• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
To be clear, the image I posted was from Harvest Moon:Light of Hope (made by Natume who essentially stole the series name as far as I'm concerned) and not the new Story of Seasons (made by the previous Harvest Moon devs). I was trying to say that new Harvest Moons look like shit and new Story of Seasons look totally fine

OH big relief LOL I thought this was the new SOS and was trying to stay optimistic haha

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The official website updated:
-Minigames from Tree of Tranquility are back
-They added a section about crafting and cooking
-It's confirmed that you can go to volcanoes and sky islands in addition to mines
-The different seasons are shown off
-A bistro, tool shop, general store, florist, food shop, beauty salon, and the people that run them were revealed
-You can build up your towns. The example they show is changing the road material

They also shared screenshots showing the new animations for upgraded tools:
ss_farm_04_01.jpg

ss_farm_04_02.jpg

I said this before, but this game is shaping up to be one of the best in the series. You have the stuff they learned from other games over the past few years and you have content/features that was either in or cut from the Wii games finally returning.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Yeah it seems like it'll be a really good one. This one in March then Rune Factory 5 that looks really ambitious in May, this will be insane :)

Lirose

May 30, 2018
Game looks really really fun. Was initially disappointed in the graphics but I've come around. The only thing that could disappoint me now is if it runs poorly. The Doraemon SOS had some bad lag on my Switch.

Rozart

Oct 28, 2017
Aw, I was hoping they'd move away from the recent Friends of Mineral Town art style. I preferred the art style for the SoS games on the 3DS.

Still excited for the game either way. (I still have hope that one day they'll return to the ToT and Animal Parade styled games).

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Aw, I was hoping they'd move away from the Friends of Mineral Town art style. I preferred the art style for the SoS games on the 3DS.

Still excited for the game either way. (I still have hope that one day they'll return to the ToT and Animal Parade styled games).
This is a different art style from Friends of Mineral Town.

Friends of Mineral Town:
105602508_10158819868371416_3198556866466542041_o.jpg

story-of-seasons-friends-of-mineral-town-screenshot5_1024x1024.jpg

Pioneer's of Olive Town:

z_5f998fe727ad1.png

z_5f998f806b365.png

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Games looking great!
I didn't love the graphics at first, but reading about the gameplay systems and this sounds like a worthy successor to Trio of Towns. I will be playing day 1 for sure.

A year with this, Rune Factory 5, and Stardew Valley 1.5 patch is almost too good to be true :))

Rozart

Oct 28, 2017
This is a different art style from Friends of Mineral Town.

Friends of Mineral Town:
105602508_10158819868371416_3198556866466542041_o.jpg

story-of-seasons-friends-of-mineral-town-screenshot5_1024x1024.jpg

Pioneer's of Olive Town:

z_5f998fe727ad1.png

z_5f998f806b365.png

:D :D :D !!! I'm actually getting some ToT vibes from the character models!

And there's actually some (from what it looks like) pretty extensive farm/town customisation too! Complete with actual pathing ala ACNH/Stardew Valley.

This is going to be one of my most anticipated 2021 games.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
There was a Chinese interview about the game and some details:
-Game has been in development for 2.5 years and theme is exploration. The game will be throwing you into a forest instead of a ranch to bring the player closer to nature
-60 crops to grow. FoMT remake had 20 for comparison
-There are both simple and complex mines
-You can make clothes at the tailor
-Restaurants are part of the game's social aspect. There are characters that like to cook and you can give them your cooking
-The animals in the game all have the same artstyle as FoMT. They want the character style to change as it fits a given title, but have one consistent style for the animals in games
-In addition to heart events there will also be events about listening to worries and emphasizing individuality with the marriage candidates
-No secret candidates this time around, but they are discussing whether or not other candidates can get married with each other(aka rivals)
-It is possible to date multiple people like in FoMT
-Your spouse will not help you on your farm because they have their own lifestyle and careers
-There will be more to do with children growing up over time compared to FoMT. Children can't become adults, but there is more growth than FoMT
-Kids can't be customized, but characteristics of both parents will be reflected to an extent
-Can't talk about whether or not old characters will cameo, but it has been discussed
-Same amount of town characters as FoMT, but slightly less marriage candidates(FoMT had the two new candidates and the special candidates)
-The worldview has been redesigned and it took longer to develop characters. Compared to previous titles the character personalities are more complex, so there are less characters to love, but more depth
-No Harvest Sprites
-Multiseasonal crops are back
-No new animals, but many old ones including goats and buffalos are returning. Different chicken variantions and many different types of animals you can ride
-Animals can be tamed in the forest and brought back to your farm to be raised

