• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
These episodes were fantastic. The show was firing on all cylinders, even if they made that final reveal a bit obvious. Episode 4 of course stands out

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ep 7 was weird in how key characters, including Max, are not present. When I saw Max peering into the hole with the others I thought "what? Did they go pick up her on the way?" but it turns out she was at the home too, just not with them when they were arguing or using the Light Bright. It was really weird that Mike and co. were left out for a whole episode.

Will was in there 5 days. Steve's group was only in there for, at most, hours. Will didn't seem to have much problem moving around the UD when he was talking with Joyce through the wall.

Steve sneezed or coughed when they got to the house
and I thought "oh shit he's infected by something".

Oct 27, 2017
Ep 7 was weird in how key characters, including Max, are not present. When I saw Max peering into the hole with the others I thought "what? Did they go pick up her on the way?" but it turns out she was at the home too, just not with them when they were arguing or using the Light Bright. It was really weird that Mike and co. were left out for a whole episode.

She came out from being interrogated and they told her to come up stairs.

Btw, also weird leaving out that military group. Poor idea to split the season if they couldn't dangle a few threads in the last episode for key characters/plots.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017

Steve sneezed or coughed when they got to the house
and I thought "oh shit he's infected by something".
Max was being interviewed by the cops.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Max was being interviewed by the cops.

Sure, because the plot did that. It didn't really have to but whatever I guess they needed a reason to keep the adults busy.

Btw, also weird leaving out that military group. Poor idea to split the season if they couldn't dangle a few threads in the last episode for key characters/plots.

There is some pacing issue. The town went all "yeah let's go get that freak!" and then we don't see anything about the mob looking for Eddy. When the cops showed up at the lake I thought it would actually be the mob. They got too many concurrent plots, it's like Return of the Jedi x 2.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Lt. Sullivan was in ep 7 though. The first scene after the title sequence was the agent he was interrogating giving up El's location.

Oct 27, 2017
Lt. Sullivan was in ep 7 though. The first scene after the title sequence was the agent he was interrogating giving up El's location.
You know, I was thinking I may have been incorrect because my wife and I watched that ep in 2 sessions. But it still had no payoff or "dangle" by the end. It's proof that the split was ill-conceived. It'd be a non issue if another ep came right away. Even a mid-season break ep would do a better job back on cable tv land.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think she's going to go all Tetsuo on them as they arrive on site.

I think so too. I'm wondering if the military plotline is going to have any sort of payoff or if they're just jobbers who are really just there to put some urgency on El's story and for her to show off her powers once she gets them back lol. We'll see what happens though.

You know, I was thinking I may have been incorrect because my wife and I watched that ep in 2 sessions. But it still had no payoff or "dangle" by the end. It's proof that the split was ill-conceived. It'd be a non issue if another ep came right away. Even a mid-season break ep would do a better job back on cable tv land.

Yeah, It was a little anti-climactic the way they put that scene at the beginning and did nothing else with the military the rest of the episode. I honestly think the military are just there to be fodder for El's escape sequence and then they'll probably be out of the picture, so maybe they just figured there wasn't any point in dangling any more hooks at the end with that plotline. Like they know where she is and they're coming, and that's probably enough for now tbh.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think so too. I'm wondering if the military plotline is going to have any sort of payoff or if they're just jobbers who are really just there to put some urgency on El's story and for her to show off her powers once she gets them back lol. We'll see what happens though.

I don't think
her getting her powers is a good thing though. The "bad guys" military are in the plot for her to use her powers to murder them violently. Remember the police interview where she can't say if she wanted to kill Chrissy. But like I said earlier I think that sadly all of this S4 Eleven plot is ultimately a rethread of what S2Ep7 was all about to begin with.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Weirdest thing to me still, can't get passed it 😂, though it's minor, was there FBI lady who took over Eddie's trailer to investigate and seal it off and then… completely vanished from the show 🫠

Was weird that the kids clearly just walked in and pulled their friends through without any resistance or the agents there at all haha

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Good part 1. Episodes were long but flew by. Some amazing scenes. Kate Bush song scene, them riding through the up side down, Victor Creel flashbacks.
Chrissy kill got me shook tho the first time. Damn.
Nice twist at the end.
Looking forward to part 2 and ending.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Watched 7 yesterday. It's fine.

This whole season feels disjointed and dragging. Not much is really happening as it's all build up.

Will and co got shafted big time this season.

