• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
www.avclub.com

Noah Schnapp lays out Will Byers' sexuality for the subtext-deficient

"It’s 100% clear that he is gay and he does love Mike,” the Stranger Things star confirmed
Stranger Things has never been especially subtle about the sexuality of Noah Schnapp's character Will Byers; hints that he was gay (and closeted) first popped up as early as the show's first season, and have steadily increased until season 4, when he all but spells out his love for his best friend, Mike, in an emotional late-season conversation. Even so, Schnapp has now given an interview to Variety this week in which he lays out Will's identity for the subtext-deficient in the audience, who somehow weren't picking up what the show was very clearly putting down, i.e., "It's 100% clear that he is gay and he does love Mike."

To be fair, Schnapp was less forthright about Will's sexuality earlier this year, when, in May, he declared that it was "up to the audience's interpretation." Now, though, he clarifies that a) he was trying to avoid spoiling the rest of the upcoming season, which was released in two parts this year, and b) that he didn't want to say anything that would later turn out to be untrue, since series creators Matt and Ross Duffer actually don't tell him much about their future plans for plot points or character beats: "They obviously don't tell me anything, either. I'm always spoiling stuff, so they will never share anything with me. So it's a lot of figuring it out on my own."

During the conversation, Schnapp also touched on the emotional scene in which Will indirectly lays out his feelings for Mike, framing his emotions as the hypothetical feelings of his adopted sister, Eleven. He also reveals that a follow-up scene, in which Will's brother Jonathan offers him acceptance, wasn't originally in the show's script, but was added by the Duffers after seeing Schnapp and Charlie Heaton's performances. "They were like, we need a scene with that. So they wrote it as we were filming."

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
El will be deep diving to find Mike in Season 5 but only to find hes with Will in his room, alone doing a one D&D one-shot

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
Mike has been so shitty/dismissive toward Will for a couple seasons already.
I 100% don't buy that Will would ever crush on Mike. There's nothing there to crush on.
Will just wants the gang to get back together and play D&D like old times.

I really dislike what they've done to Will's character. They've given Dustin his long distance girlfriend - why not give Will a shot at someone who would be receptive to him?

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
That people could get through Season 3 without realizing is hilarious.
That people could get through Season 4 without realizing is ridiculous.
What did people think the scene where he turns away from Mike crying after encouraging him about his relationship with Eleven was about? Or the part where his brother noticed that and then gave him a speech later on about how he'll love him no matter what. Like... really?
(I say this knowing someone who didn't pick up on it lol)

Side-Note though: kind of defeats the purpose of putting "Spoilers" in the thread title when the thread title itself IS the spoiler. Like, what else are you protecting people from with that tag? Though this was trending anyway so I guess it is what it is.

I 100% don't buy that Will would ever crush on Mike. There's nothing there to crush on.

I really dislike what they've done to Will's character. They've given Dustin his long distance girlfriend - why not give Will a shot at someone who would be receptive to him?
Keep in mind that despite the actor's ages only like one or two years have passed at all in the show's timeline. To Will this new distant and dismissive Mike is a newer development in his past six months or so and he's liked him since they were kids. Rewatch the end of Season 2 and you've got Mike's whole character arc revolving around how he was Will's best friend and the story of how they met. It makes a bit more sense that way.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's been pretty obvious, but I don't think anyone involved with the show has actually confirmed it before.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I haven't, so I don't know what this is in reference to, but I believe you. I've been consistently baffled by how little people apparently pay attention since LOST ended a decade ago and people thought the ending of the show was saying they were dead the whole time despite a character literally saying plainly that isn't what happened.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Duh. Does everything has to be spelled out for people to get it? It's pretty obvious.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix

I mean, you like who you like, and Mike is his closest friend, or at least was. It does make sense.

Not that I disagree with you that Mike is mostly a dick lately.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't, so I don't know what this is in reference to, but I believe you. I've been consistently baffled by how little people apparently pay attention since LOST ended a decade ago and people thought the ending of the show was saying they were dead the whole time despite a character literally saying plainly that isn't what happened.

The Boys is hyper critical of right-wing politics and figures, but it wasn't until this recent season that some actually realized that due to them having an extremely racist character that targets black people who gave a racist speech and then started yelling "All Lives Matter".

