• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
So the Japanese version still doesn't have same sex marriage? :(
It is called best friends in the Japanese version:
One major change between both the original version and the remake, as well as between our version and the Japanese version, concerns what has been called the "Best Friends" system in the Japanese release, where the player character can form a lifelong partnership with a character of the same sex. In our version, this will just be called "marriage," and the relationship between same-sex couples will be given identical treatment to opposite-sex couples. This has been a very long time coming in the STORY OF SEASONS series, and the producer has been supportive of our decision from very early in development. One minor but important change for the North American and European releases of Friends of Mineral Town is that the "heart icon" indicating a marriage candidate's romantic affinity for the player will display for all marriage candidates from the start of the game, where in the Japanese release it will only display for same-sex candidates after you confess and start dating.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
14 year old me pre-ordered IoH and boy did I ever feel let down my its crop system. I should have taken the GameStop cashier trying to hand me Tree of Tranquility as a warning. Yes, both of the original mines are in this remake:

Mining | Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town

There are two mines in SoS:FoMT. Each mine has a variety of ores, gems, and some special items.
I can't remember if I pre-ordered it or not but I remember getting it at or near release day. One of the few HM/SoS games I never bothered trying to play much of, it was ridiculous the way they handled crops. Certainly a neat idea to have crop star levels or such but they went way overboard with many things in that game.

ToT and Animal Parade are great, so many memories of Animal Parade, I purposely avoided getting married until I made sure to get enough hearts with all the other townsfolk so that they all could get married first.

Thanks for the link!

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the double post but has anyone ever pre-ordered a game directly from the X-seed store? That's what I did long ago with this game. Wonder when it'll ship or if I'll get it on release.

Kirie

Oct 25, 2017
Ughhh my copy from Amazon isn't going to be here until the 16th :( I've already played it in Japanese, but I'm impatient dammit!

I know a lot of people have qualms about the art style, but I really personally think it looks way better in motion. You get used to it pretty quickly imo!

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Should come on release but guarantees on that are off because of the pandemic.

Thanks! Yeah true, if I don't get it on release day I won't be upset as I understand. I just wanted to pre-order it directly from Xseed as the strawberry Cow plush is adorable and will look great next to my full size Cow plush and in the past a couple times I never got the pre-order bonus from Amazon, gamestop or such when picking up/receiving it in the mail.

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! Yeah true, if I don't get it on release day I won't be upset as I understand. I just wanted to pre-order it directly from Xseed as the strawberry Cow plush is adorable and will look great next to my full size Cow plush and in the past a couple times I never got the pre-order bonus from Amazon, gamestop or such when picking up/receiving it in the mail.
Y'all Americans getting all the good preorder bonuses ㅠㅠ

a glitch

Dec 12, 2018
Is there any word on how much they're charging for this in the UK? I'd get this if it was around £30-35 but not if they're doing a $1 = £1 conversion (which seems to be quite common still for some reason)

Deleted member 8005

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So if I was choosing between this or doreamon which would people think is better for me? I have played all previous 3ds ones.

Is there any word on how much they're charging for this in the UK? I'd get this if it was around £30-35 but not if they're doing a $1 = £1 conversion (which seems to be quite common still for some reason)

£43 on Nintendo eshop

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So if I was choosing between this or doreamon which would people think is better for me? I have played all previous 3ds ones.
Why not both?

If you haven't played Friends of Mineral Town or have played it and want nostalgic memories, play this game.

If you want SoS with Doraemon like storylines and feature, play Doraemon.

They're both great in their own ways, however Doraemon peaks more in graphics. That game is bootiful.

Deleted member 8005

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why not both?

If you haven't played Friends of Mineral Town or have played it and want nostalgic memories, play this game.

If you want SoS with Doraemon like storylines and feature, play Doraemon.

They're both great in their own ways, however Doraemon peaks more in graphics. That game is bootiful.

