• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Damn, I like and dislike the artstyle at the same time...don't know how to describe it lol.

But the concept looks really fresh and exciting for an SoS game. Consider me hyped!

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The most surprising thing is that the west only has to wait a month after the Japanese release.

I'm hyped for this.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
Oh wow, we only got to wait a month here in the west. Not what I was expecting but I'll take it.

Beyond excited as this looks like a fresh take on the series and a new SoS is always a good thing.

Oct 26, 2017
Not that hyped with it being top-down again and with still "meh" graphics.

Kind of feels only a minor bump from the 3DS games. After Rune Factory 5 went for the open 3rd-parson view (with a nice bright colorful art-style to combat the not that impressive graphics), this is a let down.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the Friends of Mineral Town remake immensely despite the simplistic graphics, and this definitely looks like a step up in that regard so it'll be an easy purchase come March 23rd! (But why does it have to be released like a week before MH?)

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
I've wanted to get into this series so this may be where I finally do. I did notice some pretty big framedrop in those 5 seconds where the farmer walks through a pretty dense farm. Kind of expected but there's time to work out those kinks in the next 5 months lol.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This looks so bad that I thought it was a Harvest Moon game. Very disappointed when I saw the Story of Seasons title in the end.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
This looks so bad that I thought it was a Harvest Moon game. Very disappointed when I saw the Story of Seasons title in the end.

I thought that too during the initial motorbike riding cutscene (bad HM vibes), but I think I'm liking the sorta "stylized" artstyle more and more. It has not gone full-scale 3D yet, similar to the Friends of Mineral Town remake which also had a nice unique artstyle.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Okay I wasn't the only one, holy carp it looks bad, like a phone game. I am super bummed out right now :(

I was hoping the ugly graphics with the FOMT remake was just a one-time thing, but clearly not. And Rune Factory 5 looks amazing, thank goodness I at least have that.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure about that graphics style, but I'm happy about the new gameplay direction.

I just wish we'd go back to the graphic and and style of games like A Wonderful Life or Animal Parade.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay I wasn't the only one, holy carp it looks bad, like a phone game. I am super bummed out right now :(

I was hoping the ugly graphics with the FOMT remake was just a one-time thing, but clearly not. And Rune Factory 5 looks amazing, thank goodness I at least have that.
At least this! Really looking forward to RF5!

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
w8XYwy.gif

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
Nice! Just started the FOMT remake and it's a real joy to play, and more "real" Harvest Moon is always nice!

And actually, I kinda love the artstyle of both this and FOMT...

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
This looks great. Thank God they didn't go for the Friends of Mineral Town remake route and actually implemented a decent budget.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Overall I like the art style but I wish the MCs looked at bit older. And as many hours as I spent in the 3DS games, I am not a fan of crafting building (versus just upgrading them) and having to chop down a gazillion trees to make room for a crop field and then having to put items on my field to stop the trees from regrowing.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I'm very excited—I really like the crafting buildings and customization that comes with it. SOS FOMT felt to be too faithful of a remake for me (I missed a lot of the modern systems). Hope they keep in gay marriage bc if so I am super excited !!

Nov 2, 2017
I am so excited, love the art direction with interesting characters and cool updated mechanics like the good ones from Stardew Valley.

Lirose

May 30, 2018
Sigh, I don't like the art style at all. I was hoping FOMT SOS graphics was a one time thing since it's a remake. Also no character portraits is very weird. Still a day one purchase though to support the series.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Looks good to me. I like the art style and animations, a marked improvement over FoMT.
this isn't a Rune Factory so I won't compare it to that. It looks vastly better than the current Natsume Harvest Moons and comparing it to mobile farm games shows a lack of perspective.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
How in the HELL did I not know there was a Rune Factory 5 trailer? I completely missed it! This game looks fucking amazing! I am less disappointed with Olive Town now.

Main thing that's a bummer is the lack of character portraits during dialog with NPCs. It wouldn't be as jarring if the camera was more dynamic and looked nicer while talking to them but without the art it feels kind of soulless in a way that I am SUPER not into. I wasn't expecting an amazing leap in graphics over the 3DS games. I just wanted to see better lighting and animations... but without the portraits it actually feels like a downgrade.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I kinda wish they kept up the sorta chibi, round head art style the series had before the 3DS games. The only Story of Seasons game I played was Harvest Moon: Animal Parade on Wii, and I only picked it up because I liked its art style the most. I'll keep my eye on this one, though. I might replay Animal Parade in the meantime. They should put the SNES game on Nintendo Switch Online.

