• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
It's great how fast this game plays but it makes stuff like the slow fatigue animations stick out even more.

I wish I could make the text show up all at once without having to button mash too, it scrolls too slowly. Reminds me of VNs where I immediately change that aspect :/
The inevitable PC mods to fix these little problems are why I'll double dip when the steam version goes on sale. (Switch version had to come first for playing right before bed)

Sep 24, 2019
I have been a very big Harvest Moon/ now Story of Seasons fan in the past and am very glad this game got remade.
But the artstyle just does not feel right to me.

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a detailed strategy guide out there? Back when I used to play 64 and Back to Nature, I had a physical strategy guide that would tell me what everything sells for every season, where every romantic interest would be every time every day of the week, etc. Not finding anything like that online, and would go for a physical strategy guide if there was a good one like that.

Either way, got my copy and pink cow plush (via mail!) last night and really enjoyed the few hours I spent with it. I miss the layout from Back to Nature, but that's a minor gripe I'm sure I'll adjust to.

Oct 27, 2017
I have been a very big Harvest Moon/ now Story of Seasons fan in the past and am very glad this game got remade.
But the artstyle just does not feel right to me.
it's bad. in motion, and in handheld, it's weirdly fine to me, though. i think it's because the resolution is so good (which, obviously, was probably not exceptionally difficult to do considering the gamecube esque graphics).

outside of the main graphics which i weirdly don't mind, i do mind the character portraits. they look so... blah.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Items used in meals go in the fridge which you can buy from Gotz based off of this video:

You need to have completed the first home renovation for the fridge to appear as an option.

Ok thanks for the help :)
This game is WEIRD to me!! I'm pretty much new to the game, so I wasn't sure what to expect.
I accidentally ate an egg - the egg someone had just given me, while trying to see if i could put it in the incubator to make a chicken :(
I'm trying to run around and talk to everyone, and gift the goddess and allll those sprite things, but I'm running out of flowers/grass to give anyone even though I'm foraging around. The time really does fly by too - by the time I'm done my very meager (for now) chores on the farm it's lunch time. I can forage really fast and run to town to talk to ppl and then it's evening. Hit a few rocks/grass in my field and it's bedtime.
I don't feel like I can reliably get farm chores done, talk to everyone everyday, visit goddess, and forage in a day. But I keep reading online this is what I should do. It's stressful, not fun, so far for me lol.
So I think I'm going to focus on only the goddess and sprites for talking/gifting, and everyone else can just wait until later!!!! I don't mind some time pressure in the game, but that lack of an "are you sure?" when I ate the egg, and the insane low bag space, while having things that must stay in that bag and can't be stored anywhere, and the super fast time passing, and it was honestly charming and sorta fun but too much "work" :)

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoying it more than I expected. It's just such a comfy game but the days are shorter than I remember them. Guess I got too adjusted to stardew valley over the years.

I see everyone saying to save before each new mine floor but so far I haven't figured out how to access the menu when it's not from the journal. Using my xbox or switch controller on the PC version the standard menu buttons only open up either a map of my farm or a map of the town. Does know if it's possible?

moon jelly

Jun 24, 2020
United States
Is there a detailed strategy guide out there? Back when I used to play 64 and Back to Nature, I had a physical strategy guide that would tell me what everything sells for every season, where every romantic interest would be every time every day of the week, etc. Not finding anything like that online, and would go for a physical strategy guide if there was a good one like that.
I don't think there will be any physical strategy guides outside of Japan, but the Ranch Story wiki does have most of the info you're looking for: https://ranchstory.miraheze.org/wiki/Widget:NaviSoSFoMT

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Really enjoying it more than I expected. It's just such a comfy game but the days are shorter than I remember them. Guess I got too adjusted to stardew valley over the years.

I see everyone saying to save before each new mine floor but so far I haven't figured out how to access the menu when it's not from the journal. Using my xbox or switch controller on the PC version the standard menu buttons only open up either a map of my farm or a map of the town. Does know if it's possible?
I am not sure if this helps but when playing the game on the Switch, the X button brings up the various menus such as the options, journal, and animal info. I am not sure if Steam completely remaps the keys though.

