• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
A Wonderful Life does a lot different from most of the other games in the franchise. Cows actually have to birth a calf to give milk, NPCs age, your child has interests that can be molded by the player, seasons are only ten days, fewer marriage candidates, it has a chapter system, and ultimately has an ending (some of the enhanced versions changed this) for example.

FoMT and most others in the series have a lot more marriage candidates, many more days in each season, cows do not have to give birth to produce milk, more festivals, and while some have a story they do not have an ending and can be played indefinitely.
Oh interesting, there's no "ending" to work toward then? That's a little bit unappealing in some ways (I like finality and being able to feel like I can close a chapter in my games I put time into), but it still sounds like a good time anyway. Thank you for the info!

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
My game came a few days ago, so I already played to autumn and it's funny because all the things I learned from the original (and BtN) still apply. I could trigger all the events exactly as I did them in FoMT. It's even possible to gain money with the "derby trick" still.

Sometimes the game feels like it did stick to the original a bit TOO much. Like: Why don't I have something to put my lumber & stones into? I mean, I can stuff them in the cabinet but newer games had a specific shed for that. Also, you can only switch screens while being exactly on the path and not on the gras etc., as well as people "sticking" to me when I walk into them.
Those things were in the OG FoMT already but why not update them?

Cute is, that the conversations change depending on who you met already at the black heart events. I am not sure, if it was always like that but it is a nice touch.

I love the game but I am not sure if it is worth full price. Right now it feels like you could easily just pull out your GBA and play FoMT on that, and you still have the almost same experience (maybe even with a more pleasent style, if you don't like the chibi stuff), it feels a bit outdated at times. The new characters are okay. I like Brandon but Jennifer is a bit too spiritual for me, so I could do without them.

Also: The game feels incredibly easy, if you really know stuff from the OG. I had so much money right off the bat, because I did the derby trick and just spammed the spirits with grass (not weed!), so they could water my 10 x 9 fields of pineapple in summer. It's still so easy to "break" the game. (I personally don't mind it but that just shows how similar it is to the OG because every trick that worked over 15 years ago, still works perfectly fine).
I am not sure it's fair to use a exploit and call the game easy because of that

Pastel Melon

Jan 2, 2020
Germany
I am not sure it's fair to use a exploit and call the game easy because of that

You could argue the derby trick but giving the spirtis presents isn't really exploitative, as well as investing into pineapple seeds. I bought my house from the derby trick but everything that came after was done with what the game offers: crops + help from the spirits.

Oct 27, 2017
My game came a few days ago, so I already played to autumn and it's funny because all the things I learned from the original (and BtN) still apply. I could trigger all the events exactly as I did them in FoMT. It's even possible to gain money with the "derby trick" still.

Sometimes the game feels like it did stick to the original a bit TOO much. Like: Why don't I have something to put my lumber & stones into? I mean, I can stuff them in the cabinet but newer games had a specific shed for that. Also, you can only switch screens while being exactly on the path and not on the gras etc., as well as people "sticking" to me when I walk into them.
Those things were in the OG FoMT already but why not update them?

Cute is, that the conversations change depending on who you met already at the black heart events. I am not sure, if it was always like that but it is a nice touch.

I love the game but I am not sure if it is worth full price. Right now it feels like you could easily just pull out your GBA and play FoMT on that, and you still have the almost same experience (maybe even with a more pleasent style, if you don't like the chibi stuff), it feels a bit outdated at times. The new characters are okay. I like Brandon but Jennifer is a bit too spiritual for me, so I could do without them.

Also: The game feels incredibly easy, if you really know stuff from the OG. I had so much money right off the bat, because I did the derby trick and just spammed the spirits with grass (not weed!), so they could water my 10 x 9 fields of pineapple in summer. It's still so easy to "break" the game. (I personally don't mind it but that just shows how similar it is to the OG because every trick that worked over 15 years ago, still works perfectly fine).
as someone who didn't delve too deeply into the original, nor has the patience to find their gameboy micro buried deep in a box in the closet, would you recommend it? it's very interesting how closely it mimics the original. seems like it's at the very least a competent, fun time.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a HUGE fan of the old-school Harvest Moon games (the SNES one is one of my top ten favorite games of all-time) but this game seems a bit overpriced for what it is. I still own the Friends of Mineral Town cart if I really get the need to play it. Really on the fence about picking this up.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Aw, man. I have such fond memories of Harvest Moon and considering how surprisingly well this is being received, I might actually get it.

