• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Memes aside, I honestly really wanted to try this demo out.

Sucks that it's still broken.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Some of y'all got to stop blaming Nomura for everything and giving him no credit for anything.

Like dude ain't perfect, snd these designs are yikes but I hate to tell you there is basically zero creatives that create for 20 + years and have them all be winners.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem here doesn't seem to be Nojima. Nojima's responsible for the Story and Scenario, and that's something we know very little about.

Nomura's the Creative Director, the guy who came up with the concept, and the Character Designer. Each of those things is a miss right now. You can absolve the guy for maybe one thing, but there are too many things that he's credited for that just don't work.

*Creative Producer

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just really don't understand how something like this happens.
That's exactly the point. Don't you all see? Square has been all about subverting expectations since FFVIIR.

You not understanding how this happens is because of the chaotic nature of the game. Its demo release, character designs, story, clumsy action, middling graphics...all of it is meant to make you, the player, fully immersed into a black hole of questions and speculation. No point, no justification, no common sense...only random, unreasonable, noncompliant chaos.

We took down Fate in VII Remake. Now we have only one more target. We are all Garland's descent into madness. Garland is us. Garland is chaos. And Jack is Square Enix trying to kill us through the meta physical representation of their shareholders.

Nonagon

Jan 2, 2020
I thought people were exaggerating for the memes.

And then I watched the trailer myself.

Holy hell, what were they thinking? This is probably the worst trailer for a high-profile game I've ever seen. Horrible visuals, kindergarten-level storytelling, voiceovers and music that don't match the action on the screen... To imagine that someone, somewhere greenlit this trailer boggles my mind.
To be fair, as seen from many first-time reactions, people didn't catch on the "chaos" so much. It was only when more and more people pointed it out and people became aware, that it has become a thing.
I for some reason from the start thought the protagonists looked creepily hilarious. Don't know how long it will last, but looking at his face still gives me a laughing fit everytime.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
i think this game looks pretty cool xD

--------------------------------------------------------------
wii fc: 7209 6111 7190 7096
aim: ladybowpwns
F78ZCGX.gif
probably best just to close the thread now. no topping this.

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
It's not like 1-9 were opposed to throwing things out and trying something different. 2 and 8 in particular could definitely fall into the "wild experimentation" category. 7 and 8 also have much more in common with the stories of some of the games that come after than they do with the games before.

"Ignoring MMOs" also kind of undermines your point a little bit considering those are far and away the biggest Final Fantasies ever from both a content and a business point of view.
2 and 8 really are not what I would call "wild experimentation" compared to the later games. They were different, sure, but only in the same way that 3, 6, or 7 were. They tried new ideas, but still used old ones. 2 took the basic battle system and abilities from 1, but mixed up how you learned and strengthened them. FF8 tries some new things with how magic works, but the GF and Junction system are fundamentally the same idea as Jobs, Magicite, or Materia, just repackaged and iterated. The only real difference is the addition of a few extra steps required to covert the abilities of the GF into direct stat changes.

Compare those to something like FF12, which fundamentally changes core elements of the combat system, or FF15 that is basically a different genre entirely. Especially since FF15 doesn't really clearly draw any gameplay ideas from 12 or 13 in the same way that even 8 clearly borrows ideas from 6 and 7.

And 7 and 8 don't really share much in common with the post-10 stories. They are, fundamentally, still focused on the traditional heroic journey without subversion. They lack the later focus on divine powers that guide and manipulate the world behind the scenes, and their stories don't feature pretty much any of the major elements I mentioned.

And I omitted the MMOs for several reasons. First, they are fundamentally developed by different branches of the company with very different structures and conditions. The fact that they are fundamentally a different genre makes it hard to directly compare their gameplay, and the different storytelling style brought on by the expansion-based format makes it impossible to directly compare their stories. It is just apples to oranges.

You're condensing about 8 years of company history down into "the same time for the same reasons."

The major shift in FF happened as far back as FF6 when Kitase took over writing and directing duties from Sakaguchi. Younger creatives like Nomura were moving up and getting bigger roles. New blood like Nojima were brought in around that time too. Sakaguchi was less involved in FF6 and FF7 than he had been in FF1-5, and then barely involved in FF8 at all while he took a more active role in FF9 instead.