Game Controls | Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town

This guide page explains the control buttons in SoS:FoMT for Nintendo Switch.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Is there anyway to drop items back on the ground after picking them up? I accidently sometimes pick up logs before chopping them and I swear I've tried every combination of buttons to try and put it back on the ground.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I am not sure if this helps but when playing the game on the Switch, the X button brings up the various menus such as the options, journal, and animal info. I am not sure if Steam completely remaps the keys though.

Game Controls | Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town

This guide page explains the control buttons in SoS:FoMT for Nintendo Switch.

Thanks very much! It worked with my pro controller on steam. Maybe there's something strange on my xbox controller config for some reason but I will have a look later

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Adult cows are much larger than calves. You can also see at the Animal menu. If it can't be milked, the milk icon will have a cross.
Thank yah. It still has that mark on it. I️ got them at the same time so I️ wasn't sure the scale. Tried milking em a few times and it didn't do anything. Figured I'd check

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there anyway to drop items back on the ground after picking them up? I accidently sometimes pick up logs before chopping them and I swear I've tried every combination of buttons to try and put it back on the ground.
You have to till the spot of land first. If you hover over the item in your storage/the bag menu it does say this in the item description. Essentially you 'plant' it

Oct 28, 2017
It's great how fast this game plays but it makes stuff like the slow fatigue animations stick out even more.

I wish I could make the text show up all at once without having to button mash too, it scrolls too slowly. Reminds me of VNs where I immediately change that aspect :/
Hold B and all the text will vanish before you can even read it. Except on Mana, where it will make it scroll very quickly.

Intraxidance

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really enjoying the game. It's kind of nice to have a more simplified Story Of Seasons game, compared to Trio of Towns which found me constantly hoarding things like sticks for random projects. Even the graphics grew on me after awhile.

I understand that they wanted to be faithful to the original game, but the way maximum animal hearts work is garbage. It will take years just to get a max cow or sheep.

Fulluphigh

Oct 31, 2017
it's bad. in motion, and in handheld, it's weirdly fine to me, though. i think it's because the resolution is so good (which, obviously, was probably not exceptionally difficult to do considering the gamecube esque graphics).

outside of the main graphics which i weirdly don't mind, i do mind the character portraits. they look so... blah.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised at the game itself, when it's in motion. 60fps really does wonders, it makes things feel smooth and pleasant (aside from the occasionally janky animation).

But the portraits are even worse then I thought, when they're blown up and zoomed in on the faces. In particular, the bachelorettes are straight up kinda... creepy. Especially compared to some of the bachelors, every single one of them looks so childish, even more so than the normal anime effect. The mouths are so... unsettlingly small and child-like. I hate it T_T Meanwhile half the bachelors look like they're in their mid thirties. Jesus...

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
No problem, it's not very intuitive tbh, I get why you were confused.

Yeah I remember it being super simple in most of the games and just being generally confused here haha
I've never had to do this, sounds a bit off? I just put the log/stick/rock in hand and can set it anywhere open on the field, tilled or not. But not back down on anywhere else.

I can try again after but I know nothing i seemed to do worked, unless you are only able to put things back down on your land specifically.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a little confused by the hearts and friendship system. I have people who I have more musical notes for and that I've seen more special events for that still have a lower heart than others.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never had to do this, sounds a bit off? I just put the log/stick/rock in hand and can set it anywhere open on the field, tilled or not. But not back down on anywhere else.
The game directly tells you this is how you have to place branches down after picking them up. I agree it's weird but it's definitely how you have to do it.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Made it to autumn, got Ran to yellow heart with Popuri not far behind. Having a far more difficult time figuring out who to whoo.

Is it just me or did all of the male candidates get emo'd up pretty hard. Even the new guy. Like I know they were before to an extent, but they are just very unappealing.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Made it to autumn, got Ran to yellow heart with Popuri not far behind. Having a far more difficult time figuring out who to whoo.

Is it just me or did all of the male candidates get emo'd up pretty hard. Even the new guy. Like I know they were before to an extent, but they are just very unappealing.
Kai is like anti-emo. Gray is also significantly less angsty in this version.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017

The translator wasn't kidding, they are very direct, not just with you, but with others in events. This is absolutely a positive thing, good job to the xseed localizers there.

