• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I dunno if I'll get this. Never played the original and I'm still in the middle of playing the first Story of Seasons on the 3DS (or at least the first one that used the Story of Season name). I'm still on my first year despite starting it in like 2016.
This game is much better than the first story of seasons. Much better pacing and more things to do every day

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I mean there's two new romantic storylines to go through 😖

I'm just scared for the Story of Seasons franchise at this point, it seems like they're pulling out their big guns and if no ones gonna buy, it's going to be over.
Story of Seasons isn't in any danger of being over, so I wouldn't worry.
No!

Stop!

I don't like the name changes :(
The names are different because the characters in this game are actually descendants of the characters from the original Harvest Moon and Natsume always ignored that.
From what I saw in Japan it looks like it sold pretty well though? I dunno what's up with the franchise though, feels like they must have run into some issues with HD development. We were getting entries constantly in the 3DS era and then the first time we see something from them in the Switch era it looks worse than RFF on the Wii. I really hope this is just the testing entry and the next new game looks good.
Based on what we know the look of this game was intentional. The next new game will look different.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Have there been any Switch impressions? As long as there aren't any major performance issues or bugs I'll probably be going with that one (and eventually pick it up on Steam whenever it goes on sale).

The Switch version plays like a dream. Extremely smooth. Feels 100x better than the original GBA release, that's for sure.

From what I saw in Japan it looks like it sold pretty well though? I dunno what's up with the franchise though, feels like they must have run into some issues with HD development. We were getting entries constantly in the 3DS era and then the first time we see something from them in the Switch era it looks worse than RFF on the Wii. I really hope this is just the testing entry and the next new game looks good.

FoMT was not made by the main development team, which is still working on the next game. I guess there's definitely some concern, since they've been working on the next game for so long though... Either way, the design of SoS FoMT is the way it is because

2db3677f779093c006dd4a3c1b62e03e19b9c80a.png

well, it's a pretty faithful remake.

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Which Balchelor/Bachelorette is everyone planning on going with?

When I was young I gravitated towards Ran and Popurri, but this time I may go with Marie.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
This is commonly considered one of the good ones yeah? Alongside 64 and back to nature?

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
It's actually reviewing higher than I expected which is surprising considering the poor graphics. Makes me wonder how well-received a bigger budget entry would be.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Art style isn't my favourite but I'm hyped to get this when I'm done xenoblade. One of my favourite harvest moon games ever with lots of quality of life improvements. Sign me up

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Based on what we know the look of this game was intentional. The next new game will look different.

I hope so!

FoMT was not made by the main development team, which is still working on the next game. I guess there's definitely some concern, since they've been working on the next game for so long though... Either way, the design of SoS FoMT is the way it is because

2db3677f779093c006dd4a3c1b62e03e19b9c80a.png

well, it's a pretty faithful remake.

Still? Well I can only hope the new game blows us out of the water after all this time. And well, they tried with the design but I don't think it worked out.

Oct 27, 2017
the weird thing about the art style / graphics is that they would be pretty great a couple/few generations ago. like, they're not technically terrible or anything. just really generic.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I hope so!

Still? Well I can only hope the new game blows us out of the water after all this time. And well, they tried with the design but I don't think it worked out.
I mean you can just look at the 3DS and Wii games to see that the next game will look different lol.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

When I was young I gravitated towards Ran and Popurri, but this time I may go with Marie.

Marie every time since 64.

Yeah, it seems ridiculous. I seriously, seriously hope the next mainline game is gonna be mindblowing for all the time they've taken.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Super excited for this! While I have definitely enjoyed the other recent 3DS titles, I am glad this game is more simplistic in that you have the pre-set field, not as many crop stats, and you do not have to worry about trees growing all on your land randomly. Also an actual mine versus the mining spots means I will enjoy mining again versus just cheesing it for the minerals/gems I wanted.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Still not a fan of the new art style, but I'm very glad that gay marriage will be an option without any lame qualifications, or being locked out of certain content for pursuing it.

(Rick got the biggest/only glow up for the dudes.)

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
So excited for this game as I never got to play the Mineral town games before, looks amazing and charming. The series is one of my favorites of all time.

I know some of the earlier games in the series have a time limit where the game ends after a year or 2, does this game have one or can you theoretically play forever?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
So excited for this game as I never got to play the Mineral town games before, looks amazing and charming. The series is one of my favorites of all time.

