• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Did they switch over Harvest Moon to this? Or do they still make Harvest Moon games?

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Pretty different to those games imo.
They are all life sims, generally though.

AC is super chill, low stakes, slow paced goodness.

Stardew is my favorite game in this genre ever. Stunning 2D graphics, GOAT music, very addictive farming, exploring, combat, mining, relationships etc it's incredible.

This new game looks visually like the recent Friends of Mineral Town game which is unfortunate as I find it bland and ugly lol.
But if this new game carries on the tradition of the 3DS games in gameplay, then it will be a good game. The video gave me hope that the structure is going to be there - I honestly think it looks great barring graphics.

Have you played Stardew? If not, I HIGHLY recommend. Playing it in the fall time in real life for some reason is my favorite time to play it :)

I bought it twice for ps4 and switch, havent touched it yet. I feel like I would spend tens of hours in this so I am putting it to backlog.. i have like 150 more games in my backlog so I guess i will get to it sometimes in 2022.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did they switch over Harvest Moon to this? Or do they still make Harvest Moon games?
the name "Harvest Moon" is owned by Natsume, who don't make these games. Natsume and Marvelous split up and now Natsume makes their own games with the name Harvest Moon. and they don't look that great

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not too bothered over the graphics, though I do agree I wish there was more clutter in some of the town environments we've seen. Bokumono has always been more about systems than looks though and I'm extremely interested in finding animals in the wild, rebuilding the farm, and what maaaay be a museum feature? That hasn't been in the series since GBC3 back in, like, 2000.

Story of Seasons is the classic "Harvest Moon" fans know and love.

Nov 11, 2017
I mean

They correctly translated it to 3D?

The massacre would have been to use a stylised artstyle.
It's fine if you prefer the newer style but you can't seriously look at this and say they 'correctly translated' the old character designs

bpwpa4hefzn41.jpg

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Not that hyped with it being top-down again and with still "meh" graphics.

Kind of feels only a minor bump from the 3DS games. After Rune Factory 5 went for the open 3rd-parson view (with a nice bright colorful art-style to combat the not that impressive graphics), this is a let down.

Yeah, I feel same too, I'm still waiting for SoS series to impress me graphically on Switch like it did on 3DS.

But this is understandable. Marvelous is hard at work on Rune Factory 5 (which looks gorgeous) and this should be the starter course for the fans. Doesn't seem to have many new features like 3DS games like Trio of Towns did also.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's fine if you prefer the newer style but you can't seriously look at this and say they 'correctly translated' the old character designs

bpwpa4hefzn41.jpg

They intentionally changed the character designs because most of them weren't made for Mineral Town's characters to begin with. They were copy+pasted from 64 with zero regard for the changes in personality, family, and occupations. Should be pretty notable that the characters from A Wonderful Life that cameo didn't get design changes at all because they didn't need them.

Do hope the next remake project is 64 so those designs come back though.

Nov 11, 2017
They intentionally changed the character designs because most of them weren't made for Mineral Town's characters to begin with. They were copy+pasted from 64 with zero regard for the changes in personality, family, and occupations. Should be pretty notable that the characters from A Wonderful Life that cameo didn't get design changes at all because they didn't need them.

Do hope the next remake project is 64 so those designs come back though.
Yeah that's fair. And honestly, I'm fine with them changing the look of the games if they want and evolving over time, the current style is just not my cup of tea.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA

bpwpa4hefzn41.jpg
Whoa damn, the original character designs are way better. I kept thinking in the trailer how bland and samey the characters all looked.
edit: oh I see you are talking about the FOMT remake. Either way, I don't think I could come up with more boring graphics in my sleep. Some of the environments looked good but everything just lacked so much character.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
A little disappointed that this game seems to more like the 3ds games and less like the Friend of mineral style games

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I wonder what animal plushie will be the pre-order bonus for this, considering the 3DS games and MFoMT had one.

The FuzzPig

Oct 31, 2017
I've not played a story of seasons game since a wonderful life on the game cube, but something about this trailer caught my eye, so I think I'll give this game a try something about it just looked fun to me.

kosmickitten

Jul 2, 2019
I'm not feeling the art style, especially considering I'm in the middle of my Doraemon Story of Seasons play through, and it has an amazing art style. But always hyped for a new SoS. Gotta start dusting off my switch more, two of my favorite genres have pretty much moved exclusively to it - VNs and Farm Sims.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really get the comparisons to mobile games, or the recent Harvest Moon games. What it does remind me of is a 3DS or PS2 game on steroids, which I like quite a bit. I actually like just looking at the game quite a bit, especially the environments.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
This new game actually seems to be adding quite a bit going over the details and that's cool to see.

Not that hyped with it being top-down again and with still "meh" graphics.

Kind of feels only a minor bump from the 3DS games. After Rune Factory 5 went for the open 3rd-parson view (with a nice bright colorful art-style to combat the not that impressive graphics), this is a let down.
Trio of Towns:
STORY-OF-SEASONSTrio-of-Towns-Westown-800x445.png

maxresdefault.jpg

foraging_img2.jpg

Pioneers of Olive Town:
z_5f998fe727ad1.png

z_5f998f806b365.png

z_5f998f80387c7.png

Last edited:

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just here to ask the same question I ask whenever there's a new SoS game announced: will there be gay marriage?

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just here to ask the same question I ask whenever there's a new SoS game announced: will there be gay marriage?

It will be like Friends of Mineral Town: The Japanese version will feature a "Best Friends" ceremony, while the NA versions will have gay marriage.

edit: the graphic from the official website:
pVtMGVX.png

There are five male partners and five female partners for a total of 10. By
You can become partners with members of the same sex by doing a Best Friends Ceremony.

