• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PhoenixSFT

Oct 25, 2017
Superior, CO
How do you give gifts to the Harvest Goddess? She's randomly spoken to me a couple times about my pedometer but I've never actually found her on the map.

If you go to where the spa/sauna is, toss a gift (she loves flowers) into the river right behind it (where the waterfall is) and she'll appear and thank you. You'll also get a power berry from her after 10 gifts.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Speaking of tossing things into the water, if you have cucumbers' make sure to drop some in the lake near Jennifer's tent. You need to do it when the lake is not frozen.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
can someone explain how the grass works in this game. i planted 10 of them and put my animals and they ate most of them... do they grow back or can they spawn more grass on their own?

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
can someone explain how the grass works in this game. i planted 10 of them and put my animals and they ate most of them... do they grow back or can they spawn more grass on their own?
I think once there are no more grass icons on your field you have to buy a new seedling and let it spread over the field again. Grass works really weird in this game compared to others.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I always loved about FoMT is that the economy is really well geared. Getting anything feels like a huge achievement in early game because, well, it is. Unless you horse bet of course.

I feel like a lot of the more modern farming games just throw stuff at you and it becomes less fun as a result. I miss TV shopping tho.

this is my first time playing any version of FoMT but it's something I'm noticing and enjoying it lots. It takes a lot of work/saving to get some of the major important basic things other games give you for feee and then when you get it it feels like such an accomplishment

Wonder how it'll be as I continue playing and while I love the newer games too I'm appreciating how this game is handling things too.
Though I have no clue yet who I want to try and marry , too many options 😅

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I think once there are no more grass icons on your field you have to buy a new seedling and let it spread over the field again. Grass works really weird in this game compared to others.
okay... thats kind of what i thought. it took me awhile to realize that just letting the cows out, wasn't enough to "feed" them w/o the grass being planted (i think i asked earlier in this thread why i wasn't able to milk em).

I figured they didnt seem unhappy or anything. i'm assuming they eat one square a day if you let them out to graze so to it seems like a pretty large amount of your field should be dedicated to the grass if you want to go that route.

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
okay... thats kind of what i thought. it took me awhile to realize that just letting the cows out, wasn't enough to "feed" them w/o the grass being planted (i think i asked earlier in this thread why i wasn't able to milk em).

I figured they didnt seem unhappy or anything. i'm assuming they eat one square a day if you let them out to graze so to it seems like a pretty large amount of your field should be dedicated to the grass if you want to go that route.

I just looked into this the other day. Apparently, there's a 25% chance that a surrounding square will have grass spread to it the next day if it's not eaten. So I've stopped letting the animals out for now so the grass can grow and spread, and have been feeding them fodder for now.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
If I upgrade the hoe is it still going to just till one space in the mines like the old game?

Also where can I buy flowers to give the harvest sprites/goddess? General store isnt selling them
I just looked into this the other day. Apparently, there's a 25% chance that a surrounding square will have grass spread to it the next day if it's not eaten. So I've stopped letting the animals out for now so the grass can grow and spread, and have been feeding them fodder for now.
Wow, unless I missed it none of the tutorials say you need to have grass in the field for your animals to feed while they're out.

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, unless I missed it none of the tutorials say you need to have grass in the field for your animals to feed while they're out.

I was in the same boat. Let my cow out every day without even thinking about it. It's possible the cow was grazing with the free grass the game puts in the bottom corner of your field. But I'm not sure how close the grass needs to be to the barn, so I've just gone and planted grass right in front of the barn doors.

JChung55

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had some questions about this game I was hoping one of you guys can answer. My wife LOVES Stardew Valley, even more so than Animal Crossing, which she found boring and aimless. Is this a game that she would enjoy?

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
If I upgrade the hoe is it still going to just till one space in the mines like the old game?

Also where can I buy flowers to give the harvest sprites/goddess? General store isnt selling them

It tells you when you buy an animal, but it is pretty confusing. They explain grass at the same time.

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
I had some questions about this game I was hoping one of you guys can answer. My wife LOVES Stardew Valley, even more so than Animal Crossing, which she found boring and aimless. Is this a game that she would enjoy?

