• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

moon jelly

Jun 24, 2020
United States
I'm a little confused on how breeding for higher max affection works for chickens since eggs are just kind of... plopped down on the coop and then get stacked in your inventory. Does it just check to see how many chicken generations you've bred so far, or are specific eggs tied to specific chickens and you just have to figure it out yourself
I'm almost certain it's the former. I have 10 hearts unlocked for my chickens now and I've always just randomly thrown eggs in the incubator.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Do you lock yourself out of anything by starting to date the bachelor/ettes aside from the two rival events for each pair? I think there might be a couple incidental events that stop being available, but is that it? I just don't want to lose out on anything important.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Forgot to go to Van's stall on the 15th of fall to get a puppy. Not sure if I want to chance getting a capybara in winter in case I cannot befriend it fast enough.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot to go to Van's stall on the 15th of fall to get a puppy. Not sure if I want to chance getting a capybara in winter in case I cannot befriend it fast enough.
I️ got a puppy and despite talking to it I️ still don't have 8 hearts and I'm in summer year 2 :/. I'd just wait for the pet you want

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I have my chickens at 10 hearts now, should I start breeding 10 heart rabbits or is there no specific use for their fur?

Cherubae

Oct 31, 2017
Beaverton, Oregon, USA
Yeah the only way to get the heart icon is talking to it. Brushing it makes it shine but no icon. Similar to playing fetch. I'm sure I️ missed a few days saying hi to it but it's still only at 4 or 5 hearts. It's very slow

You can also whistle (ZL button on Switch) at the pet for another +1 friendship point per day. It only works if they respond to the whistle though, so pets with low hearts will require you to be a lot closer to them for the whistle to work. The more hearts they have, the farther away they can be to hear it. Van also sells Treats at his pet shop for another +1 fp per day if hand-fed to your pet.

So a max of +3 fp per day per pet, with each heart being a total of 24 points.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
You can also whistle (ZL button on Switch) at the pet for another +1 friendship point per day. It only works if they respond to the whistle though, so pets with low hearts will require you to be a lot closer to them for the whistle to work. The more hearts they have, the farther away they can be to hear it. Van also sells Treats at his pet shop for another +1 fp per day if hand-fed to your pet.

So a max of +3 fp per day per pet, with each heart being a total of 24 points.
i bought a couple treats when i got the dog, but i forgot about them. I'll stock up next time. i missed the last two times van was selling pet supplies due to weather :/. i dont see a heart, but my dog does come when i whistle so thats good to know.

do you know the best way to level up its fetching ability? playing fetch w/ it is a drag due to having to pull the ball out of my bag for each throw

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
So I heard there is a bug with the Switch version where you can't find something called mythic ore in the mines. Not something that was in the PS1 version. Any Switch owner with a non-Japanese version of the game run into this bug?

Oct 28, 2017
i don't remember ran being so cleaning-focused in back to nature.
She wasn't, this isn't a remake of Back to Nature.

I feel like a lot of people are confused on this point because they're remembering the characters from the any of the previous games. The original Harvest Moon, which had a generational sequel (Harvest Moon 64), where the characters were the practical twins of their grandparents. That game was reimagined into Back to Nature (see also: Harvest Moon: Boy & Girl for PSP), where we had new personalities inserted but the exact same/really similar appearances and names yet again. Then that re-imagining was remade once more into Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town and Harvest Moon: More Friends of Mineral Town. Those are the two games that were remade into Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town, so it is not shocking that the name, appearance, and personality changes present in this game are throwing people for a loop on occasion!

The cast of Magical Melody also has a reinterpretation of the original game's cast if I recall correctly, which only adds confusion to the mix! I've been seeing a lot more people coming into the fanbase at large who played Magical Melody as their first BokuMono game. It is amazing and humbling and I feel so lucky to have been a part of this fandom since the beginning.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing the games since the first one was released in America, I'm well aware of the franchise's installments, I was expressing surprise that her character was changed so much for the portable version, especially when other characters and events seem to be identical to what was in Back to Nature.

