• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so I finally bought the game for my birthday (tomorrow). Are there any things in particular to focus on at the beginning? Any tricks to level up tools faster, etc?

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so I finally bought the game for my birthday (tomorrow). Are there any things in particular to focus on at the beginning? Any tricks to level up tools faster, etc?

Make sure to plant a lot of cucumbers to give to the kappa for the stamina berry (you'll thank yourself in Winter), always make sure to save before you go to bed and check the weather first thing to save scum around Typhoons and Blizzards because this game threw like three Typhoons at me in the first week of Summer and that's not great!!

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Along with cucumbers for Kappa, make sure to toss the Goddess an item each day to unlock several things. She likes all the flowers you can pick up for free spring through fall. Let the grass seed spread several times before cutting it. Utilize the Nature Sprites by befriending them via items of their color or wheat flour.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Make sure to plant a lot of cucumbers to give to the kappa for the stamina berry (you'll thank yourself in Winter), always make sure to save before you go to bed and check the weather first thing to save scum around Typhoons and Blizzards because this game threw like three Typhoons at me in the first week of Summer and that's not great!!
Along with cucumbers for Kappa, make sure to toss the Goddess an item each day to unlock several things. She likes all the flowers you can pick up for free spring through fall. Let the grass seed spread several times before cutting it. Utilize the Nature Sprites by befriending them via items of their color or wheat flour.
Thanks!

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I'll add to watch the Entertainment channel on Tuesdays for free recipes. Also keep an empty spot in your item and tool inventories, this will allow some cutscenes to trigger.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on like, the 10th day of Spring. I usually water crops in the morning (unless it's raining) then go to the mine. It's convenient that the hot spring is right out front.

Is there anything else I should make time for? I have the copper watering can and hoe. I figure rhe hammer is next, and I've got potatoes and cucumbers in the ground. Where am I supposed to toss donations for the Goddess?

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Harvest Goddess is in the river by the Spring Mine. Flowers are easiest.

I usually forage everything I can. I save 1 of each item a day so I have extras come Winter. In case anyone wants flowers or specific items. The sprites like the grasses.

Kappa in the lake likes cucumbers, give him 10 (over consecutive days, I think).

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Still currently undecided on who to try to marry. I've been focusing on 3 people, Rick who I like the most and if this was any other HM/SoS game I'd be choosing him automatically but since this is the first game in the series to allow same sex marriage (at least in the west) I kinda want to go with one of the girls just out of principle so I'm also shoving hot spring eggs in Ran's face daily. Karen is the 3rd I'm focusing on. Rick/Ran are both at green heart , Karen is blue.

How long until I get more better eggs? Both my chickens are at 3/5 hearts but I still get the basic egg.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Still currently undecided on who to try to marry. I've been focusing on 3 people, Rick who I like the most and if this was any other HM/SoS game I'd be choosing him automatically but since this is the first game in the series to allow same sex marriage (at least in the west) I kinda want to go with one of the girls just out of principle so I'm also shoving hot spring eggs in Ran's face daily. Karen is the 3rd I'm focusing on. Rick/Ran are both at green heart , Karen is blue.
The next Story of Seasons should feature polygamy.

I'm torn between Jennifer and Karen. Karen was the very first girl I married way back in Harvest Moon 64. But Popuri is cute too.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

How long until I get more better eggs? Both my chickens are at 3/5 hearts but I still get the basic egg.

The medium eggs are at 4 stars, but honestly you might as well start hatching new chickens because each new generation raises their max affection.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
The next Story of Seasons should feature polygamy.

I'm torn between Jennifer and Karen. Karen was the very first girl I married way back in Harvest Moon 64. But Popuri is cute too.

That would be something if they ever did haha
I like Jennifer but I've not really seen any of her heart events. Pretty much every single of the normal bachelors/bachelorette are at least at Purple heart level. I was trying to try for Popuri as she's cute but she seems a bit of an airhead. Ive never married the harvest godess in any HM game so I'm tempted to try for it but I don't really want to have to wait until year 5 plus a million other things to be able to try and marry her. Huang is an interesting choice though and I've been giving him some gold every so often in case.

