• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I forgot this was coming out on Steam too aaaahhh!
Now I don't know which to get.

I see it's 60fps and that's...pretty shocking on Switch but amazing. I guess the only other things are the resolution and loading times. I'll probably play most all docked. Anyone know about these things?

Kass15

Jan 14, 2018
Art style is definitely growing on me. Was jarring at first but I'm starting to come around and really like it.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Art style is definitely growing on me. Was jarring at first but I'm starting to come around and really like it.
The artstyle may not be pushing the system or anything but its very clean and the textures are all crisp. The only time it looks "bad" is when theres not much going on on the ground.

My only visual complaint is the lack of facial animations.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Did the power berry locations change in this game compared to the original? I don't remember the original back to nature having a power berry hidden in the field, but I found one of the first game as I was plowing to plant my first crops.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
BtN was my first Harvest Moon and I love it dearly, and I've spent dozens if not hundreds of hours with FoMT, so I was a little concerned about this game based on the screens and some video reviews I'd watched of this game. I'm totally sold on it after a few hours though, it feels good, I've grown to love how it looks in motion, and it's the first Harvest Moon in a long time to draw me in like they used to. I can finally understand HM and Stardew living on and occupying their own piece of the farming pie.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what is with games and 8 character limit, but as a person with a 9 letter name it is always catching me. When I was younger I used to stubbornly name myself "Elizabet" anyway.

CTheng

Apr 28, 2020
Did the power berry locations change in this game compared to the original? I don't remember the original back to nature having a power berry hidden in the field, but I found one of the first game as I was plowing to plant my first crops.
The power berry locations should be based exactly on the one from the original FoMT, which has a few differences from Back to Nature. So no magic talking tree that gives you a power berry after you try to cut it.

Last edited:

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta say the difficulty options are underwhelming. I don't want to raise friendships super fast without earning it, and I don't want to just start with a bunch of free stuff.
But if they had a "Time passes at half speed" easy option, I'd have been all over it.

To be fair, I wouldn't have thought anything of it if there just wasn't' a difficulty option at all.

Edit: I am losing my mind. How do I hold an item in my hands to give it as a gift?

Last edited:

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta say the difficulty options are underwhelming. I don't want to raise friendships super fast without earning it, and I don't want to just start with a bunch of free stuff.
But if they had a "Time passes at half speed" easy option, I'd have been all over it.

To be fair, I wouldn't have thought anything of it if there just wasn't' a difficulty option at all.

Edit: I am losing my mind. How do I hold an item in my hands to give it as a gift?
Use the right stick. Took me hours to figure that out, lol

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
I loved playing Harvest Moon on PS1 when I was a kid. Thinking of buying this but... How does it compare to Stardew Valley and Rune Factory 4 on Switch?
I already own Stardew Valley but want one more game like these to have options and wondering if I should get this or Rune Factory 4 =/

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I loved playing Harvest Moon on PS1 when I was a kid. Thinking of buying this but... How does it compare to Stardew Valley and Rune Factory 4 on Switch?
I already own Stardew Valley but want one more game like these to have options and wondering if I should get this or Rune Factory 4 =/
It's actually a remake of a remake of Harvest Moon PS1. So it will be very familiar to you. Depends on what you are looking for, RF4 is 1/3rd farming, 1/3rd social aspects, 1/3rd RPG. SoS:FoMt is 1/2 farming 1/2 social stuff.

I recommend both tbh.

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Like I said on a few SoS/HM groups I dunno if I wanna get this or not. It was fun and amazing as a kid/teenager, but not sure if it'll have the same appeal to me as an adult. With that being said, they got to keep the Natsume names in this?

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
The power berry locations should be based exactly on the one from the original FoMT, which has a few differences from Back to Nature. So no magic talking tree that gives you a power berry after you try to cut it.

I see. Despite buying the game off the WiiU virtual console, I never played the GBA version of the game much. I am still used to the PS1 version.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Like I said on a few SoS/HM groups I dunno if I wanna get this or not. It was fun and amazing as a kid/teenager, but not sure if it'll have the same appeal to me as an adult. With that being said, they got to keep the Natsume names in this?

Some names have changed, like Ann is now Ran and Elli is Elly, Won is Huang. I think most of them remained the same though.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
No. XSEED decided to completely redo the localization so there is very little, if any, of the original Natsume localization of in it. That includes the name changes from the original release since they wanted to be more faithful to the Japanese script and names.

Oct 27, 2017
What are the main differences between this and the Doraemon SoS game? I assume Doraemon is just more modern, has more stuff to do, and doesn't have marriage?

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are the main differences between this and the Doraemon SoS game? I assume Doraemon is just more modern, has more stuff to do, and doesn't have marriage?
Doraemon SoS is heavily tied to the Doraemon license, so lots of Doraemon characters and story-related stuff. I wouldn't say it has more stuff to do. This game is definitely better than the Doraemon one unless you are a big fan of Doraemon.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Pretty quiet in here but I have a question (sorry).
I was going to buy on PC but that looks like it's a steaming HOT MESS right now (game won't launch for most people, missing files or a kernel problem I don't know, launches in Japanese and you have to find option to change to English in the US) but someone on Steam just mentioned that for moving your character around, ONLY the analog stick can be used and there is no keybind to make you move with DPAD. Is this true on Switch also? If the game has full analog movement then it may not be as big a deal, but planting and watering stuff using the analog stick to line yourself up sounds like hell?!