Kirie

Oct 25, 2017
I'm SO excited!!

Also gay marriage confirmed on the JPN website (well, "best friends ceremony" in Japan) but XSEED will undoubtedly localize it as gay marriage like they did with FoMT.

INxSi0F.png

I love the dude in the biker jacket and the girl with thigh highs omg.

Customization looks great too!
w7C3dOh.png

Nov 11, 2017
I kinda wish they kept up the sorta chibi, round head art style the series had before the 3DS games. The only Story of Seasons game I played was Harvest Moon: Animal Parade on Wii, and I only picked it up because I liked its art style the most. I'll keep my eye on this one, though. I might replay Animal Parade in the meantime. They should put the SNES game on Nintendo Switch Online.
Totally agree, the big heads on the long skinny bodies just really puts me off for whatever reason. Can't even bring myself to pick up Mineral Town despite loving the original, the 'look what they did to my boy' vibes were too strong

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Not that hyped with it being top-down again and with still "meh" graphics.

Kind of feels only a minor bump from the 3DS games. After Rune Factory 5 went for the open 3rd-parson view (with a nice bright colorful art-style to combat the not that impressive graphics), this is a let down.

Maybe, but Rune Factory Frontier and Tides of Destiny were both liked a lot less than Rune Factory 4 which ended up being a more traditional top down game. So only time will tell if Rune Factory 5 is as good as 4 or is more along the lines of the other console games.

Harvest Moon A Wonderful Life which was also more ambitious also ended up a bit liked than the more traditional games, too.

In the end with all of these games it ends up being about how they play, how the NPCs are, etc .

eggs

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm yeah not sure about the visual style for this. Kinda wish they could go back to Tree of Tranquility/Animal Parade style with refinements.

Probably still gonna get it though, but yeah.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
i don't understand the "i wish they'd go back to the animal parade style" comments because this is largely what animal parade looked like? the indoor backgrounds don't have as many details, and the farm area seems to forced top down on account of the Stardew Valley of it all, and the trees are kind of ugly because, again, the Stardew Valley of it all.

eggs

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think what I miss most about the old Tree of Tranquility/Animal Parade style is the details. The Story of Seasons artstyle just comes across as a bit too minimal to me, so it has a bit of a phone game feel to it, whereas Tree of Tranquility/Animal Parade feel a little more 'cozy' because of the details.

Taking an example, the store interior of Tree of Tranquility compared to the store we saw in here.
latest

to

9yWfMMq.png

1190614-wiiss75.jpg

wii_harvest-moon-animal-parade_shot4.jpg

RBIEE9-46.png

maxresdefault.jpg

I really liked the Tree of Tranquility/Animal Parade towns since they both have some nice details to them...I guess we haven't seen much of Olive Town yet, but I do miss the detailed vibes of ToT/AP.
8Nc3SRm.png

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's joining a negative chorus, but it bums me out how increasingly bland this series art direction gets, I'd say it never made a good jump to 3D but my first HM game was A Wonderful Life which might still be the peak on a 3D visuals front!

Meanwhile they have this gorgeous looking Doraemon themed SoS game and I'm just thinking why the heck can't that be the kind of base for a mainline game's visuals?! ah well

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Is this some new game in the series? It somehow matches to Stories of Mineral Town or something like that in my head. Am I ways off?

Also: how much is this different than Animal Crossing and Stardew Valley?

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Is this some new game in the series? It somehow matches to Stories of Mineral Town or something like that in my head. Am I ways off?

Also: how much is this different than Animal Crossing and Stardew Valley?

Pretty different to those games imo.
They are all life sims, generally though.

AC is super chill, low stakes, slow paced goodness.

Stardew is my favorite game in this genre ever. Stunning 2D graphics, GOAT music, very addictive farming, exploring, combat, mining, relationships etc it's incredible.

This new game looks visually like the recent Friends of Mineral Town game which is unfortunate as I find it bland and ugly lol.
But if this new game carries on the tradition of the 3DS games in gameplay, then it will be a good game. The video gave me hope that the structure is going to be there - I honestly think it looks great barring graphics.

Have you played Stardew? If not, I HIGHLY recommend. Playing it in the fall time in real life for some reason is my favorite time to play it :)