The medium eggs are at 4 stars, but honestly you might as well start hatching new chickens because each new generation raises their max affection.

Wouldn't have guessed all the way at 4 hearts but thanks! Will probably do that. I only have the basic coup at the moment so I was holding off to try and save for maybe a couble rabbits to have 2 of each since at the start of fall I only have 2 chickens and 1 cow. Then start hatching chicken eggs when i upgrade my coup. Or i can do that and just get 1 rabbit for now.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017

I was undecided at the beginning between Karen (who I married in the original FoMT), Popuri (used cheats to get her to red hearts in the original but little me did not understand what heart events were), or Jennifer. I have grown fond of Jennifer and plan on marrying her once I am dating all the regular marriage candidates to get the in game trophy.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I was undecided at the beginning between Karen (who I married in the original FoMT), Popuri (used cheats to get her to red hearts in the original but little me did not understand what heart events were), or Jennifer. I have grown fond of Jennifer and plan on marrying her once I am dating all the regular marriage candidates to get the in game trophy.

Think I may just add Jennifer to the list of candidites/look up her heart event locations/times as do like her design and the conversations that I've seen so far.

Yeah I don't plan to marry anyone until I confess to everyone as I want to 100% all trophies too. So far only have 2 of them.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Do I have to keep giving gifts to the nature sprites after I hit the point where they'll do chores for me?

Also, how do I level up the axe quicker? I chop the branches and stuff, but it's still not leveled enough to upgrade.

Last edited:

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Do I have to keep giving gifts to the nature sprites after I hit the point where they'll do chores for me?

Also, how do I level up the axe quicker? I chop the branches and stuff, but it's still not leveled enough to upgrade.
I would keep giving them gifts as their friendship levels can go down. You can just swing the axe without hitting anything but it does not give the same amount of exp though.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I like Jennifer because at times her dialogue is reminiscent of the Log Lady from Twin Peaks. Also I see her often in my daily route.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I think one of the books in the library* mentions that the Nature Sprites will get mad at you if you keep asking them to work without compensation, but who knows how that actually works. Just take seven things of Flour to their house when you go to hire one and give them all gifts.

*Which, ok, I know this is A Very Faithful Remake and all, but I kind of wish the growth cycles of crops and how much they sell for were on the actual menu instead of in a place that's open for like five hours a day, four days a week?

Thornquist

Jan 22, 2018
Norway
After a little over a year, I got married, purchased all the major renovations, and maxed out friendship with all the villagers.

I feel this game just has nothing else to work towards at this point.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm about 10 days into Summer. I have 4 chickens, the Nature Sprites are doing my daily chores, I got two extra stamina hearts so far, and my house expansion is being built. Most of my tools are silver, and I have the gold watering can.

I haven't really worked on friendships much yet. Jennifer has a purple heart as I'm probably going to choose her for marriage. Should I work on anything in particular next? Should I buy a cow?

Thornquist

Jan 22, 2018
Norway
So I'm about 10 days into Summer. I have 4 chickens, the Nature Sprites are doing my daily chores, I got two extra stamina hearts so far, and my house expansion is being built. Most of my tools are silver, and I have the gold watering can.

I haven't really worked on friendships much yet. Jennifer has a purple heart as I'm probably going to choose her for marriage. Should I work on anything in particular next? Should I buy a cow?
You do what you want man. A tips is to remember to breed new chickens and sell old ones. You cant get 10 hearts without doing it that way in this game. I figured way too late.

Jul 14, 2020
How would you guys & girls compare this to Stardew Valley? I played HM growing up (great games) and SV seems to tick all the boxes, so I'm not sure what there is to gain buying this person of SoS? Thanks in advance.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How would you guys & girls compare this to Stardew Valley? I played HM growing up (great games) and SV seems to tick all the boxes, so I'm not sure what there is to gain buying this person of SoS? Thanks in advance.