Not the most trans friendly since you can't set pronouns, but I'd imagine that's just as much, if not more, a limitation of the engine they were given to work with

Now if only marvelous would remember that PoC exist in the character creator...

(Edit) one last one for now.

Last edited:

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
The translator wasn't kidding, they are very direct, not just with you, but with others in events. This is absolutely a positive thing, good job to the xseed localizers there.

Yeah. Most of my harvest moon experience is Stardew Valley and not real Story of Seasons games, so I wasn't really aware how badly it had been handled previously (or not handled at all sometimes?) but it is nice to see the gay marriage stuff just be... proper in this game. Not the weird "best friend connection!" thing they apparently got in Japan, or anything like that.

The first event with Ran that hints towards romance is really sweet in a gay relationship too. Like, her father wants to talk to you about how she never seemed concerned with romance before but suddenly you are all she talks about, and it just.. it works out perfectly for Ran being a gay girl living in a small town where she probably wouldn't have many options, you know? I'm sure that dialogue is exactly the same if I was playing a guy but still, it really lined up so well.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Is there any reason to save/use the invitation the harvest sprites give you as opposed to just selling it? The reward for using it doesn't seem as valuable as selling the invitation itself.

MykonosFan

Oct 25, 2017
But the portraits are even worse then I thought, when they're blown up and zoomed in on the faces. In particular, the bachelorettes are straight up kinda... creepy. Especially compared to some of the bachelors, every single one of them looks so childish, even more so than the normal anime effect. The mouths are so... unsettlingly small and child-like. I hate it T_T Meanwhile half the bachelors look like they're in their mid thirties. Jesus...

Gotta agree. I'm warming up to the style more than I thought I would as a whole, but characters like Popuri are still just kinda off-putting.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Some characters look less childlike than the old art I think, some look more. It is a bit of a mixed bag. Like the STYLE of the original game definitely looks better. But I was looking up some of the old art and even though is better, I HATE how young Ran looked like in the original game. Like she is a CHILD. At least I can pretend she is a young adult in this game.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand some of the concern about how young the characters look, but it is still a game designed for mostly young children that just happened to have an older audience who grew up on the originals still playing them.

If the game sexualized the characters, THAT'S when I'd actually side eye it and anyone defending it but at least so far, nothing I've seen in the original or remake does this. (There are no listening in on opposite gender bath scenes, no walking into girls mid changing, no suggestive poses or camera angles, all of which have been in other HM/SoS/RF games).

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I can understand some of the concern about how young the characters look, but it is still a game designed for mostly young children that just happened to have an older audience who grew up on the originals still playing them.

If the game sexualized the characters, THAT'S when I'd actually side eye it and anyone defending it but at least so far, nothing I've seen in the original or remake does this. (There are no listening in on opposite gender bath scenes, no walking into girls mid changing, no suggestive poses or camera angles, all of which have been in other HM/SoS/RF games).

That is a fair statement, this game doesn't sexualize the characters and the target audience is children anyway.

I do kind of like in rune factory 4 that there was kind of a variety of ages in the marriage candidates. Some characters like Amber looks super young, but if you are a child playing the game anyway than whatever. But characters like Clorica feel like they could be in there mid twenties, which if you're an adult playing the game feels a lot less creepy.

I did give up on RF4 really early though, didn't click with me. Does it get creepy in that anime way?

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any point in using the fencing ? Does it keep the animals out of the field? Would they go in there

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
That is a fair statement, this game doesn't sexualize the characters and the target audience is children anyway.

I do kind of like in rune factory 4 that there was kind of a variety of ages in the marriage candidates. Some characters like Amber looks super young, but if you are a child playing the game anyway than whatever. But characters like Clorica feel like they could be in there mid twenties, which if you're an adult playing the game feels a lot less creepy.

I did give up on RF4 really early though, didn't click with me. Does it get creepy in that anime way?
From what I remember of RF4, it had the typical anime bath scene shenanigans, and maybe some questionable choices in swimsuits? I only played the 3ds version at release so it's not exactly fresh in my mind.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Is there any point in using the fencing ? Does it keep the animals out of the field? Would they go in there
In the original, I believe it kept your animals safe from wild dogs in you left them out overnight. Since they automatically go back in the barn now, other than just dividing your field however you place them, fencing works to halt grass growth.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Fun stuff from an interview with Matsuyama(main artist for most of the series) a few months back:

Regarding the character design changes for the Mineral Town remake:

Matsuyama: "I really love Harvest Moon 64.
I am very much attached to all of the characters that first appeared in that game.
As the new game includes a cast whose personalities and relationships have been changed, the designs do not necessarily represent them completely. There is quite a bit of regret on my part because of that.

