• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't disagree. I like Max more this season than ever because they have taken time to add depth to her.

But I am never thinking "oh boy they're in trouble" and it takes me out of it. Offing Max would have done that, in a similar way Game of Thrones ignored plot armor in its earlier seasons.

It was obvious Eleven didn't commit the crimes in the opening scene, and solving that would be unlocked her. No real surprises anywhere. Never left wondering "oh shit I wonder how this will play out".

Game of Thrones wasn't killing characters off for shock value in early seasons. The early season deaths were all pivotal to the development of the story, because that was the story George was telling. I don't think George thinks of characters in terms of "who has plot armor and who doesn't" - for him it's just "the story calls for this, so unfortunately Catelyn has to die". Can it be shocking? Absolutely. But I don't think George approached it from the territory of "gotta keep the readers on their toes and kill people to surprise them!' All of the setup for the Red Wedding is very clear in retrospect.

By comparison, I don't think Stranger Things is the kind of show that would WORK if characters were being offed left and right, especially just because they finished their character arcs. If a main character is going to die, it has to mean something to the narrative beyond "nobody is safe!"

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
Game of Thrones wasn't killing characters off for shock value in early seasons. The early season deaths were all pivotal to the development of the story, because that was the story George was telling. I don't think George thinks of characters in terms of "who has plot armor and who doesn't" - for him it's just "the story calls for this, so unfortunately Catelyn has to die". Can it be shocking? Absolutely. But I don't think George approached it from the territory of "gotta keep the readers on their toes and kill people to surprise them!' All of the setup for the Red Wedding is very clear in retrospect.

By comparison, I don't think Stranger Things is the kind of show that would WORK if characters were being offed left and right, especially just because they finished their character arcs. If a main character is going to die, it has to mean something to the narrative beyond "nobody is safe!"
I am not saying doing it randomly. But in GOT stories would take unexpected turns because the perfectly set up narrative would get upended and you'd be left going "Well shit...I have no idea where this will go".

I'm not saying characters need to be offed everywhere. Hopper not staying dead after 3 was a bad indicator of what was to come. But when you have one-liners for every life and death situation, it is not a surprise when it's hard to get that invested in the drama. I know the meta explanation is "it's their fourth time dealing with this" - but that's not that satisfying when the characters are just going through the motions every time something happens.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I am not saying doing it randomly. But in GOT stories would take unexpected turns because the perfectly set up narrative would get upended and you'd be left going "Well shit...I have no idea where this will go".

I'm not saying characters need to be offed everywhere. Hopper not staying dead after 3 was a bad indicator of what was to come. But when you have one-liners for every life and death situation, it is not a surprise when it's hard to get that invested in the drama. I know the meta explanation is "it's their fourth time dealing with this" - but that's not that satisfying when the characters are just going through the motions every time something happens.

Honestly, I think Max's survival was framed perfectly. There were no one-liners, no jokes afterward. She was legitimately in danger in that moment and her character growth and her bonds with her friends were what gave her the strength that kept her alive. "I'm still here" was a perfect way to end that moment and I think it was significantly more impactful than having Vecna just kill her then and there and then she's gone for the rest of the show.

I'm sure we will see someone die this season, though it will probably be Eddie because charismatic new characters tend to get killed in this show. Brenner and Owens are also likely absolutely fucked.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, I think Max's survival was framed perfectly. There were no one-liners, no jokes afterward. She was legitimately in danger in that moment and her character growth and her bonds with her friends were what gave her the strength that kept her alive. "I'm still here" was a perfect way to end that moment and I think it was significantly more impactful than having Vecna just kill her then and there and then she's gone for the rest of the show.

I'm sure we will see someone die this season, though it will probably be Eddie because charismatic new characters tend to get killed in this show. Brenner and Owens are also likely absolutely fucked.
Again, I don't disagree. I think it was a wonderful moment and made me like her character more. It's just a general thing in ST. You end episode 6 with Steve in the upside down being eaten, and you know it won't matter in the next episode. It's not just Max - it's just the show as a whole. When the non-main characters deal with Vechna - it's quick and brutal. Nancy will be given every chance to escape the pool, Max was...etc. etc.

Still enjoying - just wish the stakes could be real ever.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017

I think Owen might live because I think he is the only one who can get the military off El's back.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I'm new to this series but just basically marathoned all the way from season 1 to the latest released.