In theory - yes. Stardew Valley is a spiritual successor to the Harvest Moon (now Story of Seasons) games. This game is a remake of a GBA remake which is itself a remake of a PS1 era game though. So it's simpler across the board than SV. I personally find that to be a good thing as I got lost playing Stardew.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017

Yes, upgrades do not work in the mine. There are flowers on the ground to pickup like in the original but they look close to the ground texture flowers so it can be hard to tell which are real flowers or not. Huang also sells flower seeds.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Of all the harvest moons, story of seasons, and clones released since (including Star Dew Valley) this is simply the best one. I do have a soft spot for the Rune Factory games, but between this version and the original there is no other HM style game I come back to and play the most consistently.

It's the right amount of simplicity and complexity as well as focus. You will literally burn hours of real time going "just one more day". The routine is satisfying but not static enough to get boring.

Cherubae

Oct 31, 2017
Beaverton, Oregon, USA
How do you give gifts to the Harvest Goddess? She's randomly spoken to me a couple times about my pedometer but I've never actually found her on the map.

You can toss a gift into her pond, like you were giving someone a gift. She likes crops (loves strawberry and pineapple), milk, eggs, and flowers.

Additionally, related to the goddess...

There is also the Goddess Collection in your farmhouse shelves that keeps track of the cooked meals you give to her. You can get a Mythic Ore if you give her 108 unique cooked meals, and currently that's how you can get Mythic Ore in the Switch game until XSeed gets a patch through Nintendo to fix its lack of appearance in the Spring MIne.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Just got to winter. What's everyone do in winter here? I️m doing the lake mine but don't see much point in it. Other than animals and raising friendships is there any reason to just not sleep through the season

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I haven't reached the winter in the remake but in the OG I used it to level up my tools and raising friendships.

There should be a new mine available

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If I put countless hours into the original is this one worth getting? I don't feel like I need a rerun of the classic experience though, so I'd be hoping that they've done a great deal more with it on top of bringing back the old fun.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Just got to winter. What's everyone do in winter here? I️m doing the lake mine but don't see much point in it. Other than animals and raising friendships is there any reason to just not sleep through the season
Get the cursed tools, get them blessed, it'll make year 2 much more profitable.

Finding a floor with pink diamonds is also very profitable (10k each)

If I put countless hours into the original is this one worth getting? I don't feel like I need a rerun of the classic experience though, so I'd be hoping that they've done a great deal more with it on top of bringing back the old fun.

If you aren't exactly craving it, it's safer to pass. This is still 95% the same as GBA but with some nice QoL improvements and a few other tweaks.

If you are in the mood, it'll still easy time like just about nothing else.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

If you aren't exactly craving it, it's safer to pass. This is still 95% the same as GBA but with some nice QoL improvements and a few other tweaks.

Interesting, maybe I'll give it some more thought then, see if I hit a gap in my game releases. I think the relationships and the atmosphere were a big part of why I like the original one and if they haven't changed too much, I may still be a little burnt out from when those games were fresh.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017

I️ don't think I️ can get the cursed tools (all my stuffs still gold)

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i really wish the mines weren't build with the expectation you were savescumming your way through them.

maybe they're doable if i get good enough food...

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
i really wish the mines weren't build with the expectation you were savescumming your way through them.

maybe they're doable if i get good enough food...

Food, medicine, and the black grass helps a bit too. You don't have to savescum if you bring a bunch of supplies, it just helps a lot.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Is there any trick to grinding the fishing pole? I'd really like to get those cursed tools but my fishing pole is still very low level.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any trick to grinding the fishing pole? I'd really like to get those cursed tools but my fishing pole is still very low level.
Spam it while indoors till your stamina is gone, go to hotspring, repeat until done.

Yes it still takes forever. Yes it's easiest the longest and most boring grind. Yes it's totally worth it to get blessed tools before spring of the second year.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The addiction is really setting in now. Getting them "one more day" feelings lately, what helps is how fast the days go by too.

Feels like affection is much easier to raise in this game than in the past, it's weird to have bachelors/bachelorettes already at the dating stage halfway through Summer Year 1. And you can date everyone in this game too lol, well that makes seeing the events easier because I've just been giving presents to everyone. My MC bout to be the biggest player in town 😏

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Spam it while indoors till your stamina is gone, go to hotspring, repeat until done.