Long hair weed guy is a terrible new character.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Just got to the ending of episode 4 and that is probably the highlight of the entire franchise.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 7's fantastic pay-off did a lot to improve my opinion of this season.
I absolutely love the 3 previous seasons but with this one I was feeling disappointed for the first time ever with this show. Even though there are great moments sprinkled throughout, with all these plotlines the show feels disjointed and lacking focus.
Fortunately episode 7 did a good job at giving a couple of them a good pay-off.
I loved the whole thing with Eleven and 001, great way to tie Eleven's past with the current villain. And the scenes were just great, the way 001's actor transformed was fantastic.
And Hopper vs Demogorgon was great as well.
I hope volume 2 kicks ass, it has everything it needs to do so.

Last edited:

sonofsamsonite

The one who likes mustard
Nov 1, 2017
The Dear Billy episode is some of the best stuff I've ever seen on TV. Sadie's performance, the song and the imagery gave a legitimately spiritual feeling to the climax. Amazing episode.

Staf

Nov 7, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
I'm on episode 3 and it's very good. But I really feel the lengths of the episodes.. Not sure it can keep me interested all the way through… I'm already starting to check my phone during the scenes with Hopper, they are super boring compared to everything else.

Everything with Dustin and Steve is fucking golden though.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The Dear Billy episode is some of the best stuff I've ever seen on TV. Sadie's performance, the song and the imagery gave a legitimately spiritual feeling to the climax. Amazing episode.
Yeah, that was probably my favorite scene of what is already perhaps the best season of the show. I was cautious after season 2 being just OK, but 3 and 4 have been great.

Season 4 has IMHO elevated Max in particular from an audience surrogate straight-(wo)man sassily reacting to all the wacky stuff going on, to a fundamental part of the show's emotional core.
Argyle might be my least favorite "new" character introduced.

Eddie is great though.
Agreed with both. Argyle sticks too close to the cliched stoner archetype to be interesting at all. Eddie on the other hand is downright magnetic. I can't get over how much he reminds me of a young Robert Downey Jr.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
I'm on episode 3 and it's very good. But I really feel the lengths of the episodes.. Not sure it can keep me interested all the way through… I'm already starting to check my phone during the scenes with Hopper, they are super boring compared to everything else.

Everything with Dustin and Steve is fucking golden though.

I'm the opposite. Give me a 3 hour episode and I'd watch it ASAP. Although I'd need to take several short breaks lol.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Jonathan and Argyle aren't bad. The levity in the California segments is actually kind of appreciated (and man, the shootout scene was amazing). Hoping that Mike and co. come back in a big way for the final two eps.

The Russia part is what really drags. I love Hop, and Joyce and Murray are fairly entertaining here and there, but there's just too much of it. It should really be a C- plot instead of a full on B plot. I would have given more for the California team to do and much less for the Russia team to do if I were the writer.

Also, Eddie needs to join the main cast. He totally stole the show in Episode 1 and I was sad to see him kind of fade into the background until the final couple of eps.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Awww, I like Argyle, bummed out that others don't enjoy the character. I agree that he is the most lazy and played out kind of stoner archetype character. But honestly, I think the actor does a great job of making him engaging and likeable and they throw him just enough relationship talk scenes with Johnathan. I feel like I knew a lot of dudes like him in high school.

Johnathan, Mike, and Will have been so underdeveloped and boring in Season 4 (compared to everyone else) that they desperately need a character like Argyle to liven things up. All of the "fun" characters are in Hawkins or elsewhere.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed this season! The nightmare on elm street and Akira references are obvious but tastefully done.

I guessed the villain and the identity of 001 early on but it was still satisfying. My first guess was that 11 somehow sent 001 back in time and that's when he killed Victor's family, but the actual story was better.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I really liked this so far, have rewatched the entire series because of it, even the stupid mystery team powers episode featuring a girl that speaks with an English accent for some reason.

My only problem with season 4? They don't have the savoir. They don't have the smartest man in the world. They don't have Scott Clarke.

Without Mr. Clarke, Hawkins would have been overrun by the upside down 3 different times.

latest
Yes! But I understand why he wasn't included. At least they found a way in 3.

Folks, I'm missing the show real bad. I've been rewatching Beyond Stranger things

OP
OP
Conditional-Pancakes

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Folks, I'm missing the show real bad. I've been rewatching Beyond Stranger things

Yeah me too! I just can't wait for Volume Two.

At least this week Netflix will air two Stranger Things featurettes on the 9th. They should be watchable on the main Netflix Youtube channel.

about.netflix.com

How to Watch Geeked Week 2022 and Title Schedule Reveal - About Netflix

Netflix Geeked, Netflix’s home for all things genre entertainment, is back with Geeked Week ‘22….and it's bigger than ever!

