• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
1. Why are Hopper and Murray suddenly John Wick?

Hopper, this one you just gotta accept as him being desperate and having police training. It's not realistic, but it is what it is.

7. Why would 001 claim he planned for his father to take the blame for his murders if he was only saved because of hearing a song he liked?
He wasn't saved because of hearing a song he liked - 001 said he bit off more than he could chew, so when Viktor escaped, it was because 001 wasn't able to continue (He collapses during the "flashback"). The song thing was a theory the kids had, but I think it's a red herring. Especially since the song alone didn't save Max - it just gives them a thing in the real world to sort of let them realize they're in a trance. This carries over into how Nancy and co could hear Dustin and them while in the upside down.

Small correction on one and an addendum on two, Hopper is a Vietnam war veteran, and this season confirmed he was in the Chemical Corps. He would've likely had more combat training than your average police officer. As for the second, I think this is overcomplicating things a bit. When the people are in a trance, they're stuck in a metaphysical headspace. What they're experiencing and the events that happen isn't actually "real", it's more of a mental representation. I don't think Vecna actually fully understood the reason why his dad broke free, but Creel latching onto the subconscious effect of music basically meant his mind overpowered Vecna's influence.

Vecna intending to pin the murders on his dad didn't actually require for his dad to stay alive either. It could've been framed as a murder suicide.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
She's probably the best actor on the show

I'd argue her and Steve as the MvP's, but for sure out of this batch of episodes 'Dear Billy' was the most emotionally satisfying and felt the best overall - not just for great use of the song, but thematically and her acting = A+. She was great in Fear Street too

Overall, solid series. I'd quibble the pacing was a bit odd in places, cutting away from scenes mid flow to go to other locations when they really should have let scenes and locations breathe. I entirely get 'why' they did it, but for example the Russia subplot was all over the place in fragmentation when I feel they should have done it over two episodes instead of 7.

For sure it's to intersperse the appearances evenly, and most times you can get away with that in an ensemble, but IMO it hurt the flow here

But again though, minor quibbles. It's a big global show now but I feel it's handling that spotlight well

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
David Harbour: 'Stranger Things was different from anything I've ever experienced in my career'

He said: "I have been struggling with the medical model of mental illness for a long time. I started to really get into talk therapy around the particular trauma, and I find that narrative and stories, dealing intellectually and emotionally with personal trauma, has been far more liberating to me than hospitals and drugs.

"There is a mental illness component that requires medication, but there also is a very social component to mental illness. It's not like a broken leg..."

He continued by saying Stranger Things can help by processing problems through the characters, seeing them... "Overcoming trauma and overcoming their difficulties, and hopefully becoming better people and more able to be a part of the world."

I watched his hot ones interview yesterday and read this today. He's a really interesting person.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Small correction on one and an addendum on two, Hopper is a Vietnam war veteran, and this season confirmed he was in the Chemical Corps. He would've likely had more combat training than your average police officer. As for the second, I think this is overcomplicating things a bit. When the people are in a trance, they're stuck in a metaphysical headspace. What they're experiencing and the events that happen isn't actually "real", it's more of a mental representation. I don't think Vecna actually fully understood the reason why his dad broke free, but Creel latching onto the subconscious effect of music basically meant his mind overpowered Vecna's influence.

Vecna intending to pin the murders on his dad didn't actually require for his dad to stay alive either. It could've been framed as a murder suicide.
Oh shit you're totally right. I can't believe I forgot that first one. Jesus.

On the second - yeah that seems more plausible.

OP
OP
Conditional-Pancakes

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Ha! There is a

27 years gap between the Henry Creel's events in 1959 and the killings in 1986. So the monster waited 27 years to return, just like in Stephen King's "It". Also, because of Eddie's stuck watch we learn that Patrick was killed by Vecna 27 minutes past nine.

Now I know why the Duffers said that they drew inspirations from the "It" miniseries for season 4, lol!

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Ha! There is a

27 years gap between the Henry Creel's events in 1959 and the killings in 1986. So the monster waited 27 years to return, just like in Stephen King's "It". Also, because of Eddie's stuck watch we learn that Patrick was killed by Vecna 27 minutes past nine.