Yes it still takes forever. Yes it's easiest the longest and most boring grind. Yes it's totally worth it to get blessed tools before spring of the second year.

I didn't know spamming tools into air would work. I always assumed I had to actually use them for a functional purpose. Like.. actually chop lumber for the axe etc. Thanks for posting this, will make things a lot easier.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I have a few questions since I can't really find a website with all the information I'm looking for. If anyone has a good website let me know please!

1. What do I do with the apples I win from Huang? Also do I just want to use the mystery tickets one at a time?

2. What's the best way to get the high "level" animals? Do I really want to constantly be getting rid of my old chickens and replacing them with their offspring? How do I even get rid of the older ones?

3. Can I actually level tools up by just spamming them without doing anything? Was having a hard time with my axe and tried that but didnt notice any movement on the tools level.

Last edited:

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Phew boy the game makes you work for every dollar, usually by the end of the 1st summer I nearly have a double bed, have a wide array of animals and many other upgrades/tools. In the middle of 1st summer and I have the 1st house upgrade/fridge and 2 chickens and a bronze axe/hoe, silver watering can/hammer and am lucky to ever have 1000g on me at any time. Kinda glad though as it means I wont have been able to buy nearly everything by the end of the games 1st year like I do in most SoS games.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
2. What's the best way to get the high "level" animals? Do I really want to constantly be getting rid of my old chickens and replacing them with their offspring? How do I even get rid of the older ones?
Yes, chain breeding and egg hatching seems to be the way to get animals with high heart ranges. More hearts allow for better byproducts and festival placings. Since livestock can no longer pass away to sickness or age, you have to sell them to the other farms.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Some of these events kill me with how long they last lmao, save scumming is a must at times

I got an event with Marie at 11 am that lasted until 6 pm, the entire day vortexed, all to give her some pointers for her novel!

Cherubae

Oct 31, 2017
Beaverton, Oregon, USA
1. What do I do with the apples I win from Huang? Also do I just want to use the mystery tickets one at a time?

They can be given as gifts, shipped as part of the shipped items list (50 G each), or kept in your refrigerator for making some of the high-level cookbook recipes if you are trying to complete all cooked recipes.

3. Can I actually level tools up by just spamming them without doing anything? Was having a hard time with my axe and tried that but didnt notice any movement on the tools level.

Yes, but it is at a slower rate than if you used the tool for its intended purpose.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
So i got like 300k from the derby in my second year and already have all the house upgrades and most barn upgrades. Other than saving for another house is there any reason to keep making money?

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
So i got like 300k from the derby in my second year and already have all the house upgrades and most barn upgrades. Other than saving for another house is there any reason to keep making money?
The field upgrades if you have not gotten them yet and shipping more items gets you more farm degree points if there is a rank you want to reach:

Your Farm Degree | Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town

The game's Farm Degree is a judgment of how well you're doing on your farm. This guide page explains how to increase your degree points.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
The field upgrades if you have not gotten them yet and shipping more items gets you more farm degree points if there is a rank you want to reach:

Your Farm Degree | Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town

The game's Farm Degree is a judgment of how well you're doing on your farm. This guide page explains how to increase your degree points.
Hmm thank ya. I️dk if I'll go that far since it seems like a bit of a drag but I️ still gotta get married what not.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
stoked that this is doing well. im really enjoying it. i forgot how much i missed these types of games

hope we get some news at some point about new games as well.

tempted to get RF4, despite not getting into the franchise much

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I️ got an adult dog and the disc. How do I️ play with it on the beach? Is it better for training up it's fetching ability?

edit. Figured it out

Last edited:

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little confused on how breeding for higher max affection works for chickens since eggs are just kind of... plopped down on the coop and then get stacked in your inventory. Does it just check to see how many chicken generations you've bred so far, or are specific eggs tied to specific chickens and you just have to figure it out yourself

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
How does the preserved flower work in this game? If I "confess" to someone will it lock me out of others? Is it just used to get the higher level heart events? Confused by them adding this in addition to the blue feather