Last edited:

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
It's already confirmed. They've also added more skin tones and customization options based on the customization they've shown off

www.resetera.com

Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town announced for Nintendo Switch, coming March 23, 2021 News

I'm SO excited!! Also gay marriage confirmed on the JPN website (well, "best friends ceremony" in Japan) but XSEED will undoubtedly localize it as gay marriage like they did with FoMT. I love the dude in the biker jacket and the girl with thigh highs omg. Customization looks great too!

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
It's already confirmed. They've also added more skin tones and customization options based on the customization they've shown off

www.resetera.com

Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town announced for Nintendo Switch, coming March 23, 2021 News

I'm SO excited!! Also gay marriage confirmed on the JPN website (well, "best friends ceremony" in Japan) but XSEED will undoubtedly localize it as gay marriage like they did with FoMT. I love the dude in the biker jacket and the girl with thigh highs omg. Customization looks great too!

Great! It's a shame about the best friends bullshit in Japan, but it's good to know they know this isn't acceptable anymore on the west.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Pardon if this is port begging, but does the PC version Friends of Mineral Town announced alongside the Switch western release or is it announced separately ?

I hope the Doraemon and FoTM did well enough sales wise on PC they consider porting this one.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
it's gonna be the goat, believe in her
Either of these would be excellent choices!
Pardon if this is port begging, but does the PC version Friends of Mineral Town announced alongside the Switch western release or is it announced separately ?

I hope the Doraemon and FoTM did well enough sales wise on PC they consider porting this one.
The PC version was announced later I believe.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Great! It's a shame about the best friends bullshit in Japan, but it's good to know they know this isn't acceptable anymore on the west.
The producer wanted it, but it straight up isn't legal in certain areas the games releases including Japan, so they just call it best friends with it being marriage in everything but name. It doesn't really have anything to do with them doing it for the west. It was a requested addition WW.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
I think this was the most interesting announcement of the Partner Showcase to me. I'm not going to get excited yet, but they're saying all the right things about this game so far (gay marriage, better customization)

The farm-building seems very Stardew, and for some reason the clip of cutting down trees reminded me the slightest bit of BOTW. I'm interested to see if they took some inspiration from the recent FOMT remake to capture some of what used to make the series so compelling. It also helps that the art style is way easier on the eyes than the FOMT remake (just in my opinion, lol)

I like that the name is even sort of reminiscent of Mineral Town. Interested to see how this ends up reviewing.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So, I realized Japan is getting a limited time trial of Rune Factory 4 Special starting Nov. 2. Will that be available worldwide? I suppose I could download it on my Japanese account, but I don't know if it'll be in English.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The producer wanted it, but it straight up isn't legal in certain areas the games releases including Japan, so they just call it best friends with it being marriage in everything but name. It doesn't really have anything to do with them doing it for the west. It was a requested addition WW.

I think that was a misunderstanding. Pretty sure there are no laws preventing that in Japan. Probably just meant that some in Japan aren't comfortable seeing gay marriages.

Oct 28, 2017
It will be like Friends of Mineral Town: The Japanese version will feature a "Best Friends" ceremony, while the NA versions will have gay marriage.

edit: the graphic from the official website:

There are five male partners and five female partners for a total of 10. By
You can become partners with members of the same sex by doing a Best Friends Ceremony.
The traditional formula usually also includes at least one "secret" marriage candidate that has extra marriage requirements and/or a hidden relationship value. Examples from the games released in the last six years? A New Beginning had Yuri and Amir, Story of Seasons had Kamil and Licorice, Trio of Towns had Inari for both genders, and the FoMT remake had a good handful of those characters which were also present in the original games. I know that Tfritz likely knows this information but it is worth keeping in mind in general that there may be extra options. They usually don't put these "secret" candidates on their website until after the game is launched, if they do so at all.

I feel like I haven't seen enough of this game yet to make a decision either way, but a lot of the information that's currently available is very promising. Honestly, a full cast of playersexual marriage candidates and extra player customization options are excellent moves on the part of Marvelous and are pushing me in the direction of a Day One purchase. I'd really like a few more details about the core gameplay loop. Really hoping that reclaiming farmland and restoring buildings isn't too onerous of a grindfest, but the sprinkler system displayed in the video and multiple screenshots has me hopeful for more modern QoL improvements in the endgame.

Oct 28, 2017

Really hoping these are part of a DLC bundle for the rest of the world. They should be in Japan as well, in my opinion. Japanese preorders are so backwards. Tchotchkes like stickers, keychains, tote bags, posters, etcetera are fine for retailer exclusive preorder bonuses, but in-game content should never be held hostage behind buying extra copies of the game. I feel awful for Japanese Bokujō Monogatari fans every time a new game is in the preorder window.

Keeping my fingers crossed that NA's preorder bonus is another adorable pocket plushie. An alpaca or goat would be magnificent.

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry for double posting, Marvelous is putting up short character introduction videos of the candidates on their bokumono_PR Twitter account.

Damon:

Bridget:

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
I'm still liking the look of this game, but the lack of 2D character portraits during dialogue is a massive bummer....The 3D models aren't good enough still.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
This looks like a GBA Pokémon in 3D. Not the best possible thing, but certainly a lot better-looking than most farming sims out there.

I wonder if this will be like New Horizons and end up being the same as always after a different start, though.

I'm still liking the look of this game, but the lack of 2D character portraits during dialogue is a massive bummer....The 3D models aren't good enough still.
Now that you mention it, it's a bummer considering how pretty those portraits are...

Oct 28, 2017
Gonna be honest here, the three or four bachelors that have been released haven't wowed me and this animation right here makes Bridget a strong contender for my marriage choice. I didn't jive with the FoMT remake and I really want to get gay married for the first time in the series though. Maybe I'll just break the mold and play as a girl this time.