• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Eddie will come back cause death in the UD combined with a death in the regular world will cancel out Eddie's death because Writers logic of "oh damn the fans loved em bring em back!"

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I need Max to have a full recovery.
Vecna preying on the depression felt by abuse victims was already dark enough… then to have Max's escape thwarted by this walking red flag of a religious zealot added to the pain.

My head cannon tells me that Vecna didn't even need to kill his targets to open those gates- he just gets a kick out of doing his signature move. So I'd greatly appreciate Max being the one who got away, thank you.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Eddie will come back cause death in the UD combined with a death in the regular world will cancel out Eddie's death because Writers logic of "oh damn the fans loved em bring em back!"

Literal Kingdom Hearts logic, lol.

I need Max to have a full recovery.
Vecna preying on the depression felt by abuse victims was already dark enough… then to have Max's escape thwarted by this walking red flag of a religious zealot added to the pain.

My head cannon tells me that Vecna didn't even need to kill his targets to open those gates- he just gets a kick out of doing his signature move. So I'd greatly appreciate Max being the one who got away, thank you.

Agreed. Max has suffered enough. Let her find some happiness with Lucas.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any chance that they explore #8 in Season 5? Because that whole side-story just feels like SUCH a waste. We are rewatching S2 now, and I can't stop wondering what the they were thinking.

mantidor

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any chance that they explore #8 in Season 5? Because that whole side-story just feels like SUCH a waste. We are rewatching S2 now, and I can't stop wondering what the they were thinking.

Kali and the Warriors episode were fantastic but people have awful taste and the episode was hated so they just won't touch it, which is the biggest shame.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I think they should have straight up lost at the end, but I guess there had to be a trade off of some kind. It has its flaws, but I think it's the best season.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I really hope Will gets a moment of happiness, or something in Season 5. So far he

Season 1: Gets captured and lives in the upside down for a week, also gets demoslugs implanted in him

Season 2: Possessed by Mind Flayer

Season 3: His friends ditch him

Season 4: His friends do exactly what he wanted to do as soon as he leaves, he's afraid to come out of the closet, he watches El lie to Mike and gets stuck as a very awkward third wheel, and then he becomes a Vecna radar

Please let him be a main character with real agency. He is the most level headed and probably the most kind out of the original four kids

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Poor Will. Hopefully he can have a happy ending in Season 5 somehow.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
why is my twitter feed full of NOAH SCHNAPP CONFIRMS WILL IS GAY?

I saw season 4, the show made it abundantly clear, I don't need the actor to confirm shit... like wtf?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
why is my twitter feed full of NOAH SCHNAPP CONFIRMS WILL IS GAY?

I saw season 4, the show made it abundantly clear, I don't need the actor to confirm shit... like wtf?

1. Despite what audiences say- a lot of people actually do need things pointed out for them
2. I saw enough people who said they were honestly not sure what Will's deal was.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope Will gets a moment of happiness, or something in Season 5. So far he

Season 1: Gets captured and lives in the upside down for a week, also gets demoslugs implanted in him

Season 2: Possessed by Mind Flayer

Season 3: His friends ditch him

Season 4: His friends do exactly what he wanted to do as soon as he leaves, he's afraid to come out of the closet, he watches El lie to Mike and gets stuck as a very awkward third wheel, and then he becomes a Vecna radar

Please let him be a main character with real agency. He is the most level headed and probably the most kind out of the original four kids
He will die, defending Mike from some monster. :(

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
variety.com

‘Stranger Things’ Star Noah Schnapp on Doja Cat, Season 5, and Will’s Sexuality: ‘He Is Gay and He Does Love Mike’ (EXCLUSIVE)

"Stranger Things" star Noah Schnapp discusses Will Byers' struggle to come out on Season 4 and his recent apology to Doja Cat.

Well, that answers that haha.
Reading through the replies on their tweet for this article saying they're shocked and this came out of nowhere.....

obs.gif

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Conditional-Pancakes I forgot to say, but I finished reading the Robin book. It was really good!!!! It even had a spotify audio drama podcast on spotify that went with it as well. I'm going to read the Max book next.

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
Kinda sad it had to be spelled out. My biggest critiques of the show include all the times they cut to the obviously relevant traumatic event that corresponds to the in-the-moment traumatic event happening (Joyce flashing back to Bob getting eaten while Hopper is about to get eaten by a demodog, for example), but I suppose when you have a show that is multi-generational in viewership you really do have to spell out so much shit and assume the audience's baseline for callbacks and story is z e r o.

All I'm saying is watching Better Call Saul after Season 4 (which I really ended up enjoying) is jarring for this reason.

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
Yeah, straight audiences often act in-denial about any character not conforming to their default for sexuality, gender, relationships, and all that unless it's outright stated in the work or in an interview. Call it projection, call it subconscious phobias at work, but it's everywhere and, like, you have viewers actively looking for proof against characters like Will being gay and it's honestly kinda shitty?

Or how about Gus from Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul? Conducting a years-long revenge plot for the murder of, naming a scholarship after, and dedicating a small village complete with memorial fountain to… my best friend lol no homo. But neither show SAID Gus is gay so clearly that brief moment you see kid's toys lying around his house in BB confirms he had a family. Y'know, despite Gus being well-established as a Machiavellian schemer by that point who wouldn't be above "setting the stage" to play on what his guests most value and BCS confirming he lives alone.

