• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Max's whole episode was probably the highlight of the whole series for me so far, very powerful. This season is just as good if not better then 3.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Max's whole episode was probably the highlight of the whole series for me so far, very powerful. This season is just as good if not better then 3.

Max in general very quickly became one of my favorite characters in the show, same with Eddie. Honestly, as someone who just marathoned the entire show (I had just seen season 1 before), I like a lot of the characters added to the cast later on more than I do the OG cast (outside of Steve and Nancy, who are my favorite overall).

Tigel

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished episode 7. Good season so far, I liked the Vecna reveal.
It feels very bloated, though, way too many subplots. Also, some CGI shots look rough. At 30 millions per episode, I expected better.

Max in general very quickly became one of my favorite characters in the show, same with Eddie. Honestly, as someone who just marathoned the entire show (I had just seen season 1 before), I like a lot of the characters added to the cast later on more than I do the OG cast (outside of Steve and Nancy, who are my favorite overall).
The writers' ability to integrate new characters into the show year to year is one of their biggest strengths. It's so common for later additions to stick out like a sore thumb, but it's easy to forget that people like Max and Robin weren't here the whole time.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Dug S4 so far, but man that Joyce/Murray/Hopper group is not doing anything for me. Joyce and Hopper are so good in the first couple seasons and now they're comic relief and uninteresting side plot.

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
Season four so far is easily my favorite…hoping that they land the ending. Count me in the group who despite loving the new characters, wasn't a fan of season three (the Russian subplot and odd humor choices felt off).

Feb 16, 2022
Finally finished Volume 1 so I can hop into this thread.

Loved it. I think they're getting stronger by the season. Max was already a favorite, but S4 just skyrocketed her status for me. Robin's increased screentime also did her good, and I surprisingly really like Eddie. Steve is still great, but I wish they'd tone down his exasperation a bit since at times it almost felt like he really didn't want to be part of the gang, in a mean way.

I wonder how they're gonna resolve Eddie's plotline without killing him off. Convincing the townspeople of his innocence is gonna be hard. Jason's probably gonna bite it, though.

Aug 12, 2019
Season 4's greatest accomplishment is reminding me why I liked Season 1 so much all those years ago. It's a testament to the quality of Season 4 at its highest moments, it's just a shame that the season also has what might be the lowest moments of the show in the California subplot that is obviously developing, but feels like it serves to just throw 3 characters the show doesn't know what to do with anymore out on some side quest. I also just don't buy Jonathan's massive character change and it feels like a shame to suddenly be pushing the love triangle with Steve again.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
I never got the "no discussion" argument. Just look at the ST Reddit, where every episode has its own thread with 2-4k comments, and there's 12k people online right now talking about the show. And that's just one forum. There's plenty of discussion.

Also, something I saw on YT a few days ago:

aKzhe92.png

The "weekly releases are better" thing just seems like another Era bubble.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Episode 5 ending with Max was easily one of the best moments in this show. What an incredible scene imo with earned build up.

Oct 27, 2017
Finished up last night. I enjoyed it, but they really lost the plot for Mike, Will, and Jonathan. Basically reduced to "Eleven's boyfriend", "permanent third wheel", and "relationship issues". There's some major hints they could do something interesting with them in Part 2, but we'll see.

Will had that interesting arc when he joined the main cast about not wanting to leave their fantasy childhood and tearing down the fort, etc, that could have led to some major character development, but we just haven't seen it.

The 'gangs doing their own separate things' didn't really work for me this season. I absolutely love Dustin/Robin/Steve/Max together and Eddie is pretty great too, so I enjoyed their adventures a lot. Robin especially makes a great fun partner for anyone she's paired with, and I genuinely love her relationship with Steve. I'm not particularly interested with the stuff concerning Hopper, Joyce and Murray - I was disinterested in the Russian plotline last season and it's still not interesting for me this season either. Elle's stuff in the lab is pretty good (the payoff in episode 7 was actually great and worthwhile), but it really feels like they had nothing to do for Will, Mike and Jonathan this season. I think the only scene I liked with them was when they re-affirmed their friendship, because up until that point they didn't really feel much like friends.

I also feel like the episodes drag a little too much. My wife and I watched one episode per night but at ~75 minutes for some of them it's almost like watching a film per night, and I fell asleep on more than one occasion. Anyway, regardless of all this it's definitely the strongest season since the first and I am looking forward to the final two episodes.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Dug S4 so far, but man that Joyce/Murray/Hopper group is not doing anything for me. Joyce and Hopper are so good in the first couple seasons and now they're comic relief and uninteresting side plot.

I would literally pull out my phone and check twitter/resetera when they hopped to that sub-plot.

It misses the mark so much compared to the rest of what is happening, it almost feels like it was made by a different team or something.
It's slow moving and not interesting in any meaningful way/

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Eleven being almost entirely hidden away in a flashback subplot for 7 episodes that does nothing but build up a obvious twist at the end is a real bummer to me.

