• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I like the new Ran design a lot, personally. Like the core... style of the art? I don't like the style. But some of the designs are better for sure.

I think there is a separation between the style of the art, and the design of the characters. The rework of design is mostly good.

Edit: I think what I'm trying to say is the design is better but they are poorly drawn.

Last edited:

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I honestly love the new designs.

I've been hooked on this game all day and I have to stop playing lol.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
After getting Ran and Popuri to red, Popuri won out and the wedding date is set for December 5th. Joycons are dead so I guess that's where I leave off for today.

For the design debate, I like the hand painted feel of the originals, but I feel a lot of the super chibi style was a product of limitations from working on GBA and recycling old designs for the third time. It's good that they completely went back to give these characters a lot more of a unique feel... But I'm in agreement with most that the big issue is just how the mouths look, especially when smiling.

Still it's far from legitimately bad, just a small oddity that you get desensitized to over time.

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
So like how is this game? Cause some of the reviews were very middling on it. I never played the original and my experience with these type of games is literally Stardew Valley lmao.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
So like how is this game? Cause some of the reviews were very middling on it. I never played the original and my experience with these type of games is literally Stardew Valley lmao.

If you liked stardew valley enough that you feel like you would enjoy an older version of that game with less features in order to have a"new" experience with different character and events instead of what you've been getting from stardew, this is a very good game.

Stardew has a real advantage of being a game that came out over a decade later than the original version of this game, and with a guy who has just been dedicated to doing nothing but constantly work on stardew updates for years now.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
ranchstory.news.blog

Something Special: Igusa Matsuyama Interviewed by Ranch Story Community!

As a fan of Story of Seasons since the earliest days in Flowerbud Village, I have always adored the artwork of Igusa Matsuyama, who has helped make the worlds of Bokumono feel so alive, colorful, v…

Oh neat, I helped with that! Yeah, a lot of the new cahracter design stuff stems from wanting Mineral Town to have its own sense of identity, with the original designs being very obviously meant for the 64 iterations of the cast. Stuff like Cliff and Karen's blonde bits being because they descended from Eve and whatnot.

It's from the period of Story of Seasons games that directly inspired Stardew, but it's still pretty different. Personally I could never stomach Stardew in part because of how much slower it is by comparison, but if you're after the vibes, you'll be fine. My memory of Stardew is iffy, but I feel like even the festivals and annual schedule from that game were direct callbacks from 64 and BtN/FoMT.

Last edited:

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
ranchstory.news.blog

Something Special: Igusa Matsuyama Interviewed by Ranch Story Community!

As a fan of Story of Seasons since the earliest days in Flowerbud Village, I have always adored the artwork of Igusa Matsuyama, who has helped make the worlds of Bokumono feel so alive, colorful, v…
Novibear asks: Was there a character you really liked, but wasn't well received?
Igusa Matsuyama:
During [the development of] Harvest Moon 64, I had some issues getting Gourmet's design passed.
"Even if you say so, this isn't human!", [were the words from] the scenario planner, who was very opposed [to the design]. Fortunately, because the producer was also a little weird, the design was finally approved, although it took some time.
Even though I created a lot of designs that were scrapped, I adore all of the designs that were finally approved. I have no regrets at all.
Lol, thanks to the producer who got him approved.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Its a really interesting little touch that on Autumn 5th Ran has to run the inn on her own because it is the Anniversary of her mother's death, and her Dad is disappeared mourning. So the inn closes at 5 that day.
It doesn't really effect anything, but its just this little specific bit of world building or character fleshing out that I think is pretty neat.

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
If you liked stardew valley enough that you feel like you would enjoy an older version of that game with less features in order to have a"new" experience with different character and events instead of what you've been getting from stardew, this is a very good game.
Stardew has a real advantage of being a game that came out over a decade later than the original version of this game, and with a guy who has just been dedicated to doing nothing but constantly work on stardew updates for years now.
It's from the period of Story of Seasons games that directly inspired Stardew, but it's still pretty different. Personally I could never stomach Stardew in part because of how much slower it is by comparison, but if you're after the vibes, you'll be fine. My memory of Stardew is iffy, but I feel like even the festivals and annual schedule from that game were direct callbacks from 64 and BtN/FoMT.
Thanks for the input, much appareciated.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Carter: It's truly a blessing to have you in our community. Thank you for generosity in donating crops to the church. Gay wedding? Of course you can have it here!

Also Carter: You overslept? That shows you're a person if horrible moral fiber and you will not be forgiven for your horrible sinful ways!

(Edit) Got married, watching the credits, see TOSE's name all over them. Honestly wasn't even aware they still existed.