The one character that I'm really surprised at finding to be REALLY likable is Steve, especially considering how he started.

If there is ONE character I want to see survive the most, it's him hahaha.

Him >>≥>>>>>>>> Jonathan by like a HUGE margin lol.

Sakon

Jul 19, 2019
On episode 7 now. Anyone else notice after Eddie gives Steve his denim jacket they fall to the ground and he's still wearing the jacket in one shot? lol

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I think the long break since season 3 made it easy to overlook some issues I have with season 4 when now watching them all in one.

Robin is flanderized to hell and back, Mike and Dustin are DnD nerds again after dissing Will for wanting to play it last season, Dr. Brenner's and Billy's history is white-washed significantly to enable Max's grief for her abusive, racist stepbrother she not only hated but was terrified of, Nancy suddenly loves Steve after the show really not pushing that idea whatsoever previouly, so every character now has to comment on it everytime either of them is on screen to have us believe it etc.

Season 3 previously flanderized Hopper, who up to that point was a flawed, but ultimately kind person with an aggressive trait, in order to turn him into a caring dad action hero. But this season goes beyond with these kind of character retcons.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
and Billy's history is white-washed significantly to enable Max's grief for her abusive, racist stepbrother she not only hated but was terrified of
I honestly think this is why I am not such a huge fan of episode 4 as everyone else is. The emotional payoff didn't work on me at all because I didn't find it believable that Max would grieve over Billy and feel guilty to that level.

Also I don't care one whit about that stupid song :P

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think the long break since season 3 made it easy to overlook some issues I have with season 4 when now watching them all in one.

Robin is flanderized to hell and back, Mike and Dustin are DnD nerds again after dissing Will for wanting to play it last season, Dr. Brenner's and Billy's history is white-washed significantly to enable Max's grief for her abusive, racist stepbrother she not only hated but was terrified of, Nancy suddenly loves Steve after the show really not pushing that idea whatsoever previouly, so every character now has to comment on it everytime either of them is on screen to have us believe it etc.

Season 3 previously flanderized Hopper, who up to that point was a flawed, but ultimately kind person with an aggressive trait, in order to turn him into a caring dad action hero. But this season goes beyond with these kind of character retcons.

I dunno, it seemed pretty cleanly established that Mike and Dustin pretty much failed to break out of their nerd role once they reached high school. Mike, no longer having Eleven around to use as a prop to make himself feel better about his nerdiness (seriously, Mike is generally a pretty bad friend after season 2), reverted back to the way he was before and Dustin followed him. Lucas and Max both moved on, but Mike and Dustin had nowhere to go, so they found shelter in what was safe and familiar. That felt real to me.

And Max's whole emotional state about Billy was way more complex than just grief about him being dead. She was grappling with the fact that some part of her was (understandably) happy he died, which is something a teenager isn't exactly equipped to deal with, especially when her support system is a largely absentee mom who she can't actually talk to about what happened, and a therapist who can't possibly understand what she went through.

OP
OP
Conditional-Pancakes

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
😬

www.yahoo.com

'Stranger Things' fans should brace themselves after Noah Schnapp confirms 'some deaths' are coming

This isn't the first time Schnapp accidentally let something slip as his cast members now call him the "Tom Holland of Stranger Things."
"The whole cast has been on the show. They call you the Tom Holland of Stranger Things, because you spoil everything. All the secrets," laughed Jimmy Fallon. Schnapp admitted that he isn't great about keeping spoilers under wraps and shared that he recently made another mistake on his Instagram account.
And on Thursday, he sort of gave viewers another big tease, when he explained what fans can expect from Stranger Things, Volume 2.

"You can expect from Volume Two, we've got some deaths coming, some gore, and a big–" Fallon then cut Schnapp off, as he said, "Wow, that's a big spoiler. Dude, you just said something that you can't say!"

"No, but I didn't say who," Schnapp quickly replied. Fallon then pointed out that there aren't that many big characters to choose from, to which Schnapp stated, "Well, you guys can assume that, obviously, somebody's going to…"

Fortunately, viewers didn't get any mega spoilers because, in the end, Schnapp eventually decided to play it safe by just staying quiet and not saying any more strange things.

"Someone or some people," asked Fallon.

"Well, I'm done here because you're scaring me," stated Schnapp.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I mean yeah. Russian Jaqen needs to die, and so does Jason and (probably, unfortunately) Eddie.