The Square Enix merger happened two years after FF10 was released. FF10 would have been almost finished development by the time Squaresoft and Enix even began discussing a merger. Sakaguchi didn't leave the company until 2004 and he was involved in two more Final Fantasy games after FF10 as well as Kingdom Hearts and he oversaw FF11's first two expansions.

Wada was never a replacement for Sakaguchi. They worked entirely different jobs in the company. Sakaguchi was a game director and producer. Wada was a corporate executive. He was made CEO four years before Sakaguchi left.

I mostly agree, but FF12 is a pretty direct follow-up to the SNES/PS1 era of games. Matsuno's storytelling and Sakimoto's music gave it a bit of a different feel, but in terms of setting and gameplay, it was basically FF6 in 3D. It felt closer to the series history than FF10 did. And I think FF16 is going to be a throwback in a lot of ways too. FF14 by the same team certainly is. FF14 is the most Sakaguchi-ass FF game since FF5.

Anyway, I think the main takeaway is that the stewardship of Final Fantasy under CBU1 (and formerly BD1-3) is a complete mess. Kitase clearly lost the plot decades ago and hopefully Yoshi-P interrupts him every time he tries to speak at board meetings.
It is a simplification, yes, but you have to simplify a little. But I'll both disagree with you and clarify a few points.

First, the shift from FF1-5 to FF6 is indeed a shift in the direction of the series, but it isn't the only one, and it is much less significant than the one I was talking about. FF6-10 is its own arc that features very different worlds and stories than before, focusing less on chosen heroes and more on human conflict, where magic is its own major force in the world rather than just a presumed thing. But it still fits in the larger paradigm of gameplay iteration and story variety.

And yes, the big transition in the company took place after FF10, but I included 10 in the list of later games because most later FF games just... copy FF10. FF10 itself is a transition game. It is the product of the same gameplay iteration that produced the earlier games, but the core recurring things seen in later FF games are all found in 10. The things that distinguish 10 from earlier games are the same things that form the template for the later games. Thus, evil manipulative religious figures, a subverted heroic journey, rebellion against the core ideals of the world, sphere-grid like progression mechanics, and major overhauls to core battle mechanics become the norm.

Either the people in charge of FF right now really love FF10, or it is the only kind of FF they know how to make, but it is pretty much the definitive game for the series over the last few decades. Well, it and secondary influence from Kingdom Hearts, but that discussion is more complicated.

As for your comments on 12, 14, and 16...

FF12 is a terrible trashfire of a game. It isn't a throwback to the older games, because even with the Zodiac Job System it is barely any more mechanically complicated than FF1. Its core gimmick is the completely overhauled core battle system that prioritizes flash and animations over fun fights. It abandons the well-designed progression systems based on opportunity cost from older games in exchange for a shallow retread of the sphere grid where everyone gets every skill all the time. Its main story is a mess in which the main characters have no agency and barely register in the plot. And it is fundamentally built to be the anchor for a bunch of spinoff games like FFTA and Revenant Wings. Nothing about it has the slightest resemblance to the SNES/PS1 games.

FF14 is, as I said, hard to compare directly because it is an MMO. But I do think it that part of the reason for A Realm Reborn's rather poor story (other than the development time crunch) was its focus on big lore and worldbuilding, while completely overlooking the basics of character writing and putting together an engaging main story. This is one of the same big problems that drags down 12, 13, and 15. Luckily, the game is really good past that part.

As for 16, it is still too early to really be sure what it will be like, but that first trailer strongly indicated that it is doing the same thing as the last few titles. Rather than iterate on the good parts of either FF12 or 7R's battle systems like I hoped, it again is doing its own thing. And again we have a world at the mercy of big divine things, and s hero who is likely going to suffer tragedy on his path to fighting big divine things. It doesn't have the Type-0/15 director in charge, so the story will probably be better than those, but other than that it looks like the same thing all over again.

Last edited:

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I cannot get the "This is not a hope or dream. It's like hunger. Thirst" crap outta my head.
This is peak edgelord brilliance.

Syrenne

Producer of Manifold Garden
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
To at least answer a question I've seen come up, when they fix the demo you shouldn't have to delete and redownload everything - the fix will be in the form of a patch.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Some of y'all got to stop blaming Nomura for everything and giving him no credit for anything.