The real question is physical or digital? I like the boxart but this is also the kind of game that I would prefer to have on Switch at all times and it holds very little space in a memory card.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
Aw, man. I have such fond memories of Harvest Moon and considering how surprisingly well this is being received, I might actually get it.

The real question is physical or digital? I like the boxart but this is also the kind of game that I would prefer to have on Switch at all times and it holds very little space in a memory card.

Digital for sure. This is one of those games you can always have as a fallback.

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017

Physical. You can still claim the Nintendo coins, it's the same price, and if it sucks, you can sell or trade your copy away. Also, if you pre-order from Best Buy you get this bad boy.

107502956_574338373166222_2834744765985028332_n.jpg

h8bit

Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
God this was my favorite game as a kid. Might pick up eventually on a deep sale because that art style is just not for me at all

Pastel Melon

Jan 2, 2020
Germany
as someone who didn't delve too deeply into the original, nor has the patience to find their gameboy micro buried deep in a box in the closet, would you recommend it? it's very interesting how closely it mimics the original. seems like it's at the very least a competent, fun time.
I have lots of fun with it, even tho it feels kinda archaic because they kept so many things in the game. It's far more simple than Stardew Valley or even newer Story of Seasons because they follow the original VERY closely.

If you don't mind that, it's a game that keeps you idle and feels really "cosy" to me.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm confused. I got a message that I need to buy a brush, but when I get to the shop and talk to the dude it just says 'Counter', lmao. When I walk around it and talk to him he says "what do you need?" or something like that without any menu. I also can't seem to upgrade my tools even though I did get a message for it.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I'm confused. I got a message that I need to buy a brush, but when I get to the shop and talk to the dude it just says 'Counter', lmao. When I walk around it and talk to him he says "what do you need?" or something like that without any menu. I also can't seem to upgrade my tools even though I did get a message for it.
Was it time for the shop to be open?

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Yeah. I'm pretty early in the game though. I'm went in the next day and I got a cutscene of Gray arguing with Saibara. I just find it odd Saibara asks me what I need without giving me a menu to buy stuff, and the game telling me I can do stuff I apparently can't do yet.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah. I'm pretty early in the game though. I'm went in the next day and I got a cutscene of Gray arguing with Saibara. I just find it odd Saibara asks me what I need without giving me a menu to buy stuff, and the game telling me I can do stuff I apparently can't do yet.
I know in the original that seeing certain cutscenes like the heart events, for example would prevent you from doing any interactions like buying from shops. You would have to go out and then come back in. This remake might be similar.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I know in the original that seeing certain cutscenes like the heart events, for example would prevent you from doing any interactions like buying from shops. You would have to go out and then come back in. This remake might be similar.
I think it's just that I'm too early in the game. I'm on day 7 now and I could buy the brush. I didn't have enough money though, haha.

Pastel Melon

Jan 2, 2020
Germany

Yup, that has to be it. You can use the shops in game right away. (Besides that one shop...)

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I really love the game, but man do these days go by fast. The days feel much shorter to me than Stardew Valley.

Also; is there no easy way to descend the mines? I was at floor 13 or 14 before my stamina ran out, went outside to chill in the hot spring, went back in and I had to start all over again. Is there no elevator or shortcut when you hit a certain level?

Last edited:

Deleted member 4434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really love the game, but man do these days go by fast. The days feel much shorter to me than Stardew Valley.

Also; is there no easy way to descend the mines? I was at floor 13 or 14 before my stamina ran out, went outside to chill in the hot spring, went back in and I had to start all over again. Is there no elevator or shortcut when you hit a certain level?
In the original game I entered the mine, saved, dug until I found the ladder, reloaded the save and went for the ladder immediately.
It'll save you a ton of stamina, and bringing some items that'll boost your health will help a lot too.

There seems to be an actual elevator feature this time around, if you give the Harvest Goddess 100 gifts. It'll let you jump to 50 floors at the time, but you must have reached them beforehand.

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah my sister texted the exact same thing, its 10mins per second though isn't it?