Society's not at the point yet where we can trust viewers to figure that shit out on their own, unfortunately

Last edited:
OP
OP
Conditional-Pancakes

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Kinda sad it had to be spelled out. My biggest critiques of the show include all the times they cut to the obviously relevant traumatic event that corresponds to the in-the-moment traumatic event happening (Joyce flashing back to Bob getting eaten while Hopper is about to get eaten by a demodog, for example), but I suppose when you have a show that is multi-generational in viewership you really do have to spell out so much shit and assume the audience's baseline for callbacks and story is z e r o.

All I'm saying is watching Better Call Saul after Season 4 (which I really ended up enjoying) is jarring for this reason.

Yeah, I personally think that media literacy is very, very low these days. For a number of reasons I think, including getting continually distracted (by your phone, etc.) while watching content, Twitter/social media making the discussion about popular pieces of media very homogenized with a lot of people thinking and saying the same things, etc.

Oct 31, 2017
Lmao didn't his own mom bring it up when talking to Hopper in like the first or second episode of the show?

Yeah, and Mike said "it's not my fault you don't like girls" to Will in season three.
It's been there the whole time.

I don't like that Will is in love with Mike, though because where is that going to go?

Season 5 seriously has to be the Will Beyers season. He's been a plot device as much as he's been an actual character and still just hasn't had a really cool or big moment.

I wish Will got to hang out with Eddie, at least.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Robin and Will haven't spent any scenes together, so that will change in Season 5. Given that she's going through the same feelings with band girl, it seems like she'll spot Will.

I wouldn't be surprised if the come to a mutual agreement to come out to their friend at the same time, which would make some good storytelling cuts as they do it.

And Max must recover. Killing or permanently maiming her doesn't help the story, and is just a gratuitously dark ending. She deserves to be happy, more than anyone else on the show, as she's confronted her fear and guilt and learnt to accept herself. Unlike all the others who are full of guilty feelings and regrets.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017

I can't tell you how many times I've pitched shows only to be given notes that I need to simplify and spell things out more. "Beat the audience over the head with it" and exact words I've been told.

It got to the point where, in one show, I added a character specifically to act as exposition and explain things as they were happening, (which I hated, but they asked for it) and I was STILL told I wasn't making it clear enough. It was a show where a character was an empath, and I had color-coded their emotion powers (yellow is happy, blue is sad, red is anger, really basic kid's-level stuff - look at Inside Out) but even having a character blatantly say "be careful you know if you get sad you'll make other people sad" was somehow still too ambiguous. I pitched that show three times and then finally gave up because no matter what I did I couldn't seem to make it dumbed down enough for them. It's fucking depressing.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Bought the max book!!! Also Walmart is so deadly right now I almost walked out with a ST branded speaker/cassette player...

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, straight audiences often act in-denial about any character not conforming to their default for sexuality, gender, relationships, and all that unless it's outright stated in the work or in an interview. Call it projection, call it subconscious phobias at work, but it's everywhere and, like, you have viewers actively looking for proof against characters like Will being gay and it's honestly kinda shitty?

Or how about Gus from Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul? Conducting a years-long revenge plot for the murder of, naming a scholarship after, and dedicating a small village complete with memorial fountain to… my best friend lol no homo. But neither show SAID Gus is gay so clearly that brief moment you see kid's toys lying around his house in BB confirms he had a family. Y'know, despite Gus being well-established as a Machiavellian schemer by that point who wouldn't be above "setting the stage" to play on what his guests most value and BCS confirming he lives alone.

Society's not at the point yet where we can trust viewers to figure that shit out on their own, unfortunately

It's not just an issue with depictions sexuality. Audiences really just generally struggle to pick up on nuance or subtlety. Studios respond by being exceedingly on the nose… and audiences still miss the most obvious things.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It's not just an issue with depictions sexuality. Audiences really just generally struggle to pick up on nuance or subtlety. Studios respond by being exceedingly on the nose… and audiences still miss the most obvious things.

As I'll keep saying. For every one or two people who complain about shows hitting you over the head with stuff... There is a dozen more people who completely missed it.

Like- go look at The Boys, which is 100% unsubtle about what it's about and yet you still had a bunch of people going: "Wait... the villain of the show is actually a terrible person?" unironically after this latest season.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Give her more than a few episodes. She grows on you.

We finished rewatching S2, and I forgot how shitty Billy's dad/stepdad was. Super abusive shit head.

Yeah, by the end of the series, Nancy's biggest crime is Natalia's terrible drunk acting in S2. Anybody who doesn't enjoy Action Nance is not a friend of mine.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, that was BAD.

To be far, faking drunk is probably tough. But still, that was a special kind of terrible, haha.

Speaking as someone who has played drunk, and acted WHILE drunk before, yeah. Drunk acting is really hard. But a lot of people play it like the way they've seen it done, badly, on TV and in sitcoms and shit, and that just exacerbates it all.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking as someone who has played drunk, and acted WHILE drunk before, yeah. Drunk acting is really hard. But a lot of people play it like the way they've seen it done, badly, on TV and in sitcoms and shit, and that just exacerbates it all.
Whats that effect where people see something in media and they assume it's the right way to do it and even if it's inaccurate, it 'feels' wrong to an audience to not have it? IIRC, it originated with how they used coconuts to mimic horse hooves on pavement, and that's apparently not right, but it's the sound that the audience accepts.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017

I listened to an episode of Office Ladies where Jenna said she went out and got drunk for the episode she was supposed to play drunk Pam. The writer or director or someone was with her and recorded her mannerisms, speech patterns, etc so that Jenna could watch them and learn how she ACTUALLY acted while drunk. Strangely effective I think, because in the episode at the Chili's, when she's blankly starring at Jim? I could FEEL the alcohol in that moment, haha.