• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

There's also a blog post talking about the next patch after this one.

The next patch will be medium sized and releases at the end of May.

The big changes in the next patch will be:
-modify and and add conversation text
-modify makers

For "modify and and add conversation text" it looks like they got a new scenario writer and all of the marriage candidates will be getting new dialogue

For the Makers they are making it so that you can make multiple items with a single Maker

Patch 1.05 in May will:
・Adjusts some of the residents' existing dialogue and adds new dialogue
・Changes the functionality of all makers
・Improves visuals during eating scenes
・Adds the ability to lock movement in a straight line
・Adjusts cooking times
・Removes the need to press the A Button when moving from indoors to outdoors

They say they will continue to do more patches in the future and are looking into doing free updates(as in content).

Last edited:

Intraxidance

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's nice to see, reducing loading times will make the game better to play. Going from the farm->town and back is rough. 1.05 seems to have things in it that are more game play related and will have a bigger impact, it's really a shame the game was released in the state that it's in.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
I had my American friend order the limited edition because it was better than the Europe one, and it sounds like by the time i get to play it will be a much better game.

Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
The patches seems promising and I'm seriously considering restarting the fame after they're released for the english version. It would suck to lose 2 years of progress, but if it's a better experience... the fishing list bug really soured me on the game, hoping it gets fixed soon.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to pick the game up after the May patch!

Also what are the chances they are gonna add portraits to the dialogue? Is this something that is feasible to add via patch or rather something they take the feedback with them to the next game?

Last edited:

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

Also how are the chances they are gonna add portraits to the dialogue? Is this something that is feasible to add via patch or rather something they take the feedback with them to the next game?
They said they are going to adjust the presentation for when you are talking to people, but we don't know how they are planning on doing it yet. Portraits would require the artist to draw over 100 of them, so I'm not expecting it, but there's no way to know.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Also what are the chances they are gonna add portraits to the dialogue? Is this something that is feasible to add via patch or rather something they take the feedback with them to the next game?

I expect them to adjust the camera while talking to people to make it easier to see their faces, but portraits probably aren't happening. They wouldn't just need to draw up over a hundred portraits, they'd also need to drastically change cutscene direction. This mockup kinda shows how ugly portraits would be during cutscenes, with them almost completely blocking what's going on and the models as they express themselves.

Intraxidance

Oct 25, 2017
I expect them to adjust the camera while talking to people to make it easier to see their faces, but portraits probably aren't happening. They wouldn't just need to draw up over a hundred portraits, they'd also need to drastically change cutscene direction. This mockup kinda shows how ugly portraits would be during cutscenes, with them almost completely blocking what's going on and the models as they express themselves.

Portraits aren't really needed for the cut scenes, they work fine on their own. The problem is the vast majority of the time you are talking to townsfolk outside of cut scenes, and that's where the portraits add a lot of personality. Hell some of the times I talk to people and both are faces are covered, or sometimes we're hiding behind a building.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
The May update sounds like the one I want to buy the game after but I'll wait to see what's planned for the one after that as well. But it's good they are taking this seriously and delivering quickly (if you count post-release quick....).

OP
OP
Nilou

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they tone down the puddles at the very least one day, even when it doesn't rain there's always a dozen of them minimum on each plot of land. Tree sprouts are annoying too but not as much as the puddles but too much stuff spawns each new day. I want to know why even with a gold hammer they still take 3 swings with the hammer to get rid of. I have a gold bucket and I honestly have no clue what the bucket upgrades are supposed to do as it feels like it takes the exact same amount of time to drain a puddle in the 3rd area with a gold bucket as it did with the default/iron bucket. Can we please be able to store animal related makers in the animal buildings, I think this is the very first SoS/HM game where the makers can't be placed in buildings. Would love to be able to have some of my chests in my house/related barns as well. Linked storage of the chests via tabs like the fridge is something I wish for. These are just some of the things I hope they tweak/make changes too in the game going forward as while I'm absolutely hooked on the core gameplay loop theres just a lot of unnecessary, tedium and un-user friendly decisions added to this game for some reason.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they tone down the puddles at the very least one day, even when it doesn't rain there's always a dozen of them minimum on each plot of land. Tree sprouts are annoying too but not as much as the puddles but too much stuff spawns each new day. I want to know why even with a gold hammer they still take 3 swings with the hammer to get rid of. I have a gold bucket and I honestly have no clue what the bucket upgrades are supposed to do as it feels like it takes the exact same amount of time to drain a puddle in the 3rd area with a gold bucket as it did with the default/iron bucket. Can we please be able to store animal related makers in the animal buildings, I think this is the very first SoS/HM game where the makers can't be placed in buildings. Would love to be able to have some of my chests in my house/related barns as well. Linked storage of the chests via tabs like the fridge is something I wish for. These are just some of the things I hope they tweak/make changes too in the game going forward as while I'm absolutely hooked on the core gameplay loop theres just a lot of unnecessary, tedium and un-user friendly decisions added to this game for some reason.
That's most likely a consequence of the farm and forest being the same area. The rates are the way they are in the forest so people just starting won't run out of stuff like trees for resources. We'll see what they do with it.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this is another in their half-step exploratory games trying out different things which kinda blows since I feel like that's what a lot of these games have been for a while. At least they're responsive I guess.

