• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cherubae

Oct 31, 2017
Beaverton, Oregon, USA
I do have a question - a streamer I watch had the "choice" today improve the town by giving up Ori Ingots, Bricks, or green lumber (I forgot the name). They chose bricks and the building (Town Hall) changed to a brick building. Is it possible that each of these story progression events leads to different physical appearances to the town over time? That kind of feature adds a lot of replay value for me, as I'll want to see every variant of every upgrade.

For the lamp post fix-up from Victor I tried all three options and they all turned out exactly the same visually. It feels like perhaps the plan was to have the different materials influence how the town was going to look, but in the end wasn't included. Or possibly that all three requests were meant to be completed to continue, which would have made the game more challenging.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
honestly i'm glad they're bringing in a new scenario writer to expand on the dialogue. it can be really reductive to lay all of a game's flaws on one person, but a lot of the game's writing doesn't really land. sometimes it feels like a budget thing ("oh no the farmer is drowning and laura has to save them! off screen, of course."), sometimes it just feels like the writing is off. there's a scene where jack is running the shop and asks the player to ask for things the store would never have in stock and i guess it's supposed to be funny and demonstrate that jack is kind of a weirdo but it just feels off. maybe it would be better if the scenes were longer and had a little bit more back and forth, maybe it would be better if the characters had more daily dialogue to establish their traits a little more. i guess with 200+ events they can't all be winners.

i will say that generally the events that don't involve the player, and instead are just vignettes of the townspeople interacting, work better.

OP
OP
Nilou

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like the percentage for a rare crop goes up with higher crop levels. Once I got up to 10 stars it happened a lot more.
my anecdotal experience is that it seems like certain crops have a higher chance to be rare (as mentioned i've seen a lot of rare eggplants and rare melons).

I've gotten a giant turnip too, and rare apples (they had apparently been ready for harvest for a few days and i just... didn't realize it because of the color)

another positive aspect of this game: i've found it very easy to find heart events. they seem to have a much larger window of opportunity than in previous games (i remember trio of towns in particular being really annoying and having to consult a guide to find them).

Thank you both! I'm currently in the fall so im going to use the time i have left for melons being in season to try and get some rare ones.

Also i really enjoy that about the heart events too. Much easier to activate and find them.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it's too much to ask if they could bring back Setsuko Miyakoshi as a scenario writer, if not as whoever they're bringing on now, maybe the next game. Her characters have always been without a doubt the most beloved in the series.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Currently at summer 9 and so far here are my biggest complaints, some of which I know might change based on the upcoming patch:
Makers - There are too many types (I would personally shrink it down to five maker types ex: building materials, textiles, seeds, egg/milk, and refined ingredients) and you have to litter your farm with them to make items needed for story and farm progression.
Farm editing - I wish there was a mode that you did all editing like in prior games in so that when you walk over road pieces, you do not constantly get the prompt to remove the pieces.
Menus - You cannot auto-sort your bag/crafting recipes/fridge/storage bins and the villager page I would prefer to not be automatically be sorted.
Livestock - I would be okay with the breeding requirements if they did not apply to chickens.

Even with all those in mind, I am still having fun and having the camera back works well with the new museum feature.

Oct 28, 2017
i'd probably be fine with it if you could just put an egg in the incubator instead of having to go to the livestock store
Chicken requirements are bunk to me because you need the enormous coop for 2 animals? Chicken and Silkie only? Why aren't rabbits at least a coop animal? Why can't you just breed them in the smaller coop if there's only 2 coop animals? Why require the generational breeding system, forcing you to have an enormous coop down on your land for like a year to get to the 5th generation? I don't actually mind the breeding system being similar to other livestock, but the fact is you're going to need at least 2 enormous barns and one enormous coop just to achieve endgame goals with all the animals. This is the stuff that bums me out, space management sucks if you have to deal with the clock running while decorating. Bring back the time-free decorating system!

In case you can't tell, I lost my patience waiting for the patch and started playing.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
or at least have a third bird type for the coop like in Trio

what i'd really like is a shortcut from the third farm area back to the main farm area, i feel like that'd make me feel less pressured to have so much crap piled up in my main farm area.

also i'll just throw it out there it's very dumb that laura goes to work at the tourist booth during storms?? i guess maybe the tourist booth is used for network features i don't use, but it's super weird to just see her chilling over there (and tourists walking around in the storm being all "i don't think i'll be able to do much sight seeing today!")...

