freezes in place.

Lucas had a similar problem in the early seasons - he was effectively the "fourth kid" and a comic relief character, so they spent a lot of time widening his character after season 1 by adding his interactions with Max, and then this season his desire to be popular and his time on the basketball team.

I'm not really sure what they can do to resolve it from a writing perspective, outside of him finally finding some personal core to his identity that isn't 100% centered around his relationship to other people.

blazenumb1

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Finished earlier this week, great season. I'm catching up on the last few pages of comments and I wonder who will die. The cast in the show is great, but I feel like there were too many storylines early in the season(which also seem to result in some characters not acting like themselves, especially Mike with El). I don't want to see anyone go especially Steve but the pacing is off with all the storylines.

Fantastic season and can't wait to finish off the last few episodes.

Edit: In regards to my comment about Mike. In S3 after Will fails to keep the D&D game going, Mike later tells him, "Did you expect us to play games in my basement all day" and the in S4 is in the "Hellfire Club" and loves D&D after showing little interest the previous season. Not complaining but just feels off that his character not staying consistent.

Last edited:

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
That's actually not true. While there were numerous delays, COVID etc, aside from filming for 2 weeks in early 2020 before the pandemic hit, the entirety of S4 was filmed over a one year period between September 2020 and September 2021.

well then the cast lied, because they said they had filmed spots for 3 years.

Regardless, they are definitely 3 years older than S3.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think the problem with Mike as a character is that for the most part, his main character traits were "leader", "dungeon mastre" and eventually "Eleven's boyfriend". He's not got a lot going for him outside of those core facets - especially now that Eddie snagged the Dungeon Master role from him in high school - so when all of those elements are no longer at the forefront of his personal arc, he just kinda freezes in place.

Lucas had a similar problem in the early seasons - he was effectively the "fourth kid" and a comic relief character, so they spent a lot of time widening his character after season 1 by adding his interactions with Max, and then this season his desire to be popular and his time on the basketball team.

I'm not really sure what they can do to resolve it from a writing perspective, outside of him finally finding some personal core to his identity that isn't 100% centered around his relationship to other people.

They could have spent time examining exactly those things - that he's used to being the leader (and used to being the DM) and is now struggling trying to figure out his own role amongst friends, many of whom aren't near him anymore, now that he doesn't get to do those things. He doesn't even need to come to the answer, but they could show him bothering to ask himself the question.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They could have spent time examining exactly those things - that he's used to being the leader (and used to being the DM) and is now struggling trying to figure out his own role amongst friends, many of whom aren't near him anymore, now that he doesn't get to do those things. He doesn't even need to come to the answer, but they could show him bothering to ask himself the question.

They could have. Unfortunately they felt it was more important to waste nearly a third of his screen time this season on Suzie's goofy comedy family. The biggest whiff of the season right there.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
well then the cast lied, because they said they had filmed spots for 3 years.

Regardless, they are definitely 3 years older than S3.
Well I suppose it could be technically true, since they starter early 2020, then late 2020 into late 2021, and maybe they had some reshoots in 2022? So technically they'd have film IN 3 years, just not FOR 3 years.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished earlier this week, great season. I'm catching up on the last few pages of comments and I wonder who will die. The cast in the show is great, but I feel like there were too many storylines early in the season(which also seem to result in some characters not acting like themselves, especially Mike with El). I don't want to see anyone go especially Steve but the pacing is off with all the storylines.

Fantastic season and can't wait to finish off the last few episodes.

Edit: In regards to my comment about Mike. In S3 after Will fails to keep the D&D game going, Mike later tells him, "Did you expect us to play games in my basement all day" and the in S4 is in the "Hellfire Club" and loves D&D after showing little interest the previous season. Not complaining but just feels off that his character not staying consistent.

This felt rather fitting as only Lucas was really able to change things up in HS by joining the basketball team. Dustin and Mike were basically only left with Eddie and the Hellfire club.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This felt rather fitting as only Lucas was really able to want to change things up in HS by joining the basketball team. Dustin and Mike were basically only left with Eddie and the Hellfire club.

Yeah, it sounds like Mike and Dustin made no attempt (or were flatly unsuccessful) at reinventing themselves in high school and remained unpopular, which basically made them both fall back into old habits. You could even call it dramatic irony that Mike was the one pushing for them to "grow up" when everything was going right for him only to completely fail to actually mature once he stopped getting exactly what he wanted handed to him on a silver platter.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
This looks like it''s Hoppers cabin.
GwU0ZYd.png

Last edited:

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mentioned it earlier in the thread as I was still working my way through the season but I actually really appreciated the fact that characters in this show actually spend time talking to one another. Feels like a lack of communication is the writers crutch these days as people not sharing obvious info or just talking out an issue leads to half the plot points.

Mind you characters like Max refusing to communicate was a big theme and narrative focus of this season but I think it was played very very well. It wasn't just a lack of communication for plot contrivance reason but a major turning point in a troubled girls life that was built up for a while and pulled off incredibly well. But just having Mike and Will sit down to tell each other they get it and that they've never stopped being fiends was a small but nice touch.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
After only watching Season 1 up until now I just binged 2-4 and damn good stuff.