Oct 28, 2017
I've been playing the games since the first one was released in America, I'm well aware of the franchise's installments, I was expressing surprise that her character was changed so much for the portable version, especially when other characters and events seem to be identical to what was in Back to Nature.
Sorry. Maybe I should not have quoted you when generally stating the lineage of the game leading to many changes in the characters. I wouldn't trust a Natsume localization as far as I could throw it, to be honest. As far as we know, the Japanese BtN version of Ran could have been just as obsessively tidy. It could also be a different factor, as visiting them at a new time and place often changes the dialogue displayed, so it could just be that your daily routine is visiting her at a time and place where she's talking about cleaning in this play through. It is actually one of the things I like about the games in the series, you can revisit them later with a different mindset and run into new things you've never seen before!

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
So is it just me, or do marriage candidates seem to gain love points really fast in this game? Or maybe there are some hidden love point bonuses based on actions you take. Cliff is at a green heart at the end of my first Summer and other than his birthday gift and that one event at the beginning of the game, I have just talked to him while passing by the church.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So is it just me, or do marriage candidates seem to gain love points really fast in this game? Or maybe there are some hidden love point bonuses based on actions you take. Cliff is at a green heart at the end of my first Summer and other than his birthday gift and that one event at the beginning of the game, I have just talked to him while passing by the church.

Yeah I noticed this too, never seen the LP build up so fast, I'm used to grinding them out.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Apparently my first chicken has seemingly perpetually stayed at one heart despite the "doing well" message every day, talking to it, letting it eat outside.

The chicken that hatched from one of its eggs is now at 4 ...

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I am about to get into the first winter and I have given Doctor the wild grasses not even every day and he is at a red heart. Some characters like Karen do get bonus points. She gets them via buying things x amount of times from the general store.

Karen | Getting Married | Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town

This guide page lists the gifts you can give to Karen to raise your affection with her and see her heart events.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
I am about to get into the first winter and I have given Doctor the wild grasses not even every day and he is at a red heart. Some characters like Karen do get bonus points. She gets them via buying things x amount of times from the general store.

Karen | Getting Married | Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town

This guide page lists the gifts you can give to Karen to raise your affection with her and see her heart events.

There we go, that makes more sense. Cliff gets bonus love point just from entering the Church enough times. The Doctor and Elly gain bonus love points based on how many days you have gone without fainting. No wonder so many characters are shooting up the heart ranks without me doing much.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I was wondering if I was gaining love points with her because I kept triggering her events by entering the store if there was some bonus for attending festivals, or whatever, because she was shooting up at the same rate as Brandon, a character I was actually giving things to and speaking to basically every day.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I can't for the life of me get Cliff's purple heart even to trigger. I've done both his black heart events. He's at yellow heart. I walk into the area at the correct time on the right dates with the right weather. No dice :/

edit: nevermind trying it without my horse apparently got it to work.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Getting a special cow before getting a regular cow was not a smart move. I'm at the end of my second spring and I'm at a point where I want to start cooking everything but I only have a coffee cow. :/

Nord501

Oct 29, 2017
Massachusetts
Getting a special cow before getting a regular cow was not a smart move. I'm at the end of my second spring and I'm at a point where I want to start cooking everything but I only have a coffee cow. :/

Yeah, I was disappointed I couldn't turn the other milks into cheese. I'm just shipping my coffee milk now because it feels useless compared to regular milk. And now that it sounds like you can't cook with them either, I may sell my 2nd coffee cow.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017

I don't have any cows yet as I can't afford them but that stinks. Makes sense but now I'd be mordibly curious what Strawberry Cheese, Chocolate Cheese, and Coffee cheese would even look/be like haha

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
does anyone experience lag/stuttering when running around their field if its fully planted? Im in summer and 1/2 of my field is pinapples the other half is grass for the cows and theres certain areas where the game just chugs

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
What does Van sell when you have 1 million dollars? He mentions it when you give him "vans favorite"

edit. Sorry for double post

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda wish they had lifted the Stardew Horse mechanics because this "the horse just kind of wanders around and takes up most of the street" is perhaps Not It.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Is this supposed to happen or is this a glitch?

Went to check my tv at 4:40pm on Summer 15th (If that makes any difference) and couldn't exit out of it and no matter how much I pressed A it would repeat and keep looping.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Is this supposed to happen or is this a glitch?

Went to check my tv at 4:40pm on Summer 15th (If that makes any difference) and couldn't exit out of it and no matter how much I pressed A it would repeat and keep looping.