Regarding Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town, I was prepared for negative feedback, of course. However, rather than branching off of the cast of Harvest Moon 64 again, the characters were designed according to the new setting.
Of course, this isn't a decision I made alone.

We all wanted to honor the feelings of the fans of the original Mineral Town games. As such, the colors of the original designs were used as much as possible when creating the redesigns.

Regarding whether the new protagonist designs were inspired by Sara, GB games female protagonist:

Matsuyama: "As you pointed out, she does look a little bit like Sara.
The instructions I received from the producer were to give her a short haircut, lively personality, hoodie, and shorts. When it comes to a heroine wearing shorts and a short hairstyle, you would surely end up thinking of Sara."

"Additionally, the male protagonist [of the new game] has been designed a little similarly to that of the A Wonderful Life protagonist."

There's more interesting stuff about the series the interview as well.

ranchstory.news.blog

Something Special: Igusa Matsuyama Interviewed by Ranch Story Community!

As a fan of Story of Seasons since the earliest days in Flowerbud Village, I have always adored the artwork of Igusa Matsuyama, who has helped make the worlds of Bokumono feel so alive, colorful, v…

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Has anyone managed to find cracks in the floor in the mines? I'm only in summer but have been trying to do the mines relatively regularly but it's a bummer that I haven't found any dropping points yet :(

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some characters look less childlike than the old art I think, some look more. It is a bit of a mixed bag. Like the STYLE of the original game definitely looks better. But I was looking up some of the old art and even though is better, I HATE how young Ran looked like in the original game. Like she is a CHILD. At least I can pretend she is a young adult in this game.
FWIW the main romanceable characters are all in their 20's like the protagonist. Personally I think the designs are a lot better because they aren't so chibi, and the majority of characters look like they are 20+. I don't really like Popuri's overly cutesy design, I could see how she could rub people the wrong way. Otherwise though the characters look and act like adults, Karen is a sassy boozehound, Jennifer is an outdoorsy type obsessed with interrogating the spirituality of nature, and Marie is a fastidious librarian working on her novel, Elly is a dutiful, kind, and conservatively dressed nurse. Don't really get the complaints in this thread, feel like some people are looking way too hard for something that isn't there.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
In the original, I believe it kept your animals safe from wild dogs in you left them out overnight. Since they automatically go back in the barn now, other than just dividing your field however you place them, fencing works to halt grass growth.
Gotcha. I️ remember putting them up in the original bit it didn't seem like they go in there. Thank ya

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Old Designs:
954c78e0185b626148906ff67c5a28f7.jpg

New Deigns:
SoSFoMT6ettes-1024x392.jpg

SoSFoMT6bachelors-1024x444.jpg

I would say the new ones look older than original designs. The exception would be maybe Popuri, who is about equal.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Old Designs:
954c78e0185b626148906ff67c5a28f7.jpg

New Deigns:
SoSFoMT6ettes-1024x392.jpg

SoSFoMT6bachelors-1024x444.jpg

I would say the new ones look older than original designs. The exception would be maybe Popuri, who is about equal.
Yeah idk how anyone could look at this comparison and not come away thinking the designs are massively improved. Brandon and Jennifer look the most different because they are new designs made in the SoS art style and not trying to incorporate the old chibi designs into the more modern SoS art style.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
I think only Rick, Elli, and Mary look better in the new designs. I prefer the originals for everyone else, including the NPCs. (Poor Zack...)

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
My opinion on the designs is that some of them needed to be changed because they didn't make sense in the game like Gray and Ran wearing ranching clothes with Gray's hat outright saying "horse" on it. Everything about the new designs is definitely more modern in both the way they are drawn as well as the clothes they are wearing and closer looking to their actual ages, while the originals are clearly based on 90s anime.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly the core of the problem is just how terrible people's mouths look in a lot of their expressions, with the new design.