• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I gotta say that scene in California
When the bad government guys come in guns blazing-shocked the shit out of me. I had no idea that was coming and my jaw was on the floor on that sequence. I think it was a long take.
Yeah it was a phenomenal tracking shot. Probably the best one I've seen since the unbelievable tracking shots in S1 of True Detective, 'Battle of the Bastards' and 'The Watchers on the Wall'.

Last edited:

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
When the bad government guys come in guns blazing-shocked the shit out of me. I had no idea that was coming and my jaw was on the floor on that sequence. I think it was a long take.
Props to the actor who played the unnamed agent because he absolutely nailed that sequence. Also thought it was cool to see Jonathan step up and try to make sure Will and Mike stayed safe too.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I loved that scene too.
What I thought was cool, was seeing the older, chubby agent dude, who you expect to be the lazy, bored, inept agent stereotype not taking his job seriously and all that, actually keep his cool and do his job exceptionally well at protecting the kids (almost John Wick level of badass haha) and die like a goddamn hero. That was really cool.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
I loved that scene too.
What I thought was cool, was seeing the older, chubby agent dude, who you expect to be the lazy, bored, inept agent stereotype not taking his job seriously and all that, actually keep his cool and do his job exceptionally well at protecting the kids (almost John Wick level of badass haha) and die like a goddamn hero. That was really cool.
I feel bad for the other bodyguard, dudes torture was pretty rough.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Shootout felt a little bit like they're trying to do the famous True Detective scene, but that scene will never be topped.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
I loved that scene too.
Yeah, I really liked that aspect of it too.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I was so shocked by that I initially thought it was fake at first... then it kept going

Embiid

Feb 20, 2021
It felt like Robin's character underwent a big change from season 3. She was one of my favorite characters last season and in ST4, I just found her kind of annoying. It felt like they made her ditzy; in ST3, she was kind of the brains of the group. Maybe they needed to add some comedic relief to balance out Nancy's seriousness?
Glad there's someone else who noticed this. Season 3 was so long ago but immediately I noticed how much Robin had changed in S4. She was chill and smart and they turned her into this awkward, quirky character that does these long-winded, fast-talking ditzy monologues. That's not the Robin I remember. Whatever tho, not a huge deal.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
88df452f31a34837448fd0911c6d3959ba3450aa.jpg

98f0ca01b53cf59442f875b199e7524ebe764a51.jpg

BTS

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I feel a little bad for Murray. Shaving your beard when it's cold out is like waking up by having your blanket ripped off.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or has MBB gotten worse as an actress? She was the highlight of S1. Now she's kind of ...stilted and grating?

Embiid

Feb 20, 2021
Character spoiler, not much

I hope the Russian prison guard makes it,
good character. He was great in GoT too

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
1st episode, not a spoiler.

I'm probably the only person crazy enough to pause at this moment, but this math doesn't make any sense. Not nitpicking or anything like that, I'm just wondering why, lol.

gCiQJKC.png

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or has MBB gotten worse as an actress? She was the highlight of S1. Now she's kind of ...stilted and grating?

She only really worked for me in S1 tbh, everything after that is diminishing returns but acceptable... so long as she has her powers

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think so. The influences the character is drawn from does tend to lean into a very stilted and socially awkward persona which doesn't feel as natural as El was back in the first couple seasons where she was a more emotionally driven archetype though.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Gotta admit I didn't catch the Hellraiser references on my first watch. Beyond Vecna carrying himself like Pinhead, there's the fact that he likes to hang out in his attic Uncle Frank style.

I wonder how far they'll carry the reference. Is Vecna's relationship to the Mind Flayer similar to the Cenobites and Leviathan? Is it possible that his plan for his victims is to not only kill them but also create Cenobite like minions?

Also, while he might be going through a redemption arc, Dr Brenner shares a few similarities to Channard from Hellbound. I wonder where his character will end up.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
I think her acting matches the character, and she did well at it.

Problem now is that eleven is a very boring character without much charisma in a show full of characters with lots of it. The character has served an important purpose but really doesn't measure up to the rest of the cast. And since she is the only way they can win, we are stuck with her to the end.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm 5 episodes deep now and I think the Hawkins stuff is really strong but everything else feels like they didn't have anything much for the characters to do? Joyce/Hopper, Will/Mike/Jonathan, Eleven, all kinda wasted/spinning their wheels?

OP
OP
Conditional-Pancakes

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Gotta admit I didn't catch the Hellraiser references on my first watch. Beyond Vecna carrying himself like Pinhead, there's the fact that he likes to hang out in his attic Uncle Frank style.

I wonder how far they'll carry the reference. Is Vecna's relationship to the Mind Flayer similar to the Cenobites and Leviathan? Is it possible that his plan for his victims is to not only kill them but also create Cenobite like minions?

Also, while he might be going through a redemption arc, Dr Brenner shares a few similarities to Channard from Hellbound. I wonder where his character will end up.