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
also i'll just throw it out there it's very dumb that laura goes to work at the tourist booth during storms?? i guess maybe the tourist booth is used for network features i don't use, but it's super weird to just see her chilling over there (and tourists walking around in the storm being all "i don't think i'll be able to do much sight seeing today!")...
Yes, her booth is where that is done. And on that note, while I am enjoying most of the postcards I have come across from others, a few others I am less fond of.

Intraxidance

Oct 25, 2017
I decided to revisit Trio of Towns after wrapping up PoOT, and while it definitely confirms to me how mediocre the latest installment is, one thing PoOT did really well was I never felt like my progress was stuck. I keep being unable to make progress in 3oT because I'll need a specific item to increase a town rank and it'll be out of season. Whelp guess I'm waiting 3 seasons to grow coconuts or some shit.

or at least have a third bird type for the coop like in Trio

what i'd really like is a shortcut from the third farm area back to the main farm area, i feel like that'd make me feel less pressured to have so much crap piled up in my main farm area.

I ended up barely using the third plot of land. It was inconvenient to have it away from my main place of operations.
Storms were odd to me. It was such a weird mixture having that upbeat summer music going on in the middle of a hurricane. I ended up actually going into the settings to shut off the background music because the mood was just off-putting. Then you run into town and Laura/tourists are out and about, not a care in the world (though that may be accurate for tourists)

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
i did like that PoOT gives you a couple of options for the storyline missions, but at the same time they didn't feel, i guess, challenging enough? like for every story mission i already had what i needed to turn in. i guess it's pretty difficult to balance something like that, but particularly in this game, where crop are multiseason, i feel like they could have done a little more to make me work for it

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I always hated the dumb item checklists being tied to progression. Part of me was like "cool, they're way easier now so I don't have to care" but another part was like "so why did they even bother then?"

mutt

Dec 28, 2020
just got my copy, is it worth starting now, or should I just wait until the May update?

Dec 14, 2017
I have a quick question. If I buy the game digitally with the season pass combo, does the season pass automatically download when it becomes available, or do I need to find it in the store and download it?

Basically, does it work like an update?

Oct 28, 2017
I have a quick question. If I buy the game digitally with the season pass combo, does the season pass automatically download when it becomes available, or do I need to find it in the store and download it?

Basically, does it work like an update?
Yes, it should work like an update and automatically download the content when it becomes available. If it doesn't for some reason you should be able to manually trigger the download as well. I've had to do that before when my Internet was down all night. Worth noting that you should be able to add it just by searching for updates from the game icon (press plus while the icon is selected), not through trawling through the eShop and all that.

Dec 14, 2017
Yes, it should work like an update and automatically download the content when it becomes available. If it doesn't for some reason you should be able to manually trigger the download as well. I've had to do that before when my Internet was down all night. Worth noting that you should be able to add it just by searching for updates from the game icon (press plus while the icon is selected), not through trawling through the eShop and all that.
So helpful! Thanks. I bounced off Mineral Town because I got almost no tutorial. Is this better? Just basic stuff, I mean. Also. No needing to ship things before 6 p.m., right?

Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
So helpful! Thanks. I bounced off Mineral Town because I got almost no tutorial. Is this better? Just basic stuff, I mean. Also. No needing to ship things before 6 p.m., right?

There are several quality of life upgrades, and a handy notebook in your farm in case you want to review any tutorial info. If you haven't started yet though, you should probably wait for the next update as they promised to improve some game mechanics.

You can put stuff in the shipping bin anytime, but you only get the money on the next morning, so its better if you put in there at night but slightly worse if you do it early in the day.

Dec 14, 2017
There are several quality of life upgrades, and a handy notebook in your farm in case you want to review any tutorial info. If you haven't started yet though, you should probably wait for the next update as they promised to improve some game mechanics.

You can put stuff in the shipping bin anytime, but you only get the money on the next morning, so its better if you put in there at night but slightly worse if you do it early in the day.
The makers, right? When will the update come?

Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
Well, I just found out that upgrading the town+clearing the trees that lead to the 3rd farm area before a festival breaks your save and you can't progress anymore. I guess this is break time for me after I wasted 105 hours in this buggy mess.