God, I hope the performance on RF5 isn't completely borked.

OP
OP
Nilou

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Would anyone object to me renaming this thread to become the OT? It's essentially what this thread has been for awhile in everything but name given there isn't any other thread.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, may as well just use this one since it's already here. I genuinely thought it had an OT maker lined up ages ago and just never bothered to look. Was gonna try my hand at making one for FoMT when it was releasing and saw it was taken aaages before I was considering it.

Portraits aren't really needed for the cut scenes, they work fine on their own. The problem is the vast majority of the time you are talking to townsfolk outside of cut scenes, and that's where the portraits add a lot of personality. Hell some of the times I talk to people and both are faces are covered, or sometimes we're hiding behind a building.

Yeah, which is what I think they're gonna try to do with making the camera angles better for regular dialog. I'd be impressed if they added portraits too, but just anything to make expressions easier to read outside scenes.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
You Need 200 Heavy Lumber For The Next Patch

OP
OP
Nilou

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Added release/price info, screenshots, launch trailer and basic info to the first post.

Oct 28, 2017
Added release/price info, screenshots, launch trailer and basic info to the first post.
Thanks for going the extra mile and converting the thread to an OT.

The new patch looks great in motion, noticed a lot less lag on the more heavily decorated areas on the couple of streamers I watch regularly. The next update sounds like they're going to be adding enough content that I'll break down and play it myself. Been totally absorbed in Animal Crossing and watching streams lately, so that will be a nice change of pace.

OP
OP
Nilou

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
You're welcome!

After discussing it with the admins we decided to split the thread into a separate OT to preserve the original news, so now we have a whole dedicated OT thread to ourselves!

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Is there any idea on when patches should be coming out? I got the game at launch, got to summer and fell off hard. I hate the maker management--my pockets always feel way too full....

Edit: oop, just saw the post. Guess I'll be dipping back in around late may!

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I said it earlier in the thread but I really want to see them go full industrialist and you just end up with Factorio Farm

OP
OP
Nilou

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Added a ton of new graphics and info to the OP just now, not bad for my first ever attempt at a game OT I don't think.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Added a ton of new graphics and info to the OP just now, not bad for my first ever attempt at a game OT I don't think.
You actually did a really good job and is making a passerby like me interested in the game lol that's the beauty of OTs. A good OT can spark interest in someone who was just clicking around on threads.

Oct 28, 2017
Nope, is this a rec or a warning?
Just a curiosity on my part. Innocent Life is a Bokujō Monogatari spin-off released around the same time as the first Rune Factory. Rune Factory being the "fantasy" spin on the series, and Innocent Life being the "science fiction" one. The end game of Innocent Life focuses heavily on automation. I really liked the game on the PSP and also bought the game's Special Edition on the PS2. The game is fairly retro these days and there's some features missing, such as marriage, so if those are dealbreakers then you might not enjoy it. If you're able to, you might consider giving it a shot. It isn't even that expensive, considering the age and platform it was originally released on.

I do like recommending this game to others, but it doesn't come without some caveats. Like most BokuMono games. It also bums me out that this spin-off was never successful, so the potential of the ideas presented in Innocent Life were never fully realized. I like imagining a world where we're currently getting an Innocent Life 5 to go alongside Rune Factory 5, because that would rock.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Finally going to dive into this after work today. Best Buy said my in store pick up pre-order was delayed for over a week even though they had copies in store per the website. I finally tried doing a same day pick up order yesterday, which was ready for pick up in under 30 minutes.