Thursday, June 9

Stranger Things 4 Vol. 1: Unlocked
at 9am PT / 12pm ET / 5pm GMT

The Hellfire Club: A Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Adventure
at 10am PT / 1pm ET / 6pm GMT

cXXe7DI.jpg

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
First four episodes were great. The latter three were just okay for me. I'll just spoiler my whole post. Spoilers up through the last episode!

I was most disappointed that we spend so much time away from Hawkins it felt like. I'm here for the interactions with the main cast first and the mystery second but with Hopper and the adults over in Russia and half the group over in California, and then Eleven going through what has always been my least favorite part of the series with the lab stuff, it kind of fell apart for me. If they skipped the entire lab arc or did it in an episode or something I would have enjoyed it a lot more.

I personally would have preferred we stayed with the kids in Cali instead of splitting them even further. Finish that story line out with the new school. I don't know. But I was genuinely at the edge of my seat during the first Vecna kill and like everyone else I loved episode four. I just miss the adventure aspect of the show. And Russia is just a big bore. Had Hopper escaped and everything went well in the first half, I would have been okay but I just rolled my eyes when everyone was captured again. In a show with an Upside Down world and psychic powers, the Russia subplot was the most unbelievable for me. As much as I loved Hopper and feared for him after S3, I'd rather had him pass away and skip all this.

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
Just rewatched the first episode and about wills kidnapping people say they hear a clock chiming sound when he falls of his bike and also do the demogorgans have telekinesis to unlock the door latch?

A lot of people think this goes back to vecna

What does everyone think

Oct 25, 2017
Just rewatched the first episode and about wills kidnapping people say they hear a clock chiming sound when he falls of his bike and also do the demogorgans have telekinesis to unlock the door latch?

A lot of people think this goes back to vecna

What does everyone think

I could really go for this and it'd bring Will back in to relevance while also laying on the season 1 nostalgia because the final season will feel like a victory lap.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Awww, I like Argyle, bummed out that others don't enjoy the character. I agree that he is the most lazy and played out kind of stoner archetype character. But honestly, I think the actor does a great job of making him engaging and likeable and they throw him just enough relationship talk scenes with Johnathan. I feel like I knew a lot of dudes like him in high school.

Johnathan, Mike, and Will have been so underdeveloped and boring in Season 4 (compared to everyone else) that they desperately need a character like Argyle to liven things up. All of the "fun" characters are in Hawkins or elsewhere.

This is creating a solution to a problem that shouldn't have existed to begin with. And now they added ANOTHER character with the goth babysitter. It really feels like they are preparing to get rid of some of the main cast for future seasons. Considering how the cast got too big and there were too many plots this season it really doesn't bode well for an S5 if they keep expanding the cast, and if they're going to cut down on the main cast to make room for uninteresting characters that really have no relation with one another I think S4 might be the last good season.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
This is creating a solution to a problem that shouldn't have existed to begin with. And now they added ANOTHER character with the goth babysitter. It really feels like they are preparing to get rid of some of the main cast for future seasons. Considering how the cast got too big and there were too many plots this season it really doesn't bode well for an S5 if they keep expanding the cast, and if they're going to cut down on the main cast to make room for uninteresting characters that really have no relation with one another I think S4 might be the last good season.

I'm pretty sure they confirmed that season 5 is the last. These new characters aren't part of a long term plan to replace the original characters. I agree that the cast didn't need to get even bigger though, it's just too much to juggle.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm pretty sure they confirmed that season 5 is the last. These new characters aren't part of a long term plan to replace the original characters. I agree that the cast didn't need to get even bigger though, it's just too much to juggle.

Sure, last season, but then it won't be. The show runners might be done but you know Netflix will want more, and the B-characters' actors won't turn down the opportunity. At the same time Netflix can't be stupid enough to think it will be a great success, but they have nothing to lose pumping out more seasons until exhaustion and then finally bring "the original cast" back years later or some such.

OP
OP
Conditional-Pancakes

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Sure, last season, but then it won't be. The show runners might be done but you know Netflix will want more, and the B-characters' actors won't turn down the opportunity. At the same time Netflix can't be stupid enough to think it will be a great success, but they have nothing to lose pumping out more seasons until exhaustion and then finally bring "the original cast" back years later or some such.

Why so cynical? lol

Pretty sure season 5 really will be the last season of the main show.