It's... intentional.

harvestmoon.fandom.com

4:44 (FoMT)

The 4:44 gimmick is an intentional "glitch" placed in the game that can be activated any day of the year, but only when the timer is exactly at 4:44. Friends of Mineral Town Watching TV at 4:44 on any day will result in the game being frozen in a loop where the dialogue box opens and closes...

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
It's... intentional.

harvestmoon.fandom.com

4:44 (FoMT)

The 4:44 gimmick is an intentional "glitch" placed in the game that can be activated any day of the year, but only when the timer is exactly at 4:44. Friends of Mineral Town Watching TV at 4:44 on any day will result in the game being frozen in a loop where the dialogue box opens and closes...
Huh, the more you know!
Never knew that was a thing.

Nord501

Oct 29, 2017
Massachusetts
I have upgraded everything with Gotts and he isn't selling me the deluxe fridge. Is this a glitch? I had it on my first file but on this one he's never sold it.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
"Oh, I just got my blessed set complete, let's try out the Blessed Hammer. Oh hey, that was pretty cool, that's a huge area! Let's try out the Blessed Axe-- Did...Did I just chop the entire screen?????!!!!!"

I'm on Winter 30 and I'm so excited to see what the Blessed Hoe/Watering Can/Sickle do now

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
So im in spring year 3. have all upgrades, married w/ kid on the way. have over a million bucks. got all the blessed tools. currently planning on playing until i can beat the derby and fetch competitions. after that i think ill stop as i already have over 40 hrs in the game and dont really wanna grind the 10 mil for another house

really nice remake and i enjoyed my time with it.

tempted to finally try stardew valley now...

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
So im in spring year 3. have all upgrades, married w/ kid on the way. have over a million bucks. got all the blessed tools. currently planning on playing until i can beat the derby and fetch competitions. after that i think ill stop as i already have over 40 hrs in the game and dont really wanna grind the 10 mil for another house

really nice remake and i enjoyed my time with it.

tempted to finally try stardew valley now...

I really need to get back to this. I bought it on PC and played about 4 hours. The time moving so fast was driving me insane! That and money was just nonexistent. I think I was spoiled by Stardew :) You absolutely should play that game - I'm on my 2nd playthrough right now. First was 150 hours and I'm up to 85 on my new one. It's one of the most addictive games I have ever played! If you play on PC I recommend Stardew Valley Expanded as its basically a free expansion to the original game (made by fans).

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I really need to get back to this. I bought it on PC and played about 4 hours. The time moving so fast was driving me insane! That and money was just nonexistent. I think I was spoiled by Stardew :) You absolutely should play that game - I'm on my 2nd playthrough right now. First was 150 hours and I'm up to 85 on my new one. It's one of the most addictive games I have ever played! If you play on PC I recommend Stardew Valley Expanded as its basically a free expansion to the original game (made by fans).
yeah ive bought it twice (switch & pc) but only ever tried it for an hour or so. I know its something ill like once i get started w/ it. the PC version im sure is superior, but i think its the type of game ill prefer to play portable....

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
yeah ive bought it twice (switch & pc) but only ever tried it for an hour or so. I know its something ill like once i get started w/ it. the PC version im sure is superior, but i think its the type of game ill prefer to play portable....

My first playthrough was on Switch - and honestly that's a great way to play it first. Having expanded after playing the game worked out good for me. One piece of advice if playing on Switch: Make getting the Horse Stable your #1 priority. Once you have that built, your speed in getting around the entire world is incredibly faster. The default walk/run speed is sloooow, but the horse eliminates this issue for the rest of the game so I always immediately get that done to make the rest of my time smoother.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Was panicking thinking my Pineapples that I spend all my money on seeds early summer wouldn't ever grow/be ripe for harvest but on the very last day of summer they finally did, phew. Finally starting to get some money. Have $19k after selling them, first time all game having 5 figure money on me.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My issue with Stardew is that I really dislike the art used for the portraits (somehow even more than this game). I would've never played that game without mods.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Using winter to upgrade all of my buildings and get the makers sure makes my balance sheet this month look awful lol.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
My issue with Stardew is that I really dislike the art used for the portraits (somehow even more than this game). I would've never played that game without mods.
Yeah it's a really ugly game which is what turned me off originally but I️ figure I'll give it another try

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Why is the fall music in every Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons game so good.

Just got to fall and planted so many seeds, determined to make lots of money in the fall and start being able to upgrade things.