OP
OP
Nilou

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
feeling very gaslit by this OT thread
The explanation is pretty simple. Essentially since no OT was made when the game released and many people posted in the other thread making it an unofficial OT thread, all posts made since the game released in NA were split off from the announcement thread and added to a separate threads that's now the actual OT for the game. This was done to preserve the original announcement/news thread and to prevent previous ongoing conversations and discussions of the game post release from getting lost had the OT been a clean slate start. The threads essentially mimicking as if it was created back when the game first released in NA on March 23rd.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
do all crops have a rare variant or is it just some? i'm feeling like maybe there isn't a rare Green Pepper considering as many as I have grown, especially compared to how common i've seen rare Melons and Eggplants

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Picked this up on launch but it sounds like the devs are adding a bunch to the game over the coming months so I guess I will hold off on starting this for the time being. Nice to hear that many of you are enjoying the game even with some issues.

OP
OP
Nilou

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
do all crops have a rare variant or is it just some? i'm feeling like maybe there isn't a rare Green Pepper considering as many as I have grown, especially compared to how common i've seen rare Melons and Eggplants

I didn't know any crop had rare variants, that's pretty neat. I did find a Milk+ once, but as far as I know all the crops I've harvested have been normal. Is there certain requirements or just a simple rare/low % chance that it'll be a rare variant?

Intraxidance

Oct 25, 2017
many of them do, including some fruits. You can look in the encyclopedia and it should be clear which ones have special crops based on the outline. off the top of my head I can think of potato, tomato, corn, leek, one of the cabbages, strawberry, avacado, apple, daikon, but I never encountered a green pepper variant.

I didn't know any crop had rare variants, that's pretty neat. I did find a Milk+ once, but as far as I know all the crops I've harvested have been normal. Is there certain requirements or just a simple rare/low % chance that it'll be a rare variant?

It feels like the percentage for a rare crop goes up with higher crop levels. Once I got up to 10 stars it happened a lot more.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

my anecdotal experience is that it seems like certain crops have a higher chance to be rare (as mentioned i've seen a lot of rare eggplants and rare melons).

many of them do, including some fruits. You can look in the encyclopedia and it should be clear which ones have special crops based on the outline. off the top of my head I can think of potato, tomato, corn, leek, one of the cabbages, strawberry, avacado, apple, daikon, but I never encountered a green pepper variant.

I've gotten a giant turnip too, and rare apples (they had apparently been ready for harvest for a few days and i just... didn't realize it because of the color)

another positive aspect of this game: i've found it very easy to find heart events. they seem to have a much larger window of opportunity than in previous games (i remember trio of towns in particular being really annoying and having to consult a guide to find them).

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, they removed the previous games restrictions regarding events. In many past titles, you were only able to see one event per day, which made it very hard to woo candidates who had events which trigger starting at night (such as Wayne in Trio of Towns) because you were practically guaranteed to hit another event during a screen transition long before sunset.

I'm rather happy they removed this restriction although it does mean you can spend a significant portion of time in a single day seeing events, but they also pause the clock while you're watching them, so it isn't too much of an imposition.

I do have a question - a streamer I watch had the "choice" today improve the town by giving up Ori Ingots, Bricks, or green lumber (I forgot the name). They chose bricks and the building (Town Hall) changed to a brick building. Is it possible that each of these story progression events leads to different physical appearances to the town over time? That kind of feature adds a lot of replay value for me, as I'll want to see every variant of every upgrade.

Intraxidance

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, they removed the previous games restrictions regarding events. In many past titles, you were only able to see one event per day, which made it very hard to woo candidates who had events which trigger starting at night (such as Wayne in Trio of Towns) because you were practically guaranteed to hit another event during a screen transition long before sunset.

I'm rather happy they removed this restriction although it does mean you can spend a significant portion of time in a single day seeing events, but they also pause the clock while you're watching them, so it isn't too much of an imposition.

I do have a question - a streamer I watch had the "choice" today improve the town by giving up Ori Ingots, Bricks, or green lumber (I forgot the name). They chose bricks and the building (Town Hall) changed to a brick building. Is it possible that each of these story progression events leads to different physical appearances to the town over time? That kind of feature adds a lot of replay value for me, as I'll want to see every variant of every upgrade.

I'm not sure since you only choose one out of the three to donate and continue the story, but I doubt it. After each donation the town didn't really feel any different to me anyway. I ended up just choosing whatever material was cheapest/easiest for me to get.

Speaking of which, if you're going to watch PoOT streams all day (this sounds bad) you should just play the game dude!

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure since you only choose one out of the three to donate and continue the story, but I doubt it. After each donation the town didn't really feel any different to me anyway. I ended up just choosing whatever material was cheapest/easiest for me to get.

Speaking of which, if you're going to watch PoOT streams all day (this sounds bad) you should just play the game dude!
Not all day, while I'm playing Animal Crossing! I'm definitely going to start playing when the next patch drops.