Gematsu article show the previous stuff from the website update:
Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town details crafting, seasons, discovery, town development, and more residents - Gematsu

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
The more i read about it the more i am reassured of this game. It's not my most favourite artstyle (that'd be AWL or AP), but it looks very nice and i'm all for variation. Gameplay looks meaty as well.

However:

-The animals in the game all have the same artstyle as FoMT. They want the character style to change as it fits a given title, but have one consistent style for the animals in games

This flattens my mood. Although classic HM/ SoS, the style for cows and animals in FoMmT and this is quite on the abstract/ stylized side. And if they want to keep one consistent style for the animals in future games they're essentially locking themselves out of other artstyles (ala AWL, AP etc.) without clashing with the animals.
:(

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
two things i want:
- rivals pls
- gay marriage

i didn't scrub through to see if they confirmed ssm yet

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
hell yeah! i bet it'll still be friendship ceremonies in the jpn but hey whatever. wonder what they'll do about the kids in that instance.

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
The theme of this game is exploration. In this game, the ranch area is a forest, and the player can expand the area available through exploration. In the forest, there are also various kinds of discoveries. You don't have to keep exploring, and you can stop when you get to a certain point. It is possible to exploit all the land, or to exploit some and stop. That's why the theme of this work is "exploration".

Some animals and crops are only available through exploration.

Last edited:

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
the illusion of a town that moves without you is good though :(

although i guess every rival event has you basically being a creeper hanging out behind a bush or whatever

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
The full Q&A: https://ranchstoryblog.tumblr.com/p...-pioneers-of-olive-town-information-via-tgbus

I don't know how much I'd read into the idea of "locking" animal designs, especially when past games (pretty sure 3oT) featured both the classic bubble cow and an updated design side-by-side.

Btdt29Z.jpg

Knowing Igusa Matsuyama loves to draw animals, I doubt they'd skip an opportunity to do more animal designs if a game allowed for it.

Didn't think of that, it's been quite a while since i visited my farm on 3oT. Thank you!

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
-No secret candidates this time around
Well that's a bummer, the secret candidates like Inari, Witch, Keira, Harvest King/Goddess are always fun to pursue for a second playthrough, I was hoping they'd actually start expanding them as characters instead of the usual "sorry but I can't live with you see you in a year".

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
-Restaurants are part of the game's social aspect. There are characters that like to cook and you can give them your cooking

i wonder if eating out at a restaurant will take the place of 3ot's "eating a meal with a family" system? i liked that system because you could see dialogue you usually wouldn't because you don't stop by people's houses at 7:30 pm.

re: no secret candidates: i wouldn't rule out DLC candidates like in 3ot.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

a look at crafting. the crafting animation itself seems pretty quick, the materials you need for crafting seem to be capped at 5 different materials, it displays how many you need and how many are in your bag. Paint is a consumable inventory item you use to recolor items, so perhaps that will awaken long lost memories of painting the house in the SNES game

Portalbox

Oct 25, 2017

a look at crafting. the crafting animation itself seems pretty quick, the materials you need for crafting seem to be capped at 5 different materials, it displays how many you need and how many are in your bag. Paint is a consumable inventory item you use to recolor items, so perhaps that will awaken long lost memories of painting the house in the SNES game

This truly looks like the best game in the series in a long time. I'm kind of hyped, to be honest.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
-No new animals, but many old ones including goats and buffalos are returning. Different chicken variantions and many different types of animals you can ride

Considering how many animals in the series have been in one or two games and then dropped from future titles, I am good with them just bringing back older ones.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

You can cook. You can eat food to recover health. You can give food as presents. All this is pretty standard for the series, but you do get a first look at the Reina's Voice Grunting. Also comparing it to previous screenshots, it seems like confirmation that interior design customization is limited to changing the furniture/wallpaper/flooring/etc and not, like, full Animal Crossing/Story of Seasons 1-stlye customization?

