• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

7th_heaven

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
I believe WoL from FF1/Dissidia will appear like super boss or something ... And Jack will die by WoL hand ???

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Guys, there's not going to be a CC or have another character.

It's so clear they want to tell a story of this guy that slowly descend into what he is fighting in his point of view. You can't get that with a CC or with doing the turning in the tutorial.

Dude sucks, but it is what is it and other than a slight redesign nothing will change so please don't forget to focus on actually plausible feedback like game mechanics instead on having all the focus on somethinf that will not change.

Kholdy

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Garland is kicking my ass on Normal, i'm just gonna drop it for now. Anyway, gameplay is kinda good? It feels like a revamped Nioh for the most part.
They really need to buff magic, as far as i'm concerned. Not being able to move while casting is unplayable.

Nah, magic is risk-reward, it's damage is insane, throw an Aeroga at those skeletons and you kill them in seconds (they fly up hit each other and hit the walls for massive HPand break damage).

For boss if you keep your distance, he'walk towards and you can bust his ass with Thundaga (I tried that with normal mage and was doing 1200+ damage)

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
This demo is awesome. The combat is so damn fun, I think going by this alpha alone, Origin already has the best combat in any FF game, spinoff or otherwise(I maybe only like LR's combat more) The FF references in the music and combat are so cool. Can't wait to see how it looks after a year.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
They're totally linking this to Dissidia's (trashy) story, I guess? They apparently already recontextualized FF I in that series, after all.

As "anti-creativity" as my words might sound, I wish this had been a more straight-forward project in its story and tone, more in line with Nioh but within the confines of FF I's world.

And, for once, I'm sad we aren't getting a character creator (I love them, but I tend to vastly prefer established characters). A great path would have been them having the MC be fixed but customizable (appareance, gender, voice...), à la Shepard.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
In complete disbelief at how much fun this demo is.
I've played through this like five goddamn times now. They've got a banger if they rework the presentation some.

And clean up the technical issues, but I'm not gonna harp on those because it's clearly an early build. Frankly, I appreciate a company showing it's game in this state to get feedback. I prefer this to overly polished scripted presentations or CG trailers.

Oct 25, 2017
I think Jack might become the Garland that was in Dissidia or some shit like that. Honestly though I'm curious how stupid and batshit insane this story will be. Nojima is a loose cannon so I hope it's entertainingly terrible. Methinks Cid, Cosmo or Shinryu from Dissidia will be that character that appears here.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
-total 8 weapon types. the ones not in the demo are one-hand sword, two hand axe, melee, dagger, dual sword.

8 weapons, huh? That's more than Nioh the First ended up with, even including DLC, so I'm actually impressed here. Wouldn't be surprised if, much like Nioh, Axes and Hammers share the same slot, but offer slightly different perks depending on if you prefer HP or stamina damage.

Plus if White Magic actually does end up in this game, it'd be fitting to see Jack get a Hammer-based weapon set to compliment it.

My guess? Gilgamesh.

After the way Team Ninja gave us a fun fight against one of his direct inspirations, Benkei, in Nioh 2? It'd only be fitting if he somehow found a way to cross dimensional barriers and gets to mess with Jack and pals.

Besides, in a game where we'll eventually be seeking rare weapon drops ourselves, Gilgamesh would be right at home!

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I played the demo and had fun with it - I'm not sure who approved that trailer though. They're an accidental genius maybe?

It's definitely a bit rough around the edges but there's a good core there to build around. We'll see how it turns out next year.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
8 weapons, huh? That's more than Nioh the First ended up with, even including DLC, so I'm actually impressed here. Wouldn't be surprised if, much like Nioh, Axes and Hammers share the same slot, but offer slightly different perks depending on if you prefer HP or stamina damage.

Plus if White Magic actually does end up in this game, it'd be fitting to see Jack get a Hammer-based weapon set to compliment it.

My guess? Gilgamesh.

After the way Team Ninja gave us a fun fight against one of his direct inspirations, Benkei, in Nioh 2? It'd only be fitting if he somehow found a way to cross dimensional barriers and gets to mess with Jack and pals.

Besides, in a game where we'll eventually be seeking rare weapon drops ourselves, Gilgamesh would be right at home!
A Gilagmesh fight in this gameplay style would be aces.

Seriously, a few balance issues aside, the Garland fight at the end of the demo is great and is exactly the kind of thing I would want out of a "Final Fantasy Soulslike"

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So how is the gameplay? Does it makeup for the extremely cringeworthy protagonists?

I, and many others here, really enjoy the gameplay. It has some rough edges, but it's pretty much what I hoped for gameplay wise when I heard Team Ninja were making a FF game. Basically Nioh with a big FF twist. Feels really good when you get the hang of it, and I've ran through the demo 4 times as a result.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly glad to hear the story is gonna be good.
Depends on how you mean "good"
If you mean good as in, Nojima writes a batshit insane fanfiction that will be entertainingly bad, then yes I agree.