Yeah, Vecna really is a cross between Pinhead and Freddy Krueger. It's such a great concept for a villain.

Speaking of Vecna, I just finished reading this very cool article about the practical effects used to build the villain.

(Be warned that there are pictures and some parts of the article spoiling everything up to the end of episode 7. Don't click on the article if you didn't finish Volume One!)
I'll post some non-spoilery parts below:

bloody-disgusting.com

“Stranger Things” Special Makeup Effects Designer Barrie Gower on Bringing Villain Vecna to Life [Interview]

Spoiler Warning: This article contains spoilers for “Stranger Things” Season 4’s villain. The Duffer Brothers sought to create their own Freddy Krueger for season four of “Stranger Things.” Enter Vecna, the most sophisticated and dangerous foe from the Upside Down yet. The humanoid latches onto...
The Duffer Brothers wanted brand new "Stranger Things" big bad Vecna to be almost entirely practical from the outset. They turned to the Emmy award winner behind Game of Thrones' Night King, special makeup effects artist Barrie Gower.

In a chat with Bloody Disgusting, Gower explained how he got involved with the series. "My wife, Sarah, and I run our company, BGFX, which has been going since about 2010. We've been really lucky to be part of many big franchises, but our ten-year-old daughter Lottie is a massive Stranger Things fan. Then to get the call from the Duffers, just regarding season four. I think they were fans of our work on Chernobyl, with all the radiation burns, but they were huge fans of our work on Game of Thrones, the Night King.
"We decided not to go down the route of having a guy in a monster suit, a guy in a rubber suit because we knew there would be an awful lot of interaction with him and the cast, a lot of dialogue, quite a lot of strenuous work. He did all of his stunt work, his own stunt work. There was not a stunt Vecna on Stranger Things. When you do a character like this, you would usually have a stunt guy of a similar frame who would also be put in the makeup. Jamie did all his own stunts for this show."
"There would be a little bit of VFX augmentation in post, but it'd be things we couldn't necessarily achieve practically, like giving a subtle movement to Vecna's vines on his body. They would be removing the nose of the actor and his pupils as well, even though he wore contact lenses. We knew there would be quite a nice collaboration with VFX, but it was interesting to join the show, and they already had this blueprint of how they wanted Vecna to look."
"Once he was finished in his makeup, we'd take him down to set. He had a tent just adjacent to the set. The four of us would use, essentially, a lube to cover his entire body, to give him this glossy, shiny finish. Then he would then step onto the set and play for the rest of the day. The derig at the end of the day would take about an hour and 30 minutes to get him out of makeup. You have to bear in mind that we had an incredibly patient actor who was the fifth member of our team basically, and everybody got on incredibly well.

I didn't realize that Jamie Campbell Bower (001) was also playing Vecna.

locke_21183

Banned
Jul 21, 2020
Yeah, Vecna really is a cross between Pinhead and Freddy Krueger. It's such a great concept for a villain.

Speaking of Vecna, I just finished reading this very cool article about the practical effects used to build the villain.

(Be warned that there are pictures and some parts of the article spoiling everything up to the end of episode 7. Don't click on the article if you didn't finish Volume One!)
I'll post some non-spoilery parts below:

bloody-disgusting.com

“Stranger Things” Special Makeup Effects Designer Barrie Gower on Bringing Villain Vecna to Life [Interview]

Spoiler Warning: This article contains spoilers for “Stranger Things” Season 4’s villain. The Duffer Brothers sought to create their own Freddy Krueger for season four of “Stranger Things.” Enter Vecna, the most sophisticated and dangerous foe from the Upside Down yet. The humanoid latches onto...

I didn't realize that Jamie Campbell Bower (001) was also playing Vecna.

Funnily enough (spoilers right up to end of Episode 7)
the very first time 001 appeared I was like "that's the actor who plays Vecna" - I think because I have seen so many Doctor Who special features I automatically match up what the actor looks like pre and post monster costume/effects!

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so. I'd say it's just the material she has to work with this season is not as compelling for El as it has been in the past (so far, as she's undoubtedly going to have some big moments in these last two eps). Half the episodes she's
being bullied and doesn't want to talk to anyone, the other half she's in lab flashbacks or talking to Owens/Brenner.

Also El's personality continues to evolve every season as she gets more accustomed to the real world, and I feel like that has to be a very daunting task for MBB to go into each season not knowing what direction they're taking her. Having to gradually go from barely being able to speak to stringing together full sentences but still trying to make it feel a little awkward can't be easy. El is always going to be a fish out of water where ever she goes so in many ways that stiltedness is by design rather than Millie's acting IMO.

ResetSoul

Banned
Jul 29, 2021
Dungeons and Dragons is corrupting our youth, everyone!

...I hate people.

Mike's father is so unlikable, too. Probably because he's so real. He's dim, ignorant and lazy but always being dismissive and talking down to others.