• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I think if Steve ever dies it's going to be in the last ever episode because they know people will drop the show otherwise. He's been the best character in the show since S1 hands down. I love the way he's framed as being the douchey prom king character, but throughout season 1 he's shown to be a pretty decent guy who legitimately cares for Nancy and only lashed out at Jonathan for a pretty legitimate reason. He instantly realises that he's in the wrong and goes straight to Jonathan's to apologise for the fight like the king that he is.
Still one of my favorite aspects of Season 1.
The side-plot stereotypical jerk boyfriend unknowingly wanders into the main plot and STEPS THE FUCK UP!

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just rewatched our favorite episode 4 scene since finishing Vol. 1 a few days ago and it hit me much harder the 2nd time.

Everything is perfect. The music. The acting. The scenery. The danger. Vecna. The emotions. One of my favorite scenes in TV/ cinema ever.

Will absolutely rewatch Vol. 1 in anticipation of Vol. 2. in the coming weeks, take my time and enjoy it more.

I was honestly expecting (S4 spoilers)
her to get skewered or something awful right before getting to the "portal" or whatever she was running toward. Just the way everything was built up with the flashbacks and the music. It seemed like Vecna (particularly with his last little grimace we see him give before it cuts to black) was toying with her until she just got close enough and was gonna grab her and pull her back. I'm glad she got away though, Max is awesome and the actress kills it in every scene she's in.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Still one of my favorite aspects of Season 1.
The side-plot stereotypical jerk boyfriend unknowingly wanders into the main plot and STEPS THE FUCK UP!
I was always expecting a turn for him to the worst where he revealed himself to be an all-out jerk, but actually it was the opposite. He's a fantastic character. I want him for MCU Cyclops.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
I took a break after finishing episode 7 yesterday afternoon with the intention to cap off the last 2 eps after dinner. Fuck, I had no idea about the Act 2 split. Fuck.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I'm definitely going to do a vol 1 rewatch before 2, and try to watch one episode a day this time. I think some of the plots will work better that way.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I'm definitely going to do a vol 1 rewatch before 2, and try to watch one episode a day this time. I think some of the plots will work better that way.

many people including critics were advising to take it slowly and watch it one episode at a time but lol my constant FOMO and need to get to the next episode without getting spoiled almost always got me.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
There were some very annoying aspects to this season, like every scene inside Suzie's house, the long haired weed guy, the young preacher chad, Lucas, the over the top bullying in the first couple episodes, Eleven barely speaking a word throughout the entire season, the Russian plot going nowhere...

But there were some awesome stuff too, like Steve, Eddie, the pairing of Nancy and Robin, Vecna, Robert Englund, the violence, Dr. Brenner's return, Winona
Ryder, Max, Kate Bush, the Nightmare on Elm Street themes throughout the season, and more stuff I'm probably forgetting now. I'm definitely looking forward to Volume II in a month.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
The school and teen drama killed me. Too bad, perhaps I'll revisit this when I'm in the mood in a few years.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
So, about episode 6...
Why did the Russian soldiers/KGB leave all of Yuri's contraband and illegal weapons?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
There were some very annoying aspects to this season, like every scene inside Suzie's house, the long haired weed guy, the young preacher chad, Lucas, the over the top bullying in the first couple episodes, Eleven barely speaking a word throughout the entire season, the Russian plot going nowhere...

But there were some awesome stuff too, like Steve, Eddie, the pairing of Nancy and Robin, Vecna, Robert Englund, the violence, Dr. Brenner's return, Winona
Ryder, Max, Kate Bush, the Nightmare on Elm Street themes throughout the season, and more stuff I'm probably forgetting now. I'm definitely looking forward to Volume II in a month.

I really hope Jason gets wrapped up in the Vecna storyline somehow. Dude needs to get possessed or something. I don't think he's going to change his mind about Eddie no matter what evidence is presented to him, so dude's basically just fodder for a good death scene.

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
Just a random thought...
I've not read everything here...I really only check in every now and again so forgive me if this has already been discussed.

I recall some speculation that 11 had created the upside-down but I think this is only partially correct. If you recall the first season, she stumbles onto a Demogorgon during one of her sessions with Dr. Brenner...She touches it and it turned around and screamed. Some had speculated that it was this moment that created the rip between worlds but this season but that to rest. We now know that 011 accidentally sent 001 to the upside-down during their fight and when she did, and in that moment, a copy of our world was projected into theirs.