If you mean good as in FF14 Shadowbringers or Heavensaward type good, then lol I don't believe it will even come close. But more power to you if you like his style of writing.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
So how is the gameplay? Does it makeup for the extremely cringeworthy protagonists?
It's good, and quite fun, if a bit unbalanced right now. They layered the Job System into a Nioh-esque combat system, and you can switch between two jobs at a given time. Stamina is now only used for defensive maneuvers rather than for everything, but heavy attacks cost MP. MP can be recovered with repeated attacks or by parry blows.

On the negative end, your AI companions are useless but the encounters seem often designed for using them as meat shields, and magic, while cool to use, is clunkily implemented right now.

There are issues with it, but there's a really solid foundation. As for whether it makes up for the story and presentation, that's gonna depend on the person. But I liked it enough that I've maxed out four of the

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Wait so we're getting more party members? That's sweet.

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
Guys, my heart skipped a beat when the Bomb you first meet suddenly started getting bigger, not gonna lie.

This has scads of potential, and can be one of the greats in character action, but it needs a lot of polish.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This shit doesn't even look like a Final Fantasy game.
I mean, what does a FF game even look like really? People say this with every new release, and then the new stuff becomes an accepted form of the franchise moving forward.

All we got was a dark and dank looking castle and we haven't seen anything else yet. I think it is too early to say this looks or doesn't look like FF. And even if it doesn't, that never stopped the franchise from reinventing itself over and over and over.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Depends on how you mean "good"
If you mean good as in, Nojima writes a batshit insane fanfiction that will be entertainingly bad, then yes I agree.

If you mean good as in FF14 Shadowbringers or Heavensaward type good, then lol I don't believe it will even come close. But more power to you if you like his style of writing.

nah what I mean is that it is more than just killing Chaos. I thought this would not have many scenes and focus on raw gameplay. Basically, the interviews give more hope than the trailer LOL

Oct 28, 2017
Think I found Jack's older brother Mike in Yakuza 4 today

44da0855-1c65-40c1-b9r6kc4.png

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
nah what I mean is that it is more than just killing Chaos. I thought this would not have many scenes and focus on raw gameplay. Basically, the interviews give more hope than the trailer LOL
It's worth noting that, while goofy and edgy, the story presented does hint at a few things that could be really interesting if done well.
Like the theory that Jack is an alternate timeline Garland/Chaos, which is supported by a few lines of dialogue.
We'll just have to see!

Man, I keep going back through the demo just for that Garland fight again. It's really good. I want that no hit victory lol.

plastic love

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 19, 2019
My experience with anime/film/videogames tells me starting your game/demo in a golden field with a lot of light means you're either dead or gonna be.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Jack is 100% Garland. They have the whole dialogue about OMG, ONLY JACK DOES THIS MOVE! when he does something in the boss battle. They could not have made it more painfully obvious.

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the script for the trailer btw
"I'm here to kill Chaos. That's my mission."
[STOCK BAT SOUND FX AND STRUGGLING NOISES]
"Looks like Chaos has been waiting for us."
"You're gonna make us go in there and find you?"
"Guess we'll just show ourselves in."
"I only know one thing: I want to kill… Chaos… need to."
[TIME TO DIE]
"It's not a hope, or a dream… it's like a hunger, a thirst…"
[MOVE ASIDE]
[YOU'RE DUST]
[UUOOOGGHH]
"You're sure Chaos is here?"
"Yeah, we can only squash monsters for so long! I hate doing pest control."
"This is the shrine of Chaos. He's here. We just have to hunt him down."
[FEEL THE PAIN]
"The darkness is so thick I can taste it… this is it. No doubt about it."
[DIE ALREADY]
"There was a knight who left on the same journey as you… but never returned. His name was Garland. If you could, I would be grateful if you looked for him."
"CHAOS."
"I'LL CRUSH YOU. NGGGH!"
"KNOW WHEN YOU'RE BEATEN!"
"And who are you?"
"We're here to kill Chaos."
"The prophecies very own Warriors of Light."
"Really?…"
"He always wore such splendid armor, with a helmet that was so terrifying to behold…"
"It's Garland!"
"No… I am become CHAOS! MMMMH GHAAA"

Rod

Oct 25, 2017

Lmao. We need more of this awesomeness.

This can be gold.

We just don't fully realize/notice at first, but this is gigabrain 5d writing.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017

Lmao. We need more of this awesomeness.

This can be gold.

We just don't fully realize/notice at first, but this is gigabrain 5d writing.
Getting strong True Detective S2 vibes...