Last edited:

Cherubae

Oct 31, 2017
Beaverton, Oregon, USA
Has anyone managed to find cracks in the floor in the mines? I'm only in summer but have been trying to do the mines relatively regularly but it's a bummer that I haven't found any dropping points yet :(

The pitfalls aren't on every floor. There will be areas where you will have to go through one floor at a time.

Spring mine pitfall floors:
Level 20 to level 93
Level 101 to level 193
Level 200 to level 248

Lake mine pitfall floors:
Level 10 to 68, except for any level that ends in 9 (19, 29, etc.)
Level 80 to 90
Level 130 to Level 140
Level 150 to Level 160
Level 170 to Level 180
Level 200
Level 240 to Level 248

(yea I know, fogu site is borked at the moment. Just waiting on an ordered server upgrade.)

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What's the benefit of giving townspeople gifts and befriending them??

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
What's the benefit of giving townspeople gifts and befriending them??
Recipes mostly, but also access to parts of their house you can't normally see/get to.

Grinding fishing rod right now.... Have to move quick since winter is nearly half over. I don't have the patience to wait another year to get cursed tools.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
I know that a lot of people on here to complain about the art style but my are the bachelor redesigns terrible... sorry for the drive by. Just had to mention it, how they got them so wrong??

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
The pitfalls aren't on every floor. There will be areas where you will have to go through one floor at a time.

Spring mine pitfall floors:
Level 20 to level 93
Level 101 to level 193
Level 200 to level 248

Lake mine pitfall floors:
Level 10 to 68, except for any level that ends in 9 (19, 29, etc.)
Level 80 to 90
Level 130 to Level 140
Level 150 to Level 160
Level 170 to Level 180
Level 200
Level 240 to Level 248

(yea I know, fogu site is borked at the moment. Just waiting on an ordered server upgrade.)

thank you!!
(Also if you run fogu have to say thank you very much for years of hard work. I've been using it since I think I was in like 5th grade!!)

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Apologies for double posting, but what are the requirements for a romance candidate accepting your flower?

Trying to get a decent amount of em, but only the doctor has accepted so far.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Apologies for double posting, but what are the requirements for a romance candidate accepting your flower?

Trying to get a decent amount of em, but only the doctor has accepted so far.
Being At least green heart with them and you've seen all of their previous events (2 black heart, 1 each purple and blue).

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I wish there was a fast harvest tool of some sort. Like I've got this killer watering can that lets me water all my crops really quickly every morning right, but my desire to expand my field beyond its current size is pretty minimal because I just don't want to spend entire days press a on crops you know?

Need some sick crop vacuum.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Being At least green heart with them and you've seen all of their previous events (2 black heart, 1 each purple and blue).

gotcha, I must be missing some heart events then!

I wish there was a fast harvest tool of some sort. Like I've got this killer watering can that lets me water all my crops really quickly every morning right, but my desire to expand my field beyond its current size is pretty minimal because I just don't want to spend entire days press a on crops you know?

Harvest Sprites not working for you?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017

That's the primary use for the harvest sprites after you have good tools.

Just need to over lap them so you don't have any dead days.
gotcha, I must be missing some heart events then!
It's pretty easy to... Some can be kind of out of the way.

Been using this wiki as needed (character list is at the bottom, careful of scrolling down too far on any individual one of you are trying to avoid spoilers)
ranchstory.miraheze.org

Jennifer (Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town) - ranchstory

As a wanderer who escaped from city life, Jennifer moved to Mineral Town to live in a tent in the mountains by the Lake Mine.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Does the time continue to tick when you're inside houses like the newer games, or does time stop like the original? I think having the time constantly ticket down adds to the pacing of the newer games.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Does the time continue to tick when you're inside houses like the newer games, or does time stop like the original? I think having the time constantly ticket down adds to the pacing of the newer games.
No, inside the clock stops. That said, the clock outside is significantly faster than newer games.

The map though is slightly smaller and has more shortcuts. So if all you do is farm all day, it'll feel the same as the GBA game, but if you want to explore all areas or get around to talk to everyone, it's much easier to do.

For example, the hotspring is no longer it's own map, it's part of the mountain area and has a path from it that leads right to the lake.

(Edit) on thinking about it, it may not be much faster than modern SoS games, but definitely faster than Rune Factory series I'm more used to.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I think the hurricane I forgot to save scum to avoid has prevented me from getting three yields from my pineapples. Well I will still make a good amount of gold and have gotten the first home upgrade out of the way and now have a fridge and the other two fruit trees.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
accidentally backed out of a tutorial immediately. Am I right to assume all farm animals don't need feeding if you put them outside at the start of the day?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, this is super cute...

After I went to sleep, Popuri woke up and snuck a treat into my bag.