Not exactly:

The first gate between worlds (that we know of) was indeed created when El sent 001 into upside down, but the upside down-version of Hawkins was created years later, during the encounter with the Demogorgon/the night Will Byers disappeared (and that's the date at which Nancy's diary also ends)

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Idk how much I can blame

Jason for thinking some satanic shit's going on. I'm chasing some dude with Eddie's energy and I see my friend get levitated and folded that'd probably be my go-to. He was relatively chill before his girlfriend got folded then slammed as a drug addict

This probably means nothing, but none of the episodes have ended with the main theme playing over the credits.

As above, so below

excowboy

Oct 29, 2017
Finished last night and thought it was fantastic. Yeah, some of the plotlines get a bit wacky and/or bogged down, but the production and characters always keep it watchable and enjoyable, and overall it's just absolutely great.

See some discussion here about El's side mission from S2. I noticed that they explicitly included it in the official story recap, so, I think we should expect something of that to resurface in S4P2.

Can't wait for July!

OP
OP
Conditional-Pancakes

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Speaking of this, the intro is the first time I can recall Netflix personalizing their animation as well with the Upside Down lightning in the background.

This is something they should do for more of their properties.

For sure! I think that's neat.

kh4bCL4.gif

Tonswelt

Aug 25, 2018
Germany
First two episodes in and my main takeaway is that Robin and Steve are the only characters this show needs//the show is at its best with them around. The both of them single handedly made season 3 good and definitely much more fun than any of the prior seasons, and I am seeing the same thing happen again.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Idk how much I can blame

Jason for thinking some satanic shit's going on. I'm chasing some dude with Eddie's energy and I see my friend get levitated and folded that'd probably be my go-to. He was relatively chill before his girlfriend got folded then slammed as a drug addict

As above, so below
What does that mean?

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
First two episodes in and my main takeaway is that Robin and Steve are the only characters this show needs//the show is at its best with them around. The both of them single handedly made season 3 good and definitely much more fun than any of the prior seasons, and I am seeing the same thing happen again.
How dare you exclude Dustin.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
How dare you exclude Dustin.
The peak team up was, and always will be: Steve, Robin, Dustin, and Erica. Their group dynamic is far more interesting than the original team of four (Mike, Lucas, Dustin, and Eleven) and they're all top tier subversions of the archetypes that they're drawn from.

Nov 1, 2017
The peak team up was, and always will be: Steve, Robin, Dustin, and Erica. Their group dynamic is far more interesting than the original team of four (Mike, Lucas, Dustin, and Eleven) and they're all top tier subversions of the archetypes that they're drawn from.
I say replace Erica with Nancy. The group needs a big brainy type that meshes well with everyone and gets things done.

Erica is sooooooooo annoying. Sucks the fun out of every scene she's in.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I have seen this before. Maybe the Witcher, or previous Stranger Things. It seems like Netflix scrubbed older intros and replaced them with the new one though, so I can't check.
I think you may be right about the Witcher actually, yeah. Vaguely remember them incorporating something with the Wolf school medallion although that could've been just the show's actual title sequence.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Is Jason written out? Feels odd they'd not find him to be more suspicious but I guess they think he's crazy? I love that he's the speech guy that constantly rallies everyone with a manufactured feel-good story lol

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
Is Jason written out? Feels odd they'd not find him to be more suspicious but I guess they think he's crazy? I love that he's the speech guy that constantly rallies everyone with a manufactured feel-good story lol
Jason has a solid alibi for the 1st murder, and probably one for the 2nd murder as well. Unless there is any evidence suggesting he was actually involved, the police are correct in writing him off.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
I say replace Erica with Nancy. The group needs a big brainy type that meshes well with everyone and gets things done.

Erica is sooooooooo annoying. Sucks the fun out of every scene she's in.
Excuse me sir? Erica is one of the best characters in the show, and is probably smarter than Nancy! And put her life on the line for her country. Even though it was basically child endangerment!

Additionally you literally cannot spell America without Erica.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
I will say, for all the dumb stuff this season brings the good stuff completely outweighs it all. Everything in Hawkins is fucking awesome.