Like dude ain't perfect, snd these designs are yikes but I hate to tell you there is basically zero creatives that create for 20 + years and have them all be winners.

It's just cool to hate on Nomura, but he's great.

Oct 25, 2017

I think avoiding building entire games around the not-winners is why games have a preproduction phase, though, right?

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
So I hid away from the internet for the last 24 hours as I was waiting until tonight to watch E3 stuff with a mate and...oh boy.

In my head when the rumours started coming out I had this vision of how a potential Soulsborne-like FF set in FF1's world would work, and it honestly felt like it would be one of those things that would just work and make perfect sense. I couldn't wait until it was revealed to see what it was going to be.

And, well, yeah...I'll obviously check it out, and maybe even enjoy it, but man was that a rough reveal and not at all what I was picturing 😬

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I hid away from the internet for the last 24 hours as I was waiting until tonight to watch E3 stuff with a mate and...oh boy.

In my head when the rumours started coming out I had this vision of how a potential Soulsborne-like FF set in FF1's world would work, and it honestly felt like it would be one of those things that would just work and make perfect sense. I couldn't wait until it was revealed to see what it was going to be.

And, well, yeah...I'll obviously check it out, and maybe even enjoy it, but man was that a rough reveal and not at all what I was picturing 😬
Just watch the chaos supercut.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
still the highlight of E3. I got high yesterday, watched the trailer again and probably woke up the block from laughing.

the battle quotes killed me. "FEEL THE PAIN!" "ILL CRUSH YOU!" *as Garland is getting his face beat in*

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I just got home from work. I let the game download over night thinking it would be fixed. I can't believe it's still broken. Like, how do you mess up a demo.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell

It's really odd to me how some parts of ERA set up some people as the guy to blame every time a big publisher trips up. Nomura, Harada, Nagoshi...

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
It's incredible how no one has been able to play the thing a day later.

I'd want to know what broke once they put the demo up...like, how does this even happen?

Did they just decide to pull the actual demo because they realized the game was going to be shit on so profusely?

MissingString

Oct 28, 2017

That's the thing. Obviously I had my blue sky hopes and dreams. "What if they leaned hard into Amano's art style? What if it was a return to high fantasy?" But I knew that wasn't happening. I was excited because what I thought was likely - a darker, creepier Souls inspired Final Fantasy action RPG - still sounded really cool and was something I'd be into. But this, is just....why? It's such an unbelievable own goal.

I do want to give this the benefit of the doubt (which is why I really want to try the demo) because solid gameplay might make the title worth exploring even if the story and concept is awful. But there's just no reason for this to be as terrible as it is when the pitch (Souls but Final Fantasy) is so obvious.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's really odd to me how some parts of ERA set up some people as the guy to blame every time a big publisher trips up. Nomura, Harada, Nagoshi...
Agreed.

Like all three of them make mistakes…but we all do right? We all have issues and we all make mistakes even in our careers.

That said while they do make mistakes Nagoshi, Harada, and Nomura have all made million selling games that people love and cherish. Even if you don't like them, let's not act like everything they make is some how "objectively" trash or like they should lose their jobs because they aren't catering to your exact taste.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually starting to come around to this game. It looks like something that shouldn't exist. I'm at least glad they are experimenting.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I hope some data miners out there saved this thing already. I want to know what's really in it, who knows what fucked up data file they accidentally uploaded.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
That's the thing. Obviously I had my blue sky hopes and dreams. "What if they leaned hard into Amano's art style? What if it was a return to high fantasy?" But I knew that wasn't happening. I was excited because what I thought was likely - a darker, creepier Souls inspired Final Fantasy action RPG - still sounded really cool and was something I'd be into. But this, is just....why? It's such an unbelievable own goal.

I do want to give this the benefit of the doubt (which is why I really want to try the demo) because solid gameplay might make the title worth exploring even if the story and concept is awful. But there's just no reason for this to be as terrible as it is when the pitch (Souls but Final Fantasy) is so obvious.

It really is a shock...lol

I'm rewatching the trailer and I just can't work out how this was pitched and came together haha. Maybe it's a good thing? I dunno. Maybe what I had in mind would be too safe and too similar to Dark Souls or something. But man do I wish it were just that.

Still, I look forward to facing the Chaos™ whenever they fix the demo.