Now I know why the Duffer's said that they drew inspirations from the "It" miniseries for season 4, lol!
I mean IT was the inspiration of Stranger Things in general.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
Just finished Episode 7, amazing.

I though wish at least Will/Mike/Jonathan had gone to Hawkins and met up with the folks there. Like they were absent from Episode 7 and I miss them all not being together.

We still don't know why Vecna waited all these years to start killing right?

I hope Nancy survives! I assume Robin going through her tapes knows her favorite song.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Episode 7, amazing.

I though wish at least Will/Mike/Jonathan had gone to Hawkins and met up with the folks there. Like they were absent from Episode 7 and I miss them all not being together.

We still don't know why Vecna waited all these years to start killing right?

I hope Nancy survives! I assume Robin going through her tapes knows her favorite song.
The might still reunite in the last two episodes.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Did the rest of the guards just like... fuck off? Was the prison manned by like 5 people?

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Did the rest of the guards just like... fuck off? Was the prison manned by like 5 people?
Either 001 killed the other ones off screen, or it could also be a case of having less staff so that there isn't as much chance of leaks. So maybe there is more security, but just not where the top secret area is.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Either 001 killed the other ones off screen, or it could also be a case of having less staff so that there isn't as much chance of leaks. So maybe there is more security, but just not where the top secret area is.

Actually I mean the prison Hopper was in, but now that you mention it. Eleven's location was also incredibly lightly guarded too lol. Hawkins has like maybe 4 policemen. Seems like guards in general just don't exist outside of the military having a ton of expendable guys.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Loved the season except for one thing:
the entire subplot in Russia just felt so pointless.. We learned nothing the entire time over there, no new info on the Upside Down, the monster, anything on the KGB side of things. They could have had Hopper escape in one episode if they had wanted to. The whole subplot just dragged on.

Anyway, loved everything else. Very surprised it took something like 5 or 6 episodes before someone made a reference to Nightmare on Elm Street.

Also, maybe because I grew up in the 80s but...I sincerely want the era's hair styles to come back lol.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
Loved the season except for one thing:
the entire subplot in Russia just felt so pointless.. We learned nothing the entire time over there, no new info on the Upside Down, the monster, anything on the KGB side of things. They could have had Hopper escape in one episode if they had wanted to. The whole subplot just dragged on.

Anyway, loved everything else. Very surprised it took something like 5 or 6 episodes before someone made a reference to Nightmare on Elm Street.

Also, maybe because I grew up in the 80s but...I sincerely want the era's hair styles to come back lol.
From the trailer it seems Russia pays off in the back half but it is by far the weakest of the subplots.

Last edited:

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I have a lot of respect for this show never dropping plots that were not well recieved.

I thought Kali would never be referenced again lol

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
If I were to watch a single episode of Stranger Things, having not seen any of the series at all, which episode would be the best (or most confusing) to watch?

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If I were to watch a single episode of Stranger Things, having not seen any of the series at all, which episode would be the best (or most confusing) to watch?
Just start with the very first ep of S1. It has one of the most effective cold opens ever IMO. Hooks you right in from the beginning.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
The real whiplash about the age of the kids now is gonna be in season 5 when the youngest Wheeler kid is an actual prominent side character

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Like most serials, the answer is obviously the first episode for the best, and the most recent episode for most confusing. Feel free to place yourself wherever you need on that weird scale, but I think asking fans of the show is going to inevitably have us all telling you to just start at the beginning lol.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Like most serials, the answer is obviously the first episode for the best, and the most recent episode for most confusing. Feel free to place yourself wherever you need on that weird scale, but I think asking fans of the show is going to inevitably have us all telling you to just start at the beginning lol.
I feel like the second this starts playing, you know if they're succeeding in crafting a place

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Just started a rewatch of the entire show to see if my issues with season 4 are just a nostalgia goggles thing.

Doesn't seem like it. Season 1 is absolutely perfect. Can't believe I'd actually only watched it once.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just started a rewatch of the entire show to see if my issues with season 4 are just a nostalgia goggles thing.

Doesn't seem like it. Season 1 is absolutely perfect. Can't believe I'd actually only watched it once.

