• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I legit think this game is going to own. I just finished the demo with the optional mission you unlock after beating the first two main missions. It was tough but fair. I really like that you have to decide between dodging, blocking or that soul parry thingy. Gives the fights a nice dynamic. Having two party members with you also helps out a lot. In general the balancing is so much better than in the first demo. I... like the gameplay. I mean the presentation (I really hope they can fix that framerate) plus the edgelord stuff is basically a meme at this point but even outside of that I really dig its "PS3 charm" a lot. Very much looking forward to the full game.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
So the spanish substitles are based on the japanese version. That means more Chaos at boss 2 dialogue lol

SoraanTribal

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't had time to dive into the online stuff yet. Is it one of those Souls ish games where if I'm playing through it with my husband, we have to do each level twice? Once for me and once for him? Or do we both get credit.

Dragmire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone notice the Season Pass for this game from the press release?
The Digital Deluxe Edition of STRANGER OF PARADISE FINAL FANTASY ORIGIN includes a digital artbook, digital mini soundtrack and a DLC Season Pass, which will include the additional missions; 'Trials of the Dragon King, 'Wanderer of the Rift' and 'DIFFERENT FUTURE'.
I didn't notice any of the coverage discussing it.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
where there's a multiverse, there's gilgamesh

and where there's gilgamesh, there's chaotic nonsense that breaks the 4th wall in over the top ways which is only going to be ramped up to 11 in a game this edgy that's also trying to take itself seriously
Personally, I'm here for the insane shit doubly so if the core gameplay loop continues to be as good in the demo.

Dragmire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gilgamesh is DLC once again
8025Gilgamesh_01copy.jpg

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Finished all there was in the demo and filled out the survey. I made it quite clear they need to improve the resolution, textures and overall performance. I hope they can iron those out before the full game releases. The game is fun otherwise.

NemesisTheory

One Winged Slayer
Jun 15, 2019
Netherlands
Gameplay is still as fun if not moreso than the previous trial. I REALLY appreciate them making the party members more viable and giving you the option of making them go all out. I don't even think they had their own hp bar last time?

The new classes are really fun even though one (swordfighter) seems really busted with its r2/interception counter+lightbringer loop. That combo made the game (and specifically the optional mission) a lot easier than it should've been.

I have faith the framerate (which was especially shocking to behold in the second mission when spinning the camera) will be fixed before a potential next demo or the release.

A definite preorder for me.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
The new classes are really fun even though one (swordfighter) seems really busted with its r2/interception counter+lightbringer loop. That combo made the game (and specifically the optional mission) a lot easier than it should've been.
I hope they keep it as is. I imagine they'll be later missions where it's OPness isn't so pronounced. Tank bosses with long range attacks for example would only allow you to stave off damage but you'll have to go in close to stagger and the damage output of the class might need be enough to stagger. I foresee later missions relying on advanced classes.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know this has online coop. That sounds great. This will probably be a fun game to run through with somebody else

N_Cryo

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
west coast
The second boss's unblockable attack is the worst. You cant get out of it at all at close range. And you can get tripled comboed by it too. The wave attack it has also sucks too since it also causes stagger and hits 3 times.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I thought the demo was very very fun but the 2nd world/area really has bad framerate at times. The new jobs feel very fluid though especially Swordfighter and Pugilist/Duelist. I really enjoyed my time with all those jobs. I feel like the mage job was much easier to use than the old demo. I killed Chaos without even upgrading any of my board because I didn't remember how to do it, lol but he seemed really easier compared to the first demo especially since your allies can be commanded to attack. The second boss was a challenge and it took me a few tries to get it but eventually I killed it. I also did the side mission and my Jack was looking like a ordinary guy by the end of this, lmao.

Overall, I think this game has tons of promise and i'm really excited for it. I'm glad there are female characters and not just male after XV but I wouldn't say any of the characters are promising so far which sucks. I also have to get used to badass Garland's human form just being a ordinary guy.... and he has a phone what the fuckkkk man Nomura and Nojima going all out with this game. Pretty sure we see the FFI castle at the end of the demo so what is the deal with the Sunleth Waterscape music? Is this connecting to Dissidia?

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had a quick peek at some footage of the second demo.

Absolutely loving what I'm seeing, can't wait.

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
This game feels cobbled together.
Performance is laughable, dialogue makes me wince, gameplay is decent at best.
This really feels like SE just didn't care that much

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
Check out "Dungeon Encounters" if you want to see a game where SE really didn't care

this is more egregious to me because it carries the FF title and I think it's supposed to be the 35th anniversary celebration of the original? If so, this is a horrible way to celebrate it.
The idea itself isn't bad at all, the execution just seems poor

EduBRK

Oct 30, 2017
Brazil
Hope I can brute force my way through stable image / fps in the PC version. I like the game, is a different flavor of Nioh. And Nioh is crack to me.

Hero Prinny

Oct 25, 2017
I unlocked the red mage. how do i actually switch to it though? it doesn't appear as a job to switch to even though i used my skill point to unlock it

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yep.
www.youtube.com

Final Fantasy 13-2 Gilgamesh DLC Battle Part 1

for those of you have have trouble, make mistakes, or just can't defeat this bastard these four videos (yes four) will help (i hope) if not just leave a comm...
FYI that is my favorite version of Clash on the Big Bridge
I unlocked the red mage. how do i actually switch to it though? it doesn't appear as a job to switch to even though i used my skill point to unlock it
You have to unlock on mage and swordfighter to unlock it.