That Max scene was seriously the best scene of the entire show though. Loved the Vecna stuff at the end, really curious to see what comes next.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
What was the reason for them splitting the episodes like this though? Kind of weird to just drop 2 more episodes a month later.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I'm sure this has probably been brought up already but, I was thinking about how Episode 7 ended and
I remembered that in the first episode of the season, when Eddie went to get the drugs for Chrissy, the show takes a sec to establish that he has a guitar

Chekhov's Guitar, baby. They'll save Nancy with a live performance, and Steve should know her favorite song

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
What was the reason for them splitting the episodes like this though? Kind of weird to just drop 2 more episodes a month later.

Part of it is that the Duffers mentioned a few days ago in an interview that they're still working on finishing up the final episodes.

tvline.com

Stranger Things‘ Creators Tease an Unavoidable Final-Season Time Jump

Searching for Stranger Things Season 5 spoilers? Find out what the Duffer Brothers have to say about a Season 5 time jump here.
"Believe it or not, we're still working on Season 4. We're trying to finish the final two episodes, they're so massive."

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this has probably been brought up already but, I was thinking about how Episode 7 ended and
I remembered that in the first episode of the season, when Eddie went to get the drugs for Chrissy, the show takes a sec to establish that he has a guitar

Chekhov's Guitar, baby. They'll save Nancy with a live performance, and Steve should know her favorite song

It definitely does feel like the way things should turn out. Especially given what we've seen of those characters in the part 2 trailer.

OP
OP
Conditional-Pancakes

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness

That would be amazing.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

That is pretty much certain to happen.

But he also has a yo-yo. Which makes me wonder if it doesn't mean he'll die and pot-head will end up with it.

I don't remember if there were any indications that Jonathan could play the guitar, but I think ultimately Will would end up with it, tying back to Jonathan listening to music with Will in S1E1 and because it would be Eddie's "sword" passed over to Will, as Will has finally grown out of his former discomfort.

In the D&D lore Vecna is betrayed by his subordinate who uses the Sword of Kas to defeat him, and one could see Will as having originally been a "subordinate" of Vecna.

But I guess Will's "thing" is just that he paints, so probably not.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finished up last night. I enjoyed it, but they really lost the plot for Mike, Will, and Jonathan. Basically reduced to "Eleven's boyfriend", "permanent third wheel", and "relationship issues". There's some major hints they could do something interesting with them in Part 2, but we'll see.

Will had that interesting arc when he joined the main cast about not wanting to leave their fantasy childhood and tearing down the fort, etc, that could have led to some major character development, but we just haven't seen it.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just saw Dear Billy...

My current ranking of seasons and I don't know how badly can they mess it up by the end to make me rearrange it.

S04
S01
S03
S02

S04 feels like a looong awaited return to form for me! Loving it!

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Didn't watch S3 at the time it came out, started it up as S4 dropped.

Just got done watching S3 and S4 back to back, S3 was alright but man S4 Pt.1 was so fucking good. Ep4 and Ep7 were absolute fire.

Nancy getting the curse because of barb was a great twist

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope season 5 sticks its landing, I would hate for another show I'm invested in turning into a GoT situation or so many other shows that just couldn't get there endings right.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope season 5 sticks its landing, I would hate for another show I'm invested in turning into a GoT situation.

I hope that the fact they've been planning for this ending since they started writing Season 2 helps them pull it off. GoT was a clear example of D&D just wanting to rush to the end to get out of their contract and go make Star Wars, whereas the Duffers just seem to have had this ending in mind for a really long time and everything serves that.

I don't want to say they'll definitely pull it off because they've flubbed plenty of moments before, but I have a bit more faith in them than I did in D&D considering the writing for GoT was on the wall three seasons before the end, we just refused to see it.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope season 5 sticks its landing, I would hate for another show I'm invested in turning into a GoT situation or so many other shows that just couldn't get there endings right.
I think it will because the Duffers have had a lot of the plot planned out for ages. They've always talked about how they had a definitive end in mind even back around the time S2 was coming out, so I have a lot of faith in them sticking the landing. Just the other day they talked about how they already have the final shot of the series planned out.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I hope that the fact they've been planning for this ending since they started writing Season 2 helps them pull it off. GoT was a clear example of D&D just wanting to rush to the end to get out of their contract and go make Star Wars, whereas the Duffers just seem to have had this ending in mind for a really long time and everything serves that.
nah it's a direct result of them running out of source material. It's no coincidence that the quality starts dropping after they pass the books.

I don't want to say they'll definitely pull it off because they've flubbed plenty of moments before, but I have a bit more faith in them than I did in D&D considering the writing for GoT was on the wall three seasons before the end, we just refused to see it.
Literally the only bad episode in the whole show is sister in season 2.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
nah it's a direct result of them running out of source material. It's no coincidence that the quality starts dropping after they pass the books.

They also very clearly just wanted to be done by the end. They could've spent the time they needed and HBO wanted them to but they were ready to be done.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise

Honestly I've gone into every season (post S1) thinking it will be the season they run out of ideas, and the show proves me wrong every time (which is to say to it satisfies my personal expectations).

After being blown away by season 4, I think I'm at the point where the Duffers have my trust and I really think they're going to stick the landing on this one.

In season 3 Mike had a local girlfriend to prioritize over playing D&D with the boys. In the year between seasons said girlfriend lives in California, so back to the basement he went.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really starting to think S4 of Stranger Things might be the best one yet. It's really been a fantastic watch. I've already seen it but jump into watchparties with my friends and I still feel like it holds up in quality even in rewatch.