May do both but will be getting one first then the other.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
No not in Australia. XSeed doesn't distribute the games here and I don't think Marvelous is incentivised to bring in bonuses to a small portion of the country. :(

I think (?) it's the same in Europe as well?

Awww sorry to hear, I tried googling to see if EU was getting it but it doesn't seem so either =/

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
How's the pacing in Doraemon? One thing I strongly dislike about recent Harvest Moon games is how long days last.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's because Magical melody is my favorite game in the series but I personally like the artstyle of the remake.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Could a game owner checked if the game interface is multilingual ? Thanks!
Uk/Pal version here. Everything seems to change when I switch between languages. (English, French, German and Spanish)
Can only change via the Options menu on the Title Screen. The only thing that doesn't change is the title/logo which is still Friends of Mineral Town.

Anything specific you're looking for?

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Funny enough I asked about when Xseed stores ship pre-orders earlier today and just checked my email and saw this

Screenshot-8.jpg

Now the wait begins.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I never played Friends of Mineral Town, although I do know a few things about the series in general.

My experience with Harvest Moon "Story of Seasons" is only comes from the original on the SNES and Animal Parade on the Wii, but I guess this would be a good way to experience this game, not that I own a GBA to play the original to begin with.

I know the GBA original had Link Cable support with the Gamecube HM: It's a Wonderful Life being able to unlock several pieces of music from SNES and N64 games. I wonder if this content will be available in the this re-release.

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
Uk/Pal version here. Everything seems to change when I switch between languages. (English, French, German and Spanish)
Can only change via the Options menu on the Title Screen. The only thing that doesn't change is the title/logo which is still Friends of Mineral Town.

Anything specific you're looking for?
Nope, that's it, thanks! I couldn't see why it would be different in NA release though, I've been burned in the past.

Wanace

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly looks not great. I am a huge fan of the original and still play it on GBA on occasion. I don't see any incentive to drop dough for this version.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
huh did not know this was a thing.

Never got far with FoMT as I got into the series around the time Rune Factory was a thing. Don't know how I feel about dropping $80 dollarydoos on it either given I've been burnt with the poor games that were some of the later story of seasons games.

Might wait for some more impressions/wait for a sale, as much as I enjoyed stardew valley and my time at portia, they've got distinctly different vibes.

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Never got far with FoMT as I got into the series around the time Rune Factory was a thing. Don't know how I feel about dropping $80 dollarydoos on it either given I've been burnt with the poor games that were some of the later story of seasons games.
Reckon it will drop to $49 like how Doraemon dropped shortly after it released.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
My sister got her's and subsequently my copy today! (Will be at least six weeks, if not even more until I get to play it though)
T9Z4vUw.jpg

Awww yay! Congrats! :D My tracking updated and shows that it'll be delivered Tuesday so R.I.P the dream of getting it early but oh well haha
Box art is so lovely as usual, wonder if there's a reversible cover.

Deleted member 4434

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FoMT was the first HM I played, and though I've played most of the later ones, including the 2nd SoS game, I never enjoyed them as much and always returned to playing that one.

I'm really tempted to get it, but after spending a fortune on those other games only to come back to GBA FoMT in the end, I'm still on the fence.

Nov 1, 2017
Jesus Christ, why does time move so quickly? In most of the original games 10 seconds = 10 minute of game time, this game doubles it so 5 seconds = 10 minutes of game time. Half the day is gone before I'm done with the chores.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I never played Friends of Mineral Town on the GBA, the only Harvest Moon game I've played is A Wonderful Life on the Gamecube which I really adored.

Hows this one compare? I'm looking for something to take over my Animal Crossing spot after hitting a lack of content wall in it.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I'll pick this up eventually but I'm still putting hours into Animal Crossing everyday, so it seems a bit silly get this at the moment. I thought I'd stop with AC by now, too.

Deleted member 4434

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ, why does time move so quickly? In most of the original games 10 seconds = 10 minute of game time, this game doubles it so 5 seconds = 10 minutes of game time. Half the day is gone before I'm done with the chores.
Aiyaa for real? I remember I was struggling getting everything done in the GBA game, especially with a ton of crops outside. Did they speed chores up too?
Does time stop inside the barns like in the previous game?