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is there by chance a way to disable these Animations that play when you reach certain thresholds of left Stamina/Fatigue? Kinda annoying getting an Animation every time i reach 80 Stamina left while doing farmwork.

Yeah my sister texted the exact same thing, its 10mins per second though isn't it?
Its around 5 Real Seconds for 10 Ingame Minutes.

Last edited:

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else always having Problems in games like that on How to name all your animals etc.?
I reached peak creativity for this one, and am just numbering them now. :D
EctaufvUwAER6yQ.png

Deleted member 4434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else always having Problems in games like that on How to name all your animals etc.?
I reached peak creativity for this one, and am just numbering them now. :D
EctaufvUwAER6yQ.png
I'm sitting staring at the input screen at least 10 minutes. Better part of an hour when I had to name the farm.
Puddi was a great name for my yellow baby chick but now that it's an adult it's not really that great anymore lmao.
My other chicken is named Dotty, my horse is Poncho and I gave my cow the same name as in the GBA game, Bonnie. There'll be a sheep named Clyde. ~( ̄▽ ̄~)

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
So you can't store your items like ore in some box to use it later? You can only carry them in the inventory?

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I feel as if the graphics in the trailer don't do the game justice. It seems to look much better in game.

addyb

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone advise on how you get utensils? Ive managed to buy a pot but nowhere sells knifes, rolling pins etc. Do i just have to wait until the store stocks them?

Also whats the benefit of upgrading the fishing rod? I have done this once and not sure what a 'charged' cast does.

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone advise on how you get utensils? Ive managed to buy a pot but nowhere sells knifes, rolling pins etc. Do i just have to wait until the store stocks them?
Yep, General store is stocking a new kitchen utensil every couple days, so you just need to wait to get all.

• Seasoning Set (2500 G): The day the medium house upgrade is complete
  • Cooking Pot (1000 G): 10 days after the Seasoning Set goes on sale
  • Frying Pan (1200 G): 10 days after the Cooking Pot goes on sale
  • Knife (1500 G): 10 days after the Frying Pan goes on sale
  • Oven (2500 G): 10 days after the Knife goes on sale
  • Rolling Pin (750 G): 10 day after the Oven goes on sale
  • Mixer (1200 G): 10 days after the Rolling Pin goes on sale
  • Whisk (500 G): 10 days after the Mixer goes on sale
Also whats the benefit of upgrading the fishing rod? I have done this once and not sure what a 'charged' cast does.

Theres different type of Fish you catch on each charge level.

Fishing | Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town

This guide page lists the location of all of the catchable fish in SoS:FoMT.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Does anyone know what time this will be unlocking for NA? I have it preloaded, but not sure if it'll be a 12am EST/9 pm PST Monday or sometime on Tuesday--really hoping it'll be a 9pm release...

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know what time this will be unlocking for NA? I have it preloaded, but not sure if it'll be a 12am EST/9 pm PST Monday or sometime on Tuesday--really hoping it'll be a 9pm release...

Midnight EST most likely. Was a midnight release for the other Regions so would make no sense to not be one in NA.

addyb

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, General store is stocking a new kitchen utensil every couple days, so you just need to wait to get all.

• Seasoning Set (2500 G): The day the medium house upgrade is complete
  • Cooking Pot (1000 G): 10 days after the Seasoning Set goes on sale
  • Frying Pan (1200 G): 10 days after the Cooking Pot goes on sale
  • Knife (1500 G): 10 days after the Frying Pan goes on sale
  • Oven (2500 G): 10 days after the Knife goes on sale
  • Rolling Pin (750 G): 10 day after the Oven goes on sale
  • Mixer (1200 G): 10 days after the Rolling Pin goes on sale
  • Whisk (500 G): 10 days after the Mixer goes on sale

Theres different type of Fish you catch on each charge level.

Fishing | Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town

This guide page lists the location of all of the catchable fish in SoS:FoMT.

Thanks mate. Much appreciated.

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm damn close to pulling the trigger on a pre-order. Back To Nature / Friends of Mineral Town are some of my favourite games. $60 CAD is a bit steep but I would easily get that amount of value out of it.

Honestly a big part of my hesitation is that half the games I've bought this year are remakes/remasters already.