It's by far the best the show ever was, before it became a cultural zeitgeist.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it.....REALLY liked Episode 7 and the Vecna twist. Great stuff. Episodes 4 and 7 were by far the highlights. 2 more episodes to go of course, but overall so far a very uneven season for me. The Hawkins stuff was compelling as hell and as great as ever. But everything else? Mike/Will/Jonathan/Argyle? Half-baked waste of time. Joyce/Hopper? Better but still bloated and padded put. Eleven? Same as the others until the 11th hour.

We will see what the July episodes look like, but as of now it's firmly below S3. S1 > S3 > S4.1 > S2.

Of course I should probably add a disclaimer that I've seen S1 three times (all in 2016), and that I've only watched the other seasons once when they aired, so I'd be curious to see how I feel upon a rewatch (which I'll do either before or after S5).

Last edited:

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
Just start with the very first ep of S1. It has one of the most effective cold opens ever IMO. Hooks you right in from the beginning.

What a strange question. Watch the pilot. You'll either be hooked from there or you won't.

I don't want to get hooked, though. I just want to watch an episode where I have no idea what's going on. Like, what if I just watched the Season 3 finale, not knowing anything about the show.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to get hooked, though. I just want to watch an episode where I have no idea what's going on. Like, what if I just watched the Season 3 finale, not knowing anything about the show.
Why would you even do this? So strange. Anyways, if you must, probably the most recent episode (4.07) would not make a lick of sense to you.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished episode 7.

That was SUPER great and maybe my favorite of the season. Really set Volime 2 up for some huge moments.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
OP
OP
Conditional-Pancakes

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Ah ok. Hmm... What if I started on 4.07, and then went backwards through the series...

lBowpk7.gif

What?

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Two seasons of the show now completely disregard the world building done in S2E7.

I also find it ridiculous the government sends hitmen after eleven but nothing is mentioned about there being others with powers out in the world. Surely they know, right?

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My relationship with Stranger Things post-S2 is so weird

Every time a new season is about to drop I'm mostly apathetic beyond joking about Steve

Then I watch the season and remember why I like the show all over again lol

Two seasons of the show now completely disregard the world building done in S2E7.

I also find it ridiculous the government sends hitmen after eleven but nothing is mentioned about there being others with powers out in the world. Surely they know, right?

We don't talk about S2E7

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Just finished it.....REALLY liked Episode 7 and the Vecna twist. Great stuff. Episodes 4 and 7 were by far the highlights. 2 more episodes to go of course, but overall so far a very uneven season for me. The Hawkins stuff was compelling as hell and as great as ever. But everything else? Mike/Will/Jonathan/Argyle? Half-baked waste of time. Joyce/Hopper? Better but still bloated and padded put. Eleven? Same as the others until the 11th hour.

The Hawkins stuff is some of my favorite things things the show has ever done, every time that storyline is on the season was amazing (aided by all my favorite characters being in it). I did think it was hilarious how superfluous the other plot lines went, with one disappearing entirely towards the end and the other being something that could have wrapped up in half the time but they needed to keep it going so they threw a wrench in it.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
what a terrible/horrible last 20 minutes.

i really liked the first half, when is part 2 coming?

OP
OP
Conditional-Pancakes

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness

We did get a reference to El's mother and Eight in episode 6. Pretty sure we'll get to see Eight at least once more before the show is over.

Wasn't El the last official test subject known to be alive? I don't think anybody knows about Eight. And even if the army knows, she isn't the one with the power to make people levitate and then crush them.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but what's the best one?

Ah ok. Hmm... What if I started on 4.07, and then went backwards through the series...
Ok I'll bite, do you typically do this for shows you watch? I just can't really fathom starting a new show off by watching a random episode or starting with the most recent one and working backwards. It almost seems like you're trolling but you seem genuine about it so I'm just wondering why you want to go about watching something this way lol.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
Ok I'll bite, do you typically do this for shows you watch? I just can't really fathom starting a new show off by watching a random episode or starting with the most recent one and working backwards. It almost seems like you're trolling but you seem genuine about it so I'm just wondering why you want to go about watching something this way lol.
I've never done this with a show before, but that's why I want to give it a try. It'd be weird having absolutely no emotion investment nor context to what was going on. Would the episode still work?

What would it be like if you watched the finale of Game of Thrones never seeing a single episode?