Big Tent Expat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Robin gave a whole speech on how hard it is to be gay in a small town in the 1980's that I'm pretty sure applies to Will too. I'd imagine having to live in secret limits dating options.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
The story isn't that Will is gay.

The story is that he can't be with who he truly loves, because Mike is in love with El and he completely poured his heart out to her in front of Will.

Next season SHOULD be about Will moving on and giving up this crush he has that will never blossom.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
The real question is why have they been stringing the Will character arc along so anemically for two seasons now? I know S1 and S2 were ostensibly focused heavily on him, but they've completely shoved him to the back of the group. The character/actor deserves better and I hope they re-balance things in S5.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that continues to baffle me is how often people are like "How has he not come out yet?" as though Will Byers isn't a gay teenage boy from Smalltown, USA at the height of the AIDS panic in 1986.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
The Boys is hyper critical of right-wing politics and figures, but it wasn't until this recent season that some actually realized that due to them having an extremely racist character that targets black people who gave a racist speech and then started yelling "All Lives Matter".
Ah yes the "racist white people unironically singing Killing in the Name by Rage Against the Machine" effect. Love to see it.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017

I'm a fan of the show, but there's too many instances of needless suffering and cruelty towards some of its characters. Including Will and Max.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
It's like they have no ability to think through the subtexts. English education must be in an extremely dire strait.

Agreed some of it is education, but I think it's more than that and reflects the persons views tbh.
If you're anti-LGBTQ+, you don't want to see it in your media or even imagine it's there.

stersauce

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
san jose, ca
The weird thing is in season 4 where he encourages Mike that he's the heart of the team, then turns around and tries to hold back his emotions. How does Mike not notice this? It's a tiny-ass van lmao

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
And the Homelander fanbase are clearly Trumpists.

I wonder if the writers were inspired by that right wing rally that had a Homelander costume.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck Mike

But will's character is a tragic one, so I don't see anything good happening for him. At the very least give him a better haircut

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
if will is gay why does he have that haircut

500.jpg

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Honestly, I don't think that matters. Sometimes you just like who you like and you can't control that even if they have been shitty or dismissive to you.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I failed English class because I completely missed this subtext.

I thought Will was super lonely with his brother pulling away, his mom being emotionally unavailable after losing yet another boyfriend, Mike being in love with El, and then having to move across the country to a new town. Add a very large scoop of being permanently traumatized from being stuck in the upside down and possessed by the mind flayer (while also feeling like he missed out on large chunks of his childhood because of the former) - Will being a train wreck didn't seem surprising to me. He seemed more coded as Ace than anything if I had to guess.

Poor kid needs a new barber though.

Oct 25, 2017
In equally concealed news Schnapp also confirmed that Will is indeed a male teenager
That's the not the mystery to me, it's Will's bowl haircut.
Little known fact: The title "Stranger Things," a reference to the phrase "stranger things have happened," is in direct reference to Will's bowl cut being more unexplainable than hive monsters from the shadow dimension.

Oct 27, 2017
I've only watched each season once so I don't remember this being hinted at in Season 3... or it was too subtle for me.

Season 3 being too subtle for me wouldn't be surprising. There have been many, many times in the past where I am late to realising a character is LGBTQ+. Sometimes to embarrassing degrees.

In Season 4 it's very blatant and I'm surprised some people didn't see it. But again, I've got no room to talk.

Oct 25, 2017
I've only watched each season once so I don't remember this being hinted at in Season 3... or it was too subtle for me.

Season 3 being too subtle for me wouldn't be surprising. There have been many, many times in the past where I am late to realising a character is LGBTQ+. Sometimes to embarrassing degrees.

In Season 4 it's very blatant and I'm surprised some people didn't see it. But again, I've got no room to talk.
in the first seasons I considered
in season 3 i suspected
in season 4 i knew

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
This year has been a revelation to me in what audiences miss. See The Boys etc.

Kudos to the actor for picking a side and trying to not make it ambiguous.
I mean, that scene with Will and Jonathan was as blatant as you could get short of Will literally saying, "I am gay and love Mike but he loves El and that makes me sad." The subtext practically hits you in the face with a 2x4.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Yeah I feel like that was as obvious as possible in season 4. Hopefully they give him some scenes with Robin/Steve so he can be honest to someone who'll understand him. I feel like the party members would just be confused (I'm not sure anyone in the cast even knows about Robin except Steve and maybe Nancy?).