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
I never played Friends of Mineral Town on the GBA, the only Harvest Moon game I've played is A Wonderful Life on the Gamecube which I really adored.

Hows this one compare? I'm looking for something to take over my Animal Crossing spot after hitting a lack of content wall in it.

FoMT is based on Back to Nature for PS1, which I loved along with HM64 which came before it. I remember being really excited for Wonderful Life before it dropped, and was really disappointed with it when I played it. Couldn't you not even get married in this one?

Anyway, this should scratch that itch for you. If it's anything like Back to Nature, which it's based on, it should be really addicting.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
FoMT is based on Back to Nature for PS1, which I loved along with HM64 which came before it. I remember being really excited for Wonderful Life before it dropped, and was really disappointed with it when I played it. Couldn't you not even get married in this one?

Anyway, this should scratch that itch for you. If it's anything like Back to Nature, which it's based on, it should be really addicting.
You could get married in Wonderful Life.

But sounds like you have high praise for Friends of Mineral Town regardless. I'll probably snag it, thanks!

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Aiyaa for real? I remember I was struggling getting everything done in the GBA game, especially with a ton of crops outside. Did they speed chores up too?
Time stops inside but if the impressions are true the passing of time hasn't changed from the GBA game.

Personally I much prefer the faster paced Harvest moon games. Days in enties like Animal Parade or the 3DS games lasted way to long.

Deleted member 4434

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Time stops inside but if the impressions are true the passing of time hasn't changed from the GBA game.

Personally I much prefer the faster paced Harvest moon games. Days in enties like Animal Parade or the 3DS games lasted way to long.
Thank you! I looked up some gameplay of the first game, as it's been a while since I last played it, and it seems time doesn't progress faster luckily.

Nov 1, 2017
I think time stops inside all buildings per the GBA game, the game does have some annoying long animations when you get fatigued and stuff but thankfully time stops then as well.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017

A Wonderful Life does a lot different from most of the other games in the franchise. Cows actually have to birth a calf to give milk, NPCs age, your child has interests that can be molded by the player, seasons are only ten days, fewer marriage candidates, it has a chapter system, and ultimately has an ending (some of the enhanced versions changed this) for example.

FoMT and most others in the series have a lot more marriage candidates, many more days in each season, cows do not have to give birth to produce milk, more festivals, and while some have a story they do not have an ending and can be played indefinitely.

Pastel Melon

Jan 2, 2020
Germany
My game came a few days ago, so I already played to autumn and it's funny because all the things I learned from the original (and BtN) still apply. I could trigger all the events exactly as I did them in FoMT. It's even possible to gain money with the "derby trick" still.

Sometimes the game feels like it did stick to the original a bit TOO much. Like: Why don't I have something to put my lumber & stones into? I mean, I can stuff them in the cabinet but newer games had a specific shed for that. Also, you can only switch screens while being exactly on the path and not on the gras etc., as well as people "sticking" to me when I walk into them.
Those things were in the OG FoMT already but why not update them?

Cute is, that the conversations change depending on who you met already at the black heart events. I am not sure, if it was always like that but it is a nice touch.

I love the game but I am not sure if it is worth full price. Right now it feels like you could easily just pull out your GBA and play FoMT on that, and you still have the almost same experience (maybe even with a more pleasent style, if you don't like the chibi stuff), it feels a bit outdated at times. The new characters are okay. I like Brandon but Jennifer is a bit too spiritual for me, so I could do without them.

Also: The game feels incredibly easy, if you really know stuff from the OG. I had so much money right off the bat, because I did the derby trick and just spammed the spirits with grass (not weed!), so they could water my 10 x 9 fields of pineapple in summer. It's still so easy to "break" the game. (I personally don't mind it but that just shows how similar it is to the OG because every trick that worked over 15 years ago, still works perfectly fine).