I know some of the earlier games in the series have a time limit where the game ends after a year or 2, does this game have one or can you theoretically play forever?
This one can go forever.

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
is the doctor really named "Doctor"? anyway, i'll gay marry that dude.
Yes. Doctor was named Doctor in FoMT and his name is the same here.

So wait, did they really not end up adding back the things FoMT got rid of from BTN?
What did they get rid of?

I kind of want this on switch, but I wouldnt mind it on steam as well. What are you guys going for?
Switch mainly for its portability factor.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Super excited for this! While I have definitely enjoyed the other recent 3DS titles, I am glad this game is more simplistic in that you have the pre-set field, not as many crop stats, and you do not have to worry about trees growing all on your land randomly. Also an actual mine versus the mining spots means I will enjoy mining again versus just cheesing it for the minerals/gems I wanted.
I really liked the DS games but my gosh I hope the series never goes back to as complicated as Isle of Happines/Sunshine Isles with crop stats and special care and all that. I really liked the newer games but my favorite in the series is Magical Melody so it's nice to go back to a simpler SoS game in regards to crops. Neat to know that FoMT has an actual mine.

Nov 2, 2017
What did they get rid of?
A lot of events were removed. For example, Won's introduction was far more involved in BTN. Some minor villagers too irc. One major thing FOMT got rid of was the reveal that whoever you married was the girl from the initial flashback.

The biggest thing though was some festivals. There was a tomato throwing festival in BTN that got removed.

It's been a while, but I started with FoMT, and when I played BTN later I was blown away by how much was lost in the transition.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I forgot this was coming out! I actually very recently managed to extract my save from More Friends of Mineral Town (doing a mass back-up of my games). It's from 2009.

It was a game that I played a whole lot on my Gameboy Micro without much idea what to do, but it provided a lot of needed comfort at the time. Looking at my data I barely did anything, but the memories flood back to me, especially the music! Nostalgia hits hard!

Woylie

May 9, 2018
God, I wish I had anything good to say about the way this game looks. I like the new portraits, though what they did to Karen bums me out. There are some ok-looking depth of field things that make it look a bit more "diorama-like," but generally it just looks really cheap, particularly when you hold it up to other games on Switch like Link's Awakening. I think it looks worse than Stardew Valley does, aesthetically.

Which is a shame! FOMT is one of my favorite games of all time, in spite of the many janky things about the original release. I can't imagine paying $50 for this game right now, but I think I'll pick it up in a sale, because I'm sure that the core gameplay underneath is still wonderful, and I'm interested in seeing the romances with the new characters. If anyone hasn't played FOMT before, it's definitely a great place to start with the series! I'd even recommend checking out the original version (which I believe is on Wii U VC) if the new art style turns you off too much.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I really liked the DS games but my gosh I hope the series never goes back to as complicated as Isle of Happines/Sunshine Isles with crop stats and special care and all that. I really liked the newer games but my favorite in the series is Magical Melody so it's nice to go back to a simpler SoS game in regards to crops. Neat to know that FoMT has an actual mine.
14 year old me pre-ordered IoH and boy did I ever feel let down my its crop system. I should have taken the GameStop cashier trying to hand me Tree of Tranquility as a warning. Yes, both of the original mines are in this remake:

Mining | Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town

There are two mines in SoS:FoMT. Each mine has a variety of ores, gems, and some special items.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Reviews are already up on Metacritic, sitting at a 77 which is probably in the high end of what I expected.

Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town

Originally released for the Nintendo Game Boy Advance in 2003, STORY OF SEASONS: Friends of Mineral Town is a complete remake that will let series fans revisit the charming world of Mineral Town, while also introducing it to a new generation of farmers. In this peaceful setting, players will...

I gave it a 7
My opinion is that it is a good product, in terms of pacing, gameplay, variety of things to do, with a charming OST and atmosphere
but the art style isn't that great and generally, the production values aren't that high: I think that Doraemon Story of Seasons was a more compelling product for the Switch (production values-wise) and I hope that both Rune Factory 5 and the next brand new Story of Season will take a different approach in terms of camera, artstyle, tech engine and so on

Switchitalia.it: 7/10

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
It's time for the Tree of Tranquillity/Animal Parade sub-series to come back into the spotlight!

Same art style as they were originally, just polished up a bit. And please let Cain be a marriage candidate this time! (Sorry Helen[?])

