• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
For the life of me, I'll never understand why Natsume changed the Mineral Town cast names to begin with

The same reason they've invented character names and unique titles for a ton of games they've published--they can own then names and thereby assert more control over the brand than they'd otherwise have.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Excited for this. Though, I'll be more excited when Marvelous' release slate is clear so they can announce a new mainline SoS game for Switch. If the actual landscapes look anything like the ones in Doraemon SoS, I'll be in heaven.

Oct 25, 2017
Because of this thread title I'm imagining the switch case like a cereal box suddenly having marshmallows. Just a gaudy advert that says "NOW WITH GAY MARRIAGE!".

dsripley

Sep 24, 2019
Oh I love the pink cow plush preorder bonus! I still have my yak plush preorder bonus from A New Beginning so I definitely want this one too, it is adorable! I wish they would have given an exact release date instead of just Summer 2020 but I imagine that it won't be too far off from the European release date. Either way it's good to finally have official word!

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Loved this game on GBA, but I'll echo some others here and say that I find the art style in this remake very off-putting. Wish they'd gone for something closer to how those sprites used to look.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Here's the US version of the trailer. Not terribly surprised that Xseed has declined to set a firm date, since they really don't like delaying games and COVID-19 makes forward planning impossible. Nevertheless, I would anticapate that the US release will be around the same time as the EU release (as in plus/minus seven days of the EU release). Opinion: I do think early July is a good shout.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
Stardew Valley is one of my favorite games period, but I think the romance aspect is heavily overblown.

All of the characters can be romanced by any character which admittedly a nice effort to appeal to everyone.

However the lack of any genuine sexual orientation is just unrealistic and makes relationships feel really manufactured as a result.

I hope the Harvest Moon devs aim for a more genuine approach to romance in general.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Really hate it when they go for the chibi style (except for HM 64, that's just classic-timeless look).
I kinda liked the artstyle for A Wonderful Life:
5e2d023f213859699c2df0bca20e47bc.jpg

harvest-moon-a-wonderful-life-2.jpg

Q2Iyl2t.jpg

The Wii games were detailed and clean, but I prefer the "country" look of the PS2/GC games. ~sigh~
I agree... how hard is it to do a modern take on this artstyle?
3ff7ee64256c7774686960c43e4e524c.jpg

It's all I've ever wanted... the perfection of Back to nature gameplay with the looks of this art style... (Not the actual in game style ... cause that was not great)
Instead... the character's heads keep getting bigger and their feet keep shrinking ... It looks dumber and dumber every entry (both Harvest moon AND story of seasons)

arlu

Nov 1, 2017
Venezuela
I mean, yeah, sure. But it's not Magical Melody-levels of chibi pukeness. :S
-1PoanHnDsspN4k0o14S5U9eJwTa47QGP6s1bS8N_VN_rUEhNar5yNQZ1iT_yqhd-4bfr4HVrmut3tw32TZ6yclI1TVJWS44TabRviz8SjekvLjzJFSUWCBDUhvKDcyOhZS1gsC1erN0-4extVTOYvxJfofp9Yw523nVPhsq_K9cE3e6Wn-nRQ

harvest-moon-magical-melody-wii-10.jpg

harvmelrev1.JPG

...Yikes!

I agree... how hard is it to do a modern take on this artstyle?
3ff7ee64256c7774686960c43e4e524c.jpg
That cover art looks great, reminds a lot of the classical charm of HM 64 artwork.

d0a3137543a05f513754e3850cc9c63e.jpg

harvest-moon-64-animals.jpg

In that regards, the Doraemon Story of Season game, perfectly captures the look and feel of the original HM art.
63661f4639404167bd0aaa0ec3a5b882_l.jpg
651438fd5bc64620bb903e5fdf7f1038_l.jpg

Doraemon.jpg

With a little budget and dedication, it is possible for Harvest Moon to not look like crap.

Oct 27, 2017
Animal Parade isn't the best because that frame rate is a fucking nightmare. So Mineral Town takes the cake ;) It's an awesome game, I'd recommend to all.

Localisation Blog #1
OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
They changed the Best Friend system to full on gay marriage? Thank god.

Xseed is posting localisation blogs for the game and the first blog confirms that:
www.xseedgames.com

STORY OF SEASONS: Friends of Mineral Town Localization Blog #1 – XSEED Games

Howdy, everybody! This is John from XSEED Games, here to tell you a little about STORY OF SEASONS: Friends of Mineral Town. It’s been about three years since I wrote about the previous installment in the original farming simulation series, Trio of Towns, and I’ve been eagerly awaiting the chance...

One major change between both the original version and the remake, as well as between our version and the Japanese version, concerns what has been called the "Best Friends" system in the Japanese release, where the player character can form a lifelong partnership with a character of the same sex. In our version, this will just be called "marriage," and the relationship between same-sex couples will be given identical treatment to opposite-sex couples. This has been a very long time coming in the STORY OF SEASONS series, and the producer has been supportive of our decision from very early in development. One minor but important change for the North American and European releases of Friends of Mineral Town is that the "heart icon" indicating a marriage candidate's romantic affinity for the player will display for all marriage candidates from the start of the game, where in the Japanese release it will only display for same-sex candidates after you confess and start dating.

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
Really hate it when they go for the chibi style (except for HM 64, that's just classic-timeless look).
I kinda liked the artstyle for A Wonderful Life:
5e2d023f213859699c2df0bca20e47bc.jpg

harvest-moon-a-wonderful-life-2.jpg

The Wii games were detailed and clean, but I prefer the "country" look of the PS2/GC games. ~sigh~
I put so many hours into A Wonderful Life. Can we get a remake of that?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of games that would be great for quarantine :( wish SoS games didn't take so long to localize.