It really seems like I'm watching 4 shows at the same time, with only one being a Stranger Things episode and all the other ones feeling like weird webisode distractions. I absolutely couldn't believe it when they seriously recaptured Hopper just to throw him in another prison. There is so, so much wheel spinning devoid of character or plot development.

I did enjoy it a lot more than S2 and S3 because I really do enjoy the darker atmosphere and actual core group hunting after the mystery. But gosh. This could have been a 6 episode season easily if you cut away all the stuff I didn't really care for and allowed the characters to actually work together instead of all just having their own separate adventures and shows.

OP
OP
Conditional-Pancakes

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Stranger Things 4 has now become Netflix's most-watched English language series ever.

"Stranger Things 4 continues to break records as it turns the world upside down. In the third week, the Hawkins crew pulled in an additional 159.24M hours viewed. The series has also cemented itself as the Most Popular English-language TV series on Netflix with an astounding 781.04M hours viewed, the first English language series to do so in this period of time."
bloody-disgusting.com

“Stranger Things 4” Has Now Become Netflix’s Most-Watched English Language Series Ever

The wait was long for “Stranger Things 4,” which finally came to Netflix over Memorial Day Weekend. The first volume of Season 4 episodes is shattering records for the streaming service, with Netflix announcing that it’s their most-watched English language series in history. “Stranger Things 4...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Older teens may be at risk, but they'd be dumb to kill any from "kid" age group. It's just not supposed to be that kind of show.

I mean the kids COULD still die, theoretically. I think we're past the point where they have infinite plot armor while Steve/Nancy/Robin are constantly in danger of dying.

My point is more that if they kill off any of the main characters, they're not going to pull "the black kid dies first" horror cliche.

Aegus

Oct 29, 2017
It feels like they kind of fucked up in season 3 by having some of the characters leave Hawkins just to spend most/all season 4 to bring them back.

Pointless in the end.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I would literally pull out my phone and check twitter/resetera when they hopped to that sub-plot.

It misses the mark so much compared to the rest of what is happening, it almost feels like it was made by a different team or something.
It's slow moving and not interesting in any meaningful way/

Their plot is obviously building up to be important for the final episodes, same as the california subplot.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
With that amount of makeup on Vecna, I wonder if they just shoot his scenes for the entire season in one go.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
That Vecna makeup looks sooooo coool.

And those BTS pics would make good avatars just sayin

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
And then he had to shoot for hours after that.

Yeah. Imagine having that much shit on your body, FOR HOURS, sweating into it the whole time. No ability to scratch itches and minimal ability to go to the bathroom.

I don't know if I'd ever be able to play a prosthetics-heavy part. My SPD and claustrophobia would probably either COMPLETELY break my brain, or I would be forced to overcome both by sheer force of total immersion.

El meso

Oct 27, 2017
I heard about how good Ep 4 was....but Man i was not prepared, that was too good!

Max is The most human Character of them all and tied up as my favorite on The show with my boy Dustin

mantidor

Oct 25, 2017
Prediction; I don't think Eddie is dying this season, and wouldn't be surprised if no main characters die, mostly for a very simple reason.

The initial reveal of the Hellfire Club's campaign was under the context that the odds the party were facing were next to impossible. Eddie's campaign was considered sadistic, simply because it'd make for a better story. They wouldn't be able to complete their campaign without their full party, and they only finished the campaign by defeating Vecna with a hail mary. Ever since then the close calls that the Hawkins group has faced have been numerous; Max almost dies, Eddie evades Jason, Steve manages to survive getting ripped apart, etc. More than ever the Hawkins group feel like they're going through their own sadistic D&D campaign, and the original campaign at the start of the season depicted an absolute odds-defying victory. It's not the first time Stranger Things did that kind of parable; the first season's campaign abruptly gets cut short right before Will admits the Demogorgon got him, and that's what ends up happening in the series as well.

Given Stranger Things 4 has by far been the series at its most darkest yet, that sort of reflects on the season's opening campaign. I also expect that to reflect in the season's conclusion, even if we know it still won't be the end until Season 5.

Absolutely. The first season also ended up with the kids playing another D&D campaign, where they killed a Demogorgon, and Mike as the DM said that was the end of the campaign, and the rest kept asking "that cant be the end right? what happened to x and y and z" which were clear allusions to characters with unfinished plotlines in the series, as a subtle way to leave a cliffhanger besides Will vomiting demo-slugs (they had no idea if they would get renewed at that point I guess). The parallels to D&D are very central to the whole narrative.

Killing characters is one of the many wrongly learned lessons of the shitshow that was GoT, this season the show proved you can up the stakes without having to kill anyone with the Max plot and her anti-chekhov letters lol