But there will be spin-offs. And I'm OK with it.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

? S5 is the last season. Yes, there will be spinoffs and such, but S5 is it for the main show. There are no "future seasons". There is one future season, that's it.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
I ain't even worried about the well-being of Nancy at the end of episode seven. My partner wants her dead but this show repeatedly dangles the mortality of a major character then reveals them to be fine next episode. I have urged her not to get her hopes up.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
finally finished the season proper. been working a lot and have been watching it off and on, falling asleep, not really knowing where i left off. so i re-watched the whole thing last night

at first i was a little tepid on the season i wasn't really sure where they were going with some things (especially the "rainbow room" stuff) but giving it a full watch, the payoff was fantastic, can't wait for july.

minor gripes, writing w/r/t dialogue can get a little grating. they definitely tipped their hand too far with the suzie thing, Argyle too. nbd though i don't take this show super seriously

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I ain't even worried about the well-being of Nancy at the end of episode seven. My partner wants her dead but this show repeatedly dangles the mortality of a major character then reveals them to be fine next episode. I have urged her not to get her hopes up.

Yeah its been bad for that. However, with presumably only something like 10 or 11 episodes left in the entire series and no renewals to worry about, I suspect we will see some proper main cast deaths. I'm almost betting on one of the major cast members biting the dust in that 2.5 hour Episode 9 coming in 4 weeks.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017

Why would she want that out of interest?

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
Yeah I'm hoping stoner dude,goth girl and susie head straight back to California never to be seen again once they drop Mike ,will and Johnathan off at the lab where eleven is in . There's just a ridiculous amount of characters for such a plot that all leads back to one location in the end Hawkins and it's upside down

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We haven't seen enough goth girl yet to make a judgment. Eddie has been a solid cast addition.

Argyle is the only one that is a complete and utter miss and a waste of time (just like, literally everything about that California plot line, which is the second worst thing the show has ever done after the Chicago episode).

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
We haven't seen enough goth girl yet to make a judgment. Eddie has been a solid cast addition.

Argyle is the only one that is a complete and utter miss and a waste of time (just like, literally everything about that California plot line, which is the second worst thing the show has ever done after the Chicago episode).

Eddie is actually a hugely missed opportunity, the character should have had a more prominent role otherwise they should have avoided writing him into the plot at all to begin with. His character feels like he must have originally been written in with a bigger role but was diminished over rewrites. So if they couldn't give him a proper role I don't think it will work out with the c-tier characters.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
Why would she want that out of interest?

She dislikes Nancy and has since season one and rooting for their death is now a giant joke between us. It was beginning to subside for a bit then Nancy told the gang to split into pairs at the Creel mansion and we were off to the races again.

Yeah its been bad for that. However, with presumably only something like 10 or 11 episodes left in the entire series and no renewals to worry about, I suspect we will see some proper main cast deaths. I'm almost betting on one of the major cast members biting the dust in that 2.5 hour Episode 9 coming in 4 weeks.

Yeah I get that vibe too. Two Vecna fake-outs on the main cast is going to be really on-the nose though. Esp when he is just cleaving through those supporting characters.

OP
OP
Conditional-Pancakes

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness

When did the show make us think a character would die in the past? I can't remember. Maybe Will in season 1? We can't even say Hopper because of the post-credit scene at the end of season 3.

I think the only time they did it in a serious way was this season with Max in episode 4. And the sequence at the end of the episode was particularly effective because Max dying was a real possibility. They set up her arc from the beginning of the season to make us think exactly that.

I really can't remember a moment when the show did something similar.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
When did the show make us think a character would die in the past? I can't remember. Maybe Will in season 1? We can't even say Hopper because of the post-credit scene at the end of season 3.

I think the only time they did it in a serious way was this season with Max in episode 4. And the sequence at the end of the episode was particularly effective because Max dying was a real possibility. They set up her arc from the beginning of the season to make us think exactly that.

I really can't remember a moment when the show did something similar.

Joyce and Murray literally survive a plane crash in episode five. Broadly speaking this show treats its main ensemble like they are indestructible.

Also Brenner just happens to be alive right now and we ain't even discussing it. 😂

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If anyone gets killed it will be Eddie or Eleven. The town will never accept Eddie isn't the murderer, unless Eleven goes all Stephen King in front of everyone and gets blamed for everything as being the devil incarnate. I could see Eddie sacrificing himself to save everyone as he has no family and sees himself as a coward, so that would be his heroic act and he'd take the blame with himself to the grave.

But of course that would leave him up to come back anyway like they did with Hoper.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Finished episode 7. I really like everything in Hawkins, while simultaneously disliking almost everything else. This show didn't need to be this sprawling.