Anumariku

Jan 8, 2020
The framerate really bums me out. It's bad enough in single player, but it TANKS in multiplayer. I'd actually enjoy it enough for what it is, but it is literally headache inducing, so unless they fix that then it's a no go for me.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Beat the first boss last night by hanging back, parrying every single attack he threw at me, and overall letting my party members smack him from behind whenever he slowed down. It's not the most elegant solution, but I was so sick of being killed in one hit by his second phase so if cheese I must, cheese I shall.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Beat the first boss, I had to switch to Swordfighter because as a mage, I was finding it frequent that he'd target me the second I tried to use a spell. Plus the damage you get from a fully charged spell wasn't really worth it.

Also, I found it really easy to accidentally use the wrong spell. But that's a control issue on my part, I don't know if others were having the same issue.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I tried the demo but it just doesn't click with me.

I'll probably pass on the final game

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
They need to work really hard on performance, this is atrocious.... i like everything else....

Nov 1, 2017
They need to work really hard on performance, this is atrocious.... i like everything else....
I cant imagine Team Ninja letting it release in this state unless Square is rushing them (which is the point of releasing the demos so early i think, to get that feedback). Nioh 2 runs at 60fps and 120fps easily on PS5 and this game isn't THAT much of a leap in graphics. Its just very poorly optimized right now I think, but they have time to fix it. However I will wait to see if actually runs well before I buy it...

Beat the first boss, I had to switch to Swordfighter because as a mage, I was finding it frequent that he'd target me the second I tried to use a spell. Plus the damage you get from a fully charged spell wasn't really worth it.

Also, I found it really easy to accidentally use the wrong spell. But that's a control issue on my part, I don't know if others were having the same issue.
I found that if you cancel out of casting the spellcasting midway via dodging or by absorbing an attack with soul shield , you don't have to start from the beginning if you quickly start recasting. If you want to dodge in a direction you do have to memorize the directions to cast the certain spells though afterwards but that should become second nature after a while.

I was playing against the Chaos Advent with the Mage, and it seems like casting the Dark or Fire on him, even just a quick tier 1 is a good strat to keep his stamina draining without having to rush in to attack him directly. Also you can quickly switch to Mage from your Melee class to cast the spells when the boss is far away from you, and so you don't have to risk always draining your stamina by trying to rush and parry the boss up close. But yeah Mage would be even more useful as a main job in co-op where you have other players actually distracting the boss.

Last edited:

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The framerate really bums me out. It's bad enough in single player, but it TANKS in multiplayer. I'd actually enjoy it enough for what it is, but it is literally headache inducing, so unless they fix that then it's a no go for me.

Kinda shocked the frame rate is that bad on a freaking PS5. Especially when the graphics are nothing to shout about.

DanSensei

Nov 15, 2017
If I were writing this game, I'd make a much better ending than the one they're gonna have. You know that weird monomaniac who never shuts up about Chaos? Have his life become completely meaningless now that Chaos has been defeated, and in his search for any meaning, he realizes that it would only have any meaning if he had Chaos to defeat, so he goes to the Temple of Fiends, puts on Garland's armor,. opens the time gate, and goes back in time to revive Chaos.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
All I will say is I hope that FFXVI isnt this complicated...jesus,its like i'm playing Madden with all those controls,incredible...there is a tutorial I cant even do... it says hold RB-hold RB- LS(I dont get this part) hold RT ?????? no clue...

And I know its just a trial but even in performance mode on the XSX,its a jaggie,stuttering mess...sent a report for that...

Cana

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 27, 2021
Just beat all the missions. I played Pugilist only. Beat 1st mission on action, 2nd on hard, side on action. Here are some thoughts.

- level design in general is quite weaker than the Nioh series. I imagine this is a budget timeline issue however.

- music is actually pretty okay, not great but serviceable.

- i am unsure on how strong Pugilist is. So break dmg is quite high and the prowess system I think will turn out strong. However the action abilities for Pug are not the best. The shoryuken has its uses but the recovery should be lessened. The leg kicks are just bad. The Hajime No Ippo dempsy roll ass main ability is good however the game is glitched in that if set to after parry square triangle, it wont come out meaning I had to use uppercut. I do not know why some of the things in the battle commands settings dont work. I like the fists as Im a fists Nioh man, but they need some tweaks.

- first boss is still excellent. 2nd boss on hard is pretty badly balanced. While the fight itself isnt really bullshit, the boss health is. This fight is far too long. However, in action mode the boss's moves completely change! Action mode health with hard mode moves seems like the perfect balance for this boss.

- framerate nonexistent

- graphics are poor though serviceable. Art direction is okay.

- here are my thoughts on combat. I really like the parry system and how its implemented. However the parry atk combos autocorrect can be a bit janky. I like the amount of meter built from perfect parries tho maybe there should be special animations or colours for a perfect parry so players can know the timing. The hold forward etc command atks should allow for a bit of a buffer, like atk hold back atk. Dodge Run macro is fantastic. Theres still a need for dodge offset.

- enemies are pretty damn basic yet still their atks windup can be ambiguous. They need better tells. I do enjoy the variety so far however.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Beat the first boss last night by hanging back, parrying every single attack he threw at me, and overall letting my party members smack him from behind whenever he slowed down. It's not the most elegant solution, but I was so sick of being killed in one hit by his second phase so if cheese I must, cheese I shall.

That's ultimately how I beat it too, but I was more aggressive with the parry. Honestly felt like you didn't need to attack at all and could just get by via break damage caused by the parry, then use lightbringer when your own gauge was low to reboot it.

Then I got the swordfighter class in the second level and the entire game just becomes impossible to lose after that. What an ABSURDLY busted class.

This game has a hell of a lot to work out regarding performance, but they have just as much to do to tighten balance up. Holding a spell with Mage to charge up 4MP blocks, swapping to swordfighter and keeping intercept up 100% of the time, along with a skill in the tree that makes the soul parry auto-intercept without consuming your own charge just makes the game brainless to play.