• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
U5JI2FG.png

Wtf is this
Doesn't IDW review these things before print?

Star Wars Adventures Issue 9
Art by Michael Avon Oeming

May 24, 2019
I would be extremely shocked if Oeming was a racist.

e: I guess I don't know anything about him personally, but he works a lot with Brian Michael Bendis who has adopted black children and I'd guess wouldn't put up with any of that if it's been evident before.

edit 2: Since I'm being called out for this, I hope I can clarify that there isn't any excusing the OP's image. It obviously at least resembles a racist caricature, intentional or not. It not being recognized as being that by the artist or production somewhere along the line is inexcusable.
With Bendis, I'm trying to say that he's been all about making comics and characters for his kids and kids like his kids (Miles, Naomi) so I'm guessing he'd want nothing to do with a racist collaborator, if he'd shown himself as that before.
So not saying he isn't racist or didn't just DO something racist, just that I'd be surprised if he was.

Last edited:

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The artist has a weird style but that is so blatantly racist and dissimilar to his odd style that it has to be deliberate.

That is straight up Chimp screaming face

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I personally don't see it.

Is there anything to compare it to?

Edit.

After the latest post this is sus

May 24, 2019
I haven't read any Powers (his major series), but this space god modelled on Prince and Hendrix from Cave Carson looked swell.
KGELHjq.jpg

I guess something just went wrong in the intersection of stylization and likeness with Windu.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Looks like they wanted to adopt the TV Cartoon version to paper and it didn't come out right.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Weird. Doesn't even look like his style. Did someone else do finishes on the issue?

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
First page of the short story
OC9SKDu.jpg

Honestly this comic just looks like shit regardless. The first panel in the OP looks intentional on it's own but man the art just seems inconsistent and garbage across the board so it's hard to tell. Like why does Mace Windu look like he's morphing into Quark in that last panel? It's like someone drunk described Tartakovsky to the artist to replicate. Anakin goes from having a straight jawline to a curved one. Windu's ears looks like they are constantly flapping.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
DiH4rer.png

idk, it looks like a heavily stylized artstyle to me. Apparently the guy only drew two issues so far with little to no other characters.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I looked up the comic and it seems the drawing on Mace Windu didn't turn out right

Oeming has drawn black characters before and they don't look like this it's probably what someone said that they attempted to emulate his look from clone wars cartoon and it just didn't translate

OP
OP
Stalker

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I looked up the comic and it seems the drawing on Mace Windu didn't turn out right

Oeming has drawn black characters before and they don't look like this it's probably what someone said that they attempted to emulate his look from clone wars cartoon and it just didn't translate

Redraw it then?

Omnipotent

User requested ban
Banned
Feb 28, 2021
Questionable as the image in the OP is, based off of other provided context I don't think that this was intentionally malicious, just an unfortunate coincidence.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017

That's what always hits me about things like this. Sure someone can create something questionable with no bad intentions, it happens. But at these massive companies how do they get signed off and released with nobody stopping to suggest that it's changed.

hzid

Banned
Oct 5, 2021
User Banned (Permanent): Troll Account
It seems everything's racist nowadays.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
This one at least looks like Mace. I have no idea what happened to result in the one in the OP.
You can still see his raised brow, just barely.

I think it's the angle making him look unflattering.

Well, that and it looks like these were drawn real quick. Sketch-like. Kinda reminds me of the roughness of pretty much every The Walking Dead comic after issues 1-6. But that at least worked for the entirety of the story and medium. (Tho Tony Moore was a million times better, damn shame.)

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this on Reddit weeks ago and went back and forth with making a thread on this. I will say that regardless of intent, editorial should have had the foresight to correct the image. It's a sensitive image that can evoke a lot of negativity even if it isn't intentionally playing into racist stereotypes (which I believe in this case it is not—it is just incredibly garbage and most certainly rushed.)

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I remember seeing this offhand on Twitter and thought it was fake, no way it's actually real right?

Oct 25, 2017
Based on how Mace is stylized on the other pages I dont think the one in the OP is intentional. It seems like the artist just lowered the mouth too much when drawing the head at a raised angle for the sake of having his expression read more clear

wow_bob_wow

Oct 28, 2017
Based on how Mace is stylized on the other pages I dont think the one in the OP is intentional. It seems like the artist just lowered the mouth too much when drawing the head at a raised angle for the sake of having his expression read more clear
Yep. Don't think the intention was there, just can be easily misconstrued unfortunately.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think it's intentional, just poor art that emphasizes parts of his face poorly for emotional effect. The poor attention to anatomical consistency is what makes this look exaggerated to the almost offensive level it's at.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
It's weird, because in both the suspect panel and the other example panel, the artist gave Mace this really prominent philtrum and brow ridge that Sam Jackson just doesn't have. And super big, round ears on the suspect image, which - again - Jackson doesn't have.

I imagine it was probably less of a case of "I will draw a racist caricature of Sam Jackson" and probably more about long-standing issues with the caricature techniques historically applied to Black people. Drawing Black people - especially Black men - as ape-like has been an issue with cartoons and comics for a long, long time, and it's essentially baked in to cartooning techniques.

Sayuz

Apr 29, 2019
DiH4rer.png

idk, it looks like a heavily stylized artstyle to me. Apparently the guy only drew two issues so far with little to no other characters.

Besides looking a bit thin here (I guess that belt really sucks in the waist!), my man, the Count of Serreno is looking good as always. That's a plus, at least!

nutmeg

Apr 23, 2021
From the examples given, I want to say it was one freak panel that didn't turn out well.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
The style looks pretty to me..but yeah that panel is fucked

Is there really no one notice this before it get out?
The artist, letterer, colorist, editor all looking to same product. And no one is like, hey maybe this panel looks odd.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix

e: I guess I don't know anything about him personally, but he works a lot with Brian Michael Bendis who has adopted black children and I'd guess wouldn't put up with any of that if it's been evident before.
I'd just thought I'd point out the Laura Ingraham adopted a Black child. I guess my point is, it's not really a good way to judge whether a person may or may not be racist, just like who they marry isn't (McConnell is married to an Asian woman).

Anyway, on topic, it does seem like that particular panel is the problem. I have to wonder why they decided to go forward with it when it is quite obviously racist looking. Should have been reworked quite obviously.

Nov 17, 2017

Is this what "he can't be racist, he has a black friend" has evolved into?

I'm waiting for "but his cousin's wife always has friendly small talk with the black lady at the grocery store!"
I don't think it's racist. Judging by the artist work, it's just bad.
The best part about all of this is... it doesn't actually matter. Like everyone can give their two cents if they think the artist is racist or not and I'm never in the mood to argue with Era folks on what black people are allowed to see as racist. The image is racist regardless of intent and shouldn't have gotten through whatever approval process they go through to publish these comics.

Clearly none of us Black folks are a part of the process
You know we aren't part of the process here.

OH - you're talking about the comic...

Jan 18, 2018
I don't think it's intentional, just poor art that emphasizes parts of his face poorly for emotional effect. The poor attention to anatomical consistency is what makes this look exaggerated to the almost offensive level it's at.
Almost offensive?
It's just offensive.
And all these white folks hand waiving the issue here are part of the problem