There are plenty of deaths coming. We all know that.

Oct 26, 2017
Brenner and Owens are probably dead
Enzo definitely a goner and Murray might bite the bullet too
Argyle might die cause I don't know wtf they'll do with him beyond this road trip stuff
Eddie probably dying
Jason probably dying

Anyone additional deaths I have no idea on. Hoping with all my heart that both Max and Lucas live. Steve has had a lot of death flags but I also feel like he's the show's darling do they might fear killing him off. Maybe one of the parents bites the dust but I doubt it.

Joyce and Hopper are safe. El is safe from death (although I'm starting to think she might get posessed). Will and Jonathan aren't dying away from Joyce so they're safe. Mike is probably safe. Dustin is SUPER safe. Erica ain't getting killed off. Robin definitely isn't getting killed off (would be insane to kill your only female queer character). And Nancy is most likely safe.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

That's why I think S4 is a big retcon, they are rethreading old ground to tell the story they originally planned to tell by having a second go at it. Eleven is going through S2E7 all over again.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I can tell you exactly how the show will end.

Karen is going to find out about the Upside Down, the Mind Flayer, Vecna and all of the past events.

Then she's going to open up a can of pissed of 80s mom and have all the inhabitants of the Upside Down scrambling in fear to the point where they'll close all contact with our world.

All while Ted stares off into the distance confused.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Just caught up

And yo CHILL with the Eddie dying stuff 😭 hope he lives

I mean I want Eddie to stick around too, but dude's got the entire town hunting for him AND, most importantly, he's the charming new guy character. Those guys don't have a particularly stellar survival rate in this show.

I'm starting to get a feeling that Jason is going to somehow find his way into the Upside Down version of Creel House and kill (or at least severely wound) Eddie when the gang is trying to attack Vecna on his own turf, and the disruption caused by that ambush is what ruins the gang's plan and puts them into crisis mode.

Brenner and Owens are probably dead
Enzo definitely a goner and Murray might bite the bullet too
Argyle might die cause I don't know wtf they'll do with him beyond this road trip stuff
Eddie probably dying
Jason probably dying

Anyone additional deaths I have no idea on. Hoping with all my heart that both Max and Lucas live. Steve has had a lot of death flags but I also feel like he's the show's darling do they might fear killing him off. Maybe one of the parents bites the dust but I doubt it.

Joyce and Hopper are safe. El is safe from death (although I'm starting to think she might get posessed). Will and Jonathan aren't dying away from Joyce so they're safe. Mike is probably safe. Dustin is SUPER safe. Erica ain't getting killed off. Robin definitely isn't getting killed off (would be insane to kill your only female queer character). And Nancy is most likely safe.

I think Max is safe unless Sadie really, really wants to leave the show to do other things, and I honestly can't imagine anyone is like...BEGGING to leave when they know next season is the last. They know they have their exit ramp, so there's no pressure to bail. This ain't a CW show.

I do kind of love the idea of the season ending with the Mind Flayer taking over El and she's the "villain" for the first half of the final season, though. They need to do something new with her and that would be a nice way to change her up. Especially since the ST4-2 trailer blatantly telegraphs she's leaving NINA before she finishes her "training".

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I can tell you exactly how the show will end.

Karen is going to find out about the Upside Down, the Mind Flayer, Vecna and all of the past events.

Then she's going to open up a can of pissed of 80s mom and have all the inhabitants of the Upside Down scrambling in fear to the point where they'll close all contact with our world.

All while Ted stares off into the distance confused.
4c8893bb09a082c6b977f35b767c295cabc26d11.gifv

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Think the funniest part of the season for me is Steve questioning what Mordor is. So good.

Love the new characters. Max and Robin are probably my fav out of the main group, though they are all strong (sans Mike and Will). Season 4 > 3 > 1 > 2 for me

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished season 4 part 1, another very good episode
Funny how the main characters of previous seasons are now the side characters (Mike, Will, Jonathan)
Hopefully part 2 they figure out how to utilize them better
I would give season 4 an 8.5/10 overall, much much improved from season 3 which I don't remember much

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit. I forgot about season 5. Lol

Was watching this the whole time thinking it's a weak last season. I feel better now because the whole season had a COVID feel with all the separate plots that felt unnecessary.

OP
OP
Conditional-Pancakes

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
I posted this in another thread, but I guess I'll post it here too because I just don't get why so many people are saying they don't like the Russia storyline in S4.

