• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
I'm no expert in CGI, (I don't even know what it means), but how in the world did this season cost 300 mil?
The filmed in multiple locations, one of which was in another country. There is a bunch of different locations and sets this seasonThe length of season also probably also increased cost just in terms of editing and post production. Then you have the actors. Winona and David are getting paid 350k an episode, Millie is getting paid 300k an episode, the D&D boys all are getting 250k each, and Joe, Natalia, and Charlie get 150k an episode. The total is 18,850,00,0, or 7% of your budget on just 9 actors, we are not counting the actors we don't information on their pay. Then you have the directors and producers who take a sizable cut. You also have 2000 others that also worked on the show.

Sep 7, 2018
The filmed in multiple locations, one of which was in another country. There is a bunch of different locations and sets this seasonThe length of season also probably also increased cost just in terms of editing and post production. Then you have the actors. Winona and David are getting paid 350k an episode, Millie is getting paid 300k an episode, the D&D boys all are getting 250k each, and Joe, Natalia, and Charlie get 150k an episode. The total is 18,850,00,0, or 7% of your budget on just 9 actors, we are not counting the actors we don't information on their pay. Then you have the directors and producers who take a sizable cut. You also have 2000 others that also worked on the show.
How you know so much about this show?

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Finally got around to this in hype for part 2, and damn these characters are so awesome. <3 Robin is just rocking even more now that she is really part of the group. Mike's group definitely got the short end of the stick so far, but it was nice seeing how chaotic it is at Suzie's house haha. And yeah, Episode 4 was particularly fantastic with that whole last bit.

God, I love the serious Nightmare on Elm Street vibe this season has, and course you had to throw in Robert Englund somewhere. Can't wait to see how this season ends.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I'm onto Dear Billy for my vol 1 rewatch! Ahhhhhhh

Edit: that finale😭😭😭😭

Last edited:

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
yeah part 2 in less than 72 hours now I think, I'm really tempted to rewatch part 1 again but thats a big chunk of time lol hmmmmm hmmm hmmm

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Jonathan's, Mike's and Will's screen time got massively downgraded.
Also, I'm no expert of the English language, but Erica seems to have a completely different accent than Lucas. Which I thought was weird since they are brothers and sisters.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Well... At least speaking for myself as an American... Tomorrow night... The end of Season 4!!! :D

Will it be 3 AM EDT tho or 12 AM EDT?

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
Finished watching episode 4, it definitely lived up with all the hype around it. It reminded me that I need to pay a debt from many years ago: Discover more about Kate Bush music lol

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
What is wrong with season 2 other than that one episode, constantly see people hate on season 2 without explaining why other than episode 7 being bad.
A majority of people will just point to S2E7 while ignoring the rest of it. I rewatched the first three seasons recently and that episode is legitimately the only actually bad one in season 2.

My only complaint with it other than that would be the introduction of Erica, who was bearable as a character when she showed up about as often as Ted Wheeler, but has become extremely grating after receiving an upgraded role since season 3.

Oct 27, 2017
What is wrong with season 2 other than that one episode, constantly see people hate on season 2 without explaining why other than episode 7 being bad.

I haven't watched it since release but I remember feeling S2 just felt like warmed-up leftovers of S1, except this time we don't have a demogorgon, we have demodogs. Felt more like a second season out of obligation rather than any creative or story impetus. S3 felt a bit better, but S4 at least feels like they had a story to tell that was worth telling.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm no expert in CGI, (I don't even know what it means), but how in the world did this season cost 300 mil?
- There are more visual effects in the final episode of Volume 2 than there is in the entirety of Season 3, Then you have 8 episodes full of visual effects on top of that.

- Large ensemble cast that have big pay checks and contracts, They were likely paid extra when covid delayed filming to keep their contracts going as well.

- Filming was done in both the US and Lithuania, US filming was done in Atlanta and Georgia with establishing shots filmed in places like New Mexico. Extended shoots in multiple states and countries isn't cheap.

- A lot of the Upside Down effects are practical as well and use their own custom built sets.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It just dawned on me that we should be getting the official OST release for S4 on Friday as well. Really excited for that.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017

Gonna be real with you - Steve's dead. I'm calling it. I saw him marked for death ever since he got caught with those bat things and the discussion of rabies and then the noticable cough he got when he found Eddie's house.