It's a very faithful remake of one of the classic games in the series that directly inspired Stardew with a decent handful of modern QOL changes, same-sex marriage, finally giving the Mineral Town versions of the cast their own unique designs, smoother frame-rate, and two new characters. If you played the original Mineral Town games back in the day, you probably already know what to expect.

Kind of hard to do a direct comparison though, as I didn't put much time into basic Stardew because it was too slow for me compared to Story of Seasons and I usually felt like I kinda needed mods to round it out a bit. Dunno if they changed it later, but I also wasn't much of a fan of Stardew's progression being tied to a check-list of items to get instead of just... playing freely and setting my own goals.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017

It's a close remake to a game that's about 2 decades old. So Stardew is more advanced in many ways. That could be good or bad depending on what you want. FoMT is faster paced (the days pass quicker) and has less overall systems that are more straightforward. It's still a fairly robust game but Stardew is just more. Both games are relaxing but you can really get into the weeds with Stardew. So really it's going to depend on how intricate you want to be.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
oh i thought i needed to ship 100 cabbages to unlock strawberries too so i spent A Lot of money on seeds so i'd have enough to hit 100 and have cabbages left over for cooking.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
What floor of the mines does mythic ore start appearing on? I've only been down to like 23 or something and haven't seen any. Is there a quicker way to descend than just save scumming?

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
What floor of the mines does mythic ore start appearing on? I've only been down to like 23 or something and haven't seen any. Is there a quicker way to descend than just save scumming?
From Fogu: Level 60, 102, 123, 152, 155, 171, 190, 202, 222, and 231 to 255

The Spring Mine | Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town

This guide page for SoS:FoMT lists the items you can find while exploring the mine next to the Harvest Goddess' waterfall

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
You can get an elevator by giving
100 offerings to the Harvest Goddess. It takes you down 50 levels at a time, but only if you've already been that deep
Buy, no but you can get an elevator in each mine that stops at every 50th level:

Harvest Goddess Gifts | Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town

Tossing an offering into the Goddess' pond will reward you with gifts in return.
oh neat, I'll take 10.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Yes, the elevators make me actually want to go further into the mines than I ever did on the GBA.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
The Mythic Ore is here for use Switch owners. Time to Dig and dig and dig and diggety, Dig and dig and dig and diggety.

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, can anyone tell me how long an alpaca takes to fully mature? I've had a breeding kit for like two full seasons now that I can't use still and I feed it every day and sheer it when I can. Thanks for the help!

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Hey guys, can anyone tell me how long an alpaca takes to fully mature? I've had a breeding kit for like two full seasons now that I can't use still and I feed it every day and sheer it when I can. Thanks for the help!
If you click on an animal in the Animals section of the Relationship tab in the menu, the game will let you know if it is still a baby or a mature animal. Also, I think the wool animals need their full coat to be bred?

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
The achievement for dating all the candidates at once does that include the special candidates too or just the normal ones? If it's the former I'll probably just skip trying for it.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
The achievement for dating all the candidates at once does that include the special candidates too or just the normal ones? If it's the former I'll probably just skip trying for it.

I would assume it does not since the Goddess and Kappa are mutually exclusive (since the Goddess only asks you once to choose which character you want an affection boost for and that's a requirement for marrying either of them) and perhaps more importantly you can't actually give a Pressed Flower to any of the special candidates

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I would assume it does not since the Goddess and Kappa are mutually exclusive (since the Goddess only asks you once to choose which character you want an affection boost for and that's a requirement for marrying either of them) and perhaps more importantly you can't actually give a Pressed Flower to any of the special candidates

Thanks for the reply! Good to know then, will probably try for it just to get 100% completion. Going to half to wait half a year though since Kai is only in game in the summer and I'm in late fall but he should be the very last person I'll need by then then I can get married.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Yes, the date everyone achievement only counts candidates you can give the flower to. It also unlocks after you are married to who you ultimately decided to choose, versus after giving out the last flower needed.