I really love Story of Seasons and was liking this game a lot. I really didn't mind the performance issues. But now I regret buying it despite the reviews (and not only that, I got the complete edition with all the DLC too). Maybe I'll come back after some patches. I'm glad I still have Bravely Default 2 and New Pokemon Snap is coming soon to distract me from this game.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Currently in mid winter now, at 86% task completion, with the hydro plant, completing the museum, final tool upgrades, and final house upgrade (what a giant price leap) being my next hurdles. Here are more of my thoughts:
With the moped, I feel as though the horse is only an aesthetic choice now. At least the pets have hearts and one festival! Mine just sits in its stable watching my other animals graze.
Speaking of animals grazing, make it easier to move them as they sometimes stick together. The game's way of pushing them is not that helpful.
Let all non-rank items (minus the treasure bags) stack in the bag/storage.
Mushroom and honey farming is where it's at.
I feel the sprites could be better utilized or something because several of them (crop/animal/fish) just give you more stuff to ship.
The shipping box should not have a limit.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I feel the sprites could be better utilized or something because several of them (crop/animal/fish) just give you more stuff to ship.
The shipping box should not have a limit.

the way these two issues intersect means i basically stopped talking to the sprites except for the ore one and the shop

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

Trailer for the next part of the expansion pass, which includes the ANB returning characters.

img_4_silhouette.png

dlc2_ss01.png

dlc2_ss02.png

SoS-DLC_04-20-21.jpg

Last edited:

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Wonder if the DLC characters will go into Olive Town versus just staying in their new areas.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Other than hitting the moles in the mines, there is no actual combat in this game. You might be interested in the Rune Factory games though if you are looking for combat and farming!
Farming is a smaller secondary thing in Rune Factory, so it really depends on what you value.

Intraxidance

Oct 25, 2017
Video of the new area + returning characters. Spoilers of course.

Seems pretty disappointing overall. This kind of DLC just isn't worth buying.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
The more I see of this game, and it's expansions, the more I want it, but when the price is right. When I can get the Game + Expansion bundle for $50 I'll jump on this.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
i was wondering if the DLC places were gonna be specific season-themed but i guess not. it's a little weird there isn't anything to forage in those areas, but i'm not surprised that the fish are the same as they are in the base game.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
My girlfriend is looking for a farming game on Switch. Doesn't like pixel artstyles and isn't much of a gamer yet so Stardew is out leaving this, Mineral Town, and Farm Together.

My question is which is better for a newcomer: Olive Town or Mineral Town? I think she is mostly in for the farming and characters, not so much mining/adventure mechanics. Thanks if anyone can help!

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend is looking for a farming game on Switch. Doesn't like pixel artstyles and isn't much of a gamer yet so Stardew is out leaving this, Mineral Town, and Farm Together.

My question is which is better for a newcomer: Olive Town or Mineral Town? I think she is mostly in for the farming and characters, not so much mining/adventure mechanics. Thanks if anyone can help!

Olive Town's cast of characters is noticeably weaker, but the main gameplay stuff is strong and addictive, moreso than Mineral Town which is probably too simple for modern genre enthusiasts. A lot of Mineral Town's more significant things to earn involve trudging through its mines too, so Olive Town's comparably simpler mining would probably be more welcome in this case.

There's supposed to be a dialog update later this month too, so that may help bridge the gap for the weaker characters.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Olive Town's cast of characters is noticeably weaker, but the main gameplay stuff is strong and addictive, moreso than Mineral Town which is probably too simple for modern genre enthusiasts. A lot of Mineral Town's more significant things to earn involve trudging through its mines too, so Olive Town's comparably simpler mining would probably be more welcome in this case.

There's supposed to be a dialog update later this month too, so that may help bridge the gap for the weaker characters.

Yeah the hard part for her will be finding the line of too simple and simple enough that she doesn't lose patience.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
the official guidebook apparently came out in Japan at the end of April, and it's sort of like "whatever" for the most part but the promo images they released revealed that it contains some character early character designs + commentary so that's cute
oEZxmpO.jpg

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
Any word about when that dialogue patch is dropping this month (assuming it still is)? I really want to get this game, but want to wait until some of those changes mentioned actually happen.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Any word about when that dialogue patch is dropping this month (assuming it still is)? I really want to get this game, but want to wait until some of those changes mentioned actually happen.

I checked Reddit last night and everyone there is saying the end of this month.

I played an hour and noped out. Waiting for this huge patch to fix shit up lol

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Same here. My wishlist is:

—improved dialogue
—character portraits (not likely)
—major performance fixes for the stutter
—Maker overhaul so there aren't 8000 machines that take up half my farm

Here's hoping!!
This is what I am hoping for the most. My farm does not feel like a farm, it feels like a 24 hour construct zone.