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
am I the only on that is hoping for both Rune Factory 5 and the new SoS to have an approach similar to Rune Factory Frontier/Atelie Ryza, in terms of camera, 3D models, landscape and engine?

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
It's time for the Tree of Tranquillity/Animal Parade sub-series to come back into the spotlight!

Same art style as they were originally, just polished up a bit. And please let Cain be a marriage candidate this time! (Sorry Helen[?])
Yeah I was hoping that the switch games would return to this artstyle instead of continuing on the handheld games tbh

HylianHero12

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio

I always went with Ran or Karen. Will probably pick one of them again. Maybe Popurri?

It's been so long since I've played a Story of Seasons game. I was really excited to see this OT and that the game was coming out soon. I played the original so much as a kid.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I'm not crazy on the art style either and the side by side screenshots just make me realise how wonderfully well the original style has aged but I'm really impressed with how quick and snappy it seems to run based on gameplay footage so I think I'll get used to it.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
God, I wish I had anything good to say about the way this game looks. I like the new portraits, though what they did to Karen bums me out. There are some ok-looking depth of field things that make it look a bit more "diorama-like," but generally it just looks really cheap, particularly when you hold it up to other games on Switch like Link's Awakening. I think it looks worse than Stardew Valley does, aesthetically.

Which is a shame! FOMT is one of my favorite games of all time, in spite of the many janky things about the original release. I can't imagine paying $50 for this game right now, but I think I'll pick it up in a sale, because I'm sure that the core gameplay underneath is still wonderful, and I'm interested in seeing the romances with the new characters. If anyone hasn't played FOMT before, it's definitely a great place to start with the series! I'd even recommend checking out the original version (which I believe is on Wii U VC) if the new art style turns you off too much.

Not sure why they made such drastic changes, the new male looks extremely generic compared to the iconic one. I also hate what they did to Karen.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

The game definitely looks better in motion. Already preordered for the cow costume. If only they re-release the original on the Switch. Would probably be better efforts from Natsume than to make bad clones.

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wish I ordered it off the eShop, should be out for all Australians now.

Instead I'm stuck in another state and thus can't collect it for six weeks ;-;

Intraxidance

Oct 25, 2017
I totally agree with the hate on the art style, but the biggest thing that jumps out at me is the head size compared to those teeny tiny little bodies. The proportions are very peculiar.

It really just looks like a high res 3DS game

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ordered on steam due to regional prices being considerably lower than the switch price and am looking forward to revisiting it.

I like some of the redesigns but I dont like Popurri. She looks too much like a child even when taking into consideration that the game has a chibi art style. Which is a shame as she was my favourite from the old game. Will probably go with Jennifer or Karen.

But honestly I'm just looking forward to replaying it. After all the praise I sang it while introducing my partner to stardew valley I hope Im not blinded by nostalgia.

Shame it looks so generic tho.

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Was a huge fan of 64 and Back to Nature, and remember getting (but not really sticking with) FoMT on GBA. It's trippy seeing the video above and recognizing most of the map and hearing the music again from Back to Nature. Am I crazy, or did the blacksmith's shop used to be just up the path from your home to the left in BtN?

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, I know these love interests from the n64 game. What gives?

Mineral Town is basically a weird alternate universe version of Flowerbud Village that was made when the team that was supposed to just port 64 to PlayStation didn't have any oversight and went completely off the rails. Families, characteristics, and personalities got completely shuffled around or changed in the process. Though the good thing is this Mineral Town remake actually gives the characters new designs that reflect their new personalities after 20 years of re-using the 64 designs that don't really fit them.

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Mineral Town is basically a weird alternate universe version of Flowerbud Village that was made when the team that was supposed to just port 64 to PlayStation didn't have any oversight and went completely off the rails. Families, characteristics, and personalities got completely shuffled around or changed in the process. Though the good thing is this Mineral Town remake actually gives the characters new designs that reflect their new personalities after 20 years of re-using the 64 designs that don't really fit them.
What's ironic is that this game really brought people to love the franchise and what really made Story of Seasons what it is as of today.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
It's funny how in A wonderful life both Flowerbud and Mineral Town are mentioned

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What's ironic is that this game really brought people to love the franchise and what really made Story of Seasons what it is as of today.

I vastly prefer 64 and the original Flowerbud Village storylines but there's definitely no denying Friends of Mineral Town took off on GBA and a lot of people back then learned about the series through it. I'm just glad these alternate versions of the characters finally have their own designs.