Last edited:

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Should I wait for this or get Friends of Mineral Town?

Is there any info about what's new and what it does better and/or different? Really loved Stardew Valley.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Should I wait for this or get Friends of Mineral Town?

Is there any info about what's new and what it does better and/or different? Really loved Stardew Valley.

Stardew Valley was inspired by the Mineral Town era of these games, but Olive Town is inspired by Stardew Valley. If I were you, I'd probs wait for Olive Town, just because it's a fully new game being released in 2021 and not, like, a remake of GBA games.

Rozart

Oct 28, 2017

Nice! Looks like they've got a good number of colour variations for the crafted items too.

gosh, I'm excited. I have a weakness for excessively decorating blank empty spaces. /looks at the amount of hours I've poured into ACNH/Stardew Valley

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
-The worldview has been redesigned and it took longer to develop characters. Compared to previous titles the character personalities are more complex, so there are less characters to love, but more depth
This is a positive to me as long as they have something new to say each day more often than not.

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018
Really hyped for this. I was a bit let down with the FOMM remake, since I prefer the newer, more complex entries. Trio of Towns was amazing. Can't wait!

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
i know everyone is busy playing Stardew Valley 1.5 on their PC gaming device, but let's recap the update tweets:

A look at camera mode. You can take photos of things, and probably upload them to the Internet to share with your friends and do free promotional work for the Marvelous corporation. As mentioned before, you can also take photos of specific wildlife for the Museum. (Also note: Mushroom logs are back)

Buckets can be used to clean up puddles after it rains. This seems to produce Clay. You can also empty out bigger pools and find hidden treasure.

Fishing now has a minigame attached, and fishing baskets are back.

A better look at the museum. You can donate artifacts and fish it seems, as well as photos of wild animals. This also has a look at the load times, and unless there's some trickery they seem pretty quick?

Oct 26, 2017
Huh, look at this!

EqD_YjeXAAUQMfd

If I understand the translation right, it's a pre-order bonus from Rakuten?

Hope this is a sign that they'll include gay marriage again, as I don't think they'd be as open to literal cross-dressing otherwise maybe? Still cool to see for those who want to do this!

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
So from watching the trailer am I right in saying this is something of a "Stardew Valley meets Animal Crossing" type of thing?

Because if so I have a friend who will go nuts for this.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, look at this!

EqD_YjeXAAUQMfd

If I understand the translation right, it's a pre-order bonus from Rakuten?

Hope this is a sign that they'll include gay marriage again, as I don't think they'd be as open to literal cross-dressing otherwise maybe? Still cool to see for those who want to do this!

It was confirmed the day the game was announced. All clothes were unisex in Trio of Towns as well and that game didn't have gay marriage, so clothing will probably the be same here.

So from watching the trailer am I right in saying this is something of a "Stardew Valley meets Animal Crossing" type of thing?

This is the series Stardew Valley was inspired from.

Last edited:

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

A better look at the museum. You can donate artifacts and fish it seems, as well as photos of wild animals. This also has a look at the load times, and unless there's some trickery they seem pretty quick?

It's so good to see this come back to the series. GBC2 and GBC3 having bug/fish collecting and an aquarium and then never doing it again even after Animal Crossing showed up a year or two later and were lauded for the feature has always been ridiculous.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh

Stardew Valley is a Story of Seasons type of thing, because it was inspired from this series. But yeah, the gameplay looks similar to what you've described.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

You can have your pet follow you around like in Trio of Towns, hopefully The Power Of Switch will mean you can actually enter buildings with your pet following you instead of not being able to do that. Pet types on the shopping menu in this video:
Brown Shiba Inu
Black Shiba Inu
White Shiba Inu
Pomeranian
Labrador Retriever

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
what mechanics are influenced by stardew? It looks all like stuff seen in previous games
Off-hand the fishing minigame and placing furniture on your farm. Granted it's been a while since I've last played a story of season/harvest moon game. The last one I played was Harvest Moon: The Tale of Two Towns. New to me for the franchise, but it doesn't surprise me if these things showed up in entries I missed.