Personnaly, I really like Hopper, I care about the character. So I want him to be free, I'm invested. Also, this part has Winona Ryder as Joy that I absolutely adore, and Murray is genuinely hilarious. Also, Tom Wlaschiha is killing it.

Personally, I think there is just so much emotional attachment to so many characters in this storyline to just not care. I like what we've seen so far.

But you know, I also love all the Suzie stuff. So maybe I'm watching Stranger Things differently than some people, lol! :p

Last edited:

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I postet this in another thread, but I guess I'll post it here too because I just don't get why so many people are saying they don't like the Russia storyline in S4.

Personnaly, I really like Hopper, I care about the character. So I want him to be free, I'm invested. Also, this part has Winona Ryder as Joy that I absolutely adore, and Murray is genuinely hilarious. Also, Tom Wlaschiha is killing it.

Personally, I think there is just so much emotional attachment to so many characters in this storyline to just not care. I liked what we've seen so far.

But you know, I also love all the Suzie stuff. So maybe I'm watching Stranger Things differently than some people, lol! :p
Yeah I think the Russia storyline has been really enjoyable. It's been interesting to see Hopper out of his element and there have been some great sequences like the prison break and the demogorgon fight. Plus Hopper's monologue where he talks about Vietnam and his daughter was heartbreaking.

I've seen some people say they dislike Murray and he definitely brings a very specific flavor of humor to the show so I guess I can understand him being divisive, but I think he's absolutely hilarious. He's been one of the highlights of this season IMO. Brett Gelman is just effortlessly funny.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
I postet this in another thread, but I guess I'll post it here too because I just don't get why so many people are saying they don't like the Russia storyline in S4.

Personally, I think there is just so much emotional attachment to so many characters in this storyline to just not care. I like what we've seen so far.

My problem is that it feels very disconnected to the rest of the story, maybe that will change in volume 2. For now, it just feels like they didn't know what to do with the adult characters and so they created this extra story for them to be out of the way. Even the California group at least has them going to save El, who is going to be the one who ends up fighting Vecna in the end.

OP
OP
Conditional-Pancakes

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Cool interview with Joseph Quinn (Eddie):

www.theguardian.com

Joseph Quinn of Stranger Things: ‘My wig is objectively ridiculous’

The British actor on getting texts from Winona Ryder, researching his character Eddie Munson through the medium of thrash metal and the show’s ‘monster’ final episode

You're getting rave reviews for Stranger Things. Are you proud?

I'm relieved, really, that's the overriding feeling. The show represents my pandemic. At the end of my first day's filming in Atlanta, we went into lockdown. I went home and lost my mind like everyone else. When I went back, it was a completely different experience because I couldn't come home [to the UK], so I became very close to the cast. That's the best thing about this business. You go to a strange place and meet a bunch of strangers. You leave with a fondness for the place and some dear friends.
The climactic two episodes of the series are shrouded in secrecy. Can you tell us about them?

The thing is, they've got my family tied up somewhere and if I spoil anything, I'll never see them again. No, I can say there's a guitar scene and that the scale and ambition are astonishing. All the seeds that have been planted bear fruit and it's just carnage. You know the finale is two-and-a-half hours, right? Ending with this monster, feature-length episode is so bold.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I dont think Eddie will die. Yeah the town is after him but honestly there are so many plot holes in this show, I am sure they will explain it away really easily. I really enjoyed season 4 thus far. I think Vecna is a great villain and really hooked me starting from Episode 1.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
My problem is that it feels very disconnected to the rest of the story, maybe that will change in volume 2. For now, it just feels like they didn't know what to do with the adult characters and so they created this extra story for them to be out of the way. Even the California group at least has them going to save El, who is going to be the one who ends up fighting Vecna in the end.

I don't think it's helped that the storyline is needlessly inflated so the characters have something to do all season. Like, when the pilot betrayed them, I rolled my eyes because I realised we were now getting stuck with it for longer. It's not bad, but it doesn't do much. The Cali storyline post-Eleven leaving at least exists almost purely for comic relief.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like in the season finale, 11 kills Vecna/Henry/01 and then absorbs his powers. Military comes in and tries to kill her but end up killing Mike instead because he shoves her out of the way or something. 11 goes crazy and transforms into a monster which leads into the final season. OR maybe Mike lives and 11 still becomes evil, I feel like that's just going to happen.