Nothing huge, but a nice little touch.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
The game is just so fun/gameplay loop so addicting, played pretty much every Harvest Moon/Story of seasons game released since the gamecube days but just something about this game that I haven't been so addicted to the gameplay loop since magical melody. Just wish the time didn't go by so fast.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
The game is just so fun/gameplay loop so addicting, played pretty much every Harvest Moon/Story of seasons game released since the gamecube days but just something about this game that I haven't been so addicted to the gameplay loop since magical melody. Just wish the time didn't go by so fast.
If it was slower the game would ground to a halt imo. The limited day time is about the only tension the game gives, and even then with all the shortcuts versus the original, I'm finding it hard not to accomplish everything I want to do (farming, chopping wood/rocks, socializing).

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing like reloading the 29th floor of the lake mine for the 30th time and still not finding the fishing rod... Every other cursed tool only took 2-3 reloads. Whew...

(Edit) 38 reloads.... Finally got it.

Last edited:

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I keep wanting to befriend the Harvest Sprites but then my schedule catches up and suddenly its 6pm lol.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I know they're new to the game but Brandon and Jennifer stick out like a sore thumb. It's odd how everyone else is sort of normal and then there's these two weirdos.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
If it was slower the game would ground to a halt imo. The limited day time is about the only tension the game gives, and even then with all the shortcuts versus the original, I'm finding it hard not to accomplish everything I want to do (farming, chopping wood/rocks, socializing).
Maybe it's because I'm trying to grow too many crops so early on but it usually takes until 1pm to water everything and then after talking to everyone/giving a gift to the harvest goddess it feels like 5pm and no time to really do anything optional. Feels a bit shorter then previous games though i imagine using the sprites when i unlock them to help me would help a lot.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
I'm still not over the fact that Kappa is hot now

Sos_fomt_kappa_exception.png

Last edited:

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I keep wanting to befriend the Harvest Sprites but then my schedule catches up and suddenly its 6pm lol.
Yeah it sounds like you put out way too many crops to start. Plant fewer after the next harvest and focus on getting the sprites befriended and your schedule will open up immensely.

Sort of related, it's spring year 2 for me, and all of my cursed tools are now blessed and I am an actual harvest God(dess). The sprites now exist solely to collect the fruits of my labours.

(Seriously, blessed watering can and axe are game breakingly great, and there is still a whole level above that)

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Just got the fridge! I've never been so happy to get a single item in a SoS game like I have this. For at least 10 in game days I had 13 of my 16 inventory slots stuck with items that can only be stored in the fridge.

Intraxidance

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it sounds like you put out way too many crops to start. Plant fewer after the next harvest and focus on getting the sprites befriended and your schedule will open up immensely.

Sort of related, it's spring year 2 for me, and all of my cursed tools are now blessed and I am an actual harvest God(dess). The sprites now exist solely to collect the fruits of my labours.

(Seriously, blessed watering can and axe are game breakingly great, and there is still a whole level above that)

haha, this was my exact reaction as well to the blessed watering can. It's absurd, just wish it could hold more water.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I know that a lot of people on here to complain about the art style but my are the bachelor redesigns terrible... sorry for the drive by. Just had to mention it, how they got them so wrong??
This is my HUGE hang-up with the game. I can finally be gay in mineral town and its with these lifeless, basic designs. The Mineral Town games are some of my most beloved games of all-time but I think I might have to skip this one.
Is the gameplay fun and the writing unique/fun enough to warrant checking it out?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
It's friends of mineral town, but with some very nice QoL improvements, and a bit of new content here and there.

and the writing unique/fun enough
It's friends of mineral town, but with a slightly better localization.

If the only reason you don't want to play is because of the character designs/graphics, you'll quickly get used to it.

The gameplay is just as solid and addictive as it ever was and the tweaks remove most of the annoyances from the game (especially the early days before the bag upgrade. Remember 3 bag slots where items didn't stack?).

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The confessional is wild:

EdYeDbcUYAEoYoV

I did not expect Carter to get all fire and brimstone on me, made me feel like shit LOL

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Carter: It's truly a blessing to have you in our community. Thank you for generosity in donating crops to the church. Gay wedding? Of course you can have it here!

Also Carter: You overslept? That shows you're a person if horrible moral fiber and you will not be forgiven for your horrible sinful ways!

(Edit) Got married, watching the credits, see TOSE's name all over them. Honestly wasn't even aware they still existed.

I always figured this was a commentary on religion lmao

I really adore the writing of FoMT and it's really my favourite part about this remake. I don't know what specifically about it since I go so long between farmgames usually but the only character I really vibed off in RF3 was Forte, and I didn't vibe with anyone at all in Stardew, but FoMT has one of the comfiest communities ever. And it's not just that everybody is wonderful and fluffy, because there's real problems around minor and major, but it's still a good place despite it all.