He's dead. He's probably going to die via heroic sacrifice, the signs are all there, and we'll never get to see him hanging out with Robin again 😭

Protect all of them!*

*except Will and Mike
I don't care for Jonathan.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Will just brings me down. You could say...upside down.

I figured Will might get some heat but I knew there would be no defence of Mike.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Will's been through enough. Let the dude live his best life. But yeah, Mike is free to go at any time.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be real with you - Steve's dead. I'm calling it. I saw him marked for death ever since he got caught with those bat things and the discussion of rabies and then the noticable cough he got when he found Eddie's house.

He's dead. He's probably going to die via heroic sacrifice, the signs are all there, and we'll never get to see him hanging out with Robin again 😭

I don't care for Jonathan.

The bats/rabies thing is nothing btw. They were asked about it in an interview with Variety and the Duffers said not to worry about the bats, and if he dies he'll die in a different way lmao. (20:21 in this interview:)

Steve isn't safe by any means but I still just feel like it'd be too predictable to have Steve die in some heroic sacrifice. People have said that he'd die that way every season since end of S1 lol. If anything I feel like Jonathan might be the one to bite it.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
The bats/rabies thing is nothing btw. They were asked about it in an interview with Variety and the Duffers said not to worry about the bats, and if he dies he'll die in a different way lmao. (20:21 in this interview:)

Steve isn't safe by any means but I still just feel like it'd be too predictable to have Steve die in some heroic sacrifice. People have said that he'd die that way every season since end of S1 lol. If anything I feel like Jonathan might be the one to bite it.

Jonathan dying so they can push Nancy and Steve back together would be some terrible writing.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Dang, I just caught up. People don't like Jonathan? Granted, I'm pretty meh on him since he took those creepy pics in season 1 but I thought people would be OK with him.

He's honestly probably the most boring of the leads, he's always the plus-one to another story. Nancy is a plot driver, but Jonathan is always a plot passenger, if you know what I mean.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
He's honestly probably the most boring of the leads, he's always the plus-one to another story. Nancy is a plot driver, but Jonathan is always a plot passenger, if you know what I mean.
He worked best as a foil to Steve in my opinion. The more Steve slowly developed as a nice, caring person, the less important Jonathan became to the dynamic. And now of course, Steve's status in the group is S tier. Jonathan being relegated to comedy relief might be for the best.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He worked best as a foil to Steve in my opinion. The more Steve slowly developed as a nice, caring person, the less important Jonathan became to the dynamic. And now of course, Steve's status in the group is S tier. Jonathan being relegated to comedy relief might be for the best.

Jonathan is comedy relief?

Dang, I just caught up. People don't like Jonathan? Granted, I'm pretty meh on him since he took those creepy pics in season 1 but I thought people would be OK with him.

I just don't have any strong opinions on him either way aside from like you said, frowning on him doing those creepy pics

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
I think that Steve probably a lot of what Jonathan was going to get when they ended up not killing Steve in season 1. Originally Steve was going to die and it was going to be Lonnie who came back at helped Nancy and Jonathan fight the Demogorgon in the house.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think that Steve probably a lot of what Jonathan was going to get when they ended up not killing Steve in season 1. Originally Steve was going to die and it was going to be Lonnie who came back at helped Nancy and Jonathan fight the Demogorgon in the house.

The main thing they had planned for Jonathan in S1 was "getting the girl", which he did in S2. There wasn't a huge amount of post-S1 stuff written by that point. Steve just has better chemistry with the rest of the cast so he got progressively more to do, whereas Jonathan really only works with Nancy and Will, limiting his usability.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
The twist this season will be that Hopper is actually dead and in the afterlife. Joyce and Murray died in the plane crash and they are also in the afterlife,

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Almost done with my ST3 rewatch, and man, it is very funny to me that the mega Mindflayer is almost identical to a D&D boss I came up with when I was 14.

Not knocking the Duffers for that - "composite flesh monster made of the population of a town" isn't the MOST unique concept. But it does amuse me greatly that we both arrived at basically the same concept through D&D.