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty quiet in here but I have a question (sorry).
I was going to buy on PC but that looks like it's a steaming HOT MESS right now (game won't launch for most people, missing files or a kernel problem I don't know, launches in Japanese and you have to find option to change to English in the US) but someone on Steam just mentioned that for moving your character around, ONLY the analog stick can be used and there is no keybind to make you move with DPAD. Is this true on Switch also? If the game has full analog movement then it may not be as big a deal, but planting and watering stuff using the analog stick to line yourself up sounds like hell?!

The game seems to have 8 directional movement instead of full analog, and DPad manages another menu of sorts.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok thanks. So is it totally fine using analog to do everything in your experience? If not, I was thinking Keyboard/Mouse might work even better (which I never ever use on PC if I don't have to lol).
Game works fine with the analog stick for movement, not a problem at all.

Anyone know why buying the big bed upgrade doesn't replace the regular bed? I just bought it and the two beds are just right next to each other, looks ridiculous lol

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Game works fine with the analog stick for movement, not a problem at all.

Anyone know why buying the big bed upgrade doesn't replace the regular bed? I just bought it and the two beds are just right next to each other, looks ridiculous lol
You sleep in the regular bed while your spouse and child sleep in the big bed if it works like it did in the original.

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/CSX142857
Quick question, I just started the game and nowhere close to this moment but I wanted to know in advance. Can you pick the gender of your child?

So excited to finally start this. Haven't put in a lot of time into this series since the first FoMT back on the GBA

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Well. I think I've already decided to never talk to Mannah again. I get what they are going for with her talks forever gimmick, but that be be accomplished by just giving her lots of dialogue you can click through at your own reading rate. The way it forces it to scroll slower than you read is a bit much.

Do relationships decay in this one. Like if I don't talk to someone for a month will I lose musical notes or hearts?

Deleted member 4434

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quick question, I just started the game and nowhere close to this moment but I wanted to know in advance. Can you pick the gender of your child?

So excited to finally start this. Haven't put in a lot of time into this series since the first FoMT back on the GBA
After you visit the hospital and the doctor tells you or your spouse is pregnant, the Harvest Goddess will drop by next day and asks if you're hoping for a boy, a girl, or are ok with either, in which case it'll be random.

Well. I think I've already decided to never talk to Mannah again. I get what they are going for with her talks forever gimmick, but that be be accomplished by just giving her lots of dialogue you can click through at your own reading rate. The way it forces it to scroll slower than you read is a bit much.

Do relationships decay in this one. Like if I don't talk to someone for a month will I lose musical notes or hearts?
Doesn't seem that way, only for harvest sprites I've had to keep bribing them with flour to get them to work for me lol

Pangorogoro

Oct 31, 2017
used some eshop coins so i got this for $45. I actually never played the GBA game, my first was AWL then Magical Melody then DS so I'm excited to see what this has to offer

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Is there any way to turn off the beeping during text boxes? It's absolutely awful.
I guess this could be turned off by turning the SFX volume down to 0 in the options but it would probably turn other noises off as well.

sorry if this was already shared but here's a nice tweet thread by one of the localizers:
It is so great to have gay marriage in this game and not have to use cross dressing as a work around.

Cherubae

Oct 31, 2017
Beaverton, Oregon, USA
No, and you can leave it outside all night. Only bother bringing them in (and feeding them) if it's raining or will rain the next day.

(You do need them in a fenced in area so the wild dogs can't bother them though)

That's the GBA version :) It's been simplified in the updated version. There is a bell on the outside of a barn that herds the animals outside. The animals automatically return to the barns at 8:00 pm.

The outdoor animals are fed/grazed after 4 hours of outdoor time.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
That's the GBA version :) It's been simplified in the updated version. There is a bell on the outside of a barn that herds the animals outside. The animals automatically return to the barns at 8:00 pm.

So wild dogs are just gone? They were also in Back to Nature. To be honest these changes don't annoy me too much, as I get older this stuff would just annoy me more and make me grow tired of playing faster.

Tidalwaves

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any way to change the footstep sound? Odd request I know but wow the sound of the mc walking really grates me. THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP.

I turned the sfx down which is an awful fix because I'd love to hear the other sound effects...

moon jelly

Jun 24, 2020
United States
I have to say, the game doesn't look too bad when you're actually playing it. It's certainly not as ugly as I thought it was going to be. Still not really sold on the portraits, but I can get used to them.

Ok thanks. So is it totally fine using analog to do everything in your experience? If not, I was thinking Keyboard/Mouse might work even better (which I never ever use on PC if I don't have to lol).
There's a sidestep button that makes it easier to water your plants, if you're struggling to do it with the normal controls. It slows you down and gives you Dpad-like movement.

Yes, they do. There's a 10% chance of losing friend points/love points every day that you don't talk to someone, according to the fogu guide.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah just got the game and started playing, there are a lot more differences than many led me to believe. Overall the game is definitely easier/simpler. Also either there map is smaller or time goes by slower since I can go to every area and still have time to farm and fish which is definitely not possible early on.

Items stacking is absolutely a god send.

QNn6ZCF.jpg

Also, very nice!