Also the TV shows are great. I watch them every morning before my chores lmao. Wish you could just toss shit onto the stove and see what works though. There's a lot of new stuff from the newer games (crop stacking etc) I kinda miss, but ah well

Just got the fridge! I've never been so happy to get a single item in a SoS game like I have this. For at least 10 in game days I had 13 of my 16 inventory slots stuck with items that can only be stored in the fridge.

One thing I always loved about FoMT is that the economy is really well geared. Getting anything feels like a huge achievement in early game because, well, it is. Unless you horse bet of course.

I feel like a lot of the more modern farming games just throw stuff at you and it becomes less fun as a result. I miss TV shopping tho.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Does anyone crawl through the mines without save scumming? I don't know how you'd even approach the milestones for the elevator without stacks of consumables.

Fulluphigh

Oct 31, 2017
The game directly tells you this is how you have to place branches down after picking them up. I agree it's weird but it's definitely how you have to do it.

Nah, you can put them down and pick them up "normally", it just has to be on the tillable part of your land.

I can understand some of the concern about how young the characters look, but it is still a game designed for mostly young children that just happened to have an older audience who grew up on the originals still playing them.

If the game sexualized the characters, THAT'S when I'd actually side eye it and anyone defending it but at least so far, nothing I've seen in the original or remake does this. (There are no listening in on opposite gender bath scenes, no walking into girls mid changing, no suggestive poses or camera angles, all of which have been in other HM/SoS/RF games).

Yeah, that's a pretty good point.

FWIW the main romanceable characters are all in their 20's like the protagonist. Personally I think the designs are a lot better because they aren't so chibi, and the majority of characters look like they are 20+. I don't really like Popuri's overly cutesy design, I could see how she could rub people the wrong way. Otherwise though the characters look and act like adults, Karen is a sassy boozehound, Jennifer is an outdoorsy type obsessed with interrogating the spirituality of nature, and Marie is a fastidious librarian working on her novel, Elly is a dutiful, kind, and conservatively dressed nurse. Don't really get the complaints in this thread, feel like some people are looking way too hard for something that isn't there.

Honestly, it's the mouths. The mouths manage to make them look younger than the chibi designs of the original...

Honestly the core of the problem is just how terrible people's mouths look in a lot of their expressions, with the new design.

Amen!

I like the new Ran design a lot, personally. Like the core... style of the art? I don't like the style. But some of the designs are better for sure.

I think there is a separation between the style of the art, and the design of the characters. The rework of design is mostly good.

Edit: I think what I'm trying to say is the design is better but they are poorly drawn.

Amen! I've grown to be ok with the designs, especially the context around them, though it's still disappointing having played the original and this one being a remake and all. But yeah, they still don't look that good to me. The designs I can live with, but the style is eh, and the mouths....

That being said, it really does look so much better in motion that it all bothers me way less than expected. It's sharp and smooth and that helps a lot, though a little style still wouldn't hurt....

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I really like the color design in the game. The environments all have a pleasant and even tasty look to them. Color balance is extremely important in games like this because of how small a place it is and because it goes through dramatic changes every season. One of the ways a game can look cheap, and this is what a lot of people mean when they speak about cheap mobile games, is that the colors do not go together. There is a clash of tints, tones, and shades. You have to balance these so that the colors fit. This requires a lot of time to get right. Mobile (or other cheap games) games don't get that attention because they made quick and fast.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Does the mine ever save your progress in it? Like if I manage to get down five levels does it give me a permanent ladder to start there? I can only get down like three or four levels before my guy is just gassed. How are you supposed to do like 200 levels?

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Does the mine ever save your progress in it? Like if I manage to get down five levels does it give me a permanent ladder to start there? I can only get down like three or four levels before my guy is just gassed. How are you supposed to do like 200 levels?

Save your game manually every time you reach a new floor. Find the ladder, reload and go straight for the ladder. Rinse and repeat.

Cherubae

Oct 31, 2017
Beaverton, Oregon, USA
Okay but I have to start from the top doing this every time?

At first, yes. but...

After you give 100 daily gifts to the Harvest Goddess, she will install an elevator to the mine entrances. This allows you to skip to floors 50, 100, 150, 200, and 225, but only if you made it that far into the mine on your own. If you only made it to floor 60 with the standard staircase/pitfall method, the elevator will only go to floor 50 until you manually reach floor 100, and so on.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
At first, yes. but...

After you give 100 daily gifts to the Harvest Goddess, she will install an elevator to the mine entrances. This allows you to skip to floors 50, 100, 150, 200, and 225, but only if you made it that far into the mine on your own. If you only made it to floor 60 with the standard staircase/pitfall method, the elevator will only go to floor 50 until you manually reach floor 100, and so on.

How do you give gifts to the Harvest Goddess? She's randomly spoken to